Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 26
Re: Keith Richards at Hubert Sumlin Memorial Concert NYC Feb 24
Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: February 26, 2012 00:04

dewlover
Call me crazy, but somehow I suspect a legendary musician like Keith Richards doesn't need ANY advice from a know-it-all named "Justin"spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

It´s not an advice, it´s a fact.

Posted by: Keessie ()
Date: February 26, 2012 00:09

Now on Dime !!!!
[www.dimeadozen.org]

Howlin' For Hubert
The Apollo Theater
NY, NY
Febraury 24, 2012

This was a benefit show for the Jazz Foundation of America, which helps impoverished musicians (not just jazz musicians) pay the bills for their basic necessities. It was to have been a celebration of Hubert's 80th birthday, but since he passed away, it became a memorial show.

I have never experienced such a stunning array of talent displayed at a single show. I have tried my best with the track titles and artists on stage,but given the changes and number of artists, it was quite a chore- any corrections would be appreciated. There was a video played at the beginning of the show, but since I do not know its source and whether any of the music played was commercially released, I just left the last 30 or so seconds, per the suggestions of the mods. There were no cameras present to indicate a DVD was shot. A CD release would be very difficult, given the contracts of all the various artists, so enjoy it in its glory.

Hats off the the 1500 seat Apollo Theater in Harlem. The venue did the show full justice.

Source: CA-14 cards at rear of lower mezzanine, center > CA9100 > Edirol R-09HR @ 24/48 > Kingston SDHC > Audacity 1.3 Eqd, tracks split, downsampled to 16/44.1 > flac (level8)
Taper: absnj

First Set
1. Video Fades In
2. Key To The Highway (Eric Clapton and James Cotton)
3. Jeffrey Wright Introduction
4. Big Head Todd Intro
4. Roll Where You Want Hubert Sumlin (Big Head Todd)
6. Jimmy Vaughan Intro
7. Six Strings Down (Jimmy Vaughan)
8. Jody Williams and Kenny Waynbe Shepherd Intros
9. Lucky You (Jody Williams and Kenny Wayne Shepherd)
10. Jimmy Vivino and David Johansen Intros
11. Evil (Jody Williams, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Jimmy Vivino, David Johansen and Kim Wilson)
12. Ronnie Baker Brooks and Lonnie Brooks Intros
13. Born In Chicago - Sweet Home Chicago (Ronnie Baker Brooks and Lonnie Brooks)
14. Eddy Shaw and Henry Gray Intros
15. Sittin' On top Of The World (Eddy Shaw and Henry Gray)
16. Elvis Costello Intro
17. Hidden Charms (Elvis Costello, Eddy shaw and Henry Gray)
18. Warren Haynes Intro
19. You'll Be Mine (Warren Haynes)
20. Billy Gibbons Intro
21. I Asked For Water (Warren Haynes and Billy Gibbons)
22. Mister Highway Man (Warren Haynes and Billy Gibbons)

Second Set
23. Intro To Jazz Foundation of American Director
24. Wendy Oxenhorn Speaks
25. Toni Ann Mamary (Hubert's Manager) Speaks
26. House Band Intros
27. Who's Been Talking (Kim Wilson)
28. Keb Mo Intro
29. Howlin' For My Baby (with Eddy Shaw)
30. Doyle Bramhall Intro
31. Commit a Crime (with Jimmy Vaughan and Keb Mo)
32. Derek Trucks Intro
33. Meet Me At the Bottom (with Jimmy Vaughan)
34. Susan Tedeschi Intro
35. How Many More Years
36. Three Hundred Pounds Of Joy
37. Robert Randolph Intro
38. Who Do You Love (with Jody Williams)
39. Buddy Guy Intro
40. Quinn Sullivan Intro
41. Goin' Down Slow
42. Hocchie Koochie Man (Buddy Guy and Robert Randolph)
43. Shemekia Copeland Intro
44. Beggin' You Please(Buddy Guy and Shemekia Copeland)
45. Gary Clark Jr. Intro
46. Catfish Blues
47. Eric Clapton Intro
48. Shake For Me (with Gary Clark Jr.)
49. Little Baby (with Gary Clark Jr.)
50. 44 Blues (with Gary Clark Jr. and Jody Williams)
51. Goin' Down Slow (with Keith Richards and Gary Clark Jr.)
52. Keith Richards Intro
53. Little Red Rooster (Keith Richards and James Cotton)
54. Spoonful (with Keith Richards, Eric Clapton and James Cotton)
55. Wang Dang Doodle (All Musicians on stage)
56. Smokestack Lightning (All Musicians on stage)

