Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT : Taylor Swift tracked stalkers with facial recognition tech at her concert
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 13, 2018 05:29

“SURVEILLANCE AT A CONCERT — A PRIVATE EVENT — IS LEGAL”

[www.theverge.com]

Taylor Swift held a concert at California’s Rose Bowl this past May that was monitored by a facial recognition system. The system’s target? Hundreds of Swift’s stalkers.

Swift’s facial recognition system was built into a kiosk that displayed highlights of her rehearsals, which would secretly record onlookers’ faces. According to Rolling Stone, which spoke with a concert security expert who observed the kiosk, attendees who looked at the kiosk were immediately scanned. Afterward, the data was sent to a “command post” in Nashville, Tennessee that attempted to match hundreds of images to a database of her known stalkers.

US artists haven’t previously been publicized for using facial recognition tech at their concerts. However, the legality of doing so is on the artist’s side: a concert is technically a private event, therefore event organizers can subject concert-goers to almost any kind of surveillance.

The security measures taken for Swift’s event could be considered extreme, but it’s not the first time facial recognition has been used to look out for unwanted attendees.

This past April, Chinese police arrested a 31-year-old suspect who was hiding among nearly 60,000 people during a concert at Nanchang International Sports Center. This was made possible by the early stages of China’s own “Xue Liang,” or “Sharp Eyes,” monitoring system, which will be tasked with monitoring the movements of its citizens.

Back in the US, advancements are also being made with facial recognition technology in big crowds. For example, Ticketmaster envisions replacing tickets with a facial scan that is tied to your seat, and it is further developing the tech. While you might not be scanned going to see the next Marvel film, the movie ticket of the future might just be your face.

Re: OT : Taylor Swift tracked stalkers with facial recognition tech at her concert
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 13, 2018 06:58

….yeah that's why I always tell my criminal mates ……. Learn ta walk backwards

ROCKMAN

Re: OT : Taylor Swift tracked stalkers with facial recognition tech at her concert
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 13, 2018 08:21

That's there are no pictures of me. Don't want them looking for this taper.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 13, 2018 13:12

Another nail in the coffin for attending live events with Live Nation/Ticketmaster . This is incredible ! People get called a lot of names for falling off the grid , but privacy is precious and to be protected .

Date: December 13, 2018 13:47

While we are on this subject I have no issues with facial recognition being used for air travel because that protects society from terrorists , but for a concert -no . In this day and age with hackers stealing everything that they can get there paws on it makes you pause and step back . Last night on the news it was reported there was a very sophisticated hack of all US citizens identity by the China -names and all kids of personal information to be used now and in the future for all kinds of nefarious deeds. So something as attending a live event and being subjected to facial recognition -no thanks !

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 13, 2018 16:30

Marilyn Manson who often mixed the concepts of rock'n roll and fascism should now have enoough ideas to write a double concept album...

LOL? Not really...

EDIT : And Swift - a staunch Trump opposant - allowed this surveillance device to be tried in a live situation. Who would have thought...
The NSA is a fan of the singer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-13 22:42 by dcba.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 13, 2018 16:32

The privacy taken away by technology shouldn’t impact your life if you aren’t a criminal/doing anything wrong.

Poor Taylor. Some serious crazy MF’s but she steps over it and reaches out and connects to her true fans.
I like Taylor Swift’s business savvy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-13 16:33 by 35love.

Date: December 13, 2018 16:37

Concert checklist:

- Sunglasses
- Hat
- Wig
- Fake mustache
- Fake beard
- Mask
- Scarf
- Change of clothing

- Autograph book
- Pen
- Camera / Smartphone

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 13, 2018 16:41

I don't see it as a big deal. If you're not a "person of interest" as a suspected terrorist or a known stalker the star has reason to fear, there is no harm in the technology's use. No one wants another Ariana Grande concert where people are murdered or another John Lennon-style assassination.

