Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Promotone Company Nameplate Adorned With Stones Tongue
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: August 7, 2018 16:11

Some remark in times of no tour:-

On a canal cruise, just the other day, I passed by the Promotone Offices at Herengracht Amsterdam, and I noted that the brass company nameplate at the door was adorned by a red Stones Tongue.

There was no time, however, to take a quick snapshot of it, and, from the distance, I could I make out either whether the tongue was just a label that some fan may have stuck there or is it a proper engraving on the nameplate.

Could anyone tell?

Aan de Amsterdamse grachten
Heb ik heel mijn hart for altijd verpand

dead.flowers

Re: Promotone Company Nameplate Adorned With Stones Tongue
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 7, 2018 17:19

I typed in 'Promotone Offices at Herengracht Amsterdam' in google search to see if there are any images, and this video appeared in the search:

Ron Wood to headquarters Promotone BV Rolling Stones in Amsterdam

And this NY Times article from 2007 detailing the Stones' connection to the company:

The Netherlands, the New Tax Shelter Hot Spot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-07 18:13 by bv.

Date: August 7, 2018 17:39

Yeah, that's the place. Looks like they've replaced those name plates by brass ones. What I saw at least was a red tongue on a brass plate on the right hand side of the door up that flight of stairs. When I google for pix of Herengracht 566, I get also pix with brass plates, on dimble.nl and others. Anyhow, what a moment for a Stones fan passing by on a boat to catch sight of a Stones Tongue on the Promotone nameplate.

About the tax deal, I had read about that well before. It's a remarkable deal, and a number of world concerns haved similar deals there. As I saw on TV, there's been public discussion in the Netherlands on such deals since a couple of years already. Don't know, however, what's the outcome of it or what's the present state.

Cheers

dead.flowers

Date: August 7, 2018 18:02

Remember the Black and White Cafe at the Leidseplein? It's not there anymore, but always wondered if the Stones had any affiliation with that as they used to sell merch w/the tongue logo. I spent many hours of fun there before and after Stones shows in the past, and have a few merch items (mousepad, etc.), along with an employee sweatshirt that one of the bar tenders gave me for free!

Here's a video of the last night before it was sold:

"Footage of the last night of rock bar Black & White at the Leidseplein in Amsterdam. It was the place to be since 1975, but the owner sold it. Last night was june 30th 2007".

Black & White Cafe

*My Dutch language speaking ability isn't good enough to understand most of what is being said in video - I only know a few terms my Dutch Grandma taught me when I was a young kid ! winking smiley
But I see the owner is talking about the Stones towards the end....can you translate?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-07 18:13 by bv.

Date: August 7, 2018 18:37

I don't remember the Black & White but many other places. And, well, my Dutch or Amsterdams is quite basic. I'm merely hollandophil.

That much said, the place is not called Black & Blue but Black & White. Anyhow.

What I understand from what the owner says at the end is something like "I didn't expect them to survive, but they survied and I survided and Black & White is actually The Rolling Stones".

Maybe some Dutch user can help further. Jeroen?

And, Hairball, what happened? Your posts got multi-edited by Bjornulf. It's a rather stupid feeling that I have, seeing that the replies to my post get edited, leaving me puzzled as to what was censored in your post.

Cheers

dead.flowers

Enjoy:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 7, 2018 18:41

Great song, IMHO, in the eye of an Amsterdamophile, and a great rendition by that opera singer, what's his name again? And with your posts being edited, Hairball, I can't help but must say I feel like a child that's told you must eat everything but you mustn't know everything. Smile!

EDIT: grammar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-07 18:42 by dead.flowers.

Date: August 7, 2018 18:44

dead.flowers
And, Hairball, what happened? Your posts got multi-edited by Bjornulf. It's a rather stupid feeling that I have, seeing that the replies to my post get edited, leaving me puzzled as to what was censored in your post.

Hmm...I don't know it's a mystery as my posts look identical to the way I originally posted them. Maybe there was a mispelled word or two? smiling smiley

Date: August 7, 2018 18:48

I see my signature has disappeared which has been there for years...surely that wasn't offensive?

"Nothin' to do, nowhere to go.
You're talkin' to people that you don't know."....

Date: August 7, 2018 18:50

That's really funny then. And I had already gotten so curious! smiling bouncing smiley Must be the heat. We're having yet another day of 35° here in Hamburg.

Date: August 7, 2018 18:56

Hairball
I see my signature has disappeared which has been there for years...surely that wasn't offensive?

Just noted this post of yours.

That's indeed curious. I for my part see nothing wrong in those verses.

Is that your own lyrics?

Date: August 7, 2018 19:00

dead.flowers
Hairball

Just noted this post of yours.

That's indeed curious. I for my part see nothing wrong in those verses.

Is that your own lyrics?

No - the Stones' lyrics in the song 'What to Do'...maybe there's a copyright issue?

"I really don't know, I really don't know...."

(more lyrics from same tune) smiling smiley

Date: August 7, 2018 19:11

Ongelovelijk!

