Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Truman Capote on being on the Stones' 1972 American tour (from ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE)
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 7, 2012 01:49

ROCKMAN

Re: Truman Capote on being on the Stones' 1972 American tour (from ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE)
Date: March 7, 2012 01:52

ROCKMAN

Date: March 7, 2012 01:55

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 7, 2012 03:02

Ha! Thanks Rockman! That part about how the entourage confuses their role with being one of the Stones is hilariously spot-on. I've always thought that of certain people who got too close to the Stones.
Capote may have been an elitist ass who didn't relate to rock and roll, but he was also a writer who understood human nature.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 7, 2012 03:28

stupidguy2
Ha! Thanks Rockman! That part about how the entourage confuses their role with being one of the Stones is hilariously spot-on. I've always thought that of certain people who got too close to the Stones.
Capote may have been an elitist ass who didn't relate to rock and roll, but he was also a writer who understood human nature.
Yes - this is wonderful - just great stuff. Wouldn't have been great if Truby had written the article? Mmm that might be a fun writing experiment - pretend you're Truman Capote and you write the piece. I love his quote about being voted Rookie Reporter of the Year - after writing In Cold Blood and Breakfast.
Thank you for sharing this. smoking smiley
p.s. WHY didn't the Stones do encores back then? Security? We're they really that uncaring about the audience?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 7, 2012 05:46

The Stones came from that package era when you got on after ten groups of varying fame had done their ten minute spots before you. It was twenty minutes on and get off and out of the house before the crowd tore you apart. Same with the Beatles. I think it shocked George Harrison when he had to stay on stage for 90 minutes to two hours when he toured solo in 1974. Lennon never did do an extended show except for maybe that once, the benefit.

On top of security I think it added to the Stone's mystique not to do encores. It made them just a notch above everyone else. Anybody that knew the band knew after they said goodnight, that was it. They've never done good encores anyway. It's like some amphetamine driven version of one of the warhorses extended unmusically over 8-10 minutes while the limos get in position and the final fireworks are set on standby. A perfect time to run to your car and get the hell out of there.

Thanks for posting the entire interview, ROCKMAN. It gave it more depth.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 7, 2012 07:28

The Strokes never do encores. Julian Casablancas (the lead singer) said, "We feel our shows are like a play. When a play ends, you don't expect the actors to come out and do an extra four minute scene." I've been to one of their concerts and the no-encore worked in their case, I think because their songs are so concise and they don't move about the stage. With a more energetic, looser, band like the Rolling Stones, though, you want the buzz to continue. So no Stones encore would disappoint.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 7, 2012 09:45

Truman was 48 years old at the time, 20 years old than the RS. He was an eccentric little chap, with funny, uncool looks and a high babyish voice. I imagine his acerbic with would have been lost on the RS entourage and if not treated with contempt, he would not have garnered much admiration or respect. He is the sole person I have ever heard of who didn't get on with Marshall Chess, who is very warm and likable in interviews; Greenfield said that every one of the RS adored Marshall. I think this would have motivated his bitchy comments in the press. But of course, he is right about how sad and pathetic the fans were, waiting for an encore that Capote knew would never come.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 7, 2012 10:52

memphiscats
p.s. WHY didn't the Stones do encores back then?

what they've said is that it seemed silly and phony to pretend you were done when you weren't -
they preferred to play their last number without leaving the stage first. which makes good enough sense ...
but they've also recognized in the meantime that it was rather arrogant of them.

and they did do encores occasionally in 72. for example at Boston they did, right?
where the audience had been kept waiting way beyond the call of duty

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 7, 2012 12:16

swiss
Redhotcarpet
24FPS
Bliss
But really, what is so hard about being Keith Richards?

The early Keith, before he put up the wall, seems a little shy, a little jug eared, a little pimply. Watching the Ed Sullivan shows is startling, to see how hard they all look by 1969, compared to the smiling guys amused by it all in 1964. Although they like to repeat that Brian was poorly constructed for the show business life, it doesn't look like Keith was all that happily adjusted either. Unless you think shooting heroin for ten years is happily adjusted.