Date: December 13, 2018 16:43

agree

Date: December 13, 2018 17:41

Rocky Dijon
I don't see it as a big deal. If you're not a "person of interest" as a suspected terrorist or a known stalker the star has reason to fear, there is no harm in the technology's use. No one wants another Ariana Grande concert where people are murdered or another John Lennon-style assassination.

What does Taylor Swift's use of facial recognition have ANYTHING to do with a terrorist detonating a bomb after a show? That is like Trump saying the shooting in France this week is justification for his stupid wall.

Date: December 13, 2018 17:53

Rocky Dijon
What about the mass collection of data with peoples identity , home addresses etc. Then factor in the hackers getting your private information ? Are you comfortable with that ?

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 13, 2018 18:03

TheGreek
Rocky Dijon
What about the mass collection of data with peoples identity , home addresses etc. Then factor in the hackers getting your private information ? Are you comfortable with that ?

agree 100% with you TheGreek

the logic "if you have nothing to hide..." is the first step to totalitarism

the fact that China government is leading the research on these technologies is telling, me thinks

Posted by: nick ()
Date: December 13, 2018 18:20

Social Security # is the key to the spoils.

Date: December 13, 2018 18:24

And yet another joyous interaction with my fellow IORRians. 'tis the Season.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date: December 13, 2018 18:36

Suppose it's not really that surprising... assuming that this technology is already being used at train & subway & bus stations, airports, tourist destinations, historic sites, etc...

Date: December 13, 2018 19:56

schillid
Suppose it's not really that surprising... assuming that this technology is already being used at train & subway & bus stations, airports, tourist destinations, historic sites, etc...
I understand that in that is to keep everyone safe (even though data mine of that is also vulnerable ) but for a stupid concert ? With Live Nation/Ticketmaster ? There have been to many hacks already and then just for a stupid show to collect and store data like this ? No thanks if that is the direction that live event ticketing goes !Just check out the story that was reported last night on NBC Nightly News, and it talks all about what China is doing . The real danger is the collection of the data even though it might not be used currently but at anytime in the future . To be able to track your travel , your purchases , your every move . Are you comfortable to sacrifice that for a stupid live concert ?

Date: December 13, 2018 20:17

Rocky Dijon

Well, with misinformed statements what do you expect? All the facial recognition software in the world would have done nothing to prevent a terrorist attack outside a venue after the show.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 13, 2018 20:42

first the shame of people finding out you were at one of her shows.
then it gets more weird?
super. let's hope the security concerns are somehow justified.
sick shit happens in December to singers sometimes.
God who know wattup with all this; not good.

Date: December 13, 2018 21:54

daspyknows
Rocky Dijon

Well, with misinformed statements what do you expect? All the facial recognition software in the world would have done nothing to prevent a terrorist attack outside a venue after the show.

What do I expect? To be treated with something approaching common courtesy even if our opinions are not the same. Not to be compared to Trump as in your first response to me. Not to be told your rudeness is what I should expect because an opinion you don't agree with is "misinformed."

And yes, I understand the concerns of turning into a police state or of the implications of identity theft. Schillid posted a news story that could very well become standard practice at concerts or in shopping malls or on street corners. That has relevance on a Stones board and was a good topic for discussion. For starters, this sort of technology isn't something people vote for, it's just suddenly there.

If you shop online or use a credit card or debit card or use social media or bank anywhere, you have already been compromised or had your information sold. There are good and bad implications. All technology has the possibility of abuse. Good points were made on both sides. There is no reason for rudeness or belittling.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-13 22:24 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: December 13, 2018 23:15

Her career isn't what it used to be. The story seems like an attempt at publicity. I'm sure she does attract some bad fans, but what if the bad guys don't show up at the kiosk to watch her rehearsal videos? As it is, the big stadiums and arenas already have cameras that take high-definition pictures of the entire crowd. Some sports teams put the pictures up so you can find your own picture by scanning over to the area where your seat was located. Her staff can also ask Ticketmaster for ticket buyer info.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 13, 2018 23:19

schillid
Concert checklist:

- Sunglasses
- Hat
- Wig
- Fake mustache
- Fake beard
- Mask
- Scarf
- Change of clothing

