Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 26
Re: Keith Richards at Hubert Sumlin Memorial Concert NYC Feb 24
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: February 25, 2012 16:47

The Stones ought to do a blues memorial tour!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 25, 2012 17:10

carlostones10
Keith on stage

[stonesplanetbrazil.blogspot.com]

that solo Clapton plays on 'Goin Down Slow' is fine.

Keith doesn't look well.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: February 25, 2012 17:18

windmelody
The Stones ought to do a blues memorial tour!

That's exactly what I was thinking! Complete with stools, no jumping around, just a tribute to the blues artists who inspired the Stones.

Great idea.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: February 25, 2012 17:20

Nothing on Huffington Post about the show...but a slew of performers (including James Taylor) are going to do a Rainforest gig...sorry but how is this more important than last night??

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 25, 2012 17:23

memphiscats
sorry but how is this more important than last night??

... sorry but why are you posting here about it?
not bein snide, truly, just ... baffled (and can you make that photo go away? please?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-25 17:24 by with sssoul.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 25, 2012 17:25

seitan
Not bad - I think Keith sings Spoonful really well, in fact the older he gets the lower and dirtier the voice becomes and it sounds better and better for blues. I know it´s a trendy thing to bash Keith on this forum, but negative whining about everything that Keith does speaks volumes about the you the " fans" ...hahah.

What did you expect - high energy rock n roll at a blues concert, or something "new" when they are celebrating songs written in the 40´s - and 50´s old blues classics, - yeah, what did you expect Disco or Punk -- this is blues concert and those guys did fine version of Spoonful, it´s a standard song and they did it in a traditional standard way...because that´s how Hubert Sumlin did it. You would know that if you could take your head up from your ass and have some respect for both Hubert and Keith.

Great stuff Seitan!!! I agree with you!!
jeroen

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: February 25, 2012 17:29

uugggh

Date: February 25, 2012 17:29

Like i said earlier. to me Keef looks good!!! his voice sounds great, he is ahving a good time.
like other people also mentioned, it was a blues concert!!
his guitar playing on Spoonful, ..i liked it.
And, lets have some bluesconcerts with the Stones, instead of all the Warhorses.
Jeroen

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 25, 2012 17:37

I see a lot of judgements based on one-off performances that were not typical of what the Stones do. Mick is being judged for being out of breath after the first song at the White House. Maybe he was hyped up and nervous. He seemed to pull it back together and do great on the other numbers. He still appears to have a lot of energy and sounded good to me. Keith is being judged for a non-typical tribute gig? He doesn't look well? Consider his age. Maybe if he and Mick were performing what they're used to doing with the Stones, they might give a totally different impression. Time will tell. If the Stones do actually do something I'm sure all of them will work hard at getting in shape and they still may surprise a lot of people. Keith has morphed into one of the old bluesmen he always admired. His playing at his age will naturally not show the agressive panache of Brussells or Hampton but he'll always be cool. People still go to see Chuck Berry at 85 and from videos I've seen, he REALLY can't play anymore. I think Keith will have the sense to lay back and not attempt to play things his fingers can't do anymore but I'm sure what he does play will still have that heart and soul that makes him so endearing to his fans.

Date: February 25, 2012 17:40

smileys with beerhot smiley
And i agree with you also stonesdan60 !!
jeroen

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: February 25, 2012 17:43

Cotton is still THE SUPER HARP...keith is shot

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 25, 2012 17:46

corriecas
smileys with beerhot smiley
And i agree with you also stonesdan60 !!
jeroen

smileys with beer

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 25, 2012 17:49

Mick and Keith have said in the past that they will be the ones knowing if what they do musically is good enough to be sold. Personally I leave it at that. If the stones decide to play live, i'll buy the ticket and go but I also will be true to myself and say if I think it was worth it or not.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 25, 2012 17:53

I'm a bit, huh, confused after watching these vids ...

His vocals - not bad, but like someone said to me some time ago: "One loves Keith because he is Keith, and not because he is a great singer!" That said, I think he had a great voice until the late 70's/early 80's.

His guitar playing: On Spoonful it's visible that he does not play much, and when he touches the guitar it's almost inaudible - no comments. Little Red Rooster - pretty basic slide, ok that's the blues, the authentic blues,BUT, and that's what counts for me, his TIMING, in the past one of his greatest strenghts, is shaky to say the least - it does not sound like he is carrying the song. And that's what reminds me terribly of ABB shows after the "incident". I can see no "recovery".

Is this "bashing"? You decide!

Do I want to see my favourite band again if one of the main players needs to get covered? Mmmmmh...tough question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-25 17:58 by alimente.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 25, 2012 18:03

spot on post, alimente.

as the old jimmy oden standard would suggest...they have had their fun (us, too)...goin' down slow....

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 25, 2012 18:13

alimente

His vocals - not bad, but like someone said to me some time ago: "One loves Keith because he is Keith, and not because he is a great singer!" That said, I think he had a great voice until the late 70's/early 80's.

His guitar playing: On Spoonful it's visible that he does not play much, and when he touches the guitar it's almost inaudible - no comments. Little Red Rooster - pretty basic slide, ok that's the blues, the authentic blues,BUT, and that's what counts for me, his TIMING, in the past one of his greatest strenghts, is shaky to say the least - it does not sound like he is carrying the song. And that's what reminds me terribly of ABB shows after the "incident". I can see no "recovery".

Do I want to see my favourite band again if one of the main players needs to get covered? Mmmmmh...tough question.

