Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 26
Re: Keith Richards at Hubert Sumlin Memorial Concert NYC Feb 24
Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 26, 2012 05:13

lots of nice photos taken by DearDoctor at Shidoobee:

[shidoobeewithstonesdoug.yuku.com]

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 26, 2012 05:29

From RS mag:

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: February 26, 2012 06:01

Can you - or any of the other people on this board who are appreciative of Mr. Sumlin's contributions - please recommend one or two discs that capture him at his best? I want to give it a listen.

Grateful,

MrMonte

Re: Keith Richards - Howling For Hubert - video.
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 26, 2012 06:24

DREAMTIME
Roadster32
How old was the guy filming this one? 120?

You Wish You Could Do Better On Your Best Day! Action Speaks Louder Than Your Dumb Words!

Do you see any other full songs posted? 99% of people can't hold a camera that long. When you use zoom on a compact camera you get more shaking. People moving and bumping into you. Security looking to stop you. Trying not to spoil other people's view.

Get A Life - Not A Tattoo

Hey Dreamtime, first of all thanks for sharing your videos.

did you know that YouTube has a new gizmo that stabilizes shakey videos?
it's in the video editing section when you're logged in and it works pretty well on the allready uploaded clip.
please have a look at it.
cheers

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: February 26, 2012 06:47

stonesrule
Nice to hear Eric Clapton, someone who actually still knows how to play the blues, wrote an honest and classy book. Wonder if he'd be interested in being hidden under the stage.

I can't believe he is only 2 years younger than Keith. It looks and sounds like there's 20 years between them.

Posted by: jimjamaica ()
Date: February 26, 2012 06:52

hopefully plays richards soon with wood in its show, or still better watts & the others also play

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 26, 2012 07:09

Justin
From RS mag:

Eric has touring hair...And Mardi Gras beads?....Keith? He holds the guitar nice.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Re: Keith Richards - Howling For Hubert - video.
Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: February 26, 2012 07:11

open-g
DREAMTIME
Roadster32
How old was the guy filming this one? 120?

You Wish You Could Do Better On Your Best Day! Action Speaks Louder Than Your Dumb Words!

Do you see any other full songs posted? 99% of people can't hold a camera that long. When you use zoom on a compact camera you get more shaking. People moving and bumping into you. Security looking to stop you. Trying not to spoil other people's view.

Get A Life - Not A Tattoo

Hey Dreamtime, first of all thanks for sharing your videos.

did you know that YouTube has a new gizmo that stabilizes shakey videos?
it's in the video editing section when you're logged in and it works pretty well on the allready uploaded clip.
please have a look at it.
cheers

Thank-you very much for that info. I just tried it twice but it freezes before finishing video. Goes into buffering. It looks like it works but adds a little bluriness. I'll keep trying until it finishes one video and I can review it. Thanks Again.

Posted by: MRambler ()
Date: February 26, 2012 08:35

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 26, 2012 09:38

schillid
I don't know all the players' names...
So if anyone wants to identify the main players and song names in each of the clips, then I can retitle the clip appropriately.

schillid honey, see Keessie's post on page 14: [www.iorr.org]
which indicates that Gary Clark Jr played on every number Clapton fronted - is that right?
and then Clapton played on one of the numbers Keith fronted

as for "the harmonica player is the problem" ... that's James Cotton.
Q: what is the classy thing to do when you're playing with a giant legendary player who's having trouble?
A: what Keith did

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: February 26, 2012 10:12

thewatchman
stoned in washington dc
man my impression based on the pictures: Keith looks too thin! Compared with the video meeting Peter Wolf - I think this was from last year- he looks like he's lost weight.. he does not look good. Forget about the music chops, he looks too thin.

The thinner the better. He was showing too much water retention in his face recently. He looks great.

You need help.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 26, 2012 10:48

MrMonte
Can you - or any of the other people on this board who are appreciative of Mr. Sumlin's contributions - please recommend one or two discs that capture him at his best?

try Howlin Wolf's so-called "rocking chair album", which i can only find in this set with Moanin in the Moonlight: [www.amazon.com]
(but i've never heard that particular disk so i can't tell you if the audio quality is what it should be)

and his last album - About Them Shoes - sounds great: [www.amazon.com]

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 26, 2012 10:58

seitan
KeithNacho
austrianstones
i`m a little bit dru.....drinking smiley

but compare,

Even in this performance, the guitar skills of our friend are so limited and basic; maybe he moves more, but his licks are always the very same since 1992. He was already downwards as guitar player many years ago.

