Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

London Visit
Posted by: ebalm ()
Date: November 21, 2018 16:07

Hi all,
I am tagging along with my wife on her business trip to London in two weeks and will have 4 days or so to explore the city. Any recommendations for Stones related sights to visit while there. Never been to the city before and more interested in exploring the "real" city than the "tourist" city, if you know what I mean. Thanks all!

Re: London Visit
Date: November 21, 2018 16:13

Edith Grove, Hyde Park and Sticky Fingers is a good start. Enjoy!

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 21, 2018 16:15

forget the Stones – go to the British Museum. That's enough for 4 days winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-21 16:15 by slewan.

Posted by: ebalm ()
Date: November 21, 2018 16:21

Is Sticky Fingers still around? Is worth the visit? Or just like a hard rock cafe?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 21, 2018 16:35

Hyde Park is always nice – even in early December

Date: November 21, 2018 16:36

ebalm
Is Sticky Fingers still around? Is worth the visit? Or just like a hard rock cafe?

Yes. here's a virtual tour

Posted by: carouslambra ()
Date: November 21, 2018 16:46

If it's your thing then the Imperial war museaum is pretty awesome .

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: November 21, 2018 16:48

Nothing's more "real" than Dartford - teen mums, betting shops, pound shops and charity shops - your usual British high street. With the Mick/Keef bonus. There's a train, but I prefer the National Express bus from London Victoria.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: November 21, 2018 16:53

Buy the book "roadrunner".

That´s all you need to know regarding Stones related places.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 21, 2018 16:58

Eel Pie Museum is well worth the short trip (20 minutes) from Central London to Twickenham (greater London).

Went there several times when in town for the last tour. Great people and a great little museum documenting the history of nearby
Eel Pie Island where they and many bands played coming up.
Not far from Richmond as well.. great to get a feel for the area they started out in.. This, and Sticky Fingers are both great places to visit. (Sticky Fingers worker very nicely invited me in when I was waiting for them to open for lunch, cool to check it all out while empty)
[www.eelpiemuseum.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-21 17:50 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 21, 2018 21:25

ebalm

Any recommendations for Stones related sights to visit while there.

Stones-related locations: [iorr.org] - just follow the links.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: November 21, 2018 22:06

My wife and I really enjoyed Westminster Abbey, but you can't go wrong with the British Museum. And, while in that neighborhood, check out our favorite pub, the Museum Tavern. Used to be the watering hole of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and Karl Marx.

Ronnie Scott's is a nice club. If the main club is sold out, head to their upstairs club, where you'll find some nice people to have a pint or two with. We saw a great Cuban band there the night we went.

Covent Garden is a nice neighborhood, excellent Indian food, good fish and chips.

All this makes me want to go back!! Safe travels, and cheers!

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: November 21, 2018 22:20

Edith Grove: went there on the day of London 1 this year...an utter waste of time. I expected to find other Stones fans there hanging out as it was a show day, it wasn't the case...it's just a house like any other in the street with zero trace of the Stones. Your time will be better spent on other activities!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 21, 2018 22:31

Back in 2012 I left a pair of black socks in room 448 of
Savoy Hotel …. do ya reckon ya could pick 'em up from lost & found for me ??

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: November 22, 2018 01:06

I agree 100 % with Mongoose's recommendations -- British Museum, Museum Pub, Covent Gardens--
I would also throw in Abbey Road studios, Westminster Abbey, a visit to Trident studios in Soho is fun, Oxford Street, and the Tower of London has always been a favorite !

Date: November 22, 2018 01:19

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 22, 2018 01:21

bob r
I agree 100 % with Mongoose's recommendations -- British Museum, Museum Pub, Covent Gardens--
I would also throw in Abbey Road studios, Westminster Abbey, a visit to Trident studios in Soho is fun, Oxford Street, and the Tower of London has always been a favorite !

thumbs up

And a river cruise up and down the Thames.
And the National Gallery at Trafalgar Square (along w/National Portrait Gallery) - amazing collection of masterpieces.
And the Tate Modern - a massive renovated power station that includes loads of modern and contemporary art.
And the list goes on and on...

Date: November 22, 2018 01:26

Hairball
bob r

thumbs up

And a river cruise up and down the Thames.
And the National Gallery at Trafalgar Square (along w/National Portrait Gallery) - amazing collection of masterpieces.
And the Tate Modern - a massive renovated power station that includes loads of modern and contemporary art.
And the list goes on and on...

ebalm was looking for "stones related sights"
Can't believe how few recommendations this thread has produced.

This isn't "yelp" for chrissakes.... cool smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 22, 2018 01:29

Everything about London is related to the Stones!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1487
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home