Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Live Licks & SAL Reconsidered
Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 9, 2012 18:16

Spud
liddas
For me, the SAL soundtrack is simply superb. Not one of their best performances, fair enough, but it has lots of soul and it grooves like a bitch. I can easily listen to Ya Ya, Brussells, Texas AND SaL all in a row, and receive from all of them exactly the same satisfaction.

So, at the end of the day, it is only a matter of taste.

Take the guitar sound of SAl (something that has nothing to do with the actual performance), just to make 1 example of how things are so extremely subjective.

The sound of a vintage Gibson through a vintage Twin is what normally thousands of guitarists around the world praise as tonal nirvana.

And, as a matter of fact, if you ask me, I can only confirm that guitar sound can't get any better than what you get on SAL.

Needless to say, many here slaughter even Keith's tone in SAL ...

C

That's pretty much where I am too.
I guess I'm easy to please . I don't feel a strong need to criticise this that and other about this or that live show.
Sure, they're not all brilliant performances...But I just love the SOUND of this band.
Always have., Always will. A Big glorious ball of grooving noise.

Totally agree. And I'm so tired of people coming on here to slaughter Keith if not the whole band. Sure Keith has had some bad nights and flubs, but he and the Stones had mistakes and flubs happen even in their "prime." It's always been part of the appeal of the Stones to fans like me. They're human. They screw up, but when they're on there's no one better. Personally I find nothing to bitch about with Keith's playing on the recent live albums. Yes, he's less flashy than before and his style has evolved into a more spartan economy of licks but it still has soul and FEELING. Even if his playing is more subtle, it's still unmistakable Keith and it still moves me. He's getting more and more like the great old blues guys that inspired him: simple stuff but played with heart and soul. And lest anyone think I'm purely fixated on the most recent output of the Stones....right now I'm listening to Brussells and totally digging it. That was one of the shows where the flubs and mistakes definitely did not happen and it's a smoker for sure! It was a great and different period of the band but I also think there's much to be said for the performance onstage of the more recent periods as well. Nobody does it like the Stones even if they may not be what they were in the seventies, etc.

Date: January 9, 2012 18:20

whitem8
Yeah, I guess I have a different take on the whole decline of the band, the Vegas act, and all the other discussions about The Stones recent stuff. It has been written before, but I often think of The Stones like I thought of Muddy, Howlin, Bo... for instance the album Fathers and Sons. The Stones are who they are now, and I still find it interesting, fun, and rewarding to listen to. Frankly, the nadir of live albums for me, was Still Life. Save for Going to a Go Go and Under My Thumb, it is one of the most depressing representations of the band live I can think of. But I digress. No Security, Live Licks, and SAL all have some fine moments, and on a whole are a cool listening experience. Yes, it is different from Brussels, and yes, they sound like a different band. And they are. They are older, and have different ideas about how to present and perform their music. I still find it thrilling. But it isn't always easy too. Of course there are missfires, and times that it seems a bit contrived. And you know what, I press skip.
No Security has some fantastic moments! The much derided YGMR is a wonderful opening. Hard hitting, with a great propulsive drum that gets Ronnie's slide really working. It is rock and roll! A great version of Gimme Shelter, and Flip the Switch. A great modern day rocker with erie backing vocals. Morbid and some fantastic riffs. I don't know, but I guess I hear a really hard ass opening to a live album! Then Memory Motel is butchered by Dave Matthews. Sad. But you know what? I deleted it and put in another version from that tour with just The Stones. But after that travesty the album barrels through some fantastic performances. Then there is Live Licks. First, to get it out of the way. The travesty, the edit of Rocks Off. Yeah, it sucks, but you know what, if you can just get past it, Rocks Off is fantastic. One of the better live versions I have heard. And most of Live Licks gives me that experience. Some very solid versions with loud guitars. Can't You Hear Me Knocking?? Nice. The version of Beast of Burden, That's How Strong My Love is, Worried About You... Whew! Sounds good to me! And a simply stunning, picture perfect Monkey Man.
And then you have Shine a Light. A lot of folks are frustrated that this film wasn't made 30 years ago. But it would have been a different film, this is a film of a band still touring and playing the music they wrote, and love. And what you get is a very beautifully filmed concert of a band that has weathered rafts of shit, personal tragedies, and life in the lime light, and now they are old men that still get a buzz out of getting on that stage and performing. Bum notes? Yeah. So? Doesn't need to ruin the entire gig. Look old? Yeah, because they are, and it is cool. Contrived? Yes, in parts, but you know, it is the show isn't it?
So, I guess it is the old adage, is the glass half empty or is it half full? I am glad to have choices of live albums from a band I love. So lets hope they do some shows soon! And put out another live album.

Another post I'm in strong agreement with! smileys with beer

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 9, 2012 18:20

Spud
I guess I'm easy to please . I don't feel a strong need to criticise this that and other about this or that live show.

i'm impossible to please and i feel a burning desire to criticize this, that and especially the other about mostly those live shows....

