Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Movie 1987 running out of luck
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 17, 2019 16:42

Watched some bits on youtube. Greatfun. Esp where mick is in a brazilian shop. He says..im micky. Micky jagierro and there is a little boy dancing like him.
Real fun
Jeroen

Re: Movie 1987 running out of luck
Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: March 17, 2019 22:06

runrudolph
Watched some bits on youtube. Greatfun. Esp where mick is in a brazilian shop. He says..im micky. Micky jagierro and there is a little boy dancing like him.
Real fun
Jeroen

Isn’t it strange? Is it right this is from 1987? All the songs are from She’s The Boss (1985) If you look at internet it says 1987. Primitive Cool, Micks second album is from 1987! So a bit weird....

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 17, 2019 22:22

For me it's the best Mick movie.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: March 17, 2019 23:08

Christiaan
runrudolph
Real fun
Jeroen

Isn’t it strange? Is it right this is from 1987? All the songs are from She’s The Boss (1985) If you look at internet it says 1987. Primitive Cool, Micks second album is from 1987! So a bit weird....

It's weird the film came out in 1987, but according to Nico's "The Complete Works", it says that filming took place at the end of '84.

1st April onwards: MICK JAGGER. London. Shooting of a promo video. Director:
Julien Temple.
- Lucky In Love (MJ/Carlos Alomar)
Note: The finished promo video consists of newly shot scenes & footage filmed in Brazil in December 1984.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: March 18, 2019 00:06

It was filmed prior to release of she’s the boss. I think it came out theatrically ( it was like special screenings which I saw in a Harvard square theater) in late 1986 or early 1987 and then it was released on vhs and laser disc

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: March 19, 2019 18:01

Thanks for your info!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 19, 2019 18:16

good memories of this movie. needs a new release.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: March 19, 2019 18:24

I seem to remember that scene in the record store was based on an actual jam Mick got in while traveling in the past.

Date: March 19, 2019 18:49

Yeah..hope they will release it in good quality.
Jeroen

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: March 19, 2019 22:44

...only on VHS until now...?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 19, 2019 22:56

Would be nice if this was remastered and put out. Since it was a real movie film I suspect it's in reasonably good quality.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 19, 2019 23:14

"Julio, Julio, Julio, Julio, Julio, Julio...ah, here, that´s me! I mean: I´m him!!" (pointing at Through The Past Darkly cover).

Then dancing to BS and JJF: "Yeah, whoo..."

"That´s me...No?"

The greatest rockstar ever goes tongue in cheek... a great moment.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: March 20, 2019 00:37

I will say that the movie itself is a total disaster. It sank without a trace, thankfully. That said, the scene with Jagger trying to convince he is himself before the locals, is a stroke of genius and worth every piece of celluloid.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: March 20, 2019 00:38

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-20 00:39 by Blueranger.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 20, 2019 02:44

>"a stroke of genius and worth every piece of celluloid."

So it's *not* "a total disaster" then?

I find it hilarious, very tongue-in-cheek.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: March 20, 2019 08:19

That movie, which I own on VHS video tape, was meant to promote Mick's first solo album "She's The Boss" but was hardly shown in cinemas or even broadcasted although being directed by Julien Temple.
But it was always great fun to watch the days I watched video tapes. Now it rests somewhere in the darker parks in my music board ... never checked whether it was ever released on DVD or even Blueray.

Date: March 20, 2019 09:37

I wish theuvwould release it on dvd. The part where Jagger says..its me, micky jagierro. Hahaha.great.
Jeroen

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: March 20, 2019 10:53

A deluxe she's the boss with the video and all the 12'' mixes. I'd buy it immediately

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 20, 2019 12:19

jp.M
...only on VHS until now...?

When I first saw this in 198?....odd...the video store wanted £85 for it..............eye popping smiley

Great fun film though...........(All dancing on the balcony in the prison - Half a loaf I think...........

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 20, 2019 12:28

Should have been called 'Running Out Of Talent'.

