Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Rap Album Sells 823 Copies .... And Is #1 On The Charts!
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 15, 2019 15:05

Re: OT: Rap Album Sells 823 Copies .... And Is #1 On The Charts!
Date: January 15, 2019 15:14

Yeah, I saw that smiling smiley Great streaming numbers, though.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 15, 2019 15:23

A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie Scores First No. 1 on Billboard 200 Albums Chart With 'Hoodie SZN'
1/14/2019 by Keith Caulfield

After sitting in the runner-up slot on the Billboard 200 chart for its first two weeks, A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie’s Hoodie SZN climbs to No. 1, scoring the rapper his first chart-topper.

The set, released via Highbridge the Label/Atlantic Records, earned 58,000 equivalent album units in the U.S. in the week ending Jan. 10, according to Nielsen Music (down less than 1 percent compared to the previous week). Nearly all of that sum was driven by streaming activity for the album.

The Billboard 200 chart ranks the most popular albums of the week in the U.S. based on multi-metric consumption as measured in equivalent album units. Units are comprised of traditional album sales, track equivalent albums (TEA) and streaming equivalent albums (SEA). The new Jan. 19, 2019-dated chart (where Hoodie climbs to No. 1) will be posted in full on Billboard's websites on Tuesday, Jan. 15.

Hoodie SZN is the first album to spend its first week at No. 1 by climbing up the chart -- rather than debuting at No. 1 -- since The Greatest Showman soundtrack rose 5-1 in its third week on the list (dated Jan. 13, 2018).

Hoodie SZN is A Boogie’s second full-length studio album and second top 10 effort. He previously visited the region with his first full-length set, The Bigger Artist, which debuted and peaked at No. 4 on the Oct. 21, 2017-dated tally.

The 20-song Hoodie SZN has been largely powered by streaming activity since its debut on the chart. In its premiere week, it sold just 6,000 copies, while in its second and third weeks, sold a mere 1,000 in each frame. On the new Billboard 200, of Hoodie SZN’s 58,000 total units, 56,000 come from SEA units (equaling 83 million on-demand audio streams for the album's 20 songs), 1,000 from TEA units and 1,000 from album sales.

That 1,000-album sales figure is the smallest weekly sum for a No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart since it flipped from an album sales-only list to a multi-metric consumption-ranking in December 2014. The previous consumption-era low was registered just a week ago, when 21 Savage’s streaming-powered I Am > I Was sold 3,000 copies (of its total 65,000 units). (Back when the Billboard 200 was an album sales-only tally, the smallest sum at No. 1 was on the Feb. 12, 2001-dated tally, when Amos Lee’s Mission Bell sold 40,000 copies.)

A sign of times, 1000 copies sold but 83 million album streams on a single week.

Album sales are a relic from the past.

On the latest Billboard 200, Hot Rocks ranks at #160 with 5,000 units, mostly from streams too.
[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 15, 2019 15:30

If he breaks the 1K limit, he's awarded a Gold Disc? smoking smiley
"C'mon yo only 174* to go till I get my reward!"

[* 174...? I know I know, but that's rappers' arithmetics] >grinning smiley<

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 15, 2019 15:36

83 million streams...that's pretty incredible.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 16, 2019 03:17

Just curious: How do you make money on music/video streams? Is there some type of royalties arrangement? Can someone make enough from streaming whatever to have a decadent rock'n'roll/rap/pop lifestyle?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 16, 2019 14:50

(Not rap singers obviously, but)
There continues to be exceptions to the rule, think:
ADELE
ED SHEERAN
To name but two. I haven't got their sales figures to hand, but I suspect they compare favourably to the big sellers of the past.

Date: January 16, 2019 16:14

jlowe
(Not rap singers obviously, but)
There continues to be exceptions to the rule, think:
ADELE
ED SHEERAN
To name but two. I haven't got their sales figures to hand, but I suspect they compare favourably to the big sellers of the past.

Ed Sheeeran's «÷»- album from 2017 has sold 6,1 million physical copies so far..

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 17, 2019 06:24

Eminem was 2018's biggest selling artist at 755,027 units, KAMIKAZE selling 373,067 units, older records making up the difference.

Ehhhhh.... but he had 4.7 billion audio and video streams.

[www.complex.com]

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: January 17, 2019 16:03

fun thing is you keep (and enjoy) a physical copy for years... digital copies got lost... evertyhing digital got lost at the end...

