Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Why was Jimmy Page quite a rage ?
Posted by: R ()
Date: January 4, 2012 16:03

Zep didn't play stadiums in the States until '77 while the Stones played about half of their '75 & '78 tours therein. That'll skew the sales numbers more than a little.

I saw Zep and the Stones about five months apart, in Cleveland, in Winter 1975. Zep played the (large for the era) suburban Richfield Coliseum which was actually around a 15,000 seat arena. The last 400 or so fans, carrying legit tickets, were refused entry by the fire marshal because the show had been way oversold. The folks outside rioted and broke several hundred plate-glass windows.

In the Spring of '75 I saw the Stones at the Cleveland Municipal Stadium where the Browns and Indians both played at the time. The paper said there were in excess of 81,000 people there but there could have been more as people were desperate to sell extras and even resorted to throwing them to the entering crowds, from the outer concourses, AFTER they'd entered the venue.

In between these two shows I saw Ronnie, Rod and the Faces in Detroit. All in all, it was a great few months.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 4, 2012 16:55

I have always liked Zep, that said I LOVE them Stones!

Date: January 4, 2012 16:59

Elmo Lewis
I have always liked Zep, that said I LOVE them Stones!

smileys with beer

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: January 4, 2012 18:23

whitem8
Nother reason Page was the rage, was he is hung. Plaster caster made a mighty cast of Page's member and he was renowned among groupies of being hung like a horse.

I believe you have him confused with another Jimmy, rather Jimi.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 4, 2012 19:39

I love the Beatles AND Zep but of course my #1 band is Mick's band!! I know, I said that just to wake all of you up!! There's room to enjoy all kinds of bands and all types of music.
Treacle, I've seen clips of Plant on TV doing his new stuff and it's very cool and interesting. I'd go to see him if he comes close enough to my town. I saw clips of Zep in their hayday and on certain nights they SUCKED bad!! Very slopy, songs dragged on, just not good. Other times they were just amazing. I actually saw the Plant/Page Tour in the 90's....it was OK. Not terrific as I expected.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 4, 2012 20:28

R
Zep didn't play stadiums in the States until '77 while the Stones played about half of their '75 & '78 tours therein. That'll skew the sales numbers more than a little.

1975 Stones tour - No. of shows - 46. Number of shows in stadiums - 8
(Kansas City, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Memphis, Dallas, Fort Collins, Jacksonville, Buffalo)

1978 Stones tour - No. of shows - 25. Number of shows in stadiums - 9
(Philadelphia, Cleveland, Buffalo, Chicago, New Orleans, Boulder, Anaheim (x2), Oakland

They played 1 stadium show on the '72 tour out of about 48 shows (Washington)

Zeppelin first played stadium shows in the US in 1973. Of their 36 North American dates that year, four were in stadiums (Atlanta, Tampa, San Francisco and Pittsburgh)

1975 North American tour - 38 shows. All arenas.

1977 North American Tour - 44 shows before the tour was cut short due to Plant's son's death. 5 in stadiums - Pontiac, Tampa, Seattle, Oakland (x2). Three more stadium shows were amongst the seven which were cancelled.

To get some perspective. When the Stones returned to touring in November '69, Zeppelin were in the middle of their 4th US tour of that year. The Stones only toured the US three more times after that until 1978. Zeppelin did seven US tours within that time frame. Their third US tour (summer '69) was the first one which featured shows which were mostly in either arenas or at festivals.

Zeppelin played something like 535 shows in a career running from 1968 to 1980. In that same time frame, the Stones only played 289 concerts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-04 20:32 by Gazza.

Date: January 4, 2012 23:19

Gazza
R

1975 Stones tour - No. of shows - 46. Number of shows in stadiums - 8
(Kansas City, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Memphis, Dallas, Fort Collins, Jacksonville, Buffalo)

1978 Stones tour - No. of shows - 25. Number of shows in stadiums - 9
(Philadelphia, Cleveland, Buffalo, Chicago, New Orleans, Boulder, Anaheim (x2), Oakland

They played 1 stadium show on the '72 tour out of about 48 shows (Washington)

Zeppelin first played stadium shows in the US in 1973. Of their 36 North American dates that year, four were in stadiums (Atlanta, Tampa, San Francisco and Pittsburgh)

1975 North American tour - 38 shows. All arenas.

1977 North American Tour - 44 shows before the tour was cut short due to Plant's son's death. 5 in stadiums - Pontiac, Tampa, Seattle, Oakland (x2). Three more stadium shows were amongst the seven which were cancelled.