So you bring out an old video with lot of guitar players - and you bitch when Keith doesnt steal a show and play like Eddie Van Halen in a basic country song where there´s hardly any solo´s to begin with. How smart. And you bitch that he hasnt turned into Satriani over the years. Really, very smart from you...what an ass..

lot of guitarists? There is just one with an electric telecaster custom ; even when this man was begining a solo KR begun antother solo to bury him in the mix.
KR is losing his touch long time ago............ just compare SFTD solo in flashpint and theone on SAL. Find me a single KR interesting solo in VL, BTB and ABB.
I love KR, and that's why i play guitar, but he is done very long ago

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 26, 2012 11:19

DREAMTIME
My full length videos of Keith may well be the only ones out there.

And I thank you for that

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: February 26, 2012 11:20

And thank you schillid

-------------------

Date: February 26, 2012 12:06

Eric Clapton still plays great with that typical Clapton sound. The problem is his discography during last 20 years or more. Therer are some nice records, but others are very bad. Anyway, i enjoyed and appreciated the last record calles CLAPTON, very interesting work. Has anybody heard the Wiston Masraslis record with EC??:

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 26, 2012 12:33

Imagine Keith would have played
like this Poppa Chubby guy, there would be no
discussion whether to tour or not...

Stones with Hubert Sumlin, MSG 2003

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-26 12:44 by TooTough.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 26, 2012 12:58

Well, it is clear (or isn't it?) that Keith won't have a major influence, as a guitar player, on the next tour (probably because of fingers, understandably)....but that's the way it is. Not much he can do about it. That's why they should balance it with the presence of MT and BW...everybody happy. Well, I would be

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-26 14:29 by Harm.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: February 26, 2012 13:53

MRambler

I fail to see what's so bad about Keith here.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: February 26, 2012 13:59

Don't understand when I try to sign up as a new member what does "Preferred BitTorrent Client" mean, What should I write there,

Thanks
Carlitos
Tenerife

Keessie
Now on Dime !!!!
[www.dimeadozen.org]

Howlin' For Hubert
The Apollo Theater
NY, NY
Febraury 24, 2012

This was a benefit show for the Jazz Foundation of America, which helps impoverished musicians (not just jazz musicians) pay the bills for their basic necessities. It was to have been a celebration of Hubert's 80th birthday, but since he passed away, it became a memorial show.

I have never experienced such a stunning array of talent displayed at a single show. I have tried my best with the track titles and artists on stage,but given the changes and number of artists, it was quite a chore- any corrections would be appreciated. There was a video played at the beginning of the show, but since I do not know its source and whether any of the music played was commercially released, I just left the last 30 or so seconds, per the suggestions of the mods. There were no cameras present to indicate a DVD was shot. A CD release would be very difficult, given the contracts of all the various artists, so enjoy it in its glory.

Hats off the the 1500 seat Apollo Theater in Harlem. The venue did the show full justice.

Source: CA-14 cards at rear of lower mezzanine, center > CA9100 > Edirol R-09HR @ 24/48 > Kingston SDHC > Audacity 1.3 Eqd, tracks split, downsampled to 16/44.1 > flac (level8)
Taper: absnj