Date: January 9, 2012 18:21

kowalski
stonesdan60

Wow. Another person sees the greatness of these latter day live albums. I'm listening to SAL right now, pumped up LOUD with headphones and I am baffled how anyone can listen to this and not be rocked. Kudos to those who have not become too jaded to appreciate the latter day Rolling Stones! smileys with beer

That's the way I like to listen to it. Just focus on the guitars waving and you'll get an idea of what makes the Stones music so unique...

THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!!!

Date: January 9, 2012 18:21

stonesdan60
I'm so tired of people coming on here to slaughter Keith if not the whole band. Sure Keith has had some bad nights and flubs, but he and the Stones had mistakes and flubs happen even in their "prime."

But those were good screw ups played by 100% competent musicians. Now it's the norm to get what is on SAL. Listen to what's on The Biggest Bang and then SAL and it's too much. And hell I paid for 'em so there you go.

Hail the live reissues from the 1970s!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 9, 2012 18:23

stonesdan60
And I'm so tired of people coming on here to slaughter Keith if not the whole band.

have you tried geritol?

Date: January 9, 2012 18:35

StonesTod
stonesdan60
And I'm so tired of people coming on here to slaughter Keith if not the whole band.

have you tried geritol?

Nah- I get my fix from listening to live Stones music..from all periods of their musical journey! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 9, 2012 19:14

Live Licks and SAL are two very different productions.

On LL almost everything is wrong.

First, it does not represent a concert of the Licks Tour. It is only a mere collection of songs. A set list of a concert is not just a random list of songs. How the songs flow is part of the appeal of a live performance. To put 10 warhorses in a row (some of which were openers, others B stagers, others encores) just does not make sense.

Then, the edits. What disturbs me even more than the Rocks off edit (since I still listen to a lot of LPs, I am used to skips of the needle) is the overdub of a second open G guitar on Knocking. Its like hearing Mick playing the harp and singing at the same time as featured on the Mocambo side of LYL. It is something that never existed. Don't know who had sucha great idea.

Finally, most of the songs had been just released only on a different format. Lazy.

Only pro, the sound - a huge improvement over the DVD version.

SAL is the first step in the right direction. Cut the bonuses away and you have a fair representation of the Beacon set list with - no overdubs (a first!). Had they not included Marty playing the buffoon, the product would be almost perfect.

This is the direction that led to the releases of L&G, Brussells and Texas.

C

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: January 9, 2012 20:17

Best live album..............Get Yer Ya-Yas's Out!
Then .................A Brussels Affair!
Then...................Stripped followed by Some Girls Live In Texas.
After that maybe Love You Live but mostly for side 3.
Then the quality deteriorates from a musicianship and production standpoint. I would then say No Security, followed by SAL and Flashpoint and Live Licks.
One of my least favorite Stones albums follows next, Still Life, which was hugely uninspired and disappointing.
AND LAST AND LEAST.............sucking the hind tit, the worst Stones album of all time............Got Live If You Want It! Just my opinion of course.

Date: January 9, 2012 20:26

liddas
What disturbs me even more than the Rocks off edit is the overdub of a second open G guitar on Knocking.

As you can tell I've not listened to it that much - where is this overdub? Entire song, intro, choruses, etc...?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 9, 2012 20:55

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
liddas
What disturbs me even more than the Rocks off edit is the overdub of a second open G guitar on Knocking.

As you can tell I've not listened to it that much - where is this overdub? Entire song, intro, choruses, etc...?

Almost all 1st part of the song.

C

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 10, 2012 03:33

Live Licks is okay the second disc anyways, I like SAL especially She Was Hot. Its not that bad!

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: August 17, 2020 20:12

Spud
liddas
For me, the SAL soundtrack is simply superb. Not one of their best performances, fair enough, but it has lots of soul and it grooves like a bitch. I can easily listen to Ya Ya, Brussells, Texas AND SaL all in a row, and receive from all of them exactly the same satisfaction.

So, at the end of the day, it is only a matter of taste.

Take the guitar sound of SAl (something that has nothing to do with the actual performance), just to make 1 example of how things are so extremely subjective.

The sound of a vintage Gibson through a vintage Twin is what normally thousands of guitarists around the world praise as tonal nirvana.

And, as a matter of fact, if you ask me, I can only confirm that guitar sound can't get any better than what you get on SAL.

Needless to say, many here slaughter even Keith's tone in SAL ...

C

That's pretty much where I am too.
Sure, they're not all brilliant performances...But I just love the SOUND of this band.
Always have., Always will. A Big glorious ball of grooving noise.

