Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: An in terview with David Lee Roth of VH fame
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 14, 2018 18:13

Ahh, Diamond Dave. Always good for a laugh or two, a touch of craziness. I can still smile remembering his "Just A Gigolo" video.

[www.vulture.com]

Re: OT: An in terview with David Lee Roth of VH fame
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 14, 2018 18:46

Jesus, the guy is a trip. He never fails to disappoint.

I wonder if it's even possible to get him to put the shtick aside and have a NORMAL conversation with the real person.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: December 14, 2018 19:29

I love Dave!

He MC'd my first show back in '81 when VH crushed Dayton... I will always be a fan!

If you want normal, you've gotta look elsewhere... Dave is one of a kind!

The 2 interviews linked so far on the Van Halen News Desk seem to show potential activity next year from Van Halen, so one can only hope. Even a hint as to a possible "original" lineup as I took it... Fingers crossed!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 14, 2018 20:36

Was a pleasure to see them open for the Stones in Orlando 1981

Date: December 14, 2018 20:36

Elmo Lewis

$15 to see the Stones, Van Halen, and the Henry Paul Band.

The whole field was "the pit".

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 14, 2018 20:46

He is fabulous...great interview!

Date: December 14, 2018 20:48

Elmo Lewis
Jeez, I had no damn idea VH ever opened for the Stones. What a show that must have been.

Date: December 14, 2018 20:51

I saw them on their very first tour...Wowsa

But now David Lee Roth is a goof ball deluxe and his mind is totally fried!

Date: December 14, 2018 21:00

keefriff99
Elmo Lewis
Jeez, I had no damn idea VH ever opened for the Stones. What a show that must have been.

Yes, the above picture (I think it is the back cover of Diver Down) was taken there on the 2nd day. Note shoe on stage - it is in our personal pics from then.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 14, 2018 21:24

Diamond Dave...that boy is one of a kind.The stuff from Van Halen is amazing of course but even that first band he put together when he left was crazy.
Most people just know it from the videos but I saw them live once,it was jaw dropping,Steve Vai and that bass player were crazy good.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: December 14, 2018 21:33

Elmo Lewis
The whole field was "the pit".

lol and Quote of the month! The 80s rocked.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 14, 2018 21:35

Kind of Ironic guitar god Eddie created one of the best rock intro's on a synthizer on Jump.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 14, 2018 21:50

keefriff99
Elmo Lewis

They also opened for them in 78 at the Superdome I believe. Look at the pic posted from Orlando. Band doing their final bows and the crowd with their fists in the air! Not often you'll see that response for an opening act!

Date: December 14, 2018 21:55

lem motlow
Diamond Dave...that boy is one of a kind.The stuff from Van Halen is amazing of course but even that first band he put together when he left was crazy.
Most people just know it from the videos but I saw them live once,it was jaw dropping,Steve Vai and that bass player were crazy good.
Billy Sheehan from Mr. Big? He is an absolute virtuoso on the bass.

What a lineup Dave had for those shows.

"Give me a bottle of anything...and a glazed doughnut...to go!"

Date: December 14, 2018 22:03

keefriff99
lem motlow

was brett toggle on keys then?

Date: December 14, 2018 22:13

keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
lem motlow

Just looking at Wiki, Tuggle was on keys for Skyscraper (1988) but not Eat 'Em and Smile ('86).

Date: December 14, 2018 22:14

keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
lem motlow

Just looking at Wiki, Tuggle did the Eat 'Em and Smile tour in 1986, but wasn't on the actual record. He was on the follow-up, Skyscraper, in '88.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 14, 2018 23:12

about the thread title: OMG, you mean there's another one?! haha

Date: December 14, 2018 23:17

keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
lem motlow

Just looking at Wiki, Tuggle was on keys for Skyscraper (1988) but not Eat 'Em and Smile ('86).

ok dang, tuggle is a beast . I remember them also having a great drummer

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 14, 2018 23:27

keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
lem motlow

ok dang, tuggle is a beast . I remember them also having a great drummer

Saw DLR in 86, 88, 91 and 02 and 81, 82, 84, 07,12 with VH. 86 had Vai/Sheehan and Greg Bissonette on drums. Wicked lineup, watching Vai and Sheehan have dueling solos. I read Eddie wanted to replace Mike Anthony with Sheehan back in the early 80s when Sheehan's band Talas opened for VH. Saw Van Hagar a few months later. In 88 Sheehan was replaced on tour by Matt Bissonette and Tuggle was the keyboard player. I believe he cowrote alot of the songs on the Skyscraper album which is heavy on keyboards. The Bissonettes eventually left but joined Satriani eventually.

