Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
New book - The Rolling Stones 50
Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: January 9, 2012 20:50

Several new books are forthcoming in 2012 - including this :

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Mick and Keith pairing up as a team of authors, took me a bit by surprise I must admit.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 12:48 by bv.

Re: The Rolling Stones at 50 - new book by Mick and Keith
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 9, 2012 21:21

Doubt its as simple as that. I mean, if someone were to compile a 'Stones in Their own words' type retrospective of quotes down the years, you could describe the band members as 'authors'.

Its not as if theyve sat down and written a book together.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 9, 2012 21:24

Its hard enough getting Mick and Keith to sit down and write new songs together...Let alone
writting a book together...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 9, 2012 21:28

lots of unresolved issues..

The Glimmers are back for yet another season, stay tuned

Date: January 9, 2012 21:50

Gazza
Doubt its as simple as that. I mean, if someone were to compile a 'Stones in Their own words' type retrospective of quotes down the years, you could describe the band members as 'authors'.

I'm sure you right that they didn't sit down and write the book side by side. But they must have agreed to act as authors to this book (compiled by some ghostrider or ghostcompiler) - and that is kind of a statement too, don't you think (though it might not be heartfelt...).

Posted by: 18thDec1943 ()
Date: January 9, 2012 23:46

In Canada we can be alerted when the book is available here. This is posted at amazon.ca:

<<<Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available.>>>

Date: January 10, 2012 00:00

GetYerAngie
Gazza

I'm sure you right that they didn't sit down and write the book side by side. But they must have agreed to act as authors to this book (compiled by some ghostrider or ghostcompiler) - and that is kind of a statement too, don't you think (though it might not be heartfelt...).

Not really, to be honest.

Even if it is new interviews (let alone something they've written, which is unlikely) its not as if they even have to be in the same continent for it, let alone the same room. This looks like the details havent been finalised yet, no doubt others will be credited as 'authors' too.

There'll be a shitload of officially sanctioned releases in 2012 to tie in with their 50th anniversary. Most of them will be things like this, probably another compilation CD and a career spanning documentary release - all of which will be largely put together by other people with minimal input from the band members themselves.

These things arent unprecedented - some unofficial, some official - and they can claim to be the 'authors' of all of them :

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-10 00:05 by Gazza.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: January 10, 2012 00:13

Mainly Thames & Hudson do art/photo books (including one on Mick) so probably not too exciting.

Re: The Rolling Stones at 50 - forthcoming book by Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ron
Date: February 7, 2012 14:23

I've changed the title of this thread because it looks like Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ron are all involved (well probably not as much as the discribtion claims but never the less):

Product Description
This is the only official book to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the greatest rock and roll band of all time. Never before have the Rolling Stones been so involved in a book of this kind; this intimate portrait is the result of months of collaboration with Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie. Superb reportage photography from Mirrorpix and The Daily Mirror - the largest newspaper archive of Rolling Stones photography - documents all of the albums, gigs and dramas in the bands unique, international history. The stuff of legend, much of this material has never been seen before. Curated by Richard Havers, one of the worlds leading authorities on the Rolling Stones, it is interspersed with specially commissioned photography of the best and rarest items from one of the greatest collections of Stones memorabilia in the world, as well as featuring the work of legendary photographers such as Gered Mankowitz, Ethan Russell, Bent Rej, Ian Wright and Philip Townsend - the appointed photographer for their first ever shoot.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: February 7, 2012 14:33

GetYerAngie
[www.amazon.co.uk]
Mick and Keith pairing up as a team of authors, took me a bit by surprise I must admit.
If you read correctly it's a collaboration which means the author or publisher has phoned the gentlemen individually and may have even met them individually. No word about pairing up. One of those "official" books which we have had enough in the las 50 years moody smiley

Date: February 7, 2012 14:44

"Never before have the Rolling Stones been so involved in a book of this kind; this intimate portrait is the result of months of collaboration with Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie..."

