Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Have CD's Made Albums Too Long?
Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 20, 2012 17:11

StonesTod
stonesdan60
StonesTod
no. it's the artists that make albums too long. don't blame the cd. that's like blaming guns for killing people. or something.

My point is that the artists know they have 80 minutes they can fill and if they do so by incuding less than great songs just because they can, then they do share the blame with the CD format, It makes them less likely to omit the below par songs as they would have to do if they knew they were limited to a 40 - 45 minute release.

poor excuse. don't blame the medium. the court rejects this argument.

My court rejects your court's rejection, lol. Hey - to each their own point of view. After all...It's only rock and roll....

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 20, 2012 17:14

stonesdan60
StonesTod
stonesdan60
StonesTod
no. it's the artists that make albums too long. don't blame the cd. that's like blaming guns for killing people. or something.

My point is that the artists know they have 80 minutes they can fill and if they do so by incuding less than great songs just because they can, then they do share the blame with the CD format, It makes them less likely to omit the below par songs as they would have to do if they knew they were limited to a 40 - 45 minute release.

time limitations have never been the problem, though. remember double and triple lps? the problem is lack of quality product. i rest my case.

poor excuse. don't blame the medium. the court rejects this argument.

My court rejects your court's rejection, lol. Hey - to each their own point of view. After all...It's only rock and roll....

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: January 20, 2012 18:55

sadly a lot of live recordings (onto cd) edited

last is hendrix winterland box..a lot of editings

why there is space !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: January 20, 2012 19:24

I always thought LPs were too long;

One side (or maybe an EP?) is the max I want to listen to ANYONE.

Date: January 20, 2012 19:26

KSIE

thank you for saying this. there's a clear bias against those of us with short attention spans. as i was saying earlier, i really think that

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 20, 2012 19:30

In the case of Tom Waits' "Mule Variations" - No.

In the case of "A Bigger Bang" - Yes

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: January 20, 2012 20:39

It's interesting that Tom Waits put the 3 bonus tracks for Bad as me on a separate CD, even tho they would have fitted onto the main disc. He clearly wanted the main album to be a stand alone piece with the best tracks on it (tho the bonuses are no slouches).

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: January 20, 2012 22:21

What I miss most from vinyl is having 2 sides. In effect 2 openers & 2 closers. For example Stairway To Heaven is a powerful song at the end of side 1. You have a minute or so to fully reflect in it before you turned it over or put on a new song. Now it is stuck in the middle and you don't get a chance to reflect for a minute instead the next song comes on.

On the other hand take an LP like Tatoo You. In the CD era probably all those songs would have been released on previous cds. Through The Lonely Nights most likely included on GHS etc.

Both have their pros & cons. Though I laugh when people like the outakes better than whats on the lps, and then when the get everything, they complain that there are 2 many songs and many are filler.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: rpc2uk ()
Date: January 20, 2012 22:32

KSIE

Back when I had vinyl I rarely flipped an album over - I tended to play a side and then move onto another that I was in the mood to listen to.

Date: January 20, 2012 22:39

rpc2uk
KSIE

Back when I had vinyl I rarely flipped an album over - I tended to play a side and then move onto another that I was in the mood to listen to.

remember the cool old hi-fi players where you just put a stack of lps on the spindle? when finished with the stack, you could just flip the whole thing over. thoze were the daze....

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 20, 2012 22:40

stonesdan60
This might seem off topic but it does it relate to the Stones, among others. In the days of vinyl, a typical album had about ten songs (depending on song length) and took about 40 - 45 minutes of your time to enjoy the whole thing. It seems that with CD's artists feel they have about 80 minutes to fill and so they include songs that would surely be cut if they had to narrow it down to the old vinyl play time.

Yeah, I've thought about this... like twenty years ago when Blood Sugar Sex Magic came out. Kind of a johnny-come-lately topic. CD's are gonna be gone in a few years anyways. Next topic...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 20, 2012 22:42

I think albums have made singles too long.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: January 20, 2012 23:07

Definitely. The whole art of making an 'album' has been ruined by people believing they have to fill a whole CD

Give me a perfectly formed 9/10 song album over a bloated 15 song collection of songs anyday

40-45 minutes is all thats needed

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 20, 2012 23:13

Well this problem is an old one, like I said - people have been noting this for 20 years. It's also one which will be gone soon, where few artists will be releasing more than 10 songs at a given time = which equals one physical 'album' of the vinyl days.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 21, 2012 02:40

stonesdan60
many of us wish Get Yer Ya Ya's Out lasted longer, but with the constraints of the LP format, what you get is a condensed, poweful blast of rock that kicks your ass and leaves you wanting more.

That's what made the original six-song Live At Leeds LP so powerful. Each time they re-release it, it gets a little longer, and the longer it gets, the more its power is diluted.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1868
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home