I dont hate people for what they DONT DO - If I Did - I would be bashing them FOR NOTHING. So, Did you safe the Haitian poor this weekend - You didnt - so should I start bashing you now for not caring about the poor Haitians? When Clapton plays most of the solos - should I bash Keef for not playing them ? You didnt deliver me any coffee this morning, obviously you are too old to make any coffee and too old to walk.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-25 18:18 by seitan.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 25, 2012 18:15

Bittersweet viewing.

life has battered Keith's abilities as a guitar player, but kudos to him for putting across his love for Hubert via some heartfelt singing.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-25 18:42 by His Majesty.

Date: February 25, 2012 18:21

seitan
alimente

I dont hate people for what they DONT DO - If I Did - I would be bashing them FOR NOTHING. So, Did you safe the Haitian poor this weekend - You didnt - so should I start bashing you now for not caring about the poor Haitians? When Clapton plays most of the solos - should I bash Keef for not playing them ? You didnt deliver me any coffee this morning, obviously you are too old to make any coffee and too old to walk.

What have terms like "hate" to do with this discussion?

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: February 25, 2012 18:23

alimente

I agree, Alimente. I am afraid that the best we can hope for may be a few farewell gigs, with various guests supporting the guitar work...

Date: February 25, 2012 18:25

alimente
seitan
alimente

- With all this stupid bashing - the word "love" dont come to mind that easy.
Nor does the word "respect" either. I could have used the words " Stupid complaining about a rock legend not fullfilling your selfish fantasies like a whore" but I decided to use the term " hate" instead, I could have used the word "bash" but I didnt think you would be so stupid to miss my point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-25 18:27 by seitan.

Date: February 25, 2012 18:27

seitan
alimente
seitan
alimente

Nor does the "respect" either. I could have used the words " Stupid complaining about a rock legend not fullfilling your selfish fantasies like a whore" but I decided to use the term " hate" instead, I could have used the word "bash" but I didnt think you would be so stupid to miss my point.

somebody locate a thesaurus for this man...

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 25, 2012 18:33

At least, Keith looks healthy and happy in the great WireImage photos.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 25, 2012 18:37

Look, there is a simple and very elegant solution for the "Keith problem" on guitar. Bring in Taylor and you have three bona fide Rolling Stones guitarists on stage. You simultaneously fill out the guitar section while also paying tribute to 43 years of the bands' legacy. Keith could lay back a bit and not have as much pressure to carry the band. Far better than Blondie or Jeff Beck (ridiculous) or any other solution.

Date: February 25, 2012 18:37

stonesrule
At least, Keith looks healthy and happy in the great WireImage photos.

he has a nice tan and a pretty smile, doesn't he?

Date: February 25, 2012 18:40

seitan
alimente
seitan
alimente

Nor does the word "respect" either. I could have used the words " Stupid complaining about a rock legend not fullfilling your selfish fantasies like a whore" but I decided to use the term " hate" instead, I could have used the word "bash" but I didnt think you would be so stupid to miss my point.

Well, I could say that what you do is "stupid bashing" me for my opinion - or "stupid bashing" everyone who's not sharing your opinion - so what?

But self-criticism where self-criticism is due: I could/should have added

"Kudos to Keith for putting across his love for Hubert" (courtesy of His Majesty).

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 25, 2012 18:56

StonesTod, you are brilliant!
Exactly what I was thinking.
If only we could all afford that tan.

Don't you think we should turn IORR into a "reality show"?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 25, 2012 18:58

stonesrule
Don't you think we should turn IORR into a "reality show"?

Didn't that already happen then ? smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 25, 2012 19:00

71Tele
Look, there is a simple and very elegant solution for the "Keith problem" on guitar. Bring in Taylor and you have three bona fide Rolling Stones guitarists on stage. You simultaneously fill out the guitar section while also paying tribute to 43 years of the bands' legacy. Keith could lay back a bit and not have as much pressure to carry the band. Far better than Blondie or Jeff Beck (ridiculous) or any other solution.

Damn it! The video links are all disabled....but based on past performance (not necessarily an indicator of future performance), and the comments, it's obvious that between the gnarled mitts an maybe even the knock on the head, the skills aren't what they once were. With that said, having MT along to fill out the sound is brilliant, and I hope something they've already thought of, given the 'discussion' of it over the last 6 months. Be a great way for them to 'go out' and take the pressure off KR.

I don't understand all the vitriol towards him....he's earned his place.

Date: February 25, 2012 19:03

alimente
seitan
alimente
seitan
alimente

Well, I could say that what you do is "stupid bashing" me for my opinion - or "stupid bashing" everyone who's not sharing your opinion - so what?

But self-criticism where self-criticism is due: I could/should have added

"Kudos to Keith for putting across his love for Hubert" (courtesy of His Majesty).

Most people on this board are bashing Keith for WHAT HE DONT DO !
- Keith didnt play any guitar solos - So What, - It wasnt needed either, cause Clapton was there - but still people bash Keef for what he didnt do. - that´s really stupid.

This was a memorial concert for Hubert Sumlin - It´s Hubert´s memory that should be in the center of everyones focus - People are grieving, Keef came down to pay his respect, in front of Hubert´s family, fans and friends - It´s a memorial - He could have done that in private, but he didnt.

- So what´s next, if someone releases photos from Hubert´s funeral - are people gonna bash Keef for wearing black and not the shiny clothes of the sixties.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: February 25, 2012 19:14

Pretty obvious that Keith can't really play anymore...sad but obviously true. Not sure how they would tackle this at a Stones gig, perhaps just have him play the opening riffs and then let the others take over. Actually, that did already happen last time, didn't it...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home