Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fans of a certain age--wrap your mind around this
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 14, 2018 19:12

OK, so I'm old enough to remember when the entertainers of my parents generation were the top dogs, and recall the whole time period during the 60's when they were on the way out and the 70's when they were basically irrelevant and done.

So last night I was watching a PBS American Masters episode on Bing Crosby--which was very interesting. When he was younger he transformed popular culture on a whole number of levels, but I recall him as a grandfather-with-a younger wife/family, an elder statesman of sorts. He did that duet with Bowie (which bridged about three or four generations of singers and pop music eras) right before he died on the golf course--at the age of 74.

A year younger than Mick is now.

I have to wonder if younger fans view Mick in the same way that I looked at Bing then.

Re: Fans of a certain age--wrap your mind around this
Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: December 14, 2018 19:15

yes they do.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 14, 2018 19:37

Nah.

As life expectancy has gotten longer, the septuagenarians of today are more in line with how people viewed middle aged people then.
Past their prime? Sure, but still very vital in the entertainment industry.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 14, 2018 20:24

I don't think so. First of all every generation (in the first world) grows older and older. Here they are talking about that 70 is the new 50 (not strictly true, of course).
The 40's generation is known as the "first" youth generation here. They grew up with pop culture, youth fashion, better education and considerably better economic conditions than their parents.
Sir Michael is in a way a product of that generation. The generation that never grows old. That dresses like teenagers even in their 70's. That certainly wasn't the fact with Bing Crosby.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-14 20:39 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 14, 2018 20:35

Now that I'm 58, 60 is the new 40.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 14, 2018 20:44

Elmo Lewis

I think you'll find it's 65.
(I'm 63 next month!)

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 14, 2018 21:04

Interesting to bring up Bing Crosby. He had such a good voice. A few of his tunes are in my permanent listening mix. One of them is him doing "Blue Hawaii" from back in the 1930s. It comes up and people look at me and go, WTF? I just smile.

What's interesting to me is that as I've grown older, not necessarily wiser, I find I have moved away from the music of my time (1960s/early 70s) and listen to a wide variety of music genres. I have family and friends who still listen heavily to the music of the 60s and 70s. I hear it and think about how dated much of it seems now, basically unlistenable as those songs have been played to death, IMHO. It's also why I listen to little of the Stones hits/warhorses. I prefer other songs that are on their albums or were never really popular. Same thing with other artists I love - Neil Young, Dylan, Beatles, Springsteen, etc.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 14, 2018 21:07

Deltics
Elmo Lewis

(I'm 63 next month!)

smileys with beer

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: December 14, 2018 21:15

I was talking to a woman in her early 40s who had a small group of Girl Scouts with her. We were chatting about life before cell phones, tv remotes, etc. The woman asked one of the little girls (maybe 9 years old) "do you know who the Beatles are?" The child replied they're bugs. That about sums it up.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 14, 2018 21:21

loog droog
OK, so I'm old enough to remember when the entertainers of my parents generation were the top dogs, and recall the whole time period during the 60's when they were on the way out and the 70's when they were basically irrelevant and done.

I remember the days of Rin Tin Tin and Lassie also. Sad watching them fade away.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 14, 2018 21:37

MisterDDDD
Nah.

As life expectancy has gotten longer, the septuagenarians of today are more in line with how people viewed middle aged people then.
Past their prime? Sure, but still very vital in the entertainment industry.

Very true,plus very few of those old performers had a career as massive as the Stones.Sinatra would be the only one close and he was selling out the MGM Garden in Vegas in the 1990s when he was something like 85 years old.
The Rolling Stones are part of popular culture and even if they weren’t I still wouldn’t let some punk kids dictate what’s hip and what isn’t to me.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 14, 2018 23:19

loog droog

So last night I was watching a PBS American Masters episode on Bing Crosby--which was very interesting. When he was younger he transformed popular culture on a whole number of levels, but I recall him as a grandfather-with-a younger wife/family, an elder statesman of sorts. He did that duet with Bowie (which bridged about three or four generations of singers and pop music eras) right before he died on the golf course--at the age of 74.

A year younger than Mick is now.