First Set
1. Video Fades In
2. Key To The Highway (Eric Clapton and James Cotton)
3. Jeffrey Wright Introduction
4. Big Head Todd Intro
4. Roll Where You Want Hubert Sumlin (Big Head Todd)
6. Jimmy Vaughan Intro
7. Six Strings Down (Jimmy Vaughan)
8. Jody Williams and Kenny Waynbe Shepherd Intros
9. Lucky You (Jody Williams and Kenny Wayne Shepherd)
10. Jimmy Vivino and David Johansen Intros
11. Evil (Jody Williams, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Jimmy Vivino, David Johansen and Kim Wilson)
12. Ronnie Baker Brooks and Lonnie Brooks Intros
13. Born In Chicago - Sweet Home Chicago (Ronnie Baker Brooks and Lonnie Brooks)
14. Eddy Shaw and Henry Gray Intros
15. Sittin' On top Of The World (Eddy Shaw and Henry Gray)
16. Elvis Costello Intro
17. Hidden Charms (Elvis Costello, Eddy shaw and Henry Gray)
18. Warren Haynes Intro
19. You'll Be Mine (Warren Haynes)
20. Billy Gibbons Intro
21. I Asked For Water (Warren Haynes and Billy Gibbons)
22. Mister Highway Man (Warren Haynes and Billy Gibbons)

Second Set
23. Intro To Jazz Foundation of American Director
24. Wendy Oxenhorn Speaks
25. Toni Ann Mamary (Hubert's Manager) Speaks
26. House Band Intros
27. Who's Been Talking (Kim Wilson)
28. Keb Mo Intro
29. Howlin' For My Baby (with Eddy Shaw)
30. Doyle Bramhall Intro
31. Commit a Crime (with Jimmy Vaughan and Keb Mo)
32. Derek Trucks Intro
33. Meet Me At the Bottom (with Jimmy Vaughan)
34. Susan Tedeschi Intro
35. How Many More Years
36. Three Hundred Pounds Of Joy
37. Robert Randolph Intro
38. Who Do You Love (with Jody Williams)
39. Buddy Guy Intro
40. Quinn Sullivan Intro
41. Goin' Down Slow
42. Hocchie Koochie Man (Buddy Guy and Robert Randolph)
43. Shemekia Copeland Intro
44. Beggin' You Please(Buddy Guy and Shemekia Copeland)
45. Gary Clark Jr. Intro
46. Catfish Blues
47. Eric Clapton Intro
48. Shake For Me (with Gary Clark Jr.)
49. Little Baby (with Gary Clark Jr.)
50. 44 Blues (with Gary Clark Jr. and Jody Williams)
51. Goin' Down Slow (with Keith Richards and Gary Clark Jr.)
52. Keith Richards Intro
53. Little Red Rooster (Keith Richards and James Cotton)
54. Spoonful (with Keith Richards, Eric Clapton and James Cotton)
55. Wang Dang Doodle (All Musicians on stage)
56. Smokestack Lightning (All Musicians on stage)

House Band:
Willie Weeks - Electric bass
Larry The Mole Taylor- Standup Bass
Billy Flynn- Guitar
Eddie Taylor Jr.- Guitar
Danny Kootch Kortchmar- Guitar
Barrelhouse Chuck Goering- Upright piano
Ivan neville- Organ, electric piano
Jimmy Lee Keltner- Drums
Steve Jordan- Drums, musical director
Kim Wilson- Harp, vocals

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 26, 2012 14:01

with sssoul
MrMonte
Can you - or any of the other people on this board who are appreciative of Mr. Sumlin's contributions - please recommend one or two discs that capture him at his best?

try Howlin Wolf's so-called "rocking chair album", which i can only find in this set with Moanin in the Moonlight: [www.amazon.com]
(but i've never heard that particular disk so i can't tell you if the audio quality is what it should be)

and his last album - About Them Shoes - sounds great: [www.amazon.com]

the trax on the rocking chair album are great..but the three cd boxset of wolf's chess recordings should be in every serious blues fan's collection...that set contains all the essential trax with sumlin....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-26 14:02 by StonesTod.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 26, 2012 14:11

Bärs
MRambler

I fail to see what's so bad about Keith here too...

( In fact there was lot of energy in Keith´s vocals, much more than what Micks recent gig had - Keith wasnt out of breath like Mick at his recent Obama party, - Keith did a great job on the vocals - and his ragged voice is perfect for blues - and I notice that in the house full of guitar players - Keith had no reason to overplay his hand and play guitar solo´s...- Not that he didnt - He played a solo at the very end of the song - and it´s fine. Keith has style, class and real sense of the music style he´s doing - this aint no Satriani Heavy metal guitar heroism - This is old school traditional blues and Keith did a great job. Bring on the Rolling Stones Tour...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-26 14:52 by seitan.

