Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Blondie Chaplin-last night
Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: December 13, 2018 15:48

Saw an old friend last night ...Blondie Chaplin playing with Brian Wilson at the Hard Rock in Sunrise/Ft Lauderdale, FL.

First time I saw him was in the lobby on United Nations building for a WNEW-FM Hungerthon. He showed up with Rick Danko. Blondie played and sang a stunning version of Can't Find My way home.

I also recall a show at The Pier when The Band opened for Johhny Winter as I recall.

not sure how to upload a photo?!

Re: Blondie Chaplin-last night
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 13, 2018 18:59

I don't recall the reason he was "laid off" from the Stones.
He sang some backup on Crosseyed Heart, but maybe that was recorded prior to his sudden departure?
Whatever the reason, it was for the better imo.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 13, 2018 19:10

Maybe Blondie got tired of being the mystery guitar guy off to the side all those years playing alongside the weavers LOL.

My dad lived off Knob Hill road in sunrise know the area well.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: December 13, 2018 19:37

I've heard he does a great version of Run Rudolph Run these days...hopefully somebody will post it.....on we perhaps...

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 13, 2018 19:48

I agree he was AWOL with the Stones but he is a great guitar player, singer, performer, and song writer. I was surprised at how good he is when I saw him with Brian and Jeff Beck.

Posted by: chrisvw ()
Date: December 13, 2018 20:30

we saw blondie last week with the brian wilson holiday show and thought his performances were the highlights of the show. especially blondie's rendition of "oh, holy night" - very soulful and beautiful!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 13, 2018 22:24

OpenG
Maybe Blondie got tired of being the mystery guitar guy off to the side all those years playing alongside the weavers LOL.

My dad lived off Knob Hill road in sunrise know the area well.

I remember discussing Blondie after seeing the 2006 show in Vancouver. I couldn't believe how many songs he actually played guitar on. JJF was the opening song and he was sitting on the ground playing guitar near where Chuck plays piano but behind the speakers. I was on the floor to the left so I could see him playing.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: December 13, 2018 23:19

He gets a chance in the spotlight with Brian Wilson's band. He got his start with the Beach Boys (Carl Wilson discovered him with The Flame). He can sing well and plays lead guitar. I don't know if the Stones gig was more lucrative, but he wasn't getting much to do with them.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 14, 2018 01:54

corriecas
He sure did not add anything. Yeah yawning. Rather see Lisa in a short leather skirt.
Jeroen

Tough crowd...

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: December 14, 2018 05:50

Blondie kills with Brian's band.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 14, 2018 05:58

Wry Cooter
Blondie kills with Brian's band.

Indeed.

Very nice version of one of Carl's best songs...

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: December 14, 2018 07:04

Watch the San Jose 99 show. Who do you think is playing the acoustic guitar that is giving Keith and Ronnie the freedom to noodle about?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 14, 2018 11:02

Blondie is an excellent musician and that is why he was hired by The Rolling Stones, and now with Brian Wilson. The Rolling Stones were scaling down the act in order to save running cost.

Bjornulf

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 14, 2018 16:49

bv
Blondie is an excellent musician and that is why he was hired by The Rolling Stones, and now with Brian Wilson. The Rolling Stones were scaling down the act in order to save running cost.

Yeah... no money earned with the gigs with Blondie????
jeroen

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 14, 2018 16:56

corriecas
bv

Yeah... no money earned with the gigs with Blondie????
jeroen

Revenue is the difference between income and cost. If you take away a bit of the brass section and and backing vocals/guitar i.e. two out of thirteen then you may replace with Bill and Mick T and a choir on YCAGWYW. Also, the fact that everyone is sober on stage makes the need for an extra guitar player on stage less important.

Bjornulf

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 14, 2018 17:40

Blondie was a fine musician and was insurance if the weavers were not always sober on stage(LOL). It was reported that some of the shows had that mystery guitar.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 14, 2018 21:08

OpenG
Blondie was a fine musician and was insurance if the weavers were not always sober on stage(LOL). It was reported that some of the shows had that mystery guitar.
As I understood, it was the opposite.
Mick Jagger thought Blondie had a bad influence on Keith and were not allowed to continue touring with Stones.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: December 14, 2018 22:39

I saw him strumming on stage on some songs but honestly could never hear his guitar in the mix at all.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 14, 2018 22:47

Might be stating the obvious here, but Blondie was the lead vocalist on the Beach Boys classics Sail On Sailor.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 14, 2018 22:51

mtaylor
OpenG
Mick Jagger thought Blondie had a bad influence on Keith and were not allowed to continue touring with Stones.

I heard that, too. He was let go along with a couple of horn players, though. Perhaps it wasn't saving money so much as finding a way to pay for Mick Taylor and the rotating guest guitarists and vocalists throughout 2012 and 2013. And, of course, Mr. Clifford.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 14, 2018 22:52

Ket
I saw him strumming on stage on some songs but honestly could never hear his guitar in the mix at all.

Oh, like Mick...

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 14, 2018 22:57

mtaylor
OpenG

And Bobby Keyes was a good influence on Keith?!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 14, 2018 23:00

i've mentioned it here before but i saw a show early on ABB where Blondie was the second guitar player after the first few songs. Keith did all the heavy lifting (which was awesome) but Blondie played great. after "Tumbling Dice" solo by Ronnie, i think Mick had them turn him way down & he just ran around doing goofy Ronnie stuff. that solo sounded like Sonic Youth on a bad day. evidently a bit too much fun was had with Motley Crue preshow. things improved 2 nights later. mick scowled at him the whole show. again, it was worth it because i think that might've been the best keith guitar show i ever saw going back to 1978.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 14, 2018 23:06

jlowe
mtaylor
OpenG

B. Keys was partially out of 1973/75/76 tour due to problems and bad influence on Keith. Mick dismissed him.

Date: December 14, 2018 23:14

mtaylor
jlowe
mtaylor
OpenG

B. Keys was partially out of 1973/75/76 tour due to problems and bad influence on Keith. Mick dismissed him.

watch the bobby keyes documentary. great story about how he got thrown out. keith said he would've forgiven him but mick wouldn't have it.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 15, 2018 20:21

And in his autobiography, doesn't Bobby talk about how Keith helped sneak Bobby back in some time later, in spite of Mick's disapproval?

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-15 20:23 by angee.

Date: December 15, 2018 20:26

angee
And in his autobiography, doesn't Bobby talk about how Keith helped sneak Bobby back in some time later, in spite of Mick's disapproval?

yep

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home