Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Real grand piano - Chuck Leavell
Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: June 29, 2018 23:40

I am wondering why Chuck chooses not to play a grand piano anymore as he did back in 1982. The sound is just different and the feel too and the look. As Stu is not around anymore I do miss the sound of a real piano. Since the rest of the Stones is really vintage (amps, guitars, drums, horns, background singers) this is kind of odd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-30 00:39 by schwonek.

Re: Real grand piano - Chuck Leavell
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 30, 2018 00:13

They're too big and heavy and difficult to move and have to be tuned constantly?

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 30, 2018 00:23

yes to this

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: June 30, 2018 00:40

schillid
They're too big and heavy and difficult to move and have to be tuned constantly?
I totally agree. But nowadays there are more possibilities. And they used to do it all the time: 1975/1976/1981/1982.

Posted by: mikehat ()
Date: June 30, 2018 00:54

It would be nice but I guess it's far more convenient to have the Digital Piano which doesn't require constant maintenance and miking.

Not everyone with a Grand Piano on stage these days is even using a real one.
Elton for instance has a Digital Piano inside an empty Grand Piano. It's just for show.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 30, 2018 01:07

maybe he feels for of the tree it came from ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 999 ()
Date: June 30, 2018 01:28

schwonek
I am wondering why Chuck chooses not to play a grand piano anymore as he did back in 1982.

I once asked Chuck about this and it is actually not his choice.
It is the Stones choice.
It seems they want to keep as much space as possible available for them to move around on stage.
Besides this, the other problem is with the technical difficulty of using microphones to amplify the piano…with the tremendous volume of the guitars, bass, vocals, drums that bleed into the mics, it would make the instrument have a very poor signal to get to the mixing console.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 30, 2018 04:20

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: June 30, 2018 08:50

schwonek
I am wondering why Chuck chooses not to play a grand piano anymore as he did back in 1982.

I once asked Chuck about this and it is actually not his choice.
It is the Stones choice.
It seems they want to keep as much space as possible available for them to move around on stage.
Besides this, the other problem is with the technical difficulty of using microphones to amplify the piano…with the tremendous volume of the guitars, bass, vocals, drums that bleed into the mics, it would make the instrument have a very poor signal to get to the mixing console.

So they could make it work in 1981 but not in 2018?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 30, 2018 10:07

schillid

I don't think so
a.) the Stones have enough money to get anything on stage they want
b.) Bob Dylan (who makes less money) is playing a grand piano since 2012 (and he does many many more shows a year than the Stones do)
see: [www.flickr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-30 10:08 by slewan.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 30, 2018 12:25

Of course they could afford to have a small group of roadies and technicians set up a real grand piano every show, but they probably don't think it's worth it.

IMHO, it would be nice if they did the Elton John thing and used a digital grand piano just to make it look better and more worthy on stage.

Heck, Nicky Hopkins played an upright piano the whole '72 tour and it sounded fine (although Nicky could make almost any piano sound great) and judging by boots it cut through the mix pretty well too. A bit muddy, yes, but so was everything else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-30 12:26 by LieB.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 30, 2018 13:09

anything will sound better than keyboards

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 30, 2018 14:12

Completely agree.
Just check Paradiso ‘95, and hear the added value...

Posted by: Gigbag ()
Date: July 1, 2018 19:47

They would have more space and resources if they did away with the other guy’s keyboards. Fool to cry would be better for it.

Date: July 1, 2018 22:01

schwonek
I am wondering why Chuck chooses not to play a grand piano anymore as he did back in 1982. The sound is just different and the feel too and the look. As Stu is not around anymore I do miss the sound of a real piano. Since the rest of the Stones is really vintage (amps, guitars, drums, horns, background singers) this is kind of odd.

Wasn't it mainly Stu who played the grand piano, with Chuck joining him for a four-handed Twenty Flight Rock?

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: July 2, 2018 01:34

needs to use a nord

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 2, 2018 10:08

A keyboard to fill the holls...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 2, 2018 12:53

And a piano would require someone like Nicky (their best use of a piano player ever, just outstanding live, added o their live sound, in the studio, added to the actual songs etc), Billy (same but in a different way and less but still great and underrated) or perhaps Ian or Ian.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 2, 2018 12:58

NO offense but Chuck, probably extremely important in many ways, didnt replace Nicky or Billy or the Ians. More the equivalent of replacing Mick Taylor with a really good all around guitar tech.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 2, 2018 13:20

The cost is prohibitive , to have it constantly tuned and safely transported which the Stones organization could handle easily but it would be a tremendous hassle .

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 2, 2018 13:59

Because it is a pain in the ass. For all tours except for 1976 the promotor had to arrange a tuned piano for each gig -they didn't travel with a grand piano. Mic'ing it is a problem on those big stages nowadays as well.

