Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Most talented band ever?
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 20, 2018 18:42

Dirty Mac:

Eric Clapton
John Lennon
Keith Richards
Mitch Mitchell

"No Anchovies, Please"

Re: Most talented band ever?
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 20, 2018 18:55

There are multiple ways to look at talent:

- Songwriting
- Raw musical chops

You look at a band like the Ramones...very basic musically, but wrote some of the catchiest pop-punk songs of all time. That's talent.

In terms of virtuosity, there are so many:

Zeppelin
The Who
Rush
Dream Theater

There are a ton of prog bands (Yes, King Crimson) that display crazy chops, but maybe the songs meander and don't really speak to a wide audience. Is indulging in 15-20 minute wankery talent, or just showing off?

Things to think about...

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 20, 2018 19:00

One hit wonder. grinning smiley

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 20, 2018 19:13

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 20, 2018 20:21

If "supergroups" count, would be tough to beat the talent assembled in groups like The Highwaymen (Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, and Kris Kristofferson)
or The Traveling Wilburys (Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, George Harrison).
Probably give the nod to the Wilburys, but a tough choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-20 20:22 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: October 20, 2018 20:24

ah

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 20, 2018 20:40

"Talented"...quite vague with many interpretations as keefriff pointed out above.

I've always had a fondness for Jethro Tull (from beginning to mid/late' '70's), and some of the intricacies of the songwriting coupled with exceptional musicianship.
On the other hand, I also like the Clash blasting out complete mayhem - warts and all. Having seen both of them live c.79/'80, the impact they had on me was everlasting.
Is one better than the other? Lots of variables to consider, but in my mind they're equally talented - they just had different ways of expressing it haha.

As for musicianship, Steely Dan and their many incarnations might be up for consideration as "most talented", but that probably depends on if you like their music to begin with.

As for songwriting, the Beatles...

As for songwriting and live spectacle, Pink Floyd....

As for straightforward solid rock and roll shows, the Stones....

And the lists go on.........

Date: October 20, 2018 20:46

The Early Mahavishnu Orchestra and the Gentle Giant are certainly amongst the most talented and creative bands, to my taste.

Date: October 20, 2018 21:07

keefriff99
There are multiple ways to look at talent:

- Songwriting
- Raw musical chops

You look at a band like the Ramones...very basic musically, but wrote some of the catchiest pop-punk songs of all time. That's talent.

In terms of virtuosity, there are so many:

Zeppelin
The Who
Rush
Dream Theater

There are a ton of prog bands (Yes, King Crimson) that display crazy chops, but maybe the songs meander and don't really speak to a wide audience. Is indulging in 15-20 minute wankery talent, or just showing off?

Things to think about...

add to your list emerson,lake and palmer

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 20, 2018 21:18

I hate to say it here. But in the category of pop music it's obviously The Beatles

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-20 21:19 by slewan.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 20, 2018 21:21

Genesis was such a great group of talents.

Peter Gabriel going solo, highly creative.
Phil Collins taking over vocals and also solo, highly popular.
Mike Rutherford, Mike & The Mechanics such a creat band still.
Steve Hacket, also great.
Tony Banks, also great solo.

I can't think of any other band where at least five members made such great music and success both in the band and later on solo. I am a great fan of them and have seen them both as the original band Genesis ages ao, as well as Peter Gabriel, first solo tour and later tours, and Mike & The Mechanics, and I was a big fan of Tony Banks too, still are.