To get some perspective. When the Stones returned to touring in November '69, Zeppelin were in the middle of their 4th US tour of that year. The Stones only toured the US three more times after that until 1978. Zeppelin did seven US tours within that time frame. Their third US tour (summer '69) was the first one which featured shows which were mostly in either arenas or at festivals.

Zeppelin played something like 535 shows in a career running from 1968 to 1980. In that same time frame, the Stones only played 289 concerts.

Was Zep playing Madison Square Garden, and the like, on those four tours in '69? Not hardly. A lot of clubs and theaters. Some fests but not headling I would guess.

Did you get the attendance for the '73 Zep "stadium" shows. I'm guessing it was no where near multiple tens of thousands of people or they'd be remembered as such. Many towns in those days didn't have cookie-cutter arenas the way we do now. Many had old "stadiums" like the Olympia in Detroit which was a huge behemoth but held only about 18,000.

I'll stand corrected regarding the ratio of actual stadium shows by the Stones in '75 and '78. It wasn't half but rather 1/4 and 1/3 respectively. In '75 the Stones did nearly as many shows as Zep at 37, not 36 because, if memory serves, they played Buffalo twice.

In '77 Zep obviously worked much harder than the Stones did a year later even with the death of Plant's son though, again, the Stones played nearly twice as many stadiums. Zep sold more tickets (and albums) during their career than the Stones did in the same time frame. That has long been my contention. Your figures bear it out ALTHOUGH if we had attendance figures for those '73 'stadium' shows and '69 festivals we might find they were close to the same..

Date: January 5, 2012 00:06

I think the Tampa show in '73 was attended by 55,000 people or something. It used to be in the Guinness Book of Records for the biggest crowd at a one-act show or something like that.

(edit - according to a quote by Page, they played to 53,000 in Atlanta in '73 and 55,000 in Tampa.
[en.wikipedia.org] )

They certainly werent a bigger draw than the Stones in 1969 - wasnt suggesting they were, and it means nothing to me if they were anyway. My point was that they were a more active band for the period when both were active.

They were however playing similar sized venues as the Stones on a regular basis from around early 1970, despite being more exposed.

Spring 1970 [en.wikipedia.org]

Previous US tour was more of a mixture of halls and arenas :
[en.wikipedia.org]

And yes, they were headlining.

I didnt say the Stones played 36 shows in 1975. I said they played 46. They played twice in Buffalo. An arena show on 15th June, and a stadium show to finish the tour on 8th August.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-05 00:11 by Gazza.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 5, 2012 01:33

mickschix
I actually saw the Plant/Page Tour in the 90's....it was OK. Not terrific as I expected.

I will have to strongly disagree with you Mickschix. I only saw one show (Los Angeles) but it was FANTASTIC. I was in the 3rd or 4th row on Page's side (Stage left) and I was blown away. Not so much by the polished Zepplin numbers they played but by the DRUMMER. I don't think it was Jason Bonham, the guy was too skinny, Some young kid anyway and he was just amazing. He put more into those drums than any drummer I have ever seen before or since. Really left a strong impression on me a the folks I was with. He was so into it and having so much fun I couldn't take my eyes off him. I wounder if any of the Zep fans out there can tell me who that dude was? He just smoked that night! peace.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: January 5, 2012 01:51

I think it was just Jagger taking a bit of a shot at Jimmy Page. Probably a good natured shot, but this is a song about a groupie obviously. Anybody ever read any of those groupie websites where they list rock stars and their sexual proclivities? I'm sure all those guys knew alot of the same girls and heard rumors about one another. Jimmy was known for (if I remember correctly) being into S&M and so forth. And Zep's sex-capades were a big part of their image. I think Jagger's speaking to the groupie(s), or at least responding to a bit of gossip that he's heard from her/them.

"Jimmy Page was quite a rage....I couldn't see the reason why" translates to "I don't see why you girls are making such a fuss over Jimmy". And like I said, it might have been a good natured jibe at Jimmy.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: January 5, 2012 01:54

Naturalust
mickschix
I actually saw the Plant/Page Tour in the 90's....it was OK. Not terrific as I expected.