I had really forgotten about that number.

But copyright issues? I don't get it.

I myself do regularly quote Stones Lyrics in my posts.

Is that not permissible anymore?

eye rolling smiley

EDIT: Forum in the Times of No-Tour

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-07 19:12 by dead.flowers.

Date: August 7, 2018 19:14

Not sure what the issue is...maybe bv will fill us in?

Ongelovelijk! Added a new word to my limited Dutch vocabulary, thanks. thumbs up winking smiley

Date: August 7, 2018 19:30

I don't want to play with the moderator, for I appreciate his work and love this forum too much. Once before when I complained about some racist post that I quoted to demonstrate what I spoke about, I got erroneously banned myself by the too busy bv. It was difficult enough to explain him and get back on the screen again.

Ongelovelijk! Last week I spent an intensive three days holiday in Amsterdam. And that's the word I used most all the time then! Yeah I like that place ever since 1973 when I was first blessed to be there!

d.f

EDIT: And it is the same word I used all the time during my last Stones gig in Berlin: Unglaublich! Ongelovelijk! Unbelievable! Incredible! Incroyable! What else can you say? The Rolling Stones! PS: And in the Berlin show I even met a veteran of Schüttorf 1995 and outside the show talked even to a lady veteran from Berlin Waldbühne 1965. How else could you call that but ongelovelijk!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-07 19:37 by dead.flowers.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 7, 2018 19:32

It’s with an f, not a v smoking smiley

Date: August 7, 2018 19:42

ONGELOOFLIJK!

Finally a native speaker intervenes, correct?

Bless you Koen!

Dat ik dat nog steeds mag meemaken!

dode bloemen aka d.f

Date: August 7, 2018 20:07

dead.flowers
I don't want to play with the moderator, for I appreciate his work and love this forum too much.

thumbs up

Mystery solved.

Seems there was an issue for those who used google chrome, and when posting video links left a large empty space. I posted the old way out of habit (posting link directly here and removing the "s" from https which appeared invisible unless security disabled), as well as the new way by inserting video link to url. Now will only post with the url. That led to the signature being noticed - taking up space due to the border I had placed there - nothing about censorship. It's about time for a change anyhow, and will come up with something new eventually w/out border and keep it short and sweet.

ONGELOOFLIJK!

(note correct spelling ...and could possibly make for a good signature winking smiley)

Date: August 7, 2018 23:22

Thanks for solving the miracle Hairball.

Thanks to Koen I learned the correct spelling of my favourite Dutch vocabulary. Dank U.

And the coolest signature was discovered:-

Ongelooflijk: The Rolling Stones!

Cheers

dode.bloemen

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 7, 2018 23:50

dead.flowers
Yeah, that's the place. Looks like they've replaced those name plates by brass ones. What I saw at least was a red tongue on a brass plate on the right hand side of the door up that flight of stairs. When I google for pix of Herengracht 566, I get also pix with brass plates, on dimble.nl and others. Anyhow, what a moment for a Stones fan passing by on a boat to catch sight of a Stones Tongue on the Promotone nameplate.

About the tax deal, I had read about that well before. It's a remarkable deal, and a number of world concerns haved similar deals there. As I saw on TV, there's been public discussion in the Netherlands on such deals since a couple of years already. Don't know, however, what's the outcome of it or what's the present state.

Cheers

dead.flowers

The Stones Financial Manager/Accountant, one Jan Favie was indeed interviewed a couple of years regarding the tax arrangements (that are perfectly legal) which mean that organisations like Promotone (and its Directors) pay a very small amount of tax compared to income and profits earned.
If its an EU investigation it will take a long time to enact any changes...if it happens.
The Netherlands were of course one of the original members of the EU...way back in 1958, I think. So not your usual 'off shore' set up.
Promotone...ditto Amazon...ditto Facebook etc.

Date: August 8, 2018 00:25

Legal yes, but ...

Holland is the second biggest tax haven after The Bermudas. And the govt is still promoting that tax evasion model to big international companies. Ikea, Starbucks, Thyssenkrupp, Fiat Chrysler, BASF are all there.

Just the way it is. I am afraid a further discussion would lead into unwanted political talk.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 12, 2018 16:32

Is their London office also displaying the logo?

Date: August 17, 2018 12:20

Koen
It’s with an f, not a v smoking smiley

Incidentally came across this interesting article, Koen.

[onzetaal.nl]

De schrijfwijzen ongelooflijk en ongelofelijk zijn beide goed; ongelovelijk is onjuist, ook al bevat het werkwoord geloven wel een v (en geen f).

De vorm zónder e kan soms net wat deftiger of krachtiger klinken dan die met e: een ongelooflijk wonder is ongelooflijker dan een ongelofelijk wonder. Als we het woord echter willen benadrukken door de lettergrepen afzonderlijk uit te spreken, klinkt on-ge-lo-fe-lijk juist weer krachtiger dan on-ge-loof-lijk.

Met heel speciale nadruk:-

Ongelofelijk: The Rolling Stones!

Doei

dead.flowers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home