Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Turbulent Tornado - Stones book by Maureen Fairbank, Linda Phillips and Susan Ramos
Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 2, 2018 15:47

Three weeks after the tour finish in Warsaw I did finally get time to do some housholding, which includes reading books. One of the books I read this week is this one:

Turbulent Tornado: The Other Side of the Plectrum... The Rolling Stones Fans Paperback - private publication - 3 Apr 2017
by Maureen Fairbank (Author), Linda Phillips (Author), Susan Ramos (Author)

Amazon details of the book:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

This is the kind of book you just have to read from start to end. Written by three "Stones girls", who followed the Stones in the 60's in London, the book bridge the 60's personal touch with the next decades of touring getting bigger and bigger.

Recommended!

Bjornulf

Re: Turbulent Tornado - Stones book by Maureen Fairbank, Linda Phillips and Susan Ramos
Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 2, 2018 15:59

thumbs up

Re: Turbulent Tornado - Stones book by Maureen Fairbank, Linda Phillips and Susan Ramos
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 2, 2018 17:42

I ordered it.

Does this mean you’re going through your barn packed RS t-shirt utopia next,
Bjornulf?

Date: August 2, 2018 17:53

My five decades of memorabilia and memories stacked in the bacement is another story. I need a year without tours to start looking into it. Meanwhile reading Stones related books is a great break, and this book indeed stand out among the hundreds of Stones bookes I have collected over the years. May be I will write my own book one day, after the tours that is. I need time.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: August 2, 2018 19:26

Fun! Thank you for the recommendation!

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: August 2, 2018 19:29

This kind of information, Rockman Stones related threads, some other threads and other cool information and ideas and fun stuff like this is what makes it worth while to still come here. smileys with beer

Date: August 2, 2018 22:35

bv
My five decades of memorabilia and memories stacked in the bacement is another story. I need a year without tours to start looking into it. Meanwhile reading Stones related books is a great break, and this book indeed stand out among the hundreds of Stones bookes I have collected over the years. May be I will write my own book one day, after the tours that is. I need time.

Yeah, alright, that’s the same time I’ll watch all these DVD’s and live shows I put off.
I can’t imagine how fun it would be to catalog and organize a packed 25/35 years of various RS shirts and whatnot,
but to each their own
smileys with beer
Sure sure Bjornulf catch you on the next tour *wink

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 3, 2018 00:22

Quite expensive for a paperback at £18, but will probably end up buying it.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: August 3, 2018 01:33

odean73

And 105 pages is also not that much.
If it is a good read and the pictures are great than maybe...

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 3, 2018 02:07

GJV
odean73

It's independently published which would explain the price.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: August 3, 2018 03:13

Bjornulf,

Hi.

Besides the recommendation on this book, what other books by the Stones do you recommend?

Thanks, John

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 3, 2018 03:40

GJV
odean73

It is 8 1/2 x 11. I've ordered based on Bjornulf's review.

Date: August 3, 2018 12:58

There are more than a thousand books written about The Rolling Stones. If I would have to get rid of 90% of them I would still keep this book "Turbulent Tornado", it is such a great story from fans who enjoyed being so close with the stones in the 60's. Many unique photos, at a cost less than a T-shirt...

I would say this book is like any book written by insiders. If you are holding hands with band members, living a life with them, riding in their car, getting money from Mick to get home from the show, or drinking tea with Brian, then you are inside, and you have great memories to share with other fans.

I just read and stack away all the books, after the tours I may sort them all, but these are great reads, from my memory, from the recent years, all inside stories:

A Prince Among Stones: That Business With The Rolling Stones and Other Adventures by Prince Rupert Loewenstein

Hey Jo by Jo Wood - A Rock and Roll Fairytale

Every Night's a Saturday Night: The Rock 'n' Roll Life of Legendary Sax Man Bobby Keys

Bjornulf

Date: August 24, 2018 23:33

The last 1/3 of the book blows me away smileys with beer
These ladies are the cool smiley

If anyone wants the real lowdown on how the Stones treat the fans backstage,
buy the book and get the truth.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 6, 2019 11:58

bv
There are more than a thousand books written about The Rolling Stones. If I would have to get rid of 90% of them I would still keep this book "Turbulent Tornado", it is such a great story from fans who enjoyed being so close with the stones in the 60's. Many unique photos, at a cost less than a T-shirt...

I would say this book is like any book written by insiders. If you are holding hands with band members, living a life with them, riding in their car, getting money from Mick to get home from the show, or drinking tea with Brian, then you are inside, and you have great memories to share with other fans.

After something of a saga (mainly caused by Amazon's restricted selling to Australia) I finally got my hands on this book.

I strongly agree with BV's view.

It's a real book, written by real people, about real events. It may not be a literary masterpiece, and there are some bad typo's/spelling errors in it, and the reproduction of some of the photo's is a little wanting, but I still highly recommend it.

I've got a huge book collection (getting on for 1,000 books about both The Stones and The Beatles) and many of them are poorly researched books written for the money by people who were not there.

First hand tales by real people always, but always, get my vote. That's why Sam Cutler's book is so good, and Bill German's. There are others. I'd put this book up there with those.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: January 6, 2019 15:01

Sockers56
Bjornulf,

Hi.

Besides the recommendation on this book, what other books by the Stones do you recommend?

Thanks, John

By now, it is Stones books that I mainly collect. We could come up with good lists, but maybe you'd have to specify what kind of book you are going for.
There are factual books of dates and recording data, numbers.
There are beautiful books of photos; often targeting one tour or era.
There are editorial type books, essays.
There are accounts by insiders.
There are bios, auto-bios.
There are reviews.

The book Bjornulf showed us looks good. There is an opening photo of Bill Wyman today with the three women. Havent read the book yet, but the pic makes me wonder if he had all three of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-06 15:03 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1461
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home