I will have to strongly disagree with you Mickschix. I only saw one show (Los Angeles) but it was FANTASTIC. I was in the 3rd or 4th row on Page's side (Stage left) and I was blown away. Not so much by the polished Zepplin numbers they played but by the DRUMMER. I don't think it was Jason Bonham, the guy was too skinny, Some young kid anyway and he was just amazing. He put more into those drums than any drummer I have ever seen before or since. Really left a strong impression on me a the folks I was with. He was so into it and having so much fun I couldn't take my eyes off him. I wounder if any of the Zep fans out there can tell me who that dude was? He just smoked that night! peace.

have to agree with Mickschix on this one. I was sorely disappointed with the Page and Plant gig I saw in Glasgow(with the Black Crowes supporting). Page seemed disengaged - I seem to recall a second guitarist playing some of the solos. The arrangements of old Zep songs were all updated with weird ethnic overtones - all good and well, but I just wanted to hear the classic Zep catalogue in the way it was originally recorded. Since I've been loving you was utterly fantastic though.

Date: January 5, 2012 02:03

Tumblin_Dice_07
I think it was just Jagger taking a bit of a shot at Jimmy Page. Probably a good natured shot, but this is a song about a groupie obviously. Anybody ever read any of those groupie websites where they list rock stars and their sexual proclivities? I'm sure all those guys knew alot of the same girls and heard rumors about one another. Jimmy was known for (if I remember correctly) being into S&M and so forth. And Zep's sex-capades were a big part of their image. I think Jagger's speaking to the groupie(s), or at least responding to a bit of gossip that he's heard from her/them.

"Jimmy Page was quite a rage....I couldn't see the reason why" translates to "I don't see why you girls are making such a fuss over Jimmy". And like I said, it might have been a good natured jibe at Jimmy.

Good natured, yes. I also think its just as convenient that 'Page' rhymed with 'rage'.

Posted by: nobs ()
Date: January 5, 2012 02:30

zeppelin ripped it all off, f-u-c-k em

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 5, 2012 02:44

DandelionPowderman
To the latter, probably that Zep knocked the Stones off the rock throne in the 70s

What's quite apparent if you listen to some of the audience tapes from 69 to 77 (I don't count the 1980 tour) is that LZ sucked rather quickly. As early as 71 they were playing bad shows and near-entire tours (like the US trek of 75) were a big bore.

And overall their "non sequitur" type of music and their love of empty improvisation onstage didn't help.

The Stones kept it hard and fast for nearly 20 years (82 was their swan song imo).

But imagine them starting to take their cue from LZ :

- Nicky Hopkins doodling mindlessly on the piano for 15 minutes during YCAGWYW

- Charlie play a drum solo for half-an-hour...

- Keith playing with a theramine during "Happy"

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: January 5, 2012 06:21

Gazza
Tumblin_Dice_07

Good natured, yes. I also think its just as convenient that 'Page' rhymed with 'rage'.

Yeah I'm sure that's true. I'm also pretty sure that Jagger and Page both had flings with the ultra-groupie Pamela Des Barres...or whatever her name is. She was with Morrison for awhile too. Ended up writing a book. I think it's been suggested that "Star Star" might be about her but I never really had any clue who it was about. Probably not actually about any one girl.

Date: January 5, 2012 10:17

letitloose
[I just wanted to hear the classic Zep catalogue in the way it was originally recorded. Since I've been loving you was utterly fantastic though.

Seriously? If that is what you wanted you could have easily gotten your old records out and played them. Nothing so dull to me as when a song is played live EXACTLY as it is on the record. This was not a Led Zepplin concert. It was an older wiser Page and Plant playing some Zepplin music. I think the ethnic overtone you were referring to were Indian, a strong influence of both chaps at the time.

I think we will see Zepplin out again this year with John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham. Thats where you'll get to see your Zepplin tunes played more in the sytle of the original recordings. Anyone else heard this rumor?

Two noteable exceptions in my experience where the song played just like the record was exceptionally great. One was Eddie Vedder singing Black at the Bridge School concert several years back. He was spot on to the melody and phrasing on the record and it worked very well. Hard to improve on that almost perfect song.

The other was Elton John singing rocket man in 1972 , just prior to it's recorded release. I think in this case it was performed so close to the recording date and Elton was so well rehearsed and competent it just was the same song, note for note, phrase for phrase

Funny though that both of those exceptions DID NOT include a band playing along with all the instrumentation, Just Eddie and a guitar and just Elton and his piano. peace.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 5, 2012 13:39

I read Pam's book, pretty funny actually. Still wish I'd seen Zep in the day...

