Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Please welcome Seattle to the NHL!
Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: December 4, 2018 20:24

As a huge hockey fan, I wanna say Welcome to all the fans in the Pacific Northwest, with today's awarding of the 32nd NHL franchise to Seattle, beginning play in the 2021-22 season!

I know the excitement from the time my Blue Jackets started in Columbus... Enjoy!!!

Re: Please welcome Seattle to the NHL!
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 4, 2018 20:50

My wife just mentioned that when we where in New Seasons Market - We hope here in Portland to get baseball and hockey someday. We have the Timbers and Trail Blazers
which is not enough professional sports teams as I grew up in NY with many teams to follow

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 4, 2018 20:54

Thanks!
Looking forward to the games, particularly firing up a rivalry with our good neighbors to the north.. the Vancouver Canucks!

Little known fact..
The Seattle Metropolitans were the first american team to win the Stanley Cup in 1917..
Have a cool replica jersey of theirs received for fathers day !

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 4, 2018 21:12

I hope Seattle will pick up some cool Finnish player/s... Since I don't root naturally any team there, I always follow the ones that had some of my favourite Finnish ice hockey player playing there (and they need to be juniors picked up from my local favourite team here in Finland, TPS from Turku). So I was following Montreal Canadiens when Saku Koivu was playing there. Then Minnesota Wild when his brother MIkko Koivu started to shine there. Now it is Colorado Avalanche since a player I have followed since his junior years, Mikko Rantanen, is making a huge breakthrough there, and is, bloody hell, leading the whole damn NHL player statistics in scoring at the moment... 45 points in 27 games...eye popping smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 4, 2018 21:43

One of the proposed names for the team - Seattle Seals - I vote for that

Date: December 5, 2018 00:59

Like the Seals, but voted for the Seattle Totems.
Remember going to games of the now defunct team back as a kid.

Now, bring back our Sonics and all will be well cool smiley

Date: December 5, 2018 01:28

In January, I went out to Vegas for the first visit by the Columbus Blue Jackets, and it was a blast, of course!

Hoping to do the same the first time the CBJ travel to Seattle in the 2021-22 season.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 5, 2018 01:36

OpenG
One of the proposed names for the team - Seattle Seals - I vote for that

Already had California Golden Seals back in the 70's who played in Oakland. I think Metropolitans would be a good name! I really like Thunderbirds, too, which is the WHL teams name. Perhaps even Seattle Starbucks smiling smiley

It would be nice to see Portland get a team, although I hate seeing more teams since it just waters down the talent base. Perhaps eventually they'll move one of the southern teams like Arizona or Florida. Quebec City just built a brand new arena so it would be nice to see a team back there and Toronto can easily support another team, just a matter of territorial rights for the Leafs.

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: December 5, 2018 02:17

YES!!! Water down the league some more.......now there will be 20 more players with no business playing in the NHL

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: December 5, 2018 05:29

TKinOH
In January, I went out to Vegas for the first visit by the Columbus Blue Jackets, and it was a blast, of course!

Hoping to do the same the first time the CBJ travel to Seattle in the 2021-22 season.
California golden seals boy were they bad..lol I remember Bobby Orr skating circles around them.lol

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 5, 2018 09:49

MisterDDDD
Like the Seals, but voted for the Seattle Totems.
Remember going to games of the now defunct team back as a kid.

Now, bring back our Sonics and all will be well cool smiley

me too!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 5, 2018 10:01

Hopefully a nice rivalry between them and the canucks develops.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 5, 2018 10:38

Seattle Seals is a good choice. The Mascot could be a barking Seal squirming around the ice and going ark! ark! to everyone.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 5, 2018 11:11

But what will happen when the Seattle Seals meets the San Jose Sharks then? Will they be eaten for breakfast?
On the other hand they will have an advantage against the Pittsburgh Penguins...

Date: December 5, 2018 11:18

Stoneage
But what will happen when the Seattle Seals meets the San Jose Sharks then? Will they be eaten for breakfast?
On the other hand they will have an advantage against the Pittsburgh Penguins...

Let the Sharks come upon the tundra and face the Barking Seals -then who has the upper hand! Go Seals Go Hawks!!!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 7, 2018 19:14

Stoneage

I've never understood that one, the Pittsburgh Penguins. Although there are other major sports teams with names that have nothing to do with their region (for example, the Detroit Tigers and Lions - ha ha ha ha - a long way from Asia and Africa) the NHL has been quite accurate with its regional representation.