I find that comment about Brian not being fit for fame really disgusting. Talk about patting him on the head. Self righteous crap.

It's true he couldnt cope with the ALO power trio within the band and he couldnt handle losing Anita to Keith and on top of that he had the busts. He was perfectly built for fame and showbiz, in fact he was the only one in the band who was up until he lost Anita which is when he falls head first to the ground. It's really obvious when you look at those clips of late 66 early 67 Brian compared to those later in 1967. He died that summer more or less.

Redhotcarpet - well...you bring up very good points. And that's a super interesting assertion that Brian died that summer. I can see what you mean. And I think what you say in general deserves serious attention - to what degree is Brian's fragility a self-serving myth of the Rolling Stones? My hunch is that there is indeed truth to the myth---that, yes, Brian did have a lot of heavy blows to contend with, and they did leave him reeling, as they would anyone---but also that he was probably less constitutionally hardy than others in "show biz." Maybe the others' defenses were also flawed (they were), but Brian, and this is said by many who knew him and even were fond of him, gave the impression to those who knew and encountered him that he was a little too thin-skinned to withstand the blows, or didn't have the needed defenses to fend off the slings and arrows. I mean, many people in "show biz" don't. Brian--most certainly--was an artist, first and foremost. I think Keith, Mick, and Charlie are too, but in a very different way. Brian is SO open and so vulnerable, and that's part of what made his art so goddamn gorgeous and transportive...could take you to another very creative place. And I tip my "hippie card" in also mentioning Brian is a Pisces, and very classically so. He was hypersensitive to everything around him, mutable, and dreamy. If he had a better support system around him he would have been protected from some of the intensity of being in "show biz." But, you know the story, right? Even the night he and Anita met he was literally in tears because Keith and Mick had been "mean" to him that night--and this was in 1964. On top of all that, he was physically sickly a lot, and the defenses he did have were often off-putting to other people. He was like a wound up cock-rooster looking to pick fights, and could be mean-spirited, super obnoxious, and bitchy in a way not even Mick could hold a candle to--sort of petty. So that didn't endear him to people very much who might have rallied around when times got tough.

- swiss

Spot on of course. I think my nasty comment was more about the way Mick and Keith pat him on the head, a guy who was 27 at the time of his demise and a guy who they know perfectly well "made them" in terms of starting a band, getting things going, imagewise of course and for a while musically (the blues covers, Little red Rooster, Last Time, Aftermath/Buttons-era). It's true he was too sensitive and a "borderliner", he had himself to blame for losing the love of his life. Anita was by all accounts what destroyed him, going so far that he tried to replace her for the rest of his short life. I think he went psychtotic when she left him and from then on it went downhill fast. His role within the band changed once again, he fell down a notch and felt humiliated. It's weird how that part has been so downplayed and explained with him being scared of getting busted and too high to play guitar. I dont think he took it well at all when they fired him. There's no way he would and I do think he had been scared of that moment for years. Saying he "wanted to leave" in 1967 and Jagger "not letting him" is just another facade. The man tried to take his own life in 1967. He went numb but he didnt stop thinking about what had happened.

Date: March 7, 2012 19:42

Brian actually comes across as the least shy in some group interview clips. But McCartney in the BEATLES ANTHOLOGY book says Brian was shy, so maybe he was.