House Band:
Willie Weeks - Electric bass
Larry The Mole Taylor- Standup Bass
Billy Flynn- Guitar
Eddie Taylor Jr.- Guitar
Danny Kootch Kortchmar- Guitar
Barrelhouse Chuck Goering- Upright piano
Ivan neville- Organ, electric piano
Jimmy Lee Keltner- Drums
Steve Jordan- Drums, musical director
Kim Wilson- Harp, vocals

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: February 26, 2012 00:10

i`m a little bit dru.....drinking smiley

but compare,

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 26, 2012 00:11

austrianstones

Just a little bit ? smileys with beer Cheers

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: February 26, 2012 00:14

hi hansie,

yes.....

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: February 26, 2012 00:15

Thanks so much for posting the set list. I love Big Head Todd...good stuff.
Cheers,
Memphissmoking smiley

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 26, 2012 00:19

austrianstones

but compare,

Even in this performance, the guitar skills of our friend are so limited and basic; maybe he moves more, but his licks are always the very same since 1992. He was already downwards as guitar player many years ago.

Date: February 26, 2012 00:32

austrianstones

but compare,

Compared to this it´s so sad to see Keith now, it´s like night and day.

Date: February 26, 2012 00:34

KeithNacho
austrianstones

but compare,

Even in this performance, the guitar skills of our friend are so limited and basic; maybe he moves more, but his licks are always the very same since 1992. He was already downwards as guitar player many years ago.

Last tour he played well was Licks 2002-2003, he still had it back then.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: February 26, 2012 00:36

JumpinJeppeFlash

[www.stonesvikings.com]

It is true, and it saddens me, but I would not go see a future Stones show with Keith in this state. He's not just "rusty". I'm afraid that neurological damage caused by that tree incident in '06, arthritis, age, years of alcohol abuse, or most likely a combination of all those factors has left him permanently unable to play well by anyone's standards. No Keith, no Stones.

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: February 26, 2012 00:48

I think we agree (even Keith knows) he can't play guitar AND sing at the same time anymore. The clips from last night show him singing... with the guitar. I'm not saying he can definitely still play the guitar well, but maybe if he was JUST playing guitar (without singing at the same time) he could play well??? That is possible. We only saw him attempt what we already knew he could not do... do both at the same time. I'm sure weeks of rehearsals would also help. I admit it is possible he is done, but there is that "glimmer".

*I did not see all of the footage from last night. Was there parts I didn't see where he JUST played guitar WITHOUT singing... and couldn't do it??? (If so, I guess you can strike my post!)

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: February 26, 2012 00:48

JumpinJeppeFlash
dewlover
Call me crazy, but somehow I suspect a legendary musician like Keith Richards doesn't need ANY advice from a know-it-all named "Justin"spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

What is?

Date: February 26, 2012 00:52

I agree with DREAM, it really is surprising to see so many posts here that prove many of you know less than nothing about blues music...

...and the Keith critics are jerky, living in some sort of past fantasy world or something...

Date: February 26, 2012 00:53

dewlover
JumpinJeppeFlash
dewlover

What is?

Everything that Justin writes is facts, it has nothing to do with some kind of advice.

Date: February 26, 2012 00:53

dewlover
JumpinJeppeFlash
dewlover

What is?

LOL

-------------------

Date: February 26, 2012 00:55

JumpinJeppeFlash
dewlover
JumpinJeppeFlash
dewlover

What is?

Everything that Justin writes is facts, it has nothing to do with some kind of advice.

LOLouder

-------------------

Date: February 26, 2012 00:56

dewlover
I agree with DREAM, it really is surprising to see so many posts here that prove many of you know less than nothing about blues music...

...and the Keith critics are jerky, living in some sort of past fantasy world or something...

