Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

dVDs live at the max--voodou lounge--Bridges to babylon---Four Flicks---Biggest bang shine a light-stones in exile--Some girls live in texas-
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: January 3, 2012 23:31

..or you prefer others? i will go for four flicks and "Max"!

Re: dVDs live at the max--voodou lounge--Bridges to babylon---Four Flicks---Biggest bang shine a light-stones in exile--Some girls live in texas-
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 3, 2012 23:37

"Gimme Shelter","Ladies and Gentlemen..." and "Live In Texas" are the best whereas "Live At The Max" is a
complete desaster.

Re: dVDs live at the max--voodou lounge--Bridges to babylon---Four Flicks---Biggest bang shine a light-stones in exile--Some girls live in texas-
Date: January 3, 2012 23:37

Four Flicks is outstanding.

Live In Texas is fantastic.

The rest, eh, I dunno. I always liked Bridges To Babylon. At The Max is only good for the over-the-top production and the screw ups with how they overdubbed and the horrible posing/acting going on.

Well, the intro and Start Me Up are killer.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 3, 2012 23:42

That's a lot of DVD's you mention in the title

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: January 3, 2012 23:43

The Biggest Bang sucks. It's simply terrible.

Shine A Light is boring.

What about Ladies & Gentlemen? It's good.

I only had Voodoo Lounge on VHS, never did see the DVD. That was a fun show to watch.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: January 3, 2012 23:47

The stuff from the Ya-Ya's box and Gimme Shelter is awesome...a full dvd from '69 would surely beat all.

Date: January 3, 2012 23:49

Rolling Hansie
That's a lot of DVD's you mention in the title

Not mentioning Gimme Shelter,Ladies and Gentlemen and Let´s Spend The Night Together....

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: January 3, 2012 23:50

MAX - at an IMAX theater, viewed the way it should be viewed and heard.

It was a thrill to see this when it first arrived at the IMAX theaters and I would gladly go see it again a few more times in this format.

Date: January 3, 2012 23:53

uhbuhgullayew

It was a thrill to see this when it first arrived at the IMAX theaters and I would gladly go see it again a few more times in this format.

I doubt I will enjoy it again regardless in which format.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 4, 2012 09:34

uhbuhgullayew

I totally enjoyed it in IMAX but was rather let down to see it on the small screen. Even though the music is good, it's painfully obvious that they reshot all over the place. I counted numerous places where the vocals didn't come close to the movements of Mick's mouth. Then I saw a documentary on TV about how they made it. In spots where the music was good but they didn't catch a good shot of certain band members, they did this: They set up the whole stage in the middle of the night in whatever stadium they were at, played a recording of the concert and got band members to pretend they were playing to their own performance. I remember seeing the director ask Keith to act a little "nastier" during the intro to Satisfaction. They cued up the clip and Keith fake played the riff while sneering at the camera, then relaxed and asked, "OK - that was great, right?" And like the vocals I saw a lot of spots where Keith's hands didn't come close to what you actually heard him playing. I'm surprised the Stones allowed such sloppy reshooting to get released. Otherwise, I've enjoyed the videos and DVD's from all the tours, each in their own way. I would even love LSTNT were it not for the inferior mix and horrible editing. I especially love the variety of the three different types of shows in Four Flicks and I think the Zilker Park show from the Biggest Bang is killer. I also think they performed great in Shine A Light, but things like having Jack White (although I respect him as an artist) watered parts of it down. An edited version may have been more powerful. I can't help but wonder if we could have gotten a truly spectacular film if they'd gotten the likes of Scorscese to film one of the big stadium spectacles with all the lighting and special effects. That may have been awesome.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 4, 2012 12:38

Did Voodoo Lounge get an official DVD release in the UK? I don't remember seeing it.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: January 5, 2012 19:37

Lets Spend the night together is awesome. I especially like the bit backstage where MJ has a go at Ronnie for having a beer too early. Jo Wood looks like she's been up for 3 days on a crack binge..oh hang on..

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 5, 2012 20:03

i watch music dvd's maybe once...they're all worth a look once...and then it's back to listening to tunes...i don't need to look to hear...

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: January 5, 2012 20:16

"MAX - at an IMAX theater"

Agreed, with full concert sound at the Sony I-Max in NYC was pretty great...On TV, not so much...

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: January 5, 2012 21:22

Voodoo lounge was available in UK for a while the gig was Miami,it's been out of print for years ,I didn't buy it at the time for some reason ,I think my ex wife said as I had it on VHS it was a waste of money,thing was it was not expensive it was £9.99 if I recall.
When I attended the Wembley Stadium Sunday gig on that tour they had a VHS on sale at the official booths,but we decided to buy it there,and buy it in the Record stores later,little realising that the show on that tape was New Jersey.
Took me years and a divorce to get hold of that tape,there is a Russian CD/DVD combo with Voodoo lounge cd and the New Jersey dvd around somewhere

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: January 5, 2012 23:50

adotulipson
Voodoo lounge was available in UK for a while the gig was Miami,it's been out of print for years ,I didn't buy it at the time for some reason ,I think my ex wife said as I had it on VHS it was a waste of money,thing was it was not expensive it was £9.99 if I recall.

I've always regretted not buying it. I'm surprised that it went out of circulation so quickly.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 6, 2012 00:21

Live at the Max is about as fake as a live recording can be. Voodoo Lounge and BtB are lifeless and lame. SAL shows that they are to old and have lost it. Biggest Bang is overproduced, dubbed and stale. I won't complain about FF and Texas 78´ though. The second MSG disc on FF and the Texas show are really good.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 6, 2012 00:31

Texas blew me away, awesome stuff!

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: January 6, 2012 00:35

I can see myself returning to the Live in Texas DVD the most. Love the energy. I like them all, but this one has jumped to the top of my list. I wish a proper concert of the Steel Wheels tour would be released. Live at the Max isn't quite live enough for me. It's a little too staged for me.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: January 6, 2012 00:46

Gimme Shelter, L+G, and Texas '78 are all one needs... but I love the rest too!! smiling smiley

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 6, 2012 01:15

At the Max at an Imax theater was great! All the audience was stunned. Great experience! Unfortunately you hardly can't see it that way anymore.

Parts of Biggest Bang I like as well. Some good playin and filming . .

What I always missed is a really good live video/ filmdocument from the classic 72/73 tours.Unfortunately there is nothing that shows them in their prime!It's all a bit unsatisfactory.

L. &. G. is by far not as good as it could have been and the live clips in C. Blues are too short and badly filmed.

There should be a live testimony from those great days when they really were "the greatest Rock 'n Roll band".
Like f.i. those clippings from Montreal 72 and Munich 73 where you could feel their intensity, power and dynamics. A live DVD in that vein would be a missed proof of their greatness.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1543
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home