This is a low point for Julian Temple, even his considerable talent gets immobilized by the Jag.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: March 20, 2019 12:40

I was only in my early twenties but if I remember MTV was huge. Michael Jackson released the long form video THRILLER. CBS signed the stones in late 1983 or early 1984 for more albums and thought Jagger was the real star. In 1984 that horrid STATE OF SHOCK was released with Jackson. Running out of luck I imagine was supposed to take the whole THRILLER video thing to a whole new level. If memory serves me right CBS probably thought the stones were mostly done ( remember Undercover in 1983 was the first studio album since 1971 not to make it to number 1 on the USA billboard charts)and Jagger was the star. CBS thought Jagger solo was going to be a huge huge seller like Jackson. No expense was spared. MTV a few weeks before the albums release did Mick Jagger weekend, aired JUST ANOTHER NIGHT at the top of every hour which included interviews with Jagger, Jools Holland with backstage footage about the video shoot in Brazil for RUNNING OUT OF LUCK. Album released in FEbruary 1985 and tanked way below expectations. CBS originally thought SHEs the Boss would be so big that it was like the first album to have the same street date for Vinyl, Cassete, and CD. CDs weren’t even mainstream yet and retail price was like $30. Bottom line the long form video didn’t materialize until late 1986 for like one night in art house theaters. I think the video was then released and I paid like $90 for the VHS.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 20, 2019 12:47

ROCKMAN

Date: March 20, 2019 12:48

ROCKMAN

Date: March 20, 2019 12:53

Rae Dawn Chong

ROCKMAN

Date: March 20, 2019 13:08

Bashlets
I was only in my early twenties but if I remember MTV was huge. Michael Jackson released the long form video THRILLER. CBS signed the stones in late 1983 or early 1984 for more albums and thought Jagger was the real star. In 1984 that horrid STATE OF SHOCK was released with Jackson. Running out of luck I imagine was supposed to take the whole THRILLER video thing to a whole new level. If memory serves me right CBS probably thought the stones were mostly done ( remember Undercover in 1983 was the first studio album since 1971 not to make it to number 1 on the USA billboard charts)and Jagger was the star. CBS thought Jagger solo was going to be a huge huge seller like Jackson. No expense was spared. MTV a few weeks before the albums release did Mick Jagger weekend, aired JUST ANOTHER NIGHT at the top of every hour which included interviews with Jagger, Jools Holland with backstage footage about the video shoot in Brazil for RUNNING OUT OF LUCK. Album released in FEbruary 1985 and tanked way below expectations. CBS originally thought SHEs the Boss would be so big that it was like the first album to have the same street date for Vinyl, Cassete, and CD. CDs weren’t even mainstream yet and retail price was like $30. Bottom line the long form video didn’t materialize until late 1986 for like one night in art house theaters. I think the video was then released and I paid like $90 for the VHS.

Yes but for all that expected success Mick needed to come up with the goods, it doesn't just happen, people have to think its great outside of a few diehards, all this solo stuff just served to prove that Keith was the talented Stone, all the Jagger Richards compositions over the years that we put down to being Mick AND Keith combo turned out to be mostly Keith with Keith being very generous towards Mick with the songwriting credits. OK Mick was good with lyrics back in the day but without the music and sound it's just words on paper.
Keith is the sound of the Stones, Mick going solo proved that, nothing Mick has done on his own comes close to the best work from the Stones with the exception of Memo From Turner. winking smiley
Yeah yeah Doxa i know , i know, Mick wrote Brown Sugar lol, but what would it have sounded like without Keith ?? Keith's intro, rhythm and Stones sound, it would have been like 'Mother Of A' Man or something, good yeah, but not great.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 20, 2019 13:08

A movie? It's a string of videos, isn't it. To boost the singles. Nothing else.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 20, 2019 15:26

It’s got the part where he rolls around w/ Rae Dawn Chong right?
Ya, that’s a masterpiece (for real)

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: March 20, 2019 15:38

My favorite parts are the cutaways to a slack-jawed and vapid Jerry Hall. I could never figure out if they were legit or if she was just playing the role.

Date: March 20, 2019 15:51

keithsman

This is a low point for Julian Temple, even his considerable talent gets immobilized by the Jag.

The Jag...
Brilliant Brilliant. Great
jeroen

Date: March 20, 2019 16:04

runrudolph
keithsman

The Jag...
Brilliant Brilliant. Great
jeroen

winking smiley yeah cheers lol, i wondered if anyone would notice smoking smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1582
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home