Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: King Crimson formed 50 years ago today
Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 14, 2019 00:11

Hyde Park '69 warmup act King Crimson formed on January 13, 1969. The current KC lineup is the first that covers all of their lineups. It's three drummers up front, with everyone else on risers behind them. Totally different from the Stones, but the best at their type of music.

Re: OT: King Crimson formed 50 years ago today
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 14, 2019 01:31

Formed in December 1968. First rehearsal was on 13th January.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 14, 2019 03:58

I'm getting old...but I'm so glad I grew up with the greatest music ever made

Date: January 14, 2019 06:45

His Majesty

From the Fripp/Crimson website (dgmlive.com) on January 13, 2019...

"The band was formed exactly 50 years ago today in the Fulham Palace Café, London in 1969. To celebrate the 50th anniversary, we have a year-long series of events planned."

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: January 14, 2019 09:26

The "three-drummer-line-up" is fantastic. But the three drummers aren't drumming all the time, two of them play even keyboard.
If you got the opportunity too see them, go! But don't try to take any photos during the show, even Robert Fripp are keeping an eye out over the audience.
I have seen people been thrown out from the venue!

Date: January 14, 2019 14:48

Thommie
The "three-drummer-line-up" is fantastic. But the three drummers aren't drumming all the time, two of them play even keyboard.
If you got the opportunity too see them, go! But don't try to take any photos during the show, even Robert Fripp are keeping an eye out over the audience.

Only one of the drummers plays keyboard. He replaced another keyboard playing drummer who took a year off for personal reasons. When that drummer returned, he became a full-time keyboard player. So what they have is two full-time drummers, a third drummer who also plays keyboards, and a keyboard player who used to be the third drummer.

Save your camera for the end of the show, when Tony Levin breaks out his camera. Fripp wants everyone to be in the moment. He used to stop shows over shutterbugs.

King Crimson plays some nice rooms. Looking forward to seeing them at Radio City Music Hall in September.

Date: January 14, 2019 16:26

Thommie

They're fabulous! If you try to take pics, though, they'll stop. And they won't play again until they've made sure the photographer is thrown out..

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 14, 2019 16:45

ab
To celebrate the 50th anniversary, we have a year-long series of events planned."

Most fans would wish for a new studio album. Sounds familiar, no? LOL

Saw them last Summer. Great band, great playing, horrible sound. Anyway, worth seeing!

Date: January 14, 2019 16:55

doitywoik
ab
To celebrate the 50th anniversary, we have a year-long series of events planned."

Most fans would wish for a new studio album. Sounds familiar, no? LOL

Saw them last Summer. Great band, great playing, horrible sound. Anyway, worth seeing!

That seems unfathomable to me. It's almost like I'm doubting the sound quality of the venue where you saw them grinning smiley These guys are experts when it comes to sound, tone and dynamics. In another league than our boys when it comes to sound.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 14, 2019 17:08

Horrible sound because it was much louder than the PA system (speakers) could take, just distorted all the time, and totally unbalanced - especially during the first set. I mean it's nice to watch Tony play the bass because he's such a cool guy, but at times you'd also like to hear him ...

In the second set they lowered the volume considerably and things got a bit better.

Part of the problem appears to be that the sound gets brickwalled before it is unleashed on the unsuspecting audience. They offer one track from each show as a download from the dgm site which is reportedly taken right from the soundboard, in 24bit even, but if you open these tracks in a wave editor you find they are brickwalled to the max, which parallels the concert sound. (Talking about the 2018 tour(s).)

Date: January 14, 2019 18:41

ab
His Majesty

From the Fripp/Crimson website (dgmlive.com) on January 13, 2019...

"The band was formed exactly 50 years ago today in the Fulham Palace Café, London in 1969. To celebrate the 50th anniversary, we have a year-long series of events planned."

A silly perspective by Sid Smith.

The band existed before they rehearsed.

It was formed when Greg Lake joined up with Fripp, Giles, Mcodonald and Sinfield in December 1968. Sought and got financial backing from A relative of
Ian which enabled them to buy the mellotron etc they would use on 13 January 1969.

Date: January 14, 2019 20:17

Interesting perspective. This raises a metaphysical question of cosmic significance: at what point can a band be deemed "formed?" I respectfully submit that a condition precedent of a band having formed is having rehearsed, not necessarily with a specific gig in mind, but with an eye toward developing a repertoire for a recording or public performance. Those other things, such as arranging to borrow daddy's money to purchase a Mellotron, are preliminary activities undertaken in contemplation of forming.

A band that hasn't yet rehearsed is merely a legend in its members' collective minds, with the Wyld Stallions, being an infamous example. Maybe they'll play some day. Maybe some member has an overwhelming substance abuse issue that keeps him from getting him together with the other intended members. Maybe some member-to-be gets a better offer, and nothing happens, or a different band eventually forms.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-14 20:23 by ab.

Date: January 15, 2019 00:54

ab
... at what point can a band be deemed "formed?"

In this case it's when the process of formation was completed in December 1968.

When Greg moved in to 93a Brondesbury Road.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1339
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home