Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Amsterdam: Any Stones Musts/History
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: November 10, 2018 13:20

During a midlife crisis, I skipped the States. Bought a one way ticket to Amsterdam. I've been here for almost 2 weeks.

So anything Stones to check in the beautiful city?

After another week, I'm thinking about hopping a train to maybe Munich, or...? Any suggestions? The more Stones related the better.

Thanks!

Re: Amsterdam: Any Stones Musts/History
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: November 10, 2018 13:38

If you have time, the Stones Fan Museum in Luchow, Northern Germany is a decent shout. Owned and run by legendary Stones fan Ulli Schroeder. He’s not hard to spot at gigs! I’ve met Uli a couple of times before shows and he always gives out flyers for his museum,most recently before London Stadium Show 2 this year.

I believe it’s quite awkward to reach by public transport so You’ll probably have to hire a car to get there.

[stonesfanmuseum.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-10 14:12 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 10, 2018 13:56

MingSubu
During a midlife crisis, I skipped the States. Bought a one way ticket to Amsterdam. I've been here for almost 2 weeks.

So anything Stones to check in the beautiful city?

After another week, I'm thinking about hopping a train to maybe Munich, or...? Any suggestions? The more Stones related the better.

Thanks!

The Red Light District my friend, the Red Lights. For the rest, no. I live 20 minutes from amsterdam, but dont care much for this city.
Jeroen

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 10, 2018 14:52

Check out the Paradiso for concerts, all greats performed there including The Stones, the Paradiso is near Leidseplein and close by is the American Hotel where The Stones stayed in the Seventies, Melkweg is around the corner and the Amstel hotel is worth a trip, Stones related.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 10, 2018 15:01

Their office is somewhere in Amsterdam.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: November 10, 2018 15:46

[www.tripadvisor.co.uk]

Rockarchive Amsterdam is quite fun for stones related photos

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: November 10, 2018 15:48

Koen

[www.google.nl]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 10, 2018 19:56

That's funny, all the times I walked down Herengracht and never knew it.

Date: November 10, 2018 23:21

Koen

Yup, not only a garage band, but also a postbox band.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: November 11, 2018 12:25

"Stones Fan Museum in Luchow, Northern Germany"

Seems to be closed from November 1st (2018) till next Eastern (2019).

By car 6 hours, by train 8 hours.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 11, 2018 14:09

TheflyingDutchman
Koen

Yup, not only a garage band, but also a postbox band.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

That’s hilarious. grinning smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 11, 2018 18:48

runaway
Check out the Paradiso for concerts, all greats performed there including The Stones, the Paradiso is near Leidseplein and close by is the American Hotel where The Stones stayed in the Seventies, Melkweg is around the corner and the Amstel hotel is worth a trip, Stones related.

I've stayed at the American Hotel several times - a real beauty - with a private balcony room overlooking the canal. Last time I was there Patti Smith was right down the hall from me, and we shared the elevator several times - she was very cool! I've also seen many shows at both the Paradiso and Melkweg. Steve Winwood, Burning Spear, Jimmy Cliff, George Clinton, and Culture among several others. Some of my most memorable holidays have been within that small area (and really Amsterdam and the Netherlands as a whole), and look forward to returning soon.

Date: November 11, 2018 20:30

Hairball
runaway

I've stayed at the American Hotel several times - a real beauty - with a private balcony room overlooking the canal. Last time I was there Patti Smith was right down the hall from me, and we shared the elevator several times - she was very cool! I've also seen many shows at both the Paradiso and Melkweg. Steve Winwood, Burning Spear, Jimmy Cliff, George Clinton, and Culture among several others. Some of my most memorable holidays have been within that small area (and really Amsterdam and the Netherlands as a whole), and look forward to returning soon.

Great to hear your Patti Smith story, I’ve seen Patti Smith several times in the Paradiso and once in the Van Gogh Museum, a semi acoustic set and the entrance was the same for the Museum. The Paradiso is my favourite club in the Netherlands and I attended another show last week, bands covering Velvet and Lou Reed songs and publication of the book: De Vele Levens van Andy Warhol by Typex-Dutch Comic Artist! Over the years many bands stayed in the Americain and there’s a Stones press vid on youtube I think! I had my own show there showing Rock Portraits some years ago.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: November 11, 2018 21:53

This must be the only veteran band where old fans are replaced by younger fans when older fans loose interest.

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: November 11, 2018 22:58

I might chip in that the record store across from the Paradiso is great. Jan and his gang run a great store and the selection there is incredible. Mostly not to expensive either.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: November 12, 2018 09:54

The record store across from the paradiso, do they carry stones records?

Went to Haarlem for the weekend. I'll be heading back to Amsterdam tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks everyone and keep comments coming.

Date: November 12, 2018 11:16

MingSubu
The record store across from the paradiso, do they carry stones records?

Went to Haarlem for the weekend. I'll be heading back to Amsterdam tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks everyone and keep comments coming.

You could check out Sounds Grote Houtstraat 171 in Haarlem for Stones vinyls and cd’s and Concerto Utrechtsestraat 52-60 in Amsterdam.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 12, 2018 18:56

Yes, do visit Jan at the Record Palace across the street from The Paradiso. He's a nice guy and always a pleasure to talk to. He's also knowledgeable about The Stones and of course Amsterdam. Have fun!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 12, 2018 20:12

frankotero
That's funny, all the times I walked down Herengracht and never knew it.

ALL The Stones offices, past and present appear to have been very low key.
Very wise.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1723
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home