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: January 5, 2012 16:08

Naturalust

That was Michael Lee; sadly he passed away just over 3 years ago at age 39. You're right, he was enormously exciting to watch and listen to - great energy from that young fellow.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 5, 2012 16:39

Tumblin_Dice_07

Yeah, I read one of those groupie sites several years ago - interesting and funny stuff. They spoke highly of Tommy Lee (of course), Cheap Trick's Robin Zander, and Steven Tyler.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: January 5, 2012 19:49

Claire_M
Naturalust

That was Michael Lee; sadly he passed away just over 3 years ago at age 39. You're right, he was enormously exciting to watch and listen to - great energy from that young fellow.

Thank You Claire! I appreciate the info, although I am overly sad such an incredible talent is gone at such a young age. I will do some more research on that fellow. He was indeed a joy to watch, the most exciting drummer I have ever seen or heard. peace.

Date: January 5, 2012 20:16

dcba
The Stones kept it hard and fast for nearly 20 years (82 was their swan song imo).

But imagine them starting to take their cue from LZ :

- Nicky Hopkins doodling mindlessly on the piano for 15 minutes during YCAGWYW

- Charlie play a drum solo for half-an-hour...

- Keith playing with a theramine during "Happy"

>grinning smiley<

Those piss-takes and joint breaks. It was a different kind of Rock and Roll.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: January 14, 2012 04:47

NICOS
MILKYWAY
One can like both the Stones & Zeppelin, you know.

Like me ...and the Beatles sold more records then the Stones and Zeppelin together

I think the Monkees sold more LPs than the Beatles.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: January 14, 2012 04:50

Munichhilton
MILKYWAY

Very sensible conclusion...but in what order?

Led Zeppelin. Even though they came later in time, Led Zeppelin are the true innovators. Always go to the source!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 14, 2012 05:08

Zeppelin innovators? Now I like Zep, I am big fan, but they weren't really innovative were they? Mostly, copied old blues, added heavy guitar and rhythm section with a banshee wailing singer. All good, but not as innovative as The Stones.

Date: January 14, 2012 06:05

Claire_M
Naturalust

He toured with The Cult in 1991/92 and was insanely awesome.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 14, 2012 06:06

MILKYWAY
Munichhilton
MILKYWAY

Very sensible conclusion...but in what order?

Led Zeppelin. Even though they came later in time, Led Zeppelin are the true innovators. Always go to the source!

Although I loved Led Zeppelin a lot of recordings have come forth in the past few years to show how much sound they stole from other people.

Posted by: Laughingsam ()
Date: January 14, 2012 06:23

24FPS
Although I loved Led Zeppelin a lot of recordings have come forth in the past few years to show how much sound they stole from other people.

Totally agree. I LOVE Led Zeppelin, but they are among the least original of all the British supergroups. Their strength lies in the power of their delivery, not innovation.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: January 14, 2012 09:01

Laughingsam
24FPS

Totally agree. I LOVE Led Zeppelin, but they are among the least original of all the British supergroups. Their strength lies in the power of their delivery, not innovation.

Yah, totally agree. Luv me some Zep, but a lot o their greatest stuff was stolen from Davey Graham, Bert Jansch, Small Faces, et al. The Stones at least gave credit to everone they covered....

..I am quite drunk and reeferless at the moment . First time I posted here in alon gtime... godf beless Muddy Watesn and
Howkin @#$%& Wolf...

not to mentiopn Rory Gallageher and Roy Buchanon...u know whs

f yeah!

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: January 14, 2012 09:04

And Magic F'n Sam !!!!!!!!

Posted by: uduwudu ()
Date: January 14, 2012 09:30

The 1972 tours where Led Zep and the Stones toured the USA caused endless publicity for the Stones. Zeppelin felt they deserved some press as well and that was when they got B.P. Fallon - to try and give their bad off stage reputation a spin and polish. Worked from the 73 US tours onward.

What I don't understand about the plagirism is the inconsistencies. Plant now has a writing credit for Babe I'm Gonna Leave you - now that original writer Annie Bredon turned up to clarify matters for example. Credits are shared, some given, many not. Apparently Humble Pie's version of You need Love is not original either... but they're not Zeppelin so that's different...

But what on earth are publishers and record companies for if not to do all the administration and such like work. Leaving things to musos is just not a good idea.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1726
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home