I must be easy to please too or it’s a matter of taste but am currently listening to live licks... and really enjoying it.i have read a lot of the pros and cons.. of these latter live albums... but just really enjoy the sound.. Micks voice very strong on live licks.. some songs are played quite fast.
Overall I wonder why people take the performances apart so much.. this is a fansite after all!!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 18, 2020 10:22

My problem with the 'later works', the 'take a few laps around the world and get obscenely rich' era, is that they lack pizazz and rhythm. I'm sure I didn't notice Bill's playing much when I saw them with him in the 70s and 80s. But you get a recording home of them in concert with Bill, and it's mind blowing how good he sounds.

Conversely, when I've seen them with Darryl, I don't pay much attention to the bass. And when you get a live version home, there's not much there. I expect something to be there, and it isn't.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 18, 2020 10:57

I bought the live licks double CD for one Euro – I think that's what it is worth.

Date: August 18, 2020 11:04

I won't mention the edit in Rocks Off, but editing off a bit of the intro to Brown Sugar is sacrilege.

The funny thing is that I love Four Flicks, but not Live Licks.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 18, 2020 12:40

stonesdan60
liddas
For me, the SAL soundtrack is simply superb. Not one of their best performances, fair enough, but it has lots of soul and it grooves like a bitch. I can easily listen to Ya Ya, Brussells, Texas AND SaL all in a row, and receive from all of them exactly the same satisfaction....

C

Nice to know I'm not the only one....smileys with beer

Here's another one lads! I love the SAL movie (especially up to and including Dice, those 2006-07 late ABB shows were great as the first set always finished with the magical Dice, warhorse section not interesting really), my only concern is (except Keith's performance in Sympathy hehe) is that Scorsese or whoever recorded it nailed the music a semi-tone higher so it's impossible to play guitar along with it. Although I belive it's no problem with the CD, it's just the DVD that seems to pitch. Strange.

Regarding Live Licks I prefer the phenomenal Licks boots, stuff like Stockholm Cirkus (you can hear me singing along all throughout the show smoking smiley) Cleveland and Vredenburg. Or for that part Four Flicks of course!!smileys with beer

Date: August 18, 2020 12:44

Some of you fellow IORRians mention Fort Worth 78 Live In Texas.
I can't fathom the fact that the Handsome Girls box got a much better sound than the official version.

It's so annoying! Why is that?? Anybody knows??

Date: August 18, 2020 13:22

MadMax
I can't fathom the fact that the Handsome Girls box got a much better sound than the official version.

They sound pretty similar to be. At least the vinyl. Haven't really listened to the Texas-CD.

What's even more disturbing, imo, is that the live album starts out with a snippet of Miss You (from the show!) before that lovely introduction. What were ER thinking? grinning smiley

Date: August 18, 2020 13:51

DandelionPowderman
MadMax

They sound pretty similar to be. At least the vinyl. Haven't really listened to the Texas-CD.

What's even more disturbing, imo, is that the live album starts out with a snippet of Miss You (from the show!) before that lovely introduction. What were ER thinking? grinning smiley

Yeah that's a real oddjob Dandy! Well IMHO the HG version's more "dry" sounding whereas LIT 78 got a more "wet" sound. Hard to explain, I just think from a guitar and drum standpoint the HG version is much more interesting to listen to, especially with headphones. Funnily enough I think the DVD sound is great so my problem is the CD. I bet the vinyl sounds great!smileys with beer

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 18, 2020 14:59

SAL has the fantastic duet with Christina Aguilera on Live With Me.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 18, 2020 15:54

stonesdan60
liddas
For me, the SAL soundtrack is simply superb. Not one of their best performances, fair enough, but it has lots of soul and it grooves like a bitch. I can easily listen to Ya Ya, Brussells, Texas AND SaL all in a row, and receive from all of them exactly the same satisfaction....

C

Nice to know I'm not the only one....smileys with beer

Nor you. It’s a record I enjoy a lot. Somehow, and it shouldn’t, it reminds me of Love You Live.

Rod

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 18, 2020 19:21

Might have been really good without Jack White...unfortunately he sort of ruined this performance...

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 18, 2020 19:25

So Shine a Light .... I hear Loving cup on that video - please advise No problems here I hope

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-18 19:38 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 18, 2020 20:16

Ireally like She Was Hot,All Down the Line Some Girls and Just My Imagination from SAL. The rest IMO pales in comparison to other live performances of these songs

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: August 18, 2020 21:49

Bill was so important.

Date: August 18, 2020 22:54

I agree with you 100%. I saw SAL in the theatre and that was enough for me.

Erik_Snow
....those 2 albums, Live Licks and Shine A Light are the only 2 Rolling Stones albums I still don't have, nor do I want to hear them

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 19, 2020 06:20

LIVE LICKS as a single album... a bit better:

Brown Sugar
Street Fighting Man
Paint It Black
Monkey Man
The Nearness Of You
Beast Of Burden
You Don't Have To Mean It
Worried About You

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 19, 2020 18:36

Hairball
Might have been really good without Jack White...unfortunately he sort of ruined this performance...

Yes. That girly voice is just terrible...

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 19, 2020 18:56

Loving Cup should be played by the Stones only without guests.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1600
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home