Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
how Jagger's persona has changed over the years
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 15, 2018 19:21

I was thinking about Jagger's recent comment, "“I’d like to thank Joyce Smyth so much for keeping us working so hard - I’ve been exhausted for the last few years".

This is a comment that I don't think the Jagger of the 70s or 80s would have made. That Jagger was the ultimate embodiment of a cool, cocky, detached rock star. He would usually be coy and distant in interviews and had this amazing aura of untouchability, even invincibility, about him. A rock star god.

But the Jagger of the last few decades is almost the opposite. He wants to be seen as human, as fallible, as lovable. He is so nice to interviewers. Warm and gentle have replaced cool and cocky in the persona he presents to the public. I guess he got tired of being idolized.

Anyway, I love the newer Mick, but sometimes I miss the Jagger of years ago.

Drew

Re: how Jagger's persona has changed over the years
Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: November 15, 2018 19:56

it’s a joke though right?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 15, 2018 20:00

I'm sure he's joking...admitting he's actually exhausted would be a bridge too far for Mick.

I don't think his interview persona has changed much since the '90s...he's polite, detached, occasionally sarcastic, rarely insightful.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 15, 2018 20:24

Very different since the todger implant. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 15, 2018 20:32

I agree that he has matured over the years. But that happens to us all. It's called life. I don't think he has changed that much in interviews though. One thing I have noticed is that he is often very gentle with female journalists. It doesn't matter if they don't know an iota about the band. Still he is very sensitive about questions concerning politics or his private life. When he gets those questions it's often "one more question and we gotta go". He is always very poised, always in control.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-17 19:02 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 15, 2018 22:25

If you really want to see how Mick and Keith have changed over the years, read this

Old interviews

Date: November 15, 2018 22:51

Elmo Lewis
LOL

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: November 15, 2018 23:52

I think he went through his biggest personality shift in the mid-80's, when he curbed or quit his drinking/drugging. That's also when the rift between him and Keith occurred.

Mick no longer seemed 'one of us', and became more of an image conscious businessman.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 16, 2018 00:17

As has been said over the years there are two Mick Jagger's: The Public and The Private one.
We don't really know what he's like with family, close friends. Which less be honest is what its all about.
The Public Mick is just show biz....certainly in interviews where he has finely tuned his personna. Heck, he's been a public figure for over half a century now, so he knows how to play the part.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 16, 2018 04:17

Natlanta
it’s a joke though right?

It's said in a "joke" way, but indirectly he gives a compliment to Joyce. The only real "change" in Mick is fast experience with life itself. When you're 20, what do you know about life? At 75 there are not so many people around who can make him wiser. So yes, that's the real change. Anyone who takes the media serious, is making a joke of him/herself. I do sometimes grinning smiley

Date: November 16, 2018 09:55

Has it really changed? He is a bit more guarded in interviews nowadays, but apart from that he's remarkably similar to who he was as a youngster (for an old man), imo smiling smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 16, 2018 11:08

jlowe
As has been said over the years there are two Mick Jagger's: The Public and The Private one.
We don't really know what he's like with family, close friends. Which less be honest is what its all about.
The Public Mick is just show biz....certainly in interviews where he has finely tuned his personna. Heck, he's been a public figure for over half a century now, so he knows how to play the part.

I seem to remember somewhat obscured this interview with Mick from one concert film. There he conveyed an impression of an awareness of his that the adoration of fans was not of him as person, but of him as a role model. I am inclined to think that this is a consciousness obtained by him during some kind of therapy that may have been mentally vital for him as person at one stage in time. Somehow since then he goes in and out of his role as “rock star”, which still may be one of his persona, still not the total of him. But don’t reduce this “rock star” into an image of a cynical show biz personality exclusively, it will certainly be much more composite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-16 11:11 by Witness.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: November 16, 2018 11:18

Keith once described Mick something like "a lovely bunch of blokes". drinking smiley

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 16, 2018 11:27

I'd only start panicking if I met
a woman who was described as a nice bunch of blokes …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: November 16, 2018 12:47

Mick is a great example of a man who has learn't his life lessons, a very clever man in that respect, who has learnt that discipline and control is the only way to extend his career, Mick is exactly what Mick needs to be to go on surviving in this industry, but alas the things that drive him come at a price, creativity has taken a back seat as a result of discipline and control.