If VH does do something in 2019, I hope they can get Mike Anthony back. His harmony vocals are a big part of the VH sound. Wolfie can play rhythm guitar along with his dad. Lastly, I hope DLR uses an autotune to stay in tune when he sings!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: December 14, 2018 23:47

DGA35
keefriff99
Elmo Lewis

They also opened for them in 78 at the Superdome I believe. Look at the pic posted from Orlando. Band doing their final bows and the crowd with their fists in the air! Not often you'll see that response for an opening act!

Yep,

[iorr.org]

[iorr.org]

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: December 14, 2018 23:56

saw them I think it was '81,they had a huge concert back then called texxas jam in dallas, it when van halen, boston,heart, blue oyster cult,Nazareth, and Sammy hagar, van halen laid waste to all maybe the best live show ive ever seen, and roth was a huge reason why

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: December 15, 2018 02:05

A complete baffoon not sure which one is worse Roth or Gene Simmons

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 15, 2018 05:01

I saw them at US Festival 83 headlining "heavy metal day", and thought they were pretty bad.
Still like some songs from their first few albums though...Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love is prob my favorite, and Eruption was intense back in the day.

As for David Lee Roth, can't help but think of when he slammed the microphone into his face a few years ago during the taping of Jimmy Kimmel....

Roth

"This isn’t the first time Roth has injured himself in a stage accident.
The singer had to cancel his U.S. solo tour in 2003 after smacking himself in the face with a large pole
while attempting a samurai move. Roth needed 21 stitches for that episode".

Date: December 15, 2018 06:45

Ain't Talking About Love is probably my favorite VH song of all time as well...pure perfection.

They were such a goddamn unique band...EVH's brilliant guitar pyrotechnics and inimitable tone, Alex's signature and instantly recognizable "brown sound" snare, Michael Anthony's terrific, soaring tenor backing vocals, and Roth's unparalleled showmanship and Borscht Belt shtick-inspired lyrics and delivery.

You couldn't make up a band like that if you tried.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 15, 2018 14:10

There's no one like DLR. He's a handful but you also can't have Van Halen without him.

Date: December 15, 2018 14:34

Hairball
I saw them at US Festival 83 headlining "heavy metal day", and thought they were pretty bad.
Still like some songs from their first few albums though...Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love is prob my favorite, and Eruption was intense back in the day.

As for David Lee Roth, can't help but think of when he slammed the microphone into his face a few years ago during the taping of Jimmy Kimmel....

Roth

"This isn’t the first time Roth has injured himself in a stage accident.
The singer had to cancel his U.S. solo tour in 2003 after smacking himself in the face with a large pole
while attempting a samurai move. Roth needed 21 stitches for that episode".
On the Kimmel set it was such a drag. Because the anticipation had been electric; and then it all went flat in a second, And they had to re-shoot the whoooole thing again. But in the big picture it was actually a cool thing; it just showed how keyed up they were.
Yes - I too thought DLR in his first incarbation after VH was sh*thot. Loved the band and loved the material. Way better than what the brothers did with Tequila hawking idiot.

Date: December 15, 2018 14:43

Ket
A complete baffoon not sure which one is worse Roth or Gene Simmons

I'm willing to bet both of them are much smarter than you give them credit for

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 15, 2018 17:51

keefriff99
lem motlow

Being from Buffalo I used to see Sheehan in a local band called Talas. He was a killer on bass back the. People would pay their two bucks just to see him play.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 15, 2018 18:00

DGA35
keefriff99
Elmo Lewis

thats true! I saw them open up for Journey and Ronnie Montrose at a dump called The Century Theater in 1978. Blew me away!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2146
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home