Bjornulf

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 20, 2018 21:29

The current lineup of King Crimson is outstanding. It's the first Crimson lineup that plays things from their entire catalog. And do they ever play it! Check out the new live set Meltdown.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 20, 2018 21:34

Black Crowes

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 20, 2018 21:43

De dijk
Jeroen

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 20, 2018 21:48

The Bob Dylan quatuor :
- Bob's brain
- Bob's voice
- Bob's right hand
- Bob's left hand

You can't beat this group of four! grinning smiley

Date: October 20, 2018 21:49

ab
The current lineup of King Crimson is outstanding. It's the first Crimson lineup that plays things from their entire catalog. And do they ever play it! Check out the new live set Meltdown.

thumbs up

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 20, 2018 21:58

Hard not to say The Band - truly great

The Band- Rick Danko, Garth Hudson, Richard Manuel, Robbie Robertson, and Levon Helm.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 20, 2018 22:10

bv
Genesis was such a great group of talents.

Peter Gabriel going solo, highly creative.
Phil Collins taking over vocals and also solo, highly popular.
Mike Rutherford, Mike & The Mechanics such a creat band still.
Steve Hacket, also great.
Tony Banks, also great solo.

I can't think of any other band where at least five members made such great music and success both in the band and later on solo. I am a great fan of them and have seen them both as the original band Genesis ages ao, as well as Peter Gabriel, first solo tour and later tours, and Mike & The Mechanics, and I was a big fan of Tony Banks too, still are.

I know there are recognized as four but Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young would have something to say about that.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 20, 2018 22:34

The Traveling Wilburys

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 20, 2018 22:39

In terms of current bands that I go see every chance I get, I'd rank
Tedeschi Trucks Band right up there (behind the stones).

Derek Trucks is amongst the best guitar players I've ever seen, and his wife, Susan Tedeschi, is not too far behind him on guitar skills and a vocalist like no other. The rest of their 11 members are all very accomplished players/vocalists as well.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 20, 2018 22:44

I don't know but.......... I think The Moody Blues need a mention here

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 20, 2018 23:04

The Stones of the late 60s, early 70s. They were a band. They were not a gathering of disparate superstars. A chemical explosion happened between Jagger/Wyman/Richards/Taylor & Watts. That is one talented band.

My second choice would be the Paul Butterfield Blues Band when they had Michael Bloomfield.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 20, 2018 23:27

ab
Ooh, thanks for the recommendation. I am definitely checking this out.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 21, 2018 00:04

stones at their peak were the most talented.

also a mention for the doors.what a talented bunch they were who produced some amazing songs.

ofcourse the beatles were talented and made many great songs but they also got credit for sh@t and were so hyped, songs like get back and yellow submarine would never have been rated if made by someone else. yellow submarine is like a song the tweenies would sing.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: October 21, 2018 00:47

X-pensive Wino's, that band had a lot of talent even if you take the main man out, and boy did they rock smoking smiley

The Eagles have a lot of talent

Underestimated people like Jeff Lynne from ELO and the Traveling Wilburys has a lot of talent

Pink Floyd, Led Zepp, The Who, The Beach Boys, The Kinks, Beatles, The Bee Gee's, Bowie, Bob Dylan, The Band, Eric Clapton and the many bands he has played in over the years, in many ways the Stones as individuals don't have that sort of talent, but as a cohesive unit they are untouchable for volume of output and consistency spanning many decades up to and including Undercover the quality matched the quantity for longer than any other band i can think of.

Guns & Roses, The Black Crows, Aerosmith, ACDC, The cult, Primal Scream, all very talented, even Bon Jovi lol.( any band with a player like Richie Sambora in it has to be included)

How do you pick a winner, most talented, impossible.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: October 21, 2018 00:58

As musicians - Cream

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: October 21, 2018 02:02

So many talented musicians...but my vote goes to the band that played in Brussels on October 17, 1973.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 21, 2018 02:19

terraplane
As musicians - Cream

Agreed! Aptly named.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 21, 2018 02:33

MoreFastNumbers
ah
- ha

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 21, 2018 02:51

Most talented? Very subjective, but here's a few: The Miles Davis Sextet; Louis Armstrong and His All Stars; Muddy Waters band from the early/mid 1950s; James Brown and The Famous Flames; The Allman Brothers Band (depending on the era); Springsteen's E Street Band; so on and so forth.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1816
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home