Date: February 26, 2012 14:48

Thank you!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 26, 2012 14:51

His Majesty
Bittersweet viewing.

life has battered Keith's abilities as a guitar player, but kudos to him for putting across his love for Hubert via some heartfelt singing.

I watched the videos more, especially one recorded from a different angle where Keith's guitar on Spoonful is more clearer on some than others. Basically repeated viewing has revealed to me that there's more to this than first meets the eye and ear. Typical Keith, there's some sweet stuff in there.

I think I'll amend my previous post to say...

... but kudos to him for putting across his love for Hubert via a heartfelt performance.

His guitar playing is simple, but it sounds authentic and it works nice and subtle in context. I think he did rise to the occasion, but in a different way to how Mick did at the White House.

smoking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-26 16:23 by His Majesty.

Date: February 26, 2012 14:55

seitan
Bärs
MRambler

I fail to see what's so bad about Keith here too...

( In fact there was lot of energy in Keith´s vocals, much more than what Micks recent gig had - Keith wasnt out of breath like Mick at his recent Obama party, - Keith did a great job on the vocals - and his ragged voice is perfect for blues - and I notice that in the house full of guitar players - Keith had no reason to overplay his hand and play guitar solo´s...- Not that he didnt - He played a solo at the very end of the song - and it´s fine. Keith has style, class and real sense of the music style he´s doing - this aint no Satriani Heavy metal guitar heroism - This is old school traditional blues and Keith did a great job. Bring on the Rolling Stones Tour...)

This all seems fine to me. This is how Keith has done his vocal stuff the last few tours - less playing while he's singing. He sounds fine and I don't you can draw conclusions one way or another regarding whether he can still play. It was tasteful and understated appropriate to the music. Not saying he's the guy he was thirty years ago - just saying that he sounds fine here and beyond that it's inconclusive. Jury is still out but I don't see anything to panic over.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: February 26, 2012 14:58

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-26 15:00 by Ket.

Date: February 26, 2012 15:02

thewatchman
stonesdan60
I see a lot of judgements based on one-off performances that were not typical of what the Stones do. Mick is being judged for being out of breath after the first song at the White House. Maybe he was hyped up and nervous. He seemed to pull it back together and do great on the other numbers. He still appears to have a lot of energy and sounded good to me. Keith is being judged for a non-typical tribute gig? He doesn't look well? Consider his age. Maybe if he and Mick were performing what they're used to doing with the Stones, they might give a totally different impression. Time will tell. If the Stones do actually do something I'm sure all of them will work hard at getting in shape and they still may surprise a lot of people. Keith has morphed into one of the old bluesmen he always admired. His playing at his age will naturally not show the agressive panache of Brussells or Hampton but he'll always be cool. People still go to see Chuck Berry at 85 and from videos I've seen, he REALLY can't play anymore. I think Keith will have the sense to lay back and not attempt to play things his fingers can't do anymore but I'm sure what he does play will still have that heart and soul that makes him so endearing to his fans.

Absolutely. You learn to pace yourself as you get older. They don't need to be bouncing all over anymore even if they can. I would like to see them do an all country album in their latter years. They always had the potential to be a great country band.

You guys are absolutely on target. The only thing I'd add is that from a fans perspective, I don't WANT Jagger trying to be old Jagger. He's at his best just singing and being "the lead singer of the band," and not "Frontman for Mick Jagger and His Rolling Stones." You get my point.

They should do 50 shows all over the world, and avoid the stadiums. Connect with the fans by dialing it down and being a real band representing who you are at this stage of your life. Go out with a flourish and make it great.

Date: February 26, 2012 15:18

All I would like to see Keith do in concert is to play a few more notes/chords for my hard earn coin! I don't think it's too much to ask! If he's not giving us any more licks than he should leave the guitar (prop) off!

Date: February 26, 2012 15:20

I loved both gigs.
I loved both Mick's and Keith's performances.
Is it still possible on this board to like Keith without bashing Mick ?
Is it still possible on this board to like Mick without bashing Keith ?

MICK AND KEITH WERE GREAT

-------------------

Date: February 26, 2012 15:28

OK, let's go, both were great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1642
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home