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Date: January 17, 2019 17:16

MononoM
fun thing is you keep (and enjoy) a physical copy for years... digital copies got lost... evertyhing digital got lost at the end...

what digital got lost? iTunes stores your purchases and their cloud backup

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: January 17, 2019 17:23

"Rap is for tone-deaf people" - Keith

[www.rollingstone.com]

Just my opinion, but w/ 99% of rap, I'd prefer to chew tinfoil than listen to it.

I like Run-DMC and the Beasties, if those count as "rap"...or are we just talking about "Gangsta Rap?"

In that case, I like a little: Snoop, Dre, Eminem...and that one 50c song.

that's about it....and most of that is b/c the beats are pretty inviting/engaging.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: January 17, 2019 18:54

It's times like this when I feel embarrassed for Keith. Come on, you're an old fart. You're not "with it" anymore. People his age thought the same thing when the Stones first appeared on the scene.

Date: January 17, 2019 19:04

Boognish

It's times like this when I feel embarrassed for Keith. Come on, you're an old fart. You're not "with it" anymore. People his age thought the same thing when the Stones first appeared on the scene.

good point(s).

though, he's not "with it" on a lot of levels!

besides, the bumper sticker on my car reads: "It's not that I'm old, your music really does suck"

I'm sticking w/ that theory b/c being an Old Fart gives you the right to be a judgmental pr!ck.

haha!

Seriously though, we'll see how many people are listening to this (c)Rap in 50-60 years. Well, I won't b/c I'll be dead, but you get the point.

The true test of quality is time.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: January 17, 2019 19:15

stickyfingers101
Seriously though, we'll see how many people are listening to this (c)Rap in 50-60 years. Well, I won't b/c I'll be dead, but you get the point.

Rap first appeared in the late 1970s and at the time it was considered a fad that would disappear. That was 40 years ago. It's still here and it's still super popular. I don't think it's going away anytime soon.

Date: January 17, 2019 19:43

Boognish
stickyfingers101

Rap first appeared in the late 1970s and at the time it was considered a fad that would disappear. That was 40 years ago. It's still here and it's still super popular. I don't think it's going away anytime soon.

Good point...which would go to my previous post:

are we talking about "Rap" or just "Gangsta Rap"

I don't think the genre "rap" is going anywhere, per se, b/c there will always be some talents in this area....but, most of these Gangsta Rappers (and Gangsta Rap) will likely be swept into the dustbin of history, to quote Trotsky

I see it as sort of like Cheesy 80s "Rock-Metal".....Quiet Riot and that type of nonsense....99% of it is garbage....the Crue was pretty cool and Bon Jovi wasn't nauseatingly horrible on at least a few songs.

Point is: Rock n' Roll will never die (nor will rap) but 99% of sh!t-bird off-shoots like 80s-Cheese-Metal and Gangsta Rap always die-off....b/c they suck.

Date: January 17, 2019 19:51

Boognish
stickyfingers101

I would add that most of the late-1970s rap is not still "super popular."

Only those w/ real talent/innovation/originality endure - Grand Master Flash, Run DMC, LL Cool J (the last 2 might be more 1980s).

Some of these current Gangsta Rappers might endure, but not the way the Rolling Stones have. I don't see Grandma's taking their kids to see Snoop Dogg 30 years from now.

Hell, does Snoop or Dre even tour or make music anymore?

maybe I'm wrong...I dunno. I'm an idiot, so don't take me seriously.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 18, 2019 04:44

Stones rehearsal LA, May '15
Guess Keith knows something about the guy in the middle...

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 18, 2019 19:24

dmay
Just curious: How do you make money on music/video streams? Is there some type of royalties arrangement? Can someone make enough from streaming whatever to have a decadent rock'n'roll/rap/pop lifestyle?

got this from the Internet.

Here's the math: Spotify pays about $0.006 to $0.0084 per stream to the holder of music rights. And the "holder" can be split among the record label, producers, artists, and songwriters. In short, streaming is a volume game.

So 80 million streams would make at least $480,000 .... to be devided over many.
Ed Sheeran would not be so interested in streams, I guess cool smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 18, 2019 19:44

So streaming is great for the consumer (us) less so for the musicians.
Still, they are making plenty of dosh from concerts, so hardly on the breadline.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1737
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home