Regarding shyness vs. ambition, Keith has often been called shy and does seem so in some interviews. Which is why I was interested to read the following passage about Keith in Bobby Keys' just published autobiography:

"That first meeting made a big impact on me, though. Within the first minute that I actually sat down and talked with Keith, I knew this was a special guy...I remember when I saw him, when I was looking at him, that I saw a lot of characteristics in Keith that I'd noticed in Buddy Holly. I've always told Keith, `Man, if you had known Buddy, you would have scared the siht out of yourself," because even though they didn't look alike physically, they had a lot of the same qualities. They were both highly motivated people. I mean, Holly KNEW he was gonna make it—here he was, a stained-toothed, four-eyed, glasses-wearin' guy, but he had no fear. And that's what I saw right away in Keith Richards. It was one of those moments, like a chill-down-the-spine moment. He just had that same look in his eyes." (pages 56-57)

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 7, 2012 23:01

I've noticed that Brian didn't seem to have that hardened shell most show business types seem to have to deal with it all. Brian was cocky early on but just follow the NME videos and Sullivan appearances, and of course the Rock and Roll Circus film to see him visibly fall apart. If we want to get into the Pisces thing, it appears, like Harrison (a fellow Pisces), that he went from being caring and sensitive to being just as shallow and hurtful. Extremes.

Let's face it, Brian didn't get it. It was a business and he didn't understand. I remember that clip on something like Ready Steady Go where he complains about being ill. The announcer is thinking, "This is show business. Nobody gives a crap about your personal problems."

Would it have been better for Brian if he'd lived? Or would he have been a pitied loser for leaving the Greatest Rock and Roll Band In The World? (Like Mick Taylor is now). I think his life would have been hell with all his kid's mothers catching up to him for child support. He would have been broke before long, with few songwriting royalties, except for his 1/5th of Nanker-Phelge, and his scant mechanical royalties, all held up by ABCKO.

I would like to have heard Warhol's impression of Brian. Brian was the first Stone to know Warhol and hang with him.

Date: March 8, 2012 00:59

I dont know if he was shy, here he's the star of the band. It's kinda cheesy now of course but the man had his act down even in the JJF video.

Date: March 8, 2012 01:01

24FPS
I've noticed that Brian didn't seem to have that hardened shell most show business types seem to have to deal with it all. Brian was cocky early on but just follow the NME videos and Sullivan appearances, and of course the Rock and Roll Circus film to see him visibly fall apart. If we want to get into the Pisces thing, it appears, like Harrison (a fellow Pisces), that he went from being caring and sensitive to being just as shallow and hurtful. Extremes.

Let's face it, Brian didn't get it. It was a business and he didn't understand. I remember that clip on something like Ready Steady Go where he complains about being ill. The announcer is thinking, "This is show business. Nobody gives a crap about your personal problems."

Would it have been better for Brian if he'd lived? Or would he have been a pitied loser for leaving the Greatest Rock and Roll Band In The World? (Like Mick Taylor is now). I think his life would have been hell with all his kid's mothers catching up to him for child support. He would have been broke before long, with few songwriting royalties, except for his 1/5th of Nanker-Phelge, and his scant mechanical royalties, all held up by ABCKO.

I would like to have heard Warhol's impression of Brian. Brian was the first Stone to know Warhol and hang with him.

This? I think it's more some sort of act. Looks like he's being awkward.

Date: March 8, 2012 01:47

Redhotcarpet
24FPS

Yes - that would've been interesting. I think Andy would've sited a kindred spirit in Brian - in someways. At least in terms of sensitivity. WHAT book is the guy asking Mick about in this video - anyone know? An early biographer...
Cheers. smoking smiley

Date: March 8, 2012 04:53

24FPS

Andy Warhol mentions Brian in his book POPISM: THE WARHOL SIXTIES. But it's been a while since I read it, so I forget if he actually assesses Brian.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: March 8, 2012 07:48

with sssoul
memphiscats
p.s. WHY didn't the Stones do encores back then?

what they've said is that it seemed silly and phony to pretend you were done when you weren't -
they preferred to play their last number without leaving the stage first. which makes good enough sense ...
but they've also recognized in the meantime that it was rather arrogant of them.

and they did do encores occasionally in 72. for example at Boston they did, right?
where the audience had been kept waiting way beyond the call of duty

