Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Track Talk: Rough Justice
Posted by: René ()
Date: January 27, 2014 10:51

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Rough Justice
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

La Fourchette, Pocé sur Cisse, France & St. Vincent, West Indies,
June - September 2004, La Fourchette, Pocé sur Cisse, France,
November - December 2004, March 7 - 9 & March 14 - June 2005 and
The Village Recorder, West Los Angeles, California, US, June 6 - 28, 2005

Mick Jagger - vocals, electric guitar
Keith Richards - electric guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Ron Wood - electric slide guitar
Darryl Jones - bass
Chuck Leavell - piano

One time you were my baby chicken, now you've grown into a fox
Once upon a time I was your little rooster, but am I just one of your cocks

It's rough justice on ya, you're going to have to trust me
It's rough justice, but you know I'll never break your heart

So put your lips to my hips, baby, and tell me what's on your mind
I know you still got that animal attraction for me, it's been a long, long time

It's rough justice on ya, we’re never done and dusted, no

You're feeling loose and lusty, so if you really want me
Yeah, it's rough justice, but you know I'll never break your heart, yeah

It's rough justice on ya, you think you’ve really sussed me

First time I saw you, baby, you were springing like a young gazelle
And next thing I know, way down the road, you had me flying like a bat out of hell

It's rough justice on ya, you’re acting too disgusted
You're gonna have to trust me, but you know I'll never break your heart

I’ll give you my position, don't want no opposition

Produced by Don Was & The Glimmer Twins

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Streets Of Love” CD single
(Virgin Records 0094634002929) UK, August 22, 2005

Re: Track Talk: Rough Justice
Date: January 27, 2014 10:53

A good latter day rocker. Better than Flip The Switch, imo. It worked well in concert, too.

It rocks, but the guitars sound digital, and it bothers me somehow. Mick sings fantastically.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 27, 2014 10:54

Hmm, it`s sure got balls, but is that what counts? It`s no new "Jumping Jack Flash" anyway.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 27, 2014 11:13

It's pretty Rough yes....thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 27, 2014 11:27

I'll never understand why everyone hates it, but I think this is a killer song. Not joking, I think its their best rock song since Tattoo You. I can only say that I'm biased because I'm young and this was the first (and only) studio album they put out while I was actually conscious of who the Stones were, and I remember putting on that new CD and this flying out of the speakers. I did, and still do, think it is kick ass. I remember hearing it and thinking "this is the Rolling @#$%& Stones!" Double entrees, great riff thats reminiscent of classic Stones, fast rocker. Everything I want in new stuff by them. Great track and I will always love it. I'd love to hear something new from them like that instead of Doom and Gloom or One More Shot.

But I know I'm in the minority.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: January 27, 2014 11:37

Great rocker, indeed... But i think "Doom and Gloom" is slightly better...

Date: January 27, 2014 11:40

RollingFreak
I'll never understand why everyone hates it, but I think this is a killer song. Not joking, I think its their best rock song since Tattoo You. I can only say that I'm biased because I'm young and this was the first (and only) studio album they put out while I was actually conscious of who the Stones were, and I remember putting on that new CD and this flying out of the speakers. I did, and still do, think it is kick ass. I remember hearing it and thinking "this is the Rolling @#$%& Stones!" Double entrees, great riff thats reminiscent of classic Stones, fast rocker. Everything I want in new stuff by them. Great track and I will always love it. I'd love to hear something new from them like that instead of Doom and Gloom or One More Shot.

It's got a pretty good reception in this thread so far, though smiling smiley

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: January 27, 2014 11:53

It's a good song, one of my favourites from ABB. The lyrics are fun. It should have been the 1st single from this album worldwide, not just in the US. Yet, there is this awful "digital sizzling" heard in the recording which comes from over-compression: something clearly has gone wrong there at some stage in the production process.

Did they fix that with the Universal reissue of ABB?

Date: January 27, 2014 11:57

billwebster
It's a good song, one of my favourites from ABB. The lyrics are fun. It should have been the 1st single from this album worldwide, not just in the US. Yet, there is this awful "digital sizzling" heard in the recording which comes from over-compression: something clearly has gone wrong there at some stage in the production process.

Did they fix that with the Universal reissue of ABB?

