Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Roy Orbison Jr: Rolling Stones Wrote No Songs. They Had 1 Good Song & They Didn't Write That
Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: October 21, 2018 23:43

Roy Orbison jr. Seems to have an issue with the stones.

[www.ultimate-guitar.com]

He walked back a little here:

[mobile.twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-21 23:46 by keithglimmer.

Re: Roy Orbison Jr: Rolling Stones Wrote No Songs. They Had 1 Good Song & They Didn't Write That
Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: October 21, 2018 23:49

Strange

Re: Roy Orbison Jr: Rolling Stones Wrote No Songs. They Had 1 Good Song & They Didn't Write That
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 21, 2018 23:49

Sorry to see the man is so.. troubled.
Drugs, I suspect.cool smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 21, 2018 23:56

Roy Orbison's 1959 hit Uptown spilt over inta Mr Dylan's Rainy Day Women ...

ROCKMAN

Date: October 21, 2018 23:56

ROCKMAN

Date: October 22, 2018 00:01

It is a little confusing , what he says.

"Rolling Stones, they... they wrote no songs. This is funny for people. 'They're the greatest songwriters.' Yeah, but from what I'm talking about, up to today, they wrote no songs.

They had a couple of Chuck Berry covers, they had some Buddy Holly covers, they had 'Under My Thumb'... They had one good song, 'Time is On My Side,' and they didn't write that."

I think they wrote a couple of other songs didn't they?

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 22, 2018 00:11

so who wrote the stones songs then.

did the magic pen do it all by itself.

what a strange man, he seems confused.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 22, 2018 00:24

Well, pretty much everything is derivative. There are elements of other songs in all songs. But, I think he is looking solely through the lens of "Pretty Woman". He is way off.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 22, 2018 00:33

"Even the bridge (on Satisfaction)is very similar, pretty much 'Pretty woman walking down the street, Pretty woman, the kind I like to meet.'
'I can't get no Satisfaction, I can't get no girl reaction.' You gotta do a little homework, but it's there"

Do a little homework?

No, you just have to be a moron!

Date: October 22, 2018 00:39

Never post while drunk..

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 22, 2018 01:19

Whether he was misquoted or not, Roy Orbison's son should shut the @#$%& up. He's already doing his father a disservice by whoring him out to hologram. No need to then sound even stupider shitting on the Rolling Stones, which I believe even misquoted he probably did, and is something Roy would never dream of doing. Hey Jr, shut the @#$%& up.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 22, 2018 05:29

If any of that were even remotely true, good for The Stones.
That's what writers do. Ask bob dill for one man's opinion with some fairly
ambitious writing achievements, uh....
...then again it's way cracked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-26 07:35 by hopkins.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 22, 2018 05:44

Only The Lonely could write something that absurd.

Date: October 22, 2018 05:47

….imagine a romantic death with In Dreams playin' over and over on repeat ….

In dreams I walk with you, in dreams I talk to you
In dreams you're mine, all of the time
We're together in dreams, in dreams

ROCKMAN

Re: Roy Orbison Jr
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 22, 2018 05:58

Ultimate Guitar could/should have given some context by noting Orbison Jr. was speaking of the Stones prior to their 1965 Oceania tour with Orbison Sr.

And while writer "jomatami" cited the Appetite For Distortion podcast, he didn't provide a link to it. > [soundcloud.com]

Date: October 22, 2018 05:58

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 22, 2018 06:02

Date: October 22, 2018 06:12

My hero Roy Orbison

Roy Orbison! What a beacon in the southernmost gloom. The amazing Roy Orbison. He was one of those Texan guys who could sail through anything, including his whole tragic life. His kids die in a fire, his wife dies in a car crash, nothing in his private life went right for the big O, but I can’t think of a gentler gentleman, or a more stoic personality. That incredible talent for blowing himself up from 5ft 6in to 6ft 9in, which he seemed to be able to do on stage. It was amazing to witness. He’s been in the sun, looking like a lobster, pair of shorts on. And we’re just sitting around playing guitars, having a chat, smoke and a drink. “Well, I’m on in five minutes.” We watch the opening number. And out walks this totally transformed thing that seems to have grown at least a foot with presence and command over the crowd. He was in his shorts just now; how did he do that? It’s one of those astounding things about working in the theatre. Backstage you can be a bunch of bums. And “Ladies and gentlemen” or “I present to you,” and you’re somebody else.

© Keith Richards 2010. Extracted from Life by Keith Richards with James Fox

ROCKMAN

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: October 22, 2018 06:28

Rockman
….imagine a romantic death with In Dreams playin' over and over on repeat ….

In dreams I walk with you, in dreams I talk to you
In dreams you're mine, all of the time
We're together in dreams, in dreams

That song is used to great effect in David Lynch's "Blue Velvet." There was an MTV video of the song that used scenes from the film.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 22, 2018 06:41

Little Man can't stand on his own away from Daddy's shadow. Needs to flog Daddy through a hologram tour. As a drunk in San Francisco once said, "Shut up, little man!"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-22 13:31 by ab.

Date: October 22, 2018 07:01

song is used to great effect in David Lynch's "Blue Velvet."

Yes indeed it is marrianna ….. frighteningly so …..

ROCKMAN

Date: October 22, 2018 13:47

Rockman

KD Lang?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 22, 2018 14:00

I recall Charlie Watts saying that the beat of "Satisfaction" was based on "Pretty Woman".

I see Roy Orbision Jr. having some point in discovering something of "Pretty Woman" in those three songs ("Satisfaction", "Day Tripper", "Sweet Child of Mine"), but why it was necessary to belittle, even bash the Stones so strongly (unlike, say, Lennon or Slash)? That surely makes the headlines (our Keef knows that as well), but I think here that makes his otherwise insightful and interesting remarks to sound biased.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-22 14:01 by Doxa.

Date: October 22, 2018 14:34

Palace Revolution 2000
Rockman

KD Lang?

In Elvis' jacket?

[www.fanpop.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-22 14:35 by keithglimmer.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 22, 2018 14:49

MisterDDDD
Drugs, I suspect.

Nope his life was just a string of tragedies... Keef has noticed this in a 1990's interview. LIke "man, the man went thru so much, and he looked so solid and solemn".

Date: October 22, 2018 15:06

dcba
MisterDDDD
Drugs, I suspect.

Nope his life was just a string of tragedies... Keef has noticed this in a 1990's interview. LIke "man, the man went thru so much, and he looked so solid and solemn".

He said that about Roy's son in the 90s? confused smiley

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: October 22, 2018 15:22

Yeah right, all roads lead to Rome, all songs lead to Pretty Woman.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-22 15:23 by desertblues68.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 22, 2018 17:11

desertblues68
Yeah right, all roads lead to Rome, all songs lead to Pretty Woman.....[/quote

If I was him Ik sue them all the beatles and the Stones hot smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 22, 2018 18:44

Full of blah blah blah.take another shot..
Jeroen

Re: Roy Orbison Jr
Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: October 22, 2018 19:34

bye bye johnny
Ultimate Guitar could/should have given some context by noting Orbison Jr. was speaking of the Stones prior to their 1965 Oceania tour with Orbison Sr.
Yes I think that's what he meant. The Stones were essentially a cover band in the early days. But of course we all see the headline and assume he's saying the Stones never wrote a song ever in their career and therefore he's off his rocker.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2080
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home