So 'A Life on the Road' and 'According to the Rolling Stones' consisted of quotes that were just made up, then? eye rolling smiley

Date: February 7, 2012 15:00

Grison
GetYerAngie
[www.amazon.co.uk]
If you read correctly it's a collaboration which means the author or publisher has phoned the gentlemen individually and may have even met them individually. No word about pairing up. One of those "official" books which we have had enough in the las 50 years moody smiley

Yes, it probably doesn't differ much from "A life on the road" or "According to" or from the Uncut and Mojo-special issues etc., but we will know in July.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 7, 2012 15:29

Books, tick
Downloads, tick

Some how along with the greatest hits (which will come in a super delux box), documentary DVD and I'm sure a bottle of 50th RS wine that's it for this year.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 7, 2012 16:56

a bottle of 50th RS wine

a hearty blend of six grapes, with a lot of black fruit flavor

Date: February 7, 2012 17:12

Gazza
"Never before have the Rolling Stones been so involved in a book of this kind; this intimate portrait is the result of months of collaboration with Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie..."

So 'A Life on the Road' and 'According to the Rolling Stones' consisted of quotes that were just made up, then? eye rolling smiley

Not to mention all the pictures...

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 7, 2012 20:10

All that "writing". They must be exhausted. At least Keith was there to help.

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: February 7, 2012 20:55

GetYerAngie
I've changed the title of this thread because it looks like Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ron are all involved (well probably not as much as the discribtion claims but never the less):

Product Description
This is the only official book to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the greatest rock and roll band of all time. Never before have the Rolling Stones been so involved in a book of this kind; this intimate portrait is the result of months of collaboration with Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie. Superb reportage photography from Mirrorpix and The Daily Mirror - the largest newspaper archive of Rolling Stones photography - documents all of the albums, gigs and dramas in the bands unique, international history. The stuff of legend, much of this material has never been seen before. Curated by Richard Havers, one of the worlds leading authorities on the Rolling Stones, it is interspersed with specially commissioned photography of the best and rarest items from one of the greatest collections of Stones memorabilia in the world, as well as featuring the work of legendary photographers such as Gered Mankowitz, Ethan Russell, Bent Rej, Ian Wright and Philip Townsend - the appointed photographer for their first ever shoot.

Product description says: Greatest Rock 'N Roll Band Of All Time. Very interesting smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-07 20:59 by thewatchman.

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: February 7, 2012 21:51

GetYerAngie
Grison
GetYerAngie
[www.amazon.co.uk]

Yes, it probably doesn't differ much from "A life on the road" or "According to" or from the Uncut and Mojo-special issues etc., but we will know in July.

You will know a lot more than this come July!smoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 7, 2012 22:14

............... Book store promo-card for up coming Stones 50th anniversary book

ROCKMAN

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: February 7, 2012 22:43

Does anybody need another Stones book?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 7, 2012 22:48

...........there's a blind guy from Birregurra who's not really interested

ROCKMAN

Date: February 7, 2012 23:11

Philip Townsend told me about this a few weeks ago. it is a book mainly with pictures from the Mirrowpix archive, Richard Havers being the archivist.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: February 7, 2012 23:14

Are they really "50" if they don't exist...???...I mean just saying "we're a band" doesn't make it so...

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: February 8, 2012 01:23

dewlover
Are they really "50" if they don't exist...???...I mean just saying "we're a band" doesn't make it so...

I agree with you. The only activity I can imagine is a huge concert in London or NY with many big acts covering Stones songs and the Stones playing two warhorses in the end. Dylan did that 20 years ago.I do not believe that they will return as a working band.

Date: February 8, 2012 02:50

windmelody
dewlover

I agree with you. The only activity I can imagine is a huge concert in London or NY with many big acts covering Stones songs and the Stones playing two warhorses in the end. Dylan did that 20 years ago.I do not believe that they will return as a working band.

What about the years they did nothing or just recorded but didn't release a record until the next year? Not exactly 50 years hardy har har!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 8, 2012 02:53

wow one thing i have noticed about this forum is that people so quick to defuse anything that comes up , including me btw so iam guilty to

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 8, 2012 03:05

paulinestroosnijder
Philip Townsend told me about this a few weeks ago. it is a book mainly with pictures from the Mirrowpix archive, Richard Havers being the archivist.

Mirror pix have loads of great photos, if the book features lots of rare ones it might be worth buying just for those.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: February 20, 2012 19:52

Here's the German Book Store promo, by the way, it says there's plans for a tour!
Available in all bookstors, you will not have to go to Amazon for this!
I will upload the publisher's ad one by one, just wait, please!

Date: February 20, 2012 19:54

Date: February 20, 2012 19:55

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1468
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home