Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Why was Jimmy Page quite a rage ?
Date: January 3, 2012 15:50

Any why Mick couldn't see the reason why?

Re: Why was Jimmy Page quite a rage ?
Date: January 3, 2012 15:55

To the latter, probably that Zep knocked the Stones off the rock throne in the 70s winking smiley

Date: January 3, 2012 16:04

Possible, but still open for debate.

75 tour was better than Zepp in the 70's - more sales, tickets etc...

Date: January 3, 2012 16:14

Jimmy Page ran off with Chrissie Wood prior to Woody's involvement with the Stones - as an odd coincidence that verse appeared when Woody joined the Stones for the 75 tour.

Date: January 3, 2012 16:15

steel driving hammer

The Stones played 8 more shows than Zeppelin in 1975, but I bet both bands packed all houses at the time.

Physical Grafitti wiped the floor with both IORR and Black And Blue saleswise, though.

Date: January 3, 2012 16:16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-03 16:18 by steel driving hammer.

Date: January 3, 2012 16:17

DandelionPowderman
steel driving hammer

The Stones played 8 more shows than Zeppelin in 1975, but I bet both bands packed all houses at the time.

Physical Grafitti wiped the floor with both IORR and Black And Blue saleswise, though.

I'll agree w/ that.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 3, 2012 17:21

DandelionPowderman
steel driving hammer

Didn't Zep sell double the amount of tickets and ten times the amount of albums in the 70's than the Stones?

Mathijs

Date: January 3, 2012 17:23

Double???

That's just too deep for me baby...

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: January 3, 2012 17:33

DandelionPowderman
steel driving hammer

The Stones were the biggest live show on Earth in the 70s. Zeppelin resented it. Many artists outsold the Stones album wise. They didn't usual knock other artists in their songs.

Jagger used those lyrics for one of 2 reasons.. Its easy to find words that rhyme with Page, or he didn't like Zeppelin's music and couldn't see what all the fuse was about. My opinion was it was option number one.

I do find it annoying that people couldn't even consider option number 2.

Date: January 3, 2012 17:35

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-03 17:56 by brianwalker.

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 3, 2012 17:36

Mathijs
Didn't Zep sell double the amount of tickets and ten times the amount of albums in the 70's than the Stones?

Mathijs

I remember selling over 600 copies of Physical Graffiti, opening day, at the single store I worked at in a Midwestern factory town, in 1975. This after answering the phone multiple times a day asking about its release for nearly a year. IORR didn't even come close and B&B sure as hell didn't.

Date: January 3, 2012 17:38

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
steel driving hammer

Mathijs

From what I've read over the years Zep had the bigger live draw and the albums sold A LOT. A little look around and that has a lot of truth to it. Houses Of The Holy sold 11 million copies in the US according to wikipedia via the RIAA. Physical Graffiti, according to wikipedia via the RIAA, sold 8 million copies in the US alone. Which was officially counted as 16 million actual albums sold.

They recorded and mixed Presence, their weakest selling album and only selling 3 million copies, according to wikipedia via the RIAA, in the US, in 18 days, right before the Stones came in to record for Black And Blue.

So...yeah. They sold more albums than the Stones.

Date: January 3, 2012 17:39

OK, to be correct, Zep sold more COPIES than albums. The Stones have Zep beat in the amount of albums sold. Whatever it is, 26 albums.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 3, 2012 17:41

The Zep won in record and ticket sales, the Stones with hype and media coverage - which pissed Page off. Plant and Page even complained about this in one ROLLING STONE (?) interview. The Zep was not media sexy but that wasn't Jagger's fault, was it?

If I recall right the Zep even reschudeled some of their shows - or even tour - to give Stones tour more room to shine - or does my memory makes me tricks (again)?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-03 17:43 by Doxa.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: January 3, 2012 17:47

steel driving hammer

Why anyone likes Led Zep is beyond me anyway. I like Rock n Roll, not Rock.

Date: January 3, 2012 17:49

Carnaby
steel driving hammer

Why anyone likes Led Zep is beyond me anyway. I like Rock n Roll, not Rock.

Zep was a great band! Listen to their slower ones if it's too hard.

I think AC/DC is more Rock than Zep.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: January 3, 2012 17:49

I thought it was because Jimmy Page liked to use a whip at times?

Date: January 3, 2012 17:51

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
OK, to be correct, Zep sold more COPIES than albums. The Stones have Zep beat in the amount of albums sold. Whatever it is, 26 albums.

"Copies" vs. "albums" equals a distiction without a difference. One must bear in mind that Zep released only eight full studio LPs in their active career of a single decade and most of their work still rings up big numbers in catalog sales. The Stones MAY have sold more but did so over the course of nearly fifty years and only Some Girls, Sticky Fingers, Exile and LIB come remotely close to Zep IV (as an example) in catalog sales.

Date: January 3, 2012 17:52

Doxa
The Zep won in record and ticket sales, the Stones with hype and media coverage - which pissed Page off. Plant and Page even complained about this in one ROLLING STONE (?) interview. The Zep was not media sexy but that wasn't Jagger's fault, was it?

If I recall right the Zep even reschudeled some of their shows - or even tour - to give Stones tour more room to shine - or does my memory makes me tricks (again)?