I Think if you look at the times, very few rock bands did encores regularly. For example, The Who rarely did encores in the 70's, but when they did the songs were usually odd (Ex. LA 73 they did Baby Don't you do it, not a regular, Chicago 75 they did Drowned, again not a regular by that point in the tour). Perhaps there was a sense that an encore was undeserved in rock at the time.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 8, 2012 10:24

Happy Jack
Perhaps there was a sense that an encore was undeserved in rock at the time.

i'm not sure what you mean, Happy Jack - "undeserved" by whom, in whose opinion?
to me it really seems more like rebellious youth (smile: remember them?) disdaining a show-biz tradition that they found silly -
leaving the stage before your last number, and pretending to be coaxed back out to play one more just wasn't hip

Date: March 10, 2012 23:57

memphiscats
Title5Take1
April 12, 1973

In 1972, ROLLING STONE asked Truman Capote to cover the Rolling Stones’ EXILE ON MAIN ST. tour. But months later, Capote was unable to produce a story. The magazine asked Andy Warhol to interview Capote.

WARHOL: Did you like traveling with them?

CAPOTE: Oh, I enjoyed it. I just didn’t want to write about it, because it didn’t interest me creatively. You know? But I enjoyed it as an experience. I thought it was amusing...I like the Rolling Stones individually, one by one, but the one thing I didn’t like was that they had—and especially the people around them—had such a disrespect for the audience. That used to really gripe me. It was like, “Who the fcuk cares about them?” Well, these kids have merely stood in line for twenty-seven hours, you know, and what not to go to their concert—they adore them and love them.
I've read this article a couple of times before and this part always disturbed me. Maybe I'm naive - but my impression of the Stones was they were loyal to their music and their fans. I never felt like they were shitting on their fans. Does anyone agree with what Truman said? Or am I misreading it and perhaps he's talking about the "entourage" not appreciating the fans.
Muddled in Memphis...smoking smiley

I just came to the following section in Bobby Keys' new book (pp. 181-182):

"We weren't what you'd call sticklers for time. I remember being in the hotel room in New York at, like, nine o'clock in the evening, and we were supposed to have already started at eight o'clock at Madison Square Garden, and Keith and me'd still be trying to get it together. Everybody else would be pretty much ready to go. Keith and I were probably primarily the ones who would still be rousing ourselves for departure—gettin' dressed, havin' another drink, havin' a cigarette, callin' downstairs sayin' `Where's the fkucin' club sandwich, man?'

"And then we'd go to the gigs, finally. Peter Rudge, who was the tour manager, used to come up and plead with us and threaten us and yell at us—he used everything at his disposal to get us off our asses and into the car or the camper and get us onstage. It was like that ALL the time. It wasn't exactly a military operation. Which was OK because nobody ever left. I mean the kids would sit there for HOURS, man."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-10 23:58 by Title5Take1.

Date: March 10, 2012 23:59

Thanks for this info. I'm looking forward to reading his book!smoking smiley

Date: March 17, 2012 21:58

Doxa
24FPS
I'm sure someone like Jagger probably found Capote amusing and interesting, with a useful pool of acquaintances. It doesn't appear that Keith could tolerate these kind of people. Maybe Mick got bored with Keith overdoing drugs. You have to get out of the f-ing hotel room at some point.

Yeah, the classical romantic story of early 70's is that Jagger - with Bianca - was a social climber, getting to know people like Capote, and Keith - with Anita - remained faithfull to a rock and roll life style. A part of official Stones mythology. It was all rosey during the late 60's when Mick and Marianne and Keith and Anita made this little rock and roll high society. But then Mick betrayed the scene. We all know this, right?