- Autograph book
- Pen
- Camera / Smartphone

I laughed at this, and then the thread went haywire.
I’m going to put on Christmas music and try to stay positive.
Happy Holidays sincerely IORR friends——

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: December 14, 2018 00:19

oh crap.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 14, 2018 00:26

Yeah - she is on the lookout for Katy Perry -

Date: December 14, 2018 03:09

Rocky Dijon
daspyknows
Rocky Dijon

What do I expect? To be treated with something approaching common courtesy even if our opinions are not the same. Not to be compared to Trump as in your first response to me. Not to be told your rudeness is what I should expect because an opinion you don't agree with is "misinformed."

And yes, I understand the concerns of turning into a police state or of the implications of identity theft. Schillid posted a news story that could very well become standard practice at concerts or in shopping malls or on street corners. That has relevance on a Stones board and was a good topic for discussion. For starters, this sort of technology isn't something people vote for, it's just suddenly there.

If you shop online or use a credit card or debit card or use social media or bank anywhere, you have already been compromised or had your information sold. There are good and bad implications. All technology has the possibility of abuse. Good points were made on both sides. There is no reason for rudeness or belittling.

Sorry if you thought I was rude but you were misinformed. The bombing occurred outside the venue after the show. Facial recognition software would have done nothing to prevent the bombing as much as a wall on the border would solve terrorist activities like what happened in France. In those regards I stand by what I said. Much of the security is just theater to make people feel safe but doing little to really make people safe.

Date: December 14, 2018 03:15

That's a fair point and yes, you're correct. I see that.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 14, 2018 04:33

Rocky you have been so kind to me; and to almost everybody I've ever read you interact with; and when disagreements, involving me or others arose, I looked to your guidance with particular respect and it helped grow me in important ways that makes me feel that my friendship with you is more than virtual and really meaningful. don't mean to get sloppy; or get into this, but did appreciate your salient and respectul response. i've lost my temper like that other guy or gal but not at you, well maybe; might be...
...but i stand by all of this and appreciate your influence here; and the good company and personal growth it's afforded me as a fan. i was way into judgement
because i WAS and AM super fan; i just am and don't ever need to prove it to anybody; but could easily in ten seconds with a guitar and do that all the time in my sleep at this point. damn it's a disease; i tried to cure it, there is no cure.-- ya see? there i go...
meant to say you helped mature me as fan; as they matured ten years older than even older than dirt hoppy...
....and i was able to drop back; love Bill but appreciate Darryl's warmth and position and talents...and etc....you were no friggin help with Chuck; let's not go there...
...okaaay....the was guy either let's not go there..
okay...

you helpede me love and accept and enjoy them again; i mean you were part
of explaining their epochs and various arrivals and tenures in a manner i could
really hear and respect; it let THEM and me, off the hook;
and into the groove, which is there. they live. they walk. they show up.
they do what they do God bless them.

it's the rockin pneumomnia and the boogie woogie flu; it don't matter how you feel about it if it's got you. Rocky you are all Aces. Full hand. imo.
hey hopkins out.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-14 04:38 by hopkins.

Date: December 14, 2018 04:48

Thanks, hopkins. I love your posts. They remind me of the fun I had reading the liner notes on the back of THE ROLLING STONES NOW LP when I was 13 or thereabouts. Just as Andrew's "they're more than just a band, they're a way of life" hyperbole was something I embraced as Gospel on the first LP, I loved that he made me work to get the jokes and references with his finest and longest piece on the band. I experienced some of that fun reading his books. I get that same charge from your posts.

And before you say too nice of things about me, I edited my initial response to daspyknows in this thread because I was way over the top with my usual quick temper bi-polar extremes. It happens. In the end, we're all fans. We just need to not Take It So Hard. Very often, that applies to me more than others.

Date: December 14, 2018 16:27

Group hug ...

Date: December 14, 2018 16:33

Nah, I just lost my anger. I'm still not letting the wife send daspy a Christmas card this year.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1976
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home