- Doxa

Seriously? And I thought Mick had a big ego. Damn. That's a bit of a snot toss coming from someone that was not only in the biggest band on the planet but refused to release singles - or so 'they' say.

Date: January 3, 2012 17:58

Doxa

- Doxa

Zep did not win in tciket sales. I know they love to claim that but its nonesense. What Zep did is break records for ONE act shows, the Stones always had a warm up band.

Date: January 3, 2012 17:58

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-03 17:59 by brianwalker.

Date: January 3, 2012 17:59

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Doxa

- Doxa

Seriously? And I thought Mick had a big ego. Damn. That's a bit of a snot toss coming from someone that was not only in the biggest band on the planet but refused to release singles - or so 'they' say.

Rolling Stone magazine made a conscious effort to bash Zep from the get-go. It helped to sell magazines because Zep fans would buy that useless rag just to get mad at it. Much like the MSNBC network here in the States has an audience consisting of about 1/4 to 1/3 conservatives.

I don't remember the Zep shuffling a tour around to accommodate the Stones though in '75 Peter Rudge managed both of their tours. Zep was done in late winter and the Stones went out in early summer.

Date: January 3, 2012 18:07

R
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Doxa

- Doxa

Rolling Stone magazine made a conscious effort to bash Zep from the get-go. It helped to sell magazines because Zep fans would buy that useless rag just to get mad at it. Much like the MSNBC network here in the States has an audience consisting of about 1/4 to 1/3 conservatives.

Yes..Rolling Stone magazine gave Zeppelin bad reviews in the 70s. I hope you are not stating as a fact that they did that to sell magazines. Probably they did it because they felt Zeppelin was over the top nonesense that only impressed teenages that liked over the top nonesense.

Again i find it annoying when the Zep crowd can't believe that some people just don't like their music.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: January 3, 2012 18:09

UnderAssistantWCpromoMan
Jimmy Page ran off with Chrissie Wood prior to Woody's involvement with the Stones - as an odd coincidence that verse appeared when Woody joined the Stones for the 75 tour.

Their association goes way further back though. Jimmy was a staff producer on Andrew Loog Oldham's label, hired by Andrew personally. And Keith reported in his autobio that Jimmy was present at several of those art school boys' room jam sessions waaayyy back in the day.

If you read Pamela Des Barres' witty memoir "I'm With the Band," you'll recall that Mick tried repeatedly to seduce her when she was in love (and faithful to) Jimmy Page, I'm not clear on the date. Mick and Pamela later did have a fling, when Jimmy was out of the picture.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: January 3, 2012 18:16

In her book, "I'm with the Band", Pamela Des Barres (who I always thought was, at the very least, a reference-point for StarStar) talks quite a bit about how "good" Jimmy Page was. I've always assumed (probably wrongly) that the "quite the rage" line had something to do with Ms. DesBarres' opinion.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: January 3, 2012 18:23

She said Pagey was very gallant in bed, yes. Bebe Buell said he was a gentleman.

I don't see Mick being insecure about his ... ahem, performance though, do you? And Pamela had no complaints. I think the lyric in question was probably just a friendly joust.

Keith and Jimmy have been friends for years, even though Keith has publicly said he wasn't a Zep fan because of Robert's showy vocals.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 3, 2012 18:24

Okay, here are parts the interview I referred above (I think); it is probably from 1975:

It wasn't until Led Zeppelin's last American tour in '73 that the media fully acknowledged the band's popularity.

Plant: We decided to hire our first publicity firm after we toured here in the summer of '72. That was the same summer that the Stones toured and we knew full well that we were doing more business than them. We were getting better gates in comparison to a lot of people who were constantly glorified in the press. So without getting too egocentric, we thought it was time that people heard something about us other than that we were eating women and throwing the bones out the window. That whole lunacy thing was all people knew about us and it was all word-of-mouth. All those times of lunacy were okay, but we aren't and never were monsters. Just good-time boys, loved by their fans and hated by their critics.

Do you feel any competition with the Stones?

Page: Naw. I don't think of it that way. I don't feel any competition at all. The Stones are great and always have been. Jagger's lyrics are just amazing. Right on the ball every time. I mean, I know all about how we're supposed to be the biggest group in the world and all, but I don't ever think about it. I don't feel that competition enters into it. It's who makes good music and who doesn't ... and who's managed to sustain themselves.

Sounds diplomatic but then I find this funny 'egowise' (ask Freud more):

What did you think about your portrayal in 'Rock Dreams'? As a guitar Mafioso along with Alvin Lee, Jeff Beck, Pete Townshend and Eric Clapton?

Page: There's nothing about Zeppelin in there at all. The artist spends his whole time masturbating over the Stones in that book, doesn't he? The Stones in drag and things like that.

>grinning smiley<

The whole thing here: [www.scribd.com]

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-03 18:27 by Doxa.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: January 3, 2012 18:29

Why is it that the bands and performers themselves say there isn't a competition or "battle" between their respective bands and yet the fans are the ones that feel the need to put them into one. Whatever happened to just enjoying the music and not making a sport out of it?

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: January 3, 2012 18:32

Put me down as someone who never liked Led Zep. I never went to a single Led Zep concert, although just about everone I knew did.They had no rhythm and Plant's singng made my temples hurt. Jimmy Page is a great talent, but that doesnt maek Zep any good.

They were quite the rage and I don't see the reason why!

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home