It could be that Jagger basically bored with that kind of circle(s), especially taking what happend in Nellcote, and having all kind of hangers on. Keith, by contrast, seemed to love being in the center of the hurricane, the leader and toughest guy of the party that is. Jagger, if anything, is a restless soul, a curious mind, a guy always seeking new things. I think for him staying in some scene for the rest of life must sound awkward. Perhaps the London scene in where he was a king during the late 60's was a thing of the moment. That was cool and exciting then, but life continued, and he kept on searching new grounds, new people, new circles. But Keith somehow stuck into those premises and went just downhill on dopeville throughtout the 70's. Perhaps getting rid of the hard stuff, and having a real family finally freed himself of that - but not his image - and being a "celebrite" and hanging with any name - read the last chapter of LIFE - is not that hard for him to accept ever since...

What I have always found it funny in that Jagger guy is that he never seems to be very home with a rock and roll crowd. Yeah, he surely is the biggest rock stars ever - the thousands of frontmans adoring him and trying to be like him - but he always make the impression that rock and roll as a sort of life style, a way to dress, or being devoted to it doesn't impress him at all. To my eyes he takes that role only as something like as his claim to fame, something he is very good at, but somehow doesn't devote himself 24/7 to that. I think he is way too smart for that. A bit same impression as Dylan makes - another a song and a dance man - who is gifted in his job, but knows exactly its boundaries. I think Capote's point about Mick's ability to control his own act - being an actor - but then ability to leave it behind, too, is capturing something essential in Jagger, which also might explain some of his achievements and a being a vital star for some 50 years soon. He is not carried away with his own greatness, his own role (so many adores). Like so many others would if given the possibility of being in his shoes. (One could say the same of Dylan, as well.)

This reminds me of Keith's talks from the 90's, during the time Mick and Jerry 'divorced' I think. He said something to the effect that millions people would love to be Mick Jagger, but Jagger does not seems to be happy being himself, and is always in a run, and unable to make lasting relationships, etc. Keith recommended Mick to just relax, and enjoý being Mick Jagger. But to my eyes Keith doesn't seem to get what is so essential in Jagger. Mick doesn't feel like being satisfied with the premises achieved but is always looking for a new thing, new adventures. He still is.

(But before anyone make the correct remark that how do I know anything of 'real' Jagger - well, I obviously don't; I'm just making observations and theories from the base of evidence I know.)

- Doxa

And I get the impression Mick does not want to be an "artist", he wants to be something else but he is really a "living legend". I dont think either of them has grown up at all, they are just coping with fame and time and not having to do anything really but excist and "work" in an industry that is 100% based on their legacy. Keith had a good point when he said they are like old dried flowers (maybe someone else said that and he just used it). Keith hasnt coped with anything without heavy drugs and drinking. Micks done the same but of course not like Keith and he has always always worked out and starved since he has to look like Mick Jagger on stage.

Date: March 19, 2012 22:10

His Majesty
Title5Take1
stupidguy2
I always thought it was a bit hypocrital to slag Mick for hanging out with Gore Vidal in the 70s when Keith's buddies were the Orsmby-Gores, Guinnesses....

Makes me think of Keith in LIFE on p. 35: "But Mum and Dad loved the council flat house. I had no choice but to bite my tongue. As a semidetached goes, it was new and well built, but it wasn't ours! I thought we deserved better. And it made me bitter. I thought of us as a noble family in exile."

Hypocrisy is a big part of Keith's life. grinning smiley

It's been a while since I read it, but I recall Tony Sanchez in UP AND DOWN WITH THE ROLLING STONES saying that the Rolling Stones completely dispensed with their old friends once they got famous, to only hobnob with the upper crust. (I guess versus the Beatles, who still associated with Pete Shotton and Ivan Vaughan and others from Liverpool days).

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: March 31, 2018 11:06

angee
Now that Keith has his co-authored book out, I think he might have more respect for
Truman, in retrospect.

How very kind you are to use the term, "co-authored." If I ever need somebody to describe something that became a bit of a tight corner I'll be in touch and I'll be forever grateful!!!

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: March 31, 2018 16:45

Mick can't sing, dance, and knows nothing about music? He does all three well. What does Capote know about any of this. Aside from being a great novelist, he is a novice.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2003
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home