Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O/T Peter Tork RIP
Posted by: bob r ()
Date: February 21, 2019 18:57

Just heard that Peter Tork from the Monkees has passed

Re: O/T Peter Tork RIP
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 21, 2019 19:03

I am tremendously saddened by this.

He was an underrated talent, and it makes me angry that he didn't live to see The Monkees enter the RnR HoF.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 21, 2019 19:09

RIP
Bit by bit losing musical icons from the sixties.

Makes me take pause and be even more grateful for the six upcoming live Rolling Stones shows I've got on tap.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: February 21, 2019 19:19

I loved them, their show and music and he was my favorite. This is really sad

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 21, 2019 19:21

Very sad - as a kid I watched reruns of the Monkees tv show daily after school and he was always my favorite.

From the Washington Post - RIP Peter Tork

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-21 19:22 by Hairball.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 21, 2019 19:25

Variety

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 21, 2019 19:31

Oh, damn. I had a crush on him when I was about 7 and some of the music and clips still make me smile. Thanks Peter. RIP.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: February 21, 2019 19:37

God bless. Another icon from our youth. RIP.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 21, 2019 19:46

So sad. RIP Peter

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: February 21, 2019 19:52

a pretty accomplished musician. Guitar, banjo, keyboards. I think I remember he played banjo on George Harrison's Wonderwall soundtrack as well.

The Monkees had a TV special 1969 and it featured Tork in a solo spot playing a really nice keyboard piece.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 21, 2019 19:52

oh no
RIP Peter Tork

... takin the last train to Clarksville ...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 21, 2019 20:09

Too many RIPs lately...and too many to come.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: February 21, 2019 20:24

So sad. RIP Peter

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 21, 2019 20:36

Very sad. Was lucky to see Peter-Micky-Davy in 2011, and then Peter-Micky-Mike two times after that...Peter was fun to watch on stage, playing guitar (including slide), bass, banjo and keyboards...a great musician. I became a big Monkees fan when I was a kid in the early '70, wearing out my older brother's copy of "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd." Farewell, Peter.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 21, 2019 23:05

Their television show was a fun watch back in the day. My daughter got into listening to them during her middle/high school time. Stepping Stone remains my fave song by them. RIP, Mister Tork.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: February 22, 2019 00:01

I remember watching the Monkees reruns as a kid in the late '70's (Peter was my favorite) and telling my parents that if they ever came to town, I wanted to go to one of their concerts. They had to explain what reruns were and that the Monkees had broken up and weren't touring anymore.

Well, flash forward to 1986 when the reruns hit MTV. The Monkees were popular again, and there was a reunion (just Micky, Peter, and Davy at the time.) I was lucky to see them several times in the following years. In 2016 I flew out to LA to see Mike's last show with Peter and Micky. It was a great show with a lot of love from the crowd.

I've always liked the Monkees. I know they get a bad rap sometimes, but there were quite a few really well-written and well-recorded songs, and their individual musical, vocal, and songwriting talents did eventually rise to the top. It's music that kids like, sure, but it's not children's music by a long shot.

And Head is an awesome movie!!!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 22, 2019 00:02

Had forgotten Stephen Stills was in the frame to be a member of The Monkees.
Appears his thinning hair and teeth let him down!
How shallow.

Posted by: stanbooth ()
Date: February 22, 2019 00:03

Peter's ex-wife-Reine Stewart-lives nearby in a small coastal Maine fishing village. She came into the bar I manage last summer and held court with a series of jaw dropping tales from 60's Los Angeles. Along with her twin sister they were first generation groupies with many notches under their belt; Hendrix, Crosby, Morrison, Keith Moon etc. She was the designated joint roller on Crosbys yacht well into the 70's. I've tried to tease out a formal interview with her but content to let sleeping dogs lye. Wonderful person and really cool to hear these stories. I guess Peter Tork was quite the lad.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: February 22, 2019 00:39

Bummed big time. Peter was a genuinely nice guy in my experience. RIP Big Peter!