The Stones are on of the last big bands to even have amps on stage. These days its all about amps backstage with speakers in baffled cabins, and the musicians having each their own mix in their in-ears. For me it makes it too sterile. Guns and Roses on stage these days is too sterile -they all have in-ear systems, there's no amps on stage anymore, they don't hear the audience clapping or shouting, they don't hear each other unless you say something in a microphone. AC/DC the same.

Mathijs

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 2, 2018 16:14

In my mind, it all comes down to Ian Stewart, who, as an original Stone, was allowed to make decisions on his own. It was him that demanded and, as "road manager" most likely arranged for an acoustic piano to be on stage. I have a feeling that the band viewed it as "his instrument". Chuck is a hired keyboard player. He gets what he is allowed or allotted.

If I had to guess, the current Rolling Stones (the business, et al) have decided that electronic keyboards are adequate for the role they play within the Stones show. While Ian was alive, I imagine that they (the four-five band members) were never given a choice and even if they had been inclined to voice an opinion, they deferred to their original PIANO player on the subject.

Does anyone ever remember seeing Ian Stewart play anything other than an acoustic piano?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: July 3, 2018 06:53

I am really glad that virtually every time that I ever saw The Rolling Stones play live, it was with Ian Stewart playing a real piano, save for one time, when it was Nicky Hopkins playing a real piano.

I guess, you say, that means I haven't seen them play lately. And that is true. I really don't buy their 25-year non-stop greed-tour (with a fake piano).

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 3, 2018 08:18

This is nice,I can finish my thoughts from the new album thread over here.
The reason Chuck doesn’t play a real piano is because in a word -he sucks.
He lacks any musical integrity whatsoever,if you told Stu “well your piano is too large and it’s a hassle to move and it’s a lot of trouble to mic it” they would most likely be surgically removing a golf club from your rectum shortly thereafter.
But this is the modern feel good Stones where a goofy grin and a good attitude keeps your job secure.”thats great Mick” “really good vocal” This is some of your best writing in years”
Just looking at that Casio makes me want to vomit.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 3, 2018 10:34

It's not much more difficult to set up an acoustic piano on stage as it is an electric keyboard. I have worked on the road for several musicians who used an acoustic piano (including Paul McCartney and Billy Joel) and it's a relatively quick and easy set up. The piano travels upright with the legs removed inside one big road case and requires about 4 stagehands to help get it out of the case and onto the stage. The pianos are equipped with custom pickups and electronics and a local piano tech was brought in to tune it before each show. I really don't understand why the Stones have opted not to let Chuck play one. It would improve their sound and would be aesthetically pleasing. Maybe they need Chuck to be able to stand up at an electronic keyboard so he can direct the cues and tempos more easily?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-03 10:52 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Gigbag ()
Date: July 3, 2018 10:37

Saw Elvis Costello last night. Great gig with a grand piano. No technical issues great sound. If he can afford it.....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 3, 2018 15:54

Simple solution - source it locally ala the choir, snooker table, catering, etc.

The Faces did - Mac has a story about destroying one because it wasn't a Steinway.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 3, 2018 16:50

thumbs up
Rockman
maybe he feels for of the tree it came from ……

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: July 3, 2018 17:24

Mathijs
Because it is a pain in the ass. For all tours except for 1976 the promotor had to arrange a tuned piano for each gig -they didn't travel with a grand piano. Mic'ing it is a problem on those big stages nowadays as well.

The Stones are on of the last big bands to even have amps on stage. These days its all about amps backstage with speakers in baffled cabins, and the musicians having each their own mix in their in-ears. For me it makes it too sterile. Guns and Roses on stage these days is too sterile -they all have in-ear systems, there's no amps on stage anymore, they don't hear the audience clapping or shouting, they don't hear each other unless you say something in a microphone. AC/DC the same.

Mathijs

Mathijs I’m not a musician, or music technician. Seen Pearl Jam Sunday in Prague, but I do believe they have amps on stage, but correct me if I’m wrong.
Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-03 18:12 by Christiaan.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 3, 2018 17:32

Never liked his "piano" sound with the stones (no complaints when CL plays organ etc. and I am not discussing the merits of what he plays).

Yet, there is no doubt that Chuck likes it exactly how it is.

For sure he could use an acoustic piano if only he wanted one: I just can't believe that the production cannot afford 200 dollars a gig to rent a piano, that the techs can't mic an acoustic piano, or that there is not enough space for a grand piano on stage.

And I don't think that the problem with how CL sounds is even the lack of a "real" piano: nowadays digital pianos do sound quite good, lots of bands use them and sound good.

C

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1319
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home