Keith and Ronnie have taken this kind of kill them with kindness approach to the media, and that works for them, whereas Mick is comfortable with taking a more guarded approach.
Also Mick had to change, he and Keith were virtually broke at the beginning of the 70's after all the success they had, and again at the end of the 70's they found themselves with very little financially as a result of all the success they had in the 70's.
Since then, Mick's won't get fooled again stance is working very well, so who can blame Mick for changing, he's a winner, but some of those life lessons have changed him and i think he's been scarred by life and it shows, he has obsessive behavior in some aspects of his life and it's understandable i suppose. He has obsessions with youth, money, women etc, do they make for a happy contented Mick, who knows, these are his choices, but the old Mick is still in there somewhere, every so often he looks so happy onstage, almost euphoric and we get these little glimpses, then he realizes he is giving too much away and its on with the program, on with the business, but he's still Mick.
I do miss that vulnerable side to him though, looking at old footage he sometimes came across as naive and innocent, just in love with the music and life, he and Keith had this supporting relationship, i actually think a lot of the changes in Mick are as a result of the breakdown in he and Keith's closeness as friends and as creative partners. Without Keith by his side supporting him Mick has had to take care of himself, he's had to harden up, and for want of a better word, he's had to man up. Maybe Mick takes this too far, this is just my opinion, it's probably the view of the very few, but its my view. I think Mick drew strength from Keith, and its a point that no one has hit on so far in this forum. Equally we can say the same of Keith, when Mick married Bianca and he lost his friend and writing muse Keith sank deeper into addiction, who knows, had Mick never slept with Anita things might have worked out differently.

Date: November 16, 2018 13:19

ROLLINGSTONE
Keith once described Mick something like "a lovely bunch of blokes". drinking smiley

It was originally a Bill-quote, wasn't it?

Date: November 16, 2018 13:20

DandelionPowderman
ROLLINGSTONE

It was originally a Bill-quote, wasn't it?

Yes

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 16, 2018 16:06

He seems older now.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 16, 2018 16:48

keithsman
Mick is a great example of a man who has learn't his life lessons, a very clever man in that respect, who has learnt that discipline and control is the only way to extend his career, Mick is exactly what Mick needs to be to go on surviving in this industry, but alas the things that drive him come at a price, creativity has taken a back seat as a result of discipline and control.

Keith and Ronnie have taken this kind of kill them with kindness approach to the media, and that works for them, whereas Mick is comfortable with taking a more guarded approach.
Also Mick had to change, he and Keith were virtually broke at the beginning of the 70's after all the success they had, and again at the end of the 70's they found themselves with very little financially as a result of all the success they had in the 70's.
Since then, Mick's won't get fooled again stance is working very well, so who can blame Mick for changing, he's a winner, but some of those life lessons have changed him and i think he's been scarred by life and it shows, he has obsessive behavior in some aspects of his life and it's understandable i suppose. He has obsessions with youth, money, women etc, do they make for a happy contented Mick, who knows, these are his choices, but the old Mick is still in there somewhere, every so often he looks so happy onstage, almost euphoric and we get these little glimpses, then he realizes he is giving too much away and its on with the program, on with the business, but he's still Mick.
I do miss that vulnerable side to him though, looking at old footage he sometimes came across as naive and innocent, just in love with the music and life, he and Keith had this supporting relationship, i actually think a lot of the changes in Mick are as a result of the breakdown in he and Keith's closeness as friends and as creative partners. Without Keith by his side supporting him Mick has had to take care of himself, he's had to harden up, and for want of a better word, he's had to man up. Maybe Mick takes this too far, this is just my opinion, it's probably the view of the very few, but its my view. I think Mick drew strength from Keith, and its a point that no one has hit on so far in this forum. Equally we can say the same of Keith, when Mick married Bianca and he lost his friend and writing muse Keith sank deeper into addiction, who knows, had Mick never slept with Anita things might have worked out differently.

Agreed...BUT
1. Why were they in not good shape, financially by the end of the 70s? They had secured good record deals, continued to tour, received an ABKCO pay off, limited their tax liabilities and so on.
2.I think the Mick/Anita thing is blown up out of all proportion. By all accounts Mick 'slept'with all (except Shirley) the groups partners. And Keith was hardly monogamous at that moment in their lives. He and Anita had a pretty open relationship, by all accounts, which clearly suited them!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 16, 2018 19:11

Elmo Lewis

grinning smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 16, 2018 20:37

keithsman

I don't know anything certain about it, but I would guess that if what I surmised about Mick (not so much) from his sayings in a few interviews may be correct to some degree, it has not been something that he deliberately sought to succeed careerwise, but on the contrary with respect to his personal self. And I saw in another interview, what apparently may seem paradoxical, that his opinion shall be that one ought not to be too serious about one's life, but be more relaxed on that score, for instance as his advice towards his children.