I think this has to do with the use of digital effects, mainly on the guitars - as opposed to analog tweaking. I don't know about the Universal reissue, the download release sound similar, though.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 27, 2014 12:55

Aww man, I remember the first time I heard this track, after fearing that all of ABB would consist of turds like the putrid “Streets of Love” . And it blew me away. The fierce, directly-in-your -face crunch of the guitars, Jagger’s lusty, frenetic wailing, Charlie’s incomparable drumming, and the sly, double-entendre lyrics … THIS was the Stones track that I’d been waiting for!! It was right in line with the most propulsive Stones tracks of yore, yet it had interesting subtle differences that made it sound different and fascinating.

Unfortunately, I don’t listen to “Rough Justice” much anymore. It’s sort of a one-trick pony, and it hasn’t remained as interesting to me after repeated listenings.

It would have been more interesting if Jagger had left the lyric alone. Saying “You know I’m gonna break your heart” would fit the attitude of the rest of the song much better than “You know I'll never break your heart”. The latter sounds like a concession, a compromise, and it dilutes the song’s impact considerably.

Still, all in all. a kick-ass rock and roll track that gets ABB off to a great start.

Drew

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 27, 2014 12:57

Latter day classic. If it had been released in 1989 it would have been a top 5 single. The main riff reminds me of a slight variation on the Brown Sugar riff--Brown Sugar in reverse, the way Jumping Jack Flash was Satisfaction in reverse.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: January 27, 2014 13:50

A good rock n' roll number.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: January 27, 2014 14:14

A 9year old track!
Stones by the numbers imo, Doesn't do it for me any,öre

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 27, 2014 14:37

I know it is will never be a classic, that the lyrics are not Bob Dylan level, that the sound is brick-walled, that Darryl Jones is no Bill Wyman etc. I don't care: Justice is just great! Too bad they didn't have the balls to put it in the warhorses final run of the ABB set lists.

C

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 27, 2014 15:00

I like it.

Incidentally, in START ME UP live, Mick sometimes alters the line after "I'll be runnin' hot." Sometimes he's changed it to "Little darlin' I will blow my top." As I recall (it's not on YouTube anymore), in the START ME UP at Wembley in 1982, Mick sings, "My baby chicken, I will blow my top." And so I think the ROUGH JUSTICE line, "One time you were my baby chicken, now you've grown into a fox" is maybe a nod at the live START ME UP lyric.

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: January 27, 2014 15:11

Pretty cool track, one of their genuine latter-day rockers that sounds "natural". I don't mind the guitar sound - I think Don Was captures the Stones' guitar sound rather well, and the over-compression / "digital" effects don't bother me. Just about every modern album, many of them fantastic, uses digital technology, and plenty of it.

It's no Start Me Up, but thankfully no Dangerous Beauty either!

I also like Streets Of Love, which I think is one of the better ballads by the latter-day Stones, so for me this was a nice little "double A-sided" single!

Date: January 27, 2014 15:35

Denny
I also like Streets Of Love, which I think is one of the better ballads by the latter-day Stones, so for me this was a nice little "double A-sided" single!
Another song I don't understand why everyone hates. I love it.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 27, 2014 15:35

Huh, it's been 9 years... time flies...

I need to admit that I haven't really listened the song for years. I have occasionally put A BIGGER BANG ON, but somehow I haven't paid much attention to it, so quick number that it is over before my ears are open, and leave no much impact... If I wouldn't have listened the song now, I would just wrote here "a typical late-day Stones-by-numbers song"..

But I re-listened it, actually three times, and I felt like it was 9 years ago, ears fresh and open...

Yeah, it is a "late day Stones-by-numbers", The Stones in the very deep of their own home vocabulary, the vocabulary once created by such numbers as "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Brown Sugar", but the point is that if one loves The Rolling Stones, one cannot but help to love that vocabulary. I once hooked into that vocabulary by "Start Me Up", and what RollingFreak said above of "Rough Justice" is basically the same effect "Start Me Up" once did for me. There is a function of later-day Stones music to give like an up-dated introduction - or reminder - of the classic Rolling Stones sound to charm new audiences, or resurrect the love of the old fans.