I still don't know what a Blue Jacket is or what a titan has to do with Tennessee.

Date: December 7, 2018 19:18

Blue Jackets are Metropolitan Division leaders, at least for right now!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: December 7, 2018 19:23

They'll never go for it, but the best and most apt name I've heard floated about is the Seattle Freeze.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 7, 2018 19:51

Welcome...from the Canucks, you're new archenemy!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 7, 2018 19:53

Doxa
I hope Seattle will pick up some cool Finnish player/s...

- Doxa

I didn't know there were any cool people from Finland! huh?!

Date: December 7, 2018 19:56

treaclefingers

Here's hoping it lasts longer than our Sonics-Grizzlies rivalry!
(currently Oklahoma and Memphis teams eye rolling smiley )

Date: December 7, 2018 20:05

MisterDDDD
treaclefingers

Here's hoping it lasts longer than our Sonics-Grizzlies rivalry!
(currently Oklahoma and Memphis teams eye rolling smiley )

I never understood the relocation of Sonics. First to mind is Gus Johnson. He was great !!

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: December 7, 2018 20:16

Hockey is the best sport to see live and it’s not even close, but for some reason it doesn’t translate well on tv

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 7, 2018 21:01

I like the Seattle Rain (my own idea)

Seattle will move into the Pacific and Arizona Coyotes will move to the Central Division in the Western Conference.

I'd like to see three or four divisions. There are too many teams for a four division league and it really kills rivalries. I believe the league may revisit the division alignment issue in the very near future with some changes in store.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 7, 2018 21:06

Doxa
I hope Seattle will pick up some cool Finnish player/s... Since I don't root naturally any team there, I always follow the ones that had some of my favourite Finnish ice hockey player playing there (and they need to be juniors picked up from my local favourite team here in Finland, TPS from Turku). So I was following Montreal Canadiens when Saku Koivu was playing there. Then Minnesota Wild when his brother MIkko Koivu started to shine there. Now it is Colorado Avalanche since a player I have followed since his junior years, Mikko Rantanen, is making a huge breakthrough there, and is, bloody hell, leading the whole damn NHL player statistics in scoring at the moment... 45 points in 27 games...eye popping smiley

- Doxa

Rasmus Ristolainen is an awesome defensemen for the Sabres.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 7, 2018 22:11

GasLightStreet
Stoneage

I've never understood that one, the Pittsburgh Penguins. Although there are other major sports teams with names that have nothing to do with their region (for example, the Detroit Tigers and Lions - ha ha ha ha - a long way from Asia and Africa) the NHL has been quite accurate with its regional representation.

I still don't know what a Blue Jacket is or what a titan has to do with Tennessee.

Not sure but I would think the Penguins name comes from where they used to play, the Civic Arena, nicknamed the igloo (even though igloos are in the Arctic and penguins are mainly in the Antarctic)?

Date: December 7, 2018 22:18

treaclefingers
Doxa
I hope Seattle will pick up some cool Finnish player/s...

- Doxa

I didn't know there were any cool people from Finland! huh?!

The best Finnish player in the history of hockey!

Date: December 7, 2018 22:19

DGA35
GasLightStreet
Stoneage

Not sure but I would think the Penguins name comes from where they used to play, the Civic Arena, nicknamed the igloo (even though igloos are in the Arctic and penguins are mainly in the Antarctic)?

Yes, just a tad bit of a geographical discrepancy.

Date: December 7, 2018 22:34

The Sicilian
I like the Seattle Rain (my own idea)

Seattle will move into the Pacific and Arizona Coyotes will move to the Central Division in the Western Conference.

I'd like to see three or four divisions. There are too many teams for a four division league and it really kills rivalries. I believe the league may revisit the division alignment issue in the very near future with some changes in store.

Already have a team with that name..(sorta cool smiley )
Seattle Reign FC (Womens Soccer team).

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: December 7, 2018 23:38

ridiculous. just move phoenix up there. oh that's right bettman made a lousy, greedy deal with glendale and can't back out without looking like a greedy, selfish pig. there aren't even enough good players for 30 teams. this is the kind of sh*t you get when your league commissioner is a no-talent lawyer. hey NHL owners, the only reason bettman got a salary cap in the NBA is because the NBA doesn't test for marijuana.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home