Fantasy world? Do you know what arthritis is? You don´t have any idea what you are talking about.

Date: February 26, 2012 00:56

JumpinJeppeFlash
dewlover
JumpinJeppeFlash
dewlover

What is?

You mean it's "facts" because YOU say it is?

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: February 26, 2012 01:04

Okay I watched Little Red Rooster. Keith's performance on this song was good (very basic on the guitar maybe, but good) The vocals were strong. The BIG problem was the harmonica player, who was not in the song at all, which I don't understand as the song itself is very basic. So in this song the harmonica player is the problem. Not Keith.

Date: February 26, 2012 01:05

dewlover
JumpinJeppeFlash
dewlover
JumpinJeppeFlash
dewlover

What is?

You mean it's "facts" because YOU say it is?

No, because i can see and listen for myself how bad Keith plays the guitar these days compared to 10-15 years ago. What Justin writes is very true about Keith and that´s not an advice it´s facts, it´s your problem if you don´t realize that.

"Either way, this is proof just how much time off can deteriorate Keith's abilities. Charlie has it right...you stay home, you get worse. So you go out and play. Keith does not do that. And while he sits around, his fingers get colder and colder, harder for them to move at all. Forget the solos and the leads...can Keith still play a guitar tuned to open G? Can he still strike "Start Me Up" or "Brown Sugar" If he can't...then the shows over"

Date: February 26, 2012 01:06

barbabang
So in this song the harmonica player is the problem. Not Keith.

Speaking of FACTS. Good example

-------------------

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 26, 2012 01:07

KeithNacho
austrianstones

but compare,

So you bring out an old video with lot of guitar players - and you bitch when Keith doesnt steal a show and play like Eddie Van Halen in a basic country song where there´s hardly any solo´s to begin with. How smart. And you bitch that he hasnt turned into Satriani over the years. Really, very smart from you...what an ass..

Date: February 26, 2012 01:09

OK Jeppe, I'll leave you to your Keith-bashing, it's obvious you get off on doing it, likely because you're such an expert on arthritis...smoking smiley

Posted by: pinksuit ()
Date: February 26, 2012 01:10

Just look at his fingers...

I am very, very - whatever

Date: February 26, 2012 01:14

dewlover
OK Jeppe, I'll leave you to your Keith-bashing, it's obvious you get off on doing it, likely because you're such an expert on arthritis...smoking smiley

It´s not about bashing Keith, it´s the truth and yes i know a lot about arthritis since one of my relatives have the same problem as Keith and she can´t even work some days because of the pain.

Date: February 26, 2012 01:26

Oh excuse me then, that REALLY does make you an expert on both Keiths' condition and arthritis in general...eye rolling smiley

Date: February 26, 2012 01:30

No problems at all, right?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 26, 2012 01:44

That's what I call hard facts, Jeppe! It will be tough to argue against that. You kind of silenced your opponents there...

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 26, 2012 01:45

JumpinJeppeFlash
dewlover
JumpinJeppeFlash
dewlover

What is?

Thanks Jeppe! Apparently to some once you have gold records and have millions of dollars from performing large grossing tours that these artists are exempt from criticism from little petty, "know it all" fans.

To some, they want to enjoy the music and turn the other cheek on all the blemishes. Hell, some can hardly even notice it--be it because they are not musicians themselves or they just don't care. Myself, being a guitar player, I feel for Keith and I know how tough (and easy) his job is. For anyone who has a critical ear and can spot every nuance that man and his group have played over the years--every little thing they do will be put under a microscope.

As I said in my first post, Keith played ok. A C+ performance that served its purpose.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: February 26, 2012 01:45

What I can see, is that is singing has improved dramastic, in the recent years. Like all good musicians, Keith can compensate his declining guitar skills (in his case) with his vocals. In the movie Shine A Light you can see this too.
As for this tribute concert : I can hardly spot any bum-notes (improved eyesight?) His slide on Little Red Rooster was spot on. Is it less than it was in 2002/2003? yes of course, but his playing and singing on this show was was acceptable for me.
Is it enough for a full blown Stones show? This is open for discussion. But if he is up for it, so am I.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-26 01:46 by barbabang.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1517
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home