So "Rough Justice" belongs to the league of radio-aimed songs like "She Was Hot", "Mixed Emotions", "Rock & A Hard Place", "Highwire", "Love Is Strong", "You Got Me Rocking", "Don't Stop" probably not adding anything substantial to their catalogue, but relying on their the most classical gestures. And I think it does rather well in that company. The elements are bigger than the over-all outcome or the song itself - it really is "singer not the song". The classical features - the intro, guitars, drums, vocals, a bit controversial but wit lyrics - are served almost like a textbook for beginners of the traditional Stones sound. The song itself is very very simple and one-dimensional - but so is "Jumpin' Jack Flash", even though this is more a cousin of "Fight", "You Got Me Rocking" or "Silver Train". Someone mentioned about the problems of the digital sound and compression, which might also explain why the track sounds a bit too busy to 'swing' or "roll" - or at least "breathe" - in a best way possible, but, anyway, it rocks and "works like a train loo" (as is a saying in Finnish).

So, over all I think it is an okay tune by its own terms. It serves well its function. But honestly, if this is best they can do when they hit studio once or twice in a decade, it says something of their artistic drive and ambition (that is: the lack of it). Last week we were talking about "Rocks Off" - there one can find the very they are using here in total flames, when they are inspired and driven by a muse. The difference in effect is a huge one.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-27 17:17 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 27, 2014 15:57

liddas
Too bad they didn't have the balls to put it in the warhorses final run of the ABB set lists.

C

True, after "Start Me Up" they haven't got balls to uplift the songs into that territory. Of course, that section of songs is rather crowded, but still... Sounds like they themselves don't believe too much on their own new songs. Jagger, my favourite chicken, don't be so afraid of us...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-27 16:06 by Doxa.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 27, 2014 16:30

Love it!

Date: January 27, 2014 16:57

Doxa
liddas
Too bad they didn't have the balls to put it in the warhorses final run of the ABB set lists.

C

True, after "Start Me Up" they haven't got balls to uplift the songs into that territory. Of course, that section of songs is rather crowded, but still... Sounds like they themselves don't believe too much on their own new songs. Jagger, my favourite chicken, don't be so afraid of us...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Its possible that thats the case. Although I will say, most of the post Tattoo You rockers sound much better in the studio than live. They just can't seem to play them with the same power and speed as they can in the studio, which then can make them sound pretty lacking live. It is songs like that that enhance the image of how old they are. Not a big deal as it happens to all the best bands as they get older, but its possible thats the reason too. If they feel they don't have to and it might be embarrassing, you have your answer right there.

I thought even Doom And Gloom sounded slower live and thus resulted in it having less power.

Date: January 27, 2014 17:16

A few exceptions, of course, but I agree about the rockers.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: January 27, 2014 18:16

It could have been a contender. Unfortunately, it didn't get played live enough.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 27, 2014 18:23

laertisflash
Great rocker, indeed... But i think "Doom and Gloom" is slightly better...

I would concur

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 27, 2014 18:28

Love Rough Justice...the opening riff is great, then the song takes off. Best enjoyed loud!

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: January 27, 2014 19:02

RollingFreak

They hate it because they can't accept the fact that it's not 1972 anymore.

I like the song. Always have.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 27, 2014 19:52

One of a handful of great Post-Wyman songs. Nobody talks about Ronnie's fantastic slide playing. Even if the bass is not spectacular, it is ballsy and creates a good floor. I definitely turn this one up when it comes on.

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: January 27, 2014 20:49

DandelionPowderman
A few exceptions, of course, but I agree about the rockers.

Unexpected opening of the setlist 14 On Fire would be:
1. Rough Justice
2. Doom And Gloom
3. Low Down
4. Love Is Strong
5. It Won't Take Long

Expected opening of the setlist 14 On Fire is:
1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. It's Only Rock n Roll
3. Tumbling Dice
4. All Down The Line
5. Wild Horses

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 27, 2014 21:03

RollingFreak
Doxa
liddas

C

- Doxa

Its possible that thats the case. Although I will say, most of the post Tattoo You rockers sound much better in the studio than live. They just can't seem to play them with the same power and speed as they can in the studio, which then can make them sound pretty lacking live. It is songs like that that enhance the image of how old they are. Not a big deal as it happens to all the best bands as they get older, but its possible thats the reason too. If they feel they don't have to and it might be embarrassing, you have your answer right there.

I thought even Doom And Gloom sounded slower live and thus resulted in it having less power.

Maybe, maybe not (meaning that I do not know if this a vital part of such an answer). But might it, in case it has not worked as well live as in the studio (I don't know that either), put as a question, rather be that it has not been given enough continual live play to function like they gradually could be able to make it do then, I wonder.

