Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: Jack White bans phones at gigs for “100% human experience”
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 27, 2018 19:13

By Luke Morgan Britton Jan 24, 2018
story of the day
Shows will be "phone-free"

Jack White has banned the use of mobile phones at upcoming live shows.

The former White Stripes frontman releases new album ‘Boarding House Reach’ in March and recently announced his first UK shows in four years.

White embarks on a tour of the US from April, with a statement announcing that shows would be “phone-free”, confirming: “No photos, video or audio recording devices allowed”.

“We think you’ll enjoy looking up from your gadgets for a little while and experience music and our shared love of it IN PERSON,” the statement adds.

“Upon arrival at the venue, all phones and other photo or video-capturing gizmos will be secured in a Yondr pouch that will be unlocked at the end of the show. You keep your pouch-secured phone on you during the show and, if needed, can unlock your phone at any time in a designated Yondr Phone Zone located in the lobby or concourse.”

“For those looking to do some social media postings, let us help you with that. Our official tour photographer will be posting photos and videos after the show at jackwhiteiii.com and the new Jack White Live Instagram account @officialjackwhitelive. Repost our photos & videos as much as you want and enjoy a phone-free, 100% human experience.”

It is not currently known whether the phone-free policy will be implemented at White’s UK dates. NME has approached Jack White’s press representatives for further comment.

Boston Calling has shared a statement, confirming that the policy won’t be in place for White’s festival dates. The statement reads: “The no-camera policy will not be enforced at the festivals Jack White is headlining, however, Jack hopes fans at each event will join him in his objective and he thanks everyone for their support.”

Read more at [www.nme.com]

Re: OT: Jack White bans phones at gigs for “100% human experience”
Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: January 27, 2018 19:43

Good idea imho

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: January 27, 2018 19:52

Wasn't too impressed with the new single.
There always were idiots with cameras annoying others at concerts.
Before they had big analogue cameras.
Now it's mobile phones.
Same old story.
Idiots are idiots.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 27, 2018 20:02

I went to see him in 2015 (it was a great concert, btw). Before the start of the concert, somebody from his crew went to the stage and kindly asked for the audience to not take pictures, in order to just enjoy the concert without watching it through the small screen of a smartphone. Thankfully, most of the people kept their phones on their bags or on their pockets.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 27, 2018 20:14

They'll always be those that will do it anyway, but I appreciate this move towards making the policy (somewhat) enforceable which will drastically reduce, if not eliminate the offenders.

Went to a show last night (Rosanne Cash) where the no phone/pic policy was explicitly spelled out before the show and it made a great difference.

Having said that, in concerts as big as the Stones shows, I would hope that they would add an "official periscope" or live feed option to make the policy perfect cool smiley

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: January 27, 2018 20:41

Jerk White is the epitome of a PDB- Prima Donna Boy.

Phones/cameras/recording are a small part of distractions at live shows.

If Jackie boy is so overly worried about people enjoying the show without distractions then maybe he should also demand that all the talkers stfu! And tell all the up and down and up and down and in out and out and up and down getting drinks and going to the bathroom to stay put.

AND TELL THE SING ALONG/scream along/yak along people who cant carry a note or sing as they yak badly out of key to let the artist do the singing!

And tell all the tall people to get out of the way as they hold their arms above their head blocking the view. And tell the people with body odor to take a shower/bath. And tell that shirtless guy always looking for a pipe and/or rolling papers to bring his own for once in his life. And tell the girls looking seat share/hog to gtfo.

Jerky Boy, address all the rest of the distractions too!!!
People recording and taking pictures are only a small part of the distractions at concerts.

The truth is Jerk White is a greedy self conscious control freek who is worried about people recording him doing a crappy job playing and thinks it might affect people not wanting to pay to go see him.

God Bless The Stones for letting it be...
God Bless The Stones letting people record and stream and take pictures...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-27 20:55 by Leonioid.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: January 27, 2018 20:42

Yippee. Great idea. Be here now.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 27, 2018 21:50

Glenn Danzig tried to do the same for the 2018 Misfits reformation tour...

[www.metalsucks.net]

Date: January 27, 2018 22:26

dcba
Glenn Danzig tried to do the same for the 2018 Misfits reformation tour...

[www.metalsucks.net]

LOL hot smiley that is a funny article!

bottom line- ""you can’t police innocuous behavior""

""shocker!!! tons of people snuck in their phones anyway (or broke them out of the pouches), and there are literally hundreds of photos and videos on Instagram to prove it""

more lol https:/ /www.instagram.com/p/BdXD6j_lWnS/

Date: January 27, 2018 22:29

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 27, 2018 22:50

He's an inspiring guy. I give him credit for just bringing the issue to the fore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-27 23:47 by hopkins.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 28, 2018 00:13

Leonioid

If Jackie boy is so overly worried about people enjoying the show without distractions then maybe he should also demand that all the talkers stfu! And tell all the up and down and up and down and in out and out and up and down getting drinks and going to the bathroom to stay put.

AND TELL THE SING ALONG/scream along/yak along people who cant carry a note or sing as they yak badly out of key to let the artist do the singing!

And tell all the tall people to get out of the way as they hold their arms above their head blocking the view. And tell the people with body odor to take a shower/bath. And tell that shirtless guy always looking for a pipe and/or rolling papers to bring his own for once in his life. And tell the girls looking seat share/hog to gtfo.

People recording and taking pictures are only a small part of the distractions at concerts.

