Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Village Voice
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 1, 2018 04:31

For those of us of a certain vintage, this was probably our first introduction to alternative lifestyles, art, music, culture, literature, etc. It made me want to live in New York City - Manhattan, specifically - and explore big city living. It also led me to explore other alternative publications like the Berkeley Barb and Ramparts magazine, to name two I remember, along with reading beat poetry, getting into foreign films, and so on and so forth. Sad to see the VV go away, but as the late Mister Harrison said, "All Things Must Pass".

[www.nytimes.com]

Re: OT: RIP Village Voice
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 1, 2018 05:47

That paper informed me Mick Taylor with quick silver messenger service, Ronnie Spector with Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, Dave Mason and the Hotel Earle.
Time and tide tarry for no man.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 1, 2018 06:31

Heard about that today...shame what's happening to print media.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 1, 2018 08:40

keefriff99

As did I. I love print media, especially newspapers and magazines. There something enlightening about reading it first in the morning newspaper, unfortunately in today's world, it's old news in an hour.

If video killed the radio star, then the internet killed print media.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 1, 2018 11:22

The Sicilian
keefriff99

As did I. I love print media, especially newspapers and magazines. There something enlightening about reading it first in the morning newspaper, unfortunately in today's world, it's old news in an hour.

If video killed the radio star, then the internet killed print media.

It will have to adapt. I think people still love the tactile feel of a magazine/newspaper. Unless they're programmed otherwise.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 1, 2018 12:38

Well, OK, mourn the loss of print media.

The trade-off is photo grabs online of your favorite print media publications.

This site partly contributes to the demise of print media -- but not to put it down. It is how it is, and that's how the information flow evolves.

Myself, I've been collecting lots of original print media magazines and etc.

With Baby Boomers and their precedents passing all the time, there are estate sales and online you can find all that vintage merchandise.

Found an original copy online of a 1964 U.S. TV Guide; original copies of two 1965 TV Guides; original copies of 1960s magazines like Photoplay and etc.

Would yah believe there is an original copy of LIFE magazine, that I now have in my possession, for May 20, 1966? It's "The Big Snoop"; it's about "Electronic Snooping, INSIDIOUS INVASIONS OF PRIVACY [bullet point] In Business [bullet point] In the Home [bullet point] By Law Enforcers [bullet point] By the Underworld [bullet point] By Anyone Who's Out To Get You"

In a word: Information

But the information's all there, still being catalogued...

...only difference is, it's piling up on your disk drive instead of all over your desk!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 1, 2018 15:18

R.I.P. Village Voice

Looking for an apartment in the early eighties... involved getting up before dawn Wednesday (the day the Voice came out each week).
Go to magazine stand on 7th Avenue (they got the first copies). Immediately turn to the apartment listings. If there was a good listing: GET THERE FIRST: RACE to the address.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-01 15:19 by schillid.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 1, 2018 23:41

Nice cover for the final edition.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 2, 2018 00:02

Yesterday's papers: Date on cover is Sep. 20, 2017. That's when print edition ceased.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 2, 2018 02:26

Those were the days.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 2, 2018 04:33

bleedingman
Those were the days.

The classified ads are more attractive than body text.smiling smiley

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 2, 2018 20:04

bleedingman
Those were the days.

Beautiful stuff.

Music was so great in that period. The multi-act shows were the best. Technology killed a magical moment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2229
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home