Doxa
Huh, it's been 9 years... time flies...

I need to admit that I haven't really listened the song for years. I have occasionally put A BIGGER BANG ON, but somehow I haven't paid much attention to it, so quick number that it is over before my ears are open, and leave no much impact... If I wouldn't have listened the song now, I would just wrote here "a typical late-day Stones-by-numbers song"..

But I re-listened it, actually three times, and I felt like it was 9 years ago, ears fresh and open...

Yeah, it is a "late day Stones-by-numbers", The Stones in the very deep of their own home vocabulary, the vocabulary once created by such numbers as "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Brown Sugar", but the point is that if one loves The Rolling Stones, one cannot but help to love that vocabulary. I once hooked into that vocabulary by "Start Me Up", and what RollingFreak said above of "Rough Justice" is basically the same effect "Start Me Up" once did for me. There is a function of later-day Stones music to give like an up-dated introduction - or reminder - of the classic Rolling Stones sound to charm new audiences, or resurrect the love of the old fans.

So "Rough Justice" belongs to the league of radio-aimed songs like "She Was Hot", "Mixed Emotions", "Rock & A Hard Place", "Highwire", "Love Is Strong", "You Got Me Rocking", "Don't Stop" probably not adding anything substantial to their catalogue, but relying on their the most classical gestures. And I think it does rather well in that company. The elements are bigger than the over-all outcome or the song itself - it really is "singer not the song". The classical features - the intro, guitars, drums, vocals, a bit controversial but wit lyrics - are served almost like a textbook for beginners of the traditional Stones sound. The song itself is very very simple and one-dimensional - but so is "Jumpin' Jack Flash", even though this is more a cousin of "Fight", "You Got Me Rocking" or "Silver Train". Someone mentioned about the problems of the digital sound and compression, which might also explain why the track sounds a bit too busy to 'swing' or "roll" - or at least "breathe" - in a best way possible, but, anyway, it rocks and "works like a train loo" (as is a saying in Finnish).

So, over all I think it is an okay tune by its own terms. It serves well its function. But honestly, if this is best they can do when they hit studio once or twice in a decade, it says something of their artistic drive and ambition (that is: the lack of it). Last week we were talking about "Rocks Off" - there one can find the very they are using here in total flames, when they are inspired and driven by a muse. The difference in effect is a huge one.

- Doxa

I usually don't use the term "Stones-by-numbers" myself. But here, Doxa, you seem to give the term more nuances than it almost ever has been given when posters use the term. I nearly felt at home with the term employed in that perspective, when it is not onesided negative, if still a limitation, but also as an achievement, when we have so dearly missed as much. Because it is not a matter of course to obtain that. (I hope that I have not drawn your point of view too much outside what you meant to say.)

I agree that "Rough Justice" is not so much an innovative song the way some songs broadly of its kind were in the past. However, it is a good recreation of a "pattern" of a song, which is always good to have recreated, when it is not tried all the time. I have to admit that I had much more a feeling of "Stones-by-numbers" when I heard "Start Me Up" at its time as a new song than by "Rough Justice". The important thing about "Start Me Up" was that it was so catchy, but if I may be allowed to say so, at the same time, seen with its great predecessors as background, somewhat "cheap", in a way that I don't consider "Rough Justice". In a way it is some of its attraction to me that it is not too much immediately "catchy". It has a little more discrete appeal as such. And is a sound and solid opening track of an album, where other songs of the album are even more interesting, but where "Rough Justice" to me is better than "She Saw Me Coming" and "Driving too Fast", which to me are nearer the "Stones-by-numbers" term than any of the other songs of A BIGGER BANG. An album, by the way, that to me only BRIDGES TO BABYLON can challenge of all albums since UNDERCOVER, and both of which I cherish quite much. Apart from that, I think "Rough Justice" as a song on its own is far better than "Fight", "You Got Me Rocking" and "Silver Train".

In short, I am rather enthousiastic by "Rough Justice" as opening song. Post-"Undercover", only "Love Is Strong" can rival its status as album opening song with me, I spontaneously think.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-27 21:14 by Witness.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 27, 2014 21:22

Doxa
liddas

C

- Doxa

They did play it at the Superbowl though.
Skip to 4:30

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1741
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home