Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

R.I.P. Stan Lee
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: November 12, 2018 21:09

OT - Various reports that Stan Lee has died - rumor, yet again?

Hope this is not true.

Stan Lee, the man responsible for much of the Marvel Universe, has died ... Stan's daughter tells TMZ.

We're told an ambulance rushed to Lee's Hollywood Hills home early Monday morning and he was rushed to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. We're told that's where he died.

[www.tmz.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-12 21:34 by bv.

Re: OT - Various reports that Stan Lee has died - rumor, yet again?
Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: November 12, 2018 21:14

Re: OT - Various reports that Stan Lee has died - rumor, yet again?
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 12, 2018 21:27

RIP

Re: R.I.P. Stan Lee
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 12, 2018 21:42

After his wife passed away, he spent the last couple of years of his life being financially exploited by his handlers and subjected to elder abuse by his daughter.

It's certainly not unexpected (he was 95) but it still makes me sad. I'm a huge MCU fan. RIP.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: November 12, 2018 21:51

Part of my childhood gone. Thanks for everything Mr.Lee.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 12, 2018 22:59

Let's hear it for Stan (The Man) Lee.

Some years back I went to a screening of the first Spider-Man movie in Hollywood where Stan did a Q & A.

I walked right by him before the film ran, and would have loved to have said a few words of appreciation (or gotten a photo with him!) but he was busy talking with someone else.

During the film he sat in the row behind me, and as the end credits rolled I looked at the long list of names and thought about all the people that were employed for this, all because of something that came out of this man's head!

There's a school of thought that Stan took advantage of his artists--Steve Ditko of Spider-Man/Dr. Strange fame, and especially Jack Kirby, who co-created Captain America with Joe Simon in the 40's, and came back to Marvel in the '60's and co-created the rest of the Marvel universe with Stan.

Lee would often hog credit--and he took a lot of crap from comic fans for doing so-- but in later years he would give Jack and Steve their due.

If you grew up when Lee was still an active writer and editor, you know that he was the Mastermind that pulled all the threads of the Marvel Universe together.

And he had a way that making young fans feel like we were a part of it too.

Excelsior!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-12 23:01 by loog droog.

Date: November 12, 2018 23:04

loog droog
Let's hear it for Stan (The Man) Lee.

Some years back I went to a screening of the first Spider-Man movie in Hollywood where Stan did a Q & A.

I walked right by him before the film ran, and would have loved to have said a few words of appreciation (or gotten a photo with him!) but he was busy talking with someone else.

During the film he sat in the row behind me, and as the end credits rolled I looked at the long list of names and thought about all the people that were employed for this, all because of something that came out of this man's head!

There's a school of thought that Stan took advantage of his artists--Steve Ditko of Spider-Man/Dr. Strange fame, and especially Jack Kirby, who co-created Captain America with Joe Simon in the 40's, and came back to Marvel in the '60's and co-created the rest of the Marvel universe with Stan.

Lee would often hog credit--and he took a lot of crap from comic fans for doing so-- but in later years he would give Jack and Steve their due.

If you grew up when Lee was still an active writer and editor, you know that he was the Mastermind that pulled all the threads of the Marvel Universe together.

And he had a way that making young fans feel like we were a part of it too.

Excelsior!
I don't think Stan was malicious when it came to taking credit (Bob Kane taking credit for Batman is different altogether), but he definitely enjoyed the limelight and telling tall tales about who did what, or exaggerating his role.

He gave Kirby and Ditko more credit as he got older (maybe out of guilt?)...it's just a shame that Kirby died so young and they never resolved things...and Ditko was a reclusive Ayn Rand acolyte who wanted nothing to do with the fame or publicity that came from the movies.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 13, 2018 00:04

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-13 00:34 by Stoneage.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 13, 2018 00:34

I remember people making fun of comic books when I was reading them in the 1960s. I know my father did. What those idiots never realized is how much we were improving our reading skills. We were introduced to words and scientific concepts far beyond what non-readers were learning.

