Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
OT: Abba to reunite?
Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: November 10, 2013 20:31

Agnetha Fältskog has hinted on a possibility for ABBA to reunite in 2014 for to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Waterloo song victory in European Song Contest in 1974, but on the other hand Benny Anderson has said that he is not aware of this, so it doesn't seem very likely to happen but I think it would be great, I'm a Stones fan but I have always liked the ABBA songs and especially the sound of the female vocalists. They have been offered a huge amount of money in the past for a tour but they have always refused and in the past I think it was Agnetha who especially didn't want this to happen...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-07 08:22 by bv.

Re: OT: Abba to reunite in 2014???
Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: November 10, 2013 20:42

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: November 10, 2013 20:48

The amount of money they could make on a full on tour would make even Mick envious.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 10, 2013 20:55

They don't need any more money so they won't tour based on that.

However, they should do it for the fans, and donate all the cash to their favourite charities.

That would be so massively win-win and it would make Bono look greedy by comparison.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 10, 2013 21:10

Maybe a single reunion in 2014 for a special event to celebrate the 40th anniversary of 'Waterloo'.

Like Pink Floyd had reunited in 2005 for the 'Live 8' benefit concerts.

In February 2000 ABBA had rejected a reunion, although there was an offer with 1 Billion US-$.

More about ABBA and reunion: [en.wikipedia.org]

Date: November 10, 2013 21:13

Irix
Maybe a single reunion in 2014 for a special event to celebrate the 40th anniversary of 'Waterloo'.

Like Pink Floyd had reunited in 2005 for the 'Live 8' benefit concerts.

In February 2000 ABBA had rejected a reunion, although there was an offer with 1 Billion US-$.

More about ABBA and reunion: [en.wikipedia.org]

When or if MJ heard about this rejection he must have been thinking, what the hell, they must be crazy!!!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 10, 2013 21:17

StonesCat
The amount of money they could make on a full on tour would make even Mick envious.

Abba were a genuine phenomenon in the U.K. and across Europe. Abba Gold is the second biggest-selling album in U.K. chart history. They were monstrously popular and their music is still heard constantly in Britain. A tour will do very, very well. I think they were terrific, but they suffer from over familiarity. Waterloo, SOS, Take A Chance On Me, Money, Money, Money... Jesus, how many times have I heard these songs? They’re practically inescapable!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 10, 2013 21:21

I hope the Stones will reunite in 2014.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: November 10, 2013 21:25

rollingon
Agnetha Fältskog has hinted on a possibility for ABBA to reunite in 2014 for to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Waterloo song victory in European Song Contest in 1974, but on the other hand Benny Anderson has said that he is not aware of this, so it doesn't seem very likely to happen but I think it would be great, I'm a Stones fan but I have always liked the ABBA songs and especially the sound of the female vocalists. They have been offered a huge amount of money in the past for a tour but they have always refused and in the past I think it was Agnetha who especially didn't want this to happen...

Forget it, and for good reasons I think. I saw them myself in '79, they were still young and inspired. Agnetha explains it at the end of this clip:

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 10, 2013 21:37

If they were to reunite that would be a very big deal. I'm not a fan at all, but they've been adamant forever that they are not getting back together, including very recently. So if something changed that, that would be huge. I'm tending to think this is a fluke, although if she actually said that it would be unlike her to just lie. They seem to have had no problem for the last 20 years saying they just aren't touring.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: November 10, 2013 21:41

Boy, should this thread be deleted. Discussing abba on a Rolling Stones board? Ugh.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 10, 2013 21:44

treaclefingers

However, they should do it for the fans, and donate all the cash to their favourite charities.

That would be so massively win-win and it would make Bono look greedy by comparison.

grinning smiley

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: November 10, 2013 22:00

Big Al
StonesCat

Waterloo, SOS, Take A Chance On Me, Money, Money, Money... Jesus, how many times have I heard these songs? They’re practically inescapable!

More or less played on a continuous loop, on night time commercial radio in the UK.winking smiley

What a drag it is gettin' old

Date: November 10, 2013 22:00

kleermaker
treaclefingers

grinning smiley

What about the Stones, Kleer ? cool smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 10, 2013 22:05

bam

Boy, should this thread be deleted.

Why?

ABBA are since 2010 Members of the 'Rock and Roll Hall of Fame': [news.bbc.co.uk] and [en.wikipedia.org] and of course [www.rockhall.com] .