Maybe we all ought not to think that we understand too well what kind of person he is. He appears as a many-layered personality and not exclusively and instrumentally in every respect (even if probably in some respects) seeking to be a masterful man with a successful career.

Date: November 17, 2018 00:43

jlowe
Agreed...BUT
1. Why were they in not good shape, financially by the end of the 70s? They had secured good record deals, continued to tour, received an ABKCO pay off, limited their tax liabilities and so on.
2.I think the Mick/Anita thing is blown up out of all proportion. By all accounts Mick 'slept'with all (except Shirley) the groups partners. And Keith was hardly monogamous at that moment in their lives. He and Anita had a pretty open relationship, by all accounts, which clearly suited them!

Keithsman
Why indeed, but we have to take their word for it , they were broke at the end of the 60's and so became tax exiles , and that's how the story goes, and that's how legend has it.

Yeah i agree , Keith might not have been too devastated with Anita sleeping with Mick, i get the impression that Keith was more disappointed in Mick due to his marriage to Bianca, but is Keith really going to admit he felt let down by his friend after he slept with Anita ? No Keith's a proud man, that's not going to happen, but it could have served as a deal breaker in their relationship, it's like Ok Mick, the cloves are off from now on.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 17, 2018 08:04

I think there were three key things that shaped Mick's adult personality:

1. The way they were villified, set up, and harassed by the police, the press and the government.

2. His association with the aristocrats from about 1966

3. Getting ripped off by Allen Klein.

Mick said in an interview decades later that he sometimes wakes up at 3 am writhing in humiliation at how they lost their entire historical legacy.

He was always ambitious. His brother said that his main recollection of Mick was that he was always studying. His father pushed him pretty hard.

He was a funny-looking kid and didn't have early success with girls. But when he became famous at an early age in the environment of sexual freedom of the 1960s, women became freely available to him, and he lost respect for them. This has continued to the present day.

On how Mick has survived and thrived with lifelong fame, his brother said that the difference between Mick and other rock stars who succumbed to drugs or lost their fortune was that Mick always knew how he was going to handle fame. Keith, on the other hand, has said numerous times that he became a junkie for over a decade to cocoon himself from the loss of privacy that fame caused.

Apart from his continuing sex addiction, Mick is actually very loyal. He never fell out with his parents or his brother. He has lifelong friends. He has said that the main source of his happiness is his family. The only time any of his children have ever spoken out against him was long ago, Jade said that Mick and Bianca were very much involved with their own lives, and she felt neglected.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 17, 2018 09:44

I think Mick can still be a cynical guy; listen to the sarcastic way he concludes As Tears Go By on Shine A Light. He still has a bit of bite about him, and more power to him for doing so.

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: November 17, 2018 12:38

keithsman

Why indeed, but we have to take their word for it , they were broke at the end of the 60's and so became tax exiles , and that's how the story goes, and that's how legend has it.

I would love to be as broke as Keith was as a tax exile. Living a careless life in the south of France in one of the biggest mansions available and driving a Bentley and a Maserati.

Date: November 17, 2018 13:55

Hansman
keithsman

I would love to be as broke as Keith was as a tax exile. Living a careless life in the south of France in one of the biggest mansions available and driving a Bentley and a Maserati.

Yeah i could do with being that broke, sounds like a plan winking smiley

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 17, 2018 15:46

Looking at how young the 60's rockers (Jagger, Dylan, McCartney, Townshend, etc.) were when their careers began makes me think of the title of a Lou Reed album:

Growing Up in Public.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 17, 2018 16:16

Persona: the aspect of someone's character that is presented to or perceived by others.

To me, it’s the same.

However, trying to get beyond what is ‘presented’
persona non grata.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 17, 2018 16:21

I think...there are a couple of things that have shaped Jagger more recently....his children becoming adults ( I think this has censored him in a way)....his relationship w/ L'Wren (and everything that happened from that), and Keith's Memoir Life....

Date: November 17, 2018 16:41

keithsman

Most excellent thoughts and essay, Keithsman.

Haha..it sounds like a teacher's grade; is not meant like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-17 16:42 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1981
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home