The movies are great on all levels. Much better than what D.C. usually comes up with. Grown ups love them for the special effects, the humor, and the bit of nostalgia. Of course people who grew up without reading Marvel comics when they were growing up love them too. These movies are not supposed to be complete downers like Ingmar Bergman, or heavy like Ibsen. They are entertainment, with the characters having real world problems.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 13, 2018 00:45

I do not agree with you there, 24FPS. Superhero stories are for kids. Nothing wrong with that. There are books for kids with artistic value that grown ups can appreciate also.
Not stories about superheroes in leotards though. I agree with you that cartoons were useful to kids reading skills. Of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-13 01:18 by Stoneage.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 13, 2018 00:46

Great comics artist... RIP Stan Lee

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 13, 2018 00:48

"Characters with real world problems"

That is the funniest thing I've ever heard. They're literally superheroes. But, oh boy, they're actually just like us.

RIP Stan. I appreciate comics for what they are. Never really mythologized them. Superheroes movies are fun. They are also extremely formulaic. Its just a formula that works.

Date: November 13, 2018 01:14

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: November 13, 2018 04:19

When the men in tights were in their civvies, they had real-world problems. And their superhero alter-egos solved the real world's problems. Adults who read comic books are no different than adults who are into sci-fi.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: November 13, 2018 05:06

Let’s hear it for Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko instead.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 13, 2018 09:04

donvis

I met Jack in Thousand Oaks, CA, where he lived, not too long before he passed. What a giant of cartooning. I thoroughly enjoyed the first hundred issues of Fantastic Four. (Which were all done by Kirby). Ditko had an incredible style. I want to go back and read some of his work on Doctor Strange.

And don't forget Bill Everett. He not only created the first anti-hero, The Sub Mariner, during the Golden Age, but also drew the first issue of Daredevil in 1964.

If there was a Mount Rushmore for comic book artists, it would Kirby, be Joe Shuster (Superman), Bill Everett, and Jack Cole (Plastic Man).

And I don't care who considers them childish. I still listen to the teeny bopper pop group The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 13, 2018 13:38

Without Stan Lee, no Frank Miller, who drew Daredevil in the early 80s, and then went on to do The Dark Knight Rises, and The Killing Joke.

I loved the Marvel comics from the 1970s era, with powerful storylines i.e the Death of Gwen Stacey, and even liked one from the 90s wherein Spidey battles a feral Lizard, under the control of Kraven The Hunter, and then, for a brief period, Kraven becomes Spidey (Title forgotten on my part).

I also liked that era wherein Marvel adopted Dracula, created Blade, and Man Wolf, in the 70s.

Date: November 13, 2018 15:06

tomcasagranda
Without Stan Lee, no Frank Miller, who drew Daredevil in the early 80s, and then went on to do The Dark Knight Rises, and The Killing Joke.

I loved the Marvel comics from the 1970s era, with powerful storylines i.e the Death of Gwen Stacey, and even liked one from the 90s wherein Spidey battles a feral Lizard, under the control of Kraven The Hunter, and then, for a brief period, Kraven becomes Spidey (Title forgotten on my part).

I also liked that era wherein Marvel adopted Dracula, created Blade, and Man Wolf, in the 70s.
Not to be super-picky, but Miller wrote The Dark Knight RETURNS ('Rises' was the Christopher Nolan movie from 2012), and Alan Moore wrote The Killing Joke.

Both excellent, grim books btw.

Date: November 13, 2018 17:37

donvis

I don't think it's an either/or situation.

True, Jack and Steve did a lot of the heavy lifting by plotting (in Jack's case, uncredited) the books they did with Lee.

While both guys were bitter with Stan's tendency to hog the spotlight, before Lee passed he set the record straight and gave both men their due.

Comic book fans never let go of wanting to find heroes and villains. I've been reading the Jack Kirby Collector magazine for 20 years, (and note to 24FPS, you should check out the book-size issue #58 called Lee & Kirby: The Wonder Years which covers their work on Fantastic Four) and they went through a phase of Lee being Jack's nemesis (along with Carmine Infantino for canceling his Fourth World books at DC, and Vince Colletta--who took shortcuts to make deadlines by erasing backgrounds while inking Jack's work--I'm sure never imagining that it would make him an infamous figure 50 years later.) It's not a matter of good guys and bad guys. They were people who worked together, sometimes had conflicts, but in the end created some really great things.

Like Mick and Keith.

Stan was the Man for a lot of reasons, but I especially love him for this:
[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Lee & Kirby get a mention in this Ian McLagan song:
[www.youtube.com]

'Nuff Said!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-13 18:03 by loog droog.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1175
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home