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: February 22, 2019 01:33

stanbooth
Peter's ex-wife-Reine Stewart-lives nearby in a small coastal Maine fishing village. She came into the bar I manage last summer and held court with a series of jaw dropping tales from 60's Los Angeles. Along with her twin sister they were first generation groupies with many notches under their belt; Hendrix, Crosby, Morrison, Keith Moon etc. She was the designated joint roller on Crosbys yacht well into the 70's. I've tried to tease out a formal interview with her but content to let sleeping dogs lye. Wonderful person and really cool to hear these stories. I guess Peter Tork was quite the lad.
l

He took partial credit for forming CSN&Y, due to the fact they hung out at his LA house prior to forming a band. He was a party host for a large number of people. He spent most of/all of his Monkees money and later became a high school teacher to support himself, prior to rejoining the Monkees touring group,

He did a one-man show a few years ago in which he talked about his life and performed some Monkees and assorted folk songs, He played guitar, banjo, and piano quite well. He seemed like a nice guy.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: February 22, 2019 05:54

I'm so sad to hear about this tragedy on 6 pm news. He was a great musician. Wish I had seen
them last summer when they played our summer fair in Vancouver. God bless you Peter and your family and remaining band members.Thanks for the memories.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 22, 2019 09:07

I loved the Monkees, and saw them live in London at the Empire Pool in 1967 (possibly 1968)--it was a terrific show, and by that time they could all definitely play their instruments and then some. RIP Peter.

Date: February 22, 2019 11:43

This is sad indeed. I have several of the Monkees 45's...... I'm A Believer, Stepping Stone, Alternate Title, etc. Loved the tv show and I have several of the bubble gum cards! Glad I saw him perform with Micky Dolenz and Davy Jones in London at the 45th anniversary gig at the Albert Hall in 2011.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 22, 2019 12:14

Peter was always my favorite Monkee when I was a little kid. RIP

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 22, 2019 12:52

bob r
Just heard that Peter Tork from the Monkees has passed

Whoever would've thought that Keith the Riff would've outlived a Monkee ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 22, 2019 18:08

[www.nytimes.com]

in regard to The Monkees 20th Anniversary tour, which sold out venues
across the country, and substantially reinvigorated their catalog.
[www.monkeeslivealmanac.com]
RIP Peter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-22 18:09 by hopkins.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: February 22, 2019 20:46

If you watch any interview with Peter Tork you realize how intelligent and articulative he was.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 22, 2019 22:39

Cooltoplady
If you watch any interview with Peter Tork you realize how intelligent and articulative he was.

Def true.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-24 14:28 by hopkins.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 23, 2019 06:37

Aquamarine
I loved the Monkees, and saw them live in London at the Empire Pool in 1967 (possibly 1968)--it was a terrific show, and by that time they could all definitely play their instruments and then some. RIP Peter.

Wow, you saw one of those gigs? Early July 1967. 4 or 5 gigs, I think. Lulu was the opening act, and it was promoted by Brian Epstein and NEMS. Got good reviews, too.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 23, 2019 06:58

jlowe
Had forgotten Stephen Stills was in the frame to be a member of The Monkees.
Appears his thinning hair and teeth let him down!
How shallow.

No one knows how far Stills got in the audition process. I don't think he did a screen test. Stills says he really wanted to write songs for the show, but when he found out they had Boyce, Hart, Carole King and those folks, he backed out and recommended Tork. And one of the producers (Bert Schneider maybe) said Stills didn't have the loony improvisation they were looking for.

However, Jerry Yester (Modern Folk Quartet, Lovin' Spoonful) says he was chosen but passed for some reason, so they took Peter instead. I'm not sure if that's true, but he said he had a three hour meeting with Bert Schneider and passed on it. Odd, too, that future Monkees producer Chip Douglas was a MFQ member.

Also interesting is that Stills' song Sit Down (I Think I Love You) has a Screen Gems copyright.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2078
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home