Date: November 10, 2013 22:09

svt22
kleermaker
treaclefingers

grinning smiley

It's commonly known that the Stones are very greedy indeed, svt. They certainly are no philanthropists and don't pretend to be that as far as I know.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: November 10, 2013 22:24

Of course there will never be a reunion, but anyway this video directed by Lasse Hallström will knock your socks off!!!

Date: November 10, 2013 22:30

kleermaker
svt22
kleermaker
treaclefingers

grinning smiley

It's commonly known that the Stones are very greedy indeed, svt. They certainly are no philanthropists and don't pretend to be that as far as I know.

2 guitarists were backing ABBA up in '79, and although they didn't feature on every song like the '79 Stones' guitar department, I must say I was more impressed during the Brussels '79 gig, my secret ABBA "Brussels affair". Listening to ABBA back in the day was "not done" according to many people, let alone going to one of their concerts. But the Stones' greediness, yes, you're probably right.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 10, 2013 22:41

Apparently ABBA has sold 380 millions records which is an enormous amount. I believe the Rolling Stones have sold 200 millions. I don't care about the swedish band's music but I am very surprised by their popularity.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 10, 2013 22:41

YABA ABBA DOO!!!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 10, 2013 22:48

rollmops
I am very surprised by their popularity.

Mops

Why? They wrote and recorded catchy, melodious, feel-good pop music. Wonderful stuff.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 10, 2013 22:57

bam
Discussing abba on a Rolling Stones board?

You mean just because you like The Stones, you're not allowed to like ABBA?

If you type "ABBA" into the search function for "All dates" you get 34 pages of results totaling over 1,000 posts.

Even Sid Vicious was a (closet) fan of ABBA.

"Glenn (Matlock) was a closet Abba fan and funny enough, so was Sid (Vicious)," Sex Pistols singer John Lydon revealed on the sleeve notes to the band's 1992 Best Of compilation.

"One time, Sid ran up to the girls from Abba in the Stockholm airport to ask for their autograph. Sid was completely drunk and stuck his hand out," he recalled.

"They screamed and ran away. They thought they were being attacked - or maybe they thought he wanted money or something."

John Lydon: "Sid and I used to do some busking in London and we would play ABBA. Sid would play the tambourine and people would come over and offer to pay if we'd shut up."

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 10, 2013 22:57

What is this abba you speak of rollingon? I can't find it on the periodic scale...

Date: November 10, 2013 22:59

A lead singer with stage fright? Nah, won't happen...

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 10, 2013 23:15

Big Al
rollmops

Mops

Why? They wrote and recorded catchy, melodious, feel-good pop music. Wonderful stuff.
I should have written "huge popularity" because 380 mil. is a lot of sold records almost twice as much as the Rolling Stones and ABBA apparently doesn't tour.
Pop music is fine but I don't listen to it.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: November 10, 2013 23:16

Big Al
rollmops

Mops

And their studio production talent was out of this world back in those days (and still can be compared to any studio production), I have seen a documentary about what Abba, especially Ulveus and Andersson and their engineers exactly did in the studio and I must say they were very, very talented people. And when they had those two beautiful female voices which matched perfectly together the end result was spectacular.

I remember Bono saying big words about Abba. The Stones are clearly number one for me, but if I should compare Abba and the Beatles, well, that would be much harder question for me to answer.

Date: November 11, 2013 00:51

svt22
kleermaker
svt22
kleermaker
treaclefingers

grinning smiley

2 guitarists were backing ABBA up in '79, and although they didn't feature on every song like the '79 Stones' guitar department, I must say I was more impressed during the Brussels '79 gig, my secret ABBA "Brussels affair". Listening to ABBA back in the day was "not done" according to many people, let alone going to one of their concerts. But the Stones' greediness, yes, you're probably right.

I always had a secret love for that blond female ABBA singer. cool smiley

Date: November 11, 2013 01:02

kleermaker
svt22
kleermaker
svt22
kleermaker
treaclefingers

grinning smiley

I didn't tell that to my girlfriend who wanted me to join going to ABBA, but frankly, I liked all the three of them. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: November 11, 2013 01:11

svt22
kleermaker
svt22
kleermaker
svt22
kleermaker
treaclefingers

grinning smiley

I didn't tell that to my girlfriend who wanted me to join going to ABBA, but frankly, I liked all the three of them. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

But the other two were out of your reach tongue sticking out smiley

Date: November 11, 2013 01:13

kleermaker
svt22
kleermaker
svt22
kleermaker
svt22
kleermaker
treaclefingers

grinning smiley

But the other two were out of your reach tongue sticking out smiley

angry smiley

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1750
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home