Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rock Hall of Fame opens archives to public
Date: January 17, 2012 15:43

Been there once, their Stones area is pretty big. Great stuff actually.

CLEVELAND (AP) — The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum is giving scholars and fans access to the stories behind the music.
The museum's library and archives are open to the public beginning Tuesday in a $12 million building at Cuyahoga (ky-uh-HOH'-guh) Community College, two miles from the hall in Cleveland.
Visitors will have the chance to explore photos, albums and covers, oral histories and scrap books that, until now, have been stored away. The Plain Dealer reports (http://bit.ly/yYyCzI ) that the collection includes some 3,500 books, 1,400 audio recordings and 270 videos. The library has a staff of eight full-time employees.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-17 15:46 by steel driving hammer.

Re: Rock Hall of Fame opens archives to public
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 17, 2012 18:54

steel driving hammer

I've been their twice, in 2005 and 2006, and if they haven't done anything to the Stones area since, it was a major disappointment. A couple stage uniforms for Mick and Keith and a few piece of ephemera. I remember seeing a friggin' dulcimer sort of carelessly placed with no explanation that the great Brian Jones played it. And in another area they had musical instruments. There was a mellotron that said, 'Used by the Rolling Stones in the mid-60s'. No crap! The mellotron that Brian played on '2,000 Light Years From Home'? It was very distressing. They have a great Hendrix section and even the Beatles was pretty good, but the Stones area was depressing to me.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 17, 2012 19:10

steel driving hammer

I guess it's changed some. When I went there in '96 there wasn't a Stones "area". They had Stones stuff, but it wasn't all in one central location. You'd see some stuff on one floor, some more stuff on another, or just spread out on the same floor. Sadly, I didn't pay all that much attention to it. I mean, I didn't ignore it, but I wasn't as big of a fan back then as I am now (I hadn't even seen them live yet) so I was interested in looking at it but it wasn't a priority for me. I was more interested in the Pink Floyd, Beatles, Hendrix and The Who stuff.

The only thing I really remember was they had a couple of outfits, probably from '72 or '73. One of those onesie/leotard looking things with the rhinestones all over it. I remember being blown away by how small it (and by extension Mick Jagger) was.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: January 18, 2012 16:23

NoCode0680
The only thing I really remember was they had a couple of outfits, probably from '72 or '73. One of those onesie/leotard looking things with the rhinestones all over it. I remember being blown away by how small it (and by extension Mick Jagger) was.

Yeah, that's almost always the case with these skinny Englishmen! smiling smiley Really, I remember seeing a pair of Eric Clapton's jeans and an Edwardian suit Jimmy Page wore when he was in the Yardbirds on display in London, and they are tiny!!

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: January 18, 2012 16:53

According to this, the archives include footage of the '81-'82 Tour:

BBC News

Does anyone know what that might be?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 18, 2012 21:11

Until DOUG SAHM is inducted I'll never take it seriously....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home