The truth is Jerk White is a greedy self conscious control freek who is worried about people recording him doing a crappy job playing and thinks it might affect people not wanting to pay to go see him.

No secret that I'm a huge JW fan and have seen him and his various bands countless times, and will on this tour too (ten shows booked so far). This phone policy is only 1. a formalization of the policy he's always had at shows, and 2. a policy already in use by other bands and especially comedians who don't want their material leaked. I went to a Chris Rock show at JW's Third Man Records where the policy was in force and it worked fine.

It's not just for the benefit of the audience, or for preventing leaks/piracy, etc. etc. It's also because most artists HATE looking out into the audience and seeing a sea of screens. I don't blame them.

I'm 100% behind him in this and will be leaving my phone at home.

Edit: By the way, the tour is already nearly sold out so I don't think he's too concerned about people not buying tickets. And yes, no method is foolproof.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-28 00:16 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 28, 2018 00:29

Chrissy Hynde tried to ban them when I saw her a few years ago with a projection on the screen before the show "NO PHONES OR CAMERAS".
At one point, she even scolded someone in between songs in the middle of the concert for using one.

Roger Waters hates them also - lyrics to his recent song 'Picture That':

“Follow me filming myself at the show / On a phone from a seat in the very front row.”

He clarified the lyrics in a recent interview:

"What kind of moron pays for a front row ticket only to watch the show through their phone".

And back in 2011 he said:

“For my part I would never turn on a cell phone at any musical event,” he wrote, “whether it’s at The Met, The Garden or anywhere else.
It would seem to me to show a lack of respect to and care for fellow concert goers or for that matter for the artist. Apart from anything else,
how could I possibly truly experience the thing I’d paid to see and hear, if I was fiddling with an iPhone, filming or twittering or chatting or whatever?”

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 28, 2018 00:36

Jeez, if performers keep this up there'll be nothing new to post on Dime. I do agree with the sentiment expressed earlier in this thread that even better would be the performer telling the audience to stfu already during the show. Now, I expect they'll want to ban the audience from raising their Bic lighters in the air. (And, yes, I know folks don't really do this anymore.)

Date: January 28, 2018 00:47

I don't know how quietly a band has to be playing for people to be able to hear the audience talking during songs. I never can.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: January 28, 2018 01:07

dmay
Jeez, if performers keep this up there'll be nothing new to post on Dime. I do agree with the sentiment expressed earlier in this thread that even better would be the performer telling the audience to stfu already during the show. Now, I expect they'll want to ban the audience from raising their Bic lighters in the air. (And, yes, I know folks don't really do this anymore.)

I've seen that plenty of times.

[soundcloud.com]

Posted by: 06230 ()
Date: January 28, 2018 01:12

its kinda true, it must be a tad frustrating at a gig when everyone is holding up their smart phones. however the flip side of that is this.. how many of us here have enjoyed seeing the stones via such media as in YouTube or whatever which originally came from said phones.(gigs we could not attend) I'm just saying... ya cant put the Jeanie back in the bottle... some would say progress , I say it is what is now...

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 28, 2018 01:22

Who is doing frisking at the door? Must be small shows only.
‘100% human experience’ sounds like sex, no? Pass Jack White eye popping smiley

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: January 28, 2018 01:37

Good. I've bought tickets for London, probably just about practical to implement (Apollo rather than an arena). As others say above, last few times I saw him there was a plea before the show for no phones that was largely obliged. Note, he also has pro photographers taking loads of photos during the show that are available online the day after (this was the case when I saw him in Blackpool and Leeds last).
This is the product -

[www.overyondr.com]

Probably a slower entry and exit to the venue but i'm all for it. Can't see it working in arenas/stadiums tho

Go Jack

Date: January 28, 2018 02:32

35love
Who is doing frisking at the door?

The same people who do security at the entry to every show right now. This really isn't anything radically different.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 28, 2018 02:46

Chris Rock's also banned them on his current UK tour.

[news.sky.com]

Dylan's another. Jimmy Fallon talked about it after a 2017 show - [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 28, 2018 02:54

Always thought Jack White was a tad over rated but considering the wasteland today's music is I suppose he is one of the better artist making music.

That being said I sympathize with his attempt to curb cell phone useage but my feeling is if someone paid for a ticket it is none of my business if they want to miss the experience texting or taking crappy pictures/ videos during the show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-28 03:39 by oldschool.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: January 28, 2018 03:21

Leonioid

Had a terrible (expensive) experience at McCartney due to people talking (show wasn't that loud) and the house lights at the stadium never being all the way down

Date: January 28, 2018 03:46

Aquamarine
35love
Who is doing frisking at the door?

The same people who do security at the entry to every show right now. This really isn't anything radically different.

I rarely, if ever, go to music shows. I was in a longish que in Nanterre, France for a female to look me over for weapons. But ratting out all the cellphones...

Date: January 28, 2018 03:48

Leonioid

LOL.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 28, 2018 04:03

He has three songs out now from the new album. My impression is he wants to be the new Prince.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 28, 2018 04:19

Maindefender
He has three songs out now from the new album. My impression is he wants to be the new Prince.

But can he dance like Prince? winking smiley

Seriously though, in what ways does he want to be like Prince?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 28, 2018 04:34

I heard Jack wants to change his name to Cymbal ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: January 28, 2018 05:27

Pass.

Date: January 28, 2018 07:28

Rockman
I heard Jack wants to change his name to Cymbal ....
smiling bouncing smiley grinning smiley

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1628
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home