I have to wonder if younger fans view Mick in the same way that I looked at Bing then.

i remember watching that bing special at my grandparent's house. bowie did a stunning version of "heroes" on the show, too.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 14, 2018 23:32

A comparison would be when I listen to Hampton 81, when Mick intros Time Is On My Side saying this is one we recorded when we were just real small or words to that effect. That was 1964. Only 17 years prior. It would be like in 2019 if he says we'd like to do an old one for you know and they play Don't Stop! smiling smiley

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 15, 2018 02:03

now that i'm 67 1/2/ it's def the new 16.
yay cannabis is legal. we won.
took long enough.
i had to wait all these decades for my very first experience,
always concientious about the law and spellingh.,
now i'm about to 'vape' as they say. hold on...

[www.youtube.com]

..;

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-15 02:05 by hopkins.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: December 15, 2018 02:13

It seems to me that young people either dont know anything about Jagger or respect him but i have not heard any teens-early 20's trash him.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 15, 2018 02:33

Why should young people care about The Rolling Stones today? Kids are inclined for the future, The Rolling Stones is a phenomena of the past.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-15 03:17 by Stoneage.

Date: December 15, 2018 02:42

I'm 17 years old and I view every member of that band as "young" and I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that 75 years old is "old" because of them. They have completely changed my perception of people that are elderly.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: December 15, 2018 02:58

Bing Crosby looked old when he was young. His hairline receded early and he had lines on his face early in life, too. He was supposedly a drinker for some time in his life. He's more of a Keith type than a Mick type,

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 15, 2018 04:35

Muddy Waters seemed ancient when I saw him in 1980. It's incredible to think that he was only 65 then. He may have seemed pre-historic to me, because I was only 21 at the time, but more than that, it was because he acted so geriatric, putting in what was little more than a guest appearance at his own show. In fact, he was onstage for only three out of the nine songs his band performed! I don't know, I guess the average 65-year-old is just in much better physical condition nowadays.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 15, 2018 04:39

People back then dressed, acted, and looked older. Big looked to be in his 70's when he was 50. Age is a whole different thing today. I recently saw a picture of my grandparents when they were in their late 40's and it was unreal to think my sister now is older then they were then. They looked to be in their 70's and she is in her mid 50's and looks to be in her mid 40's.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 15, 2018 05:03

Heck when I first saw the Beatles I thought
they looked old … you know in those matching
suits and the hair just touchin the ears....
I didn't wanna look like that …..then when my
Gran said Ringo and Bert Newton looked cute
all I wanted to do was go puke behind the back shed ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 15, 2018 05:16

Rockman
Heck when I first saw the Beatles I thought
they looked old … you know in those matching
suits and the hair just touchin the ears....
I didn't wanna look like that …..then when my
Gran said Ringo and Bert Newton looked cute
all I wanted to do was go puke behind the back shed ….

(behind the back shed is where he hides his beetle albums).
don't fall for the distraction, people.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 15, 2018 07:21

hid stacks of stuff behind
that shed .…... did a lotta sins too ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 15, 2018 08:58

Deltics
Elmo Lewis

(I'm 63 next month!)

At 70 I am frequently being "attacked" by a pretty, 27 years young, woman (and it's not money she's after). How young should I feel? Maybe I should ask Mick?

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 15, 2018 10:28

georgie48
Deltics
Elmo Lewis

(I'm 63 next month!)

At 70 I am frequently being "attacked" by a pretty, 27 years young, woman (and it's not money she's after). How young should I feel? Maybe I should ask Mick?

Just let her change the sheets and bedpan and she’ll leave you alone.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 15, 2018 11:18

steffialicia
The child replied they're bugs. That about sums it up.

Yeah, a stupid kid smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 15, 2018 11:22

Stoneage
The Rolling Stones is a phenomena of the past.

Past, present and future smileys with beer cheers

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 15, 2018 12:48

Stoneage
Why should young people care about The Rolling Stones today? Kids are inclined for the future, The Rolling Stones is a phenomena of the past.

Except for the copyright owners!

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 15, 2018 13:25

Stoneage
... but theirs records are still here...!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 15, 2018 17:13

lem motlow
georgie48
Deltics
Elmo Lewis
grinning smiley

(I'm 63 next month!)

Just let her change the sheets and bedpan and she’ll leave you alone.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1859
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home