Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
OT: What do you have planned for the end of the world?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 22, 2011 08:59

According to certain mythologies, the Mayan calendar coming to an end being one of them, the world will end as we know it in 365 days...Dec. 21, 2012.

How are you planning for the end, and what will the Stones be doing?

Has anyone else done any reading on this? If you you'd like to get up to speed...here is a good overview:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Maybe it is time to invest in that SuperDeluxe Box Set afterall, or the Some Girls Wig Boxset with USB lipstick tube?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-18 00:21 by bv.

Re: What do you have planned for the end of the world?
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 22, 2011 09:32

I'm going to do the same thing I did at Y2K. Drink beer and laugh at all the people who think the world's about to end.

I liked the way a NASA scientist put it on an online Q&A about this, when asked if the world would end when the Mayan calendar ends. He said "Your calendar ends every year on December 31st, has the world ever ended because of it?"

Date: December 22, 2011 09:39

The interesting thing that I had read a while back, was that on Dec. 21, 2012 will be the exact point when our solar system crosses the equatorial plane in the Milky Way Galaxy.

Because of that, there is speculation that there could be things like polarity shifts or magnetic shifts in the earth, as has happened many times in the history of the planet.

What I find facscinating, is that this occurs on the same date that the Mayan's picked.

Don't know why they picked that date nor would I pretend to understand how they've assembled their short, or long count calendars.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 22, 2011 09:54

End of the world? I don't know what I have planned for the end of the week! Definitely a good drink on the way home from work tonight though! God bless you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-22 12:37 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: December 22, 2011 09:55

The Mick can tell us:

Do you see the light
Is the end in sight
I doubt it

Date: December 22, 2011 09:56

treaclefingers
The interesting thing that I had read a while back, was that on Dec. 21, 2012 will be the exact point when our solar system crosses the equatorial plane in the Milky Way Galaxy.

Because of that, there is speculation that there could be things like polarity shifts or magnetic shifts in the earth, as has happened many times in the history of the planet.

What I find facscinating, is that this occurs on the same date that the Mayan's picked.

Don't know why they picked that date nor would I pretend to understand how they've assembled their short, or long count calendars.

Yeah, I've heard that. But some scientists are saying that the equatorial alignment already happened in 1998, not 2012. I'm not going to pretend to understand all of this, but it all sounds like Y2K to me. Lots of people making money off of it, and no reputable scientists are backing any of these claims.

Date: December 22, 2011 09:56

Silver Dagger
End of the world? I don't know what I have planned for the end of the week! Definitely a good int on the way home from work tonight though! God bless you.

So your answer is, "at this point, no plans".

Date: December 22, 2011 10:00

NoCode0680
treaclefingers

Yeah, I've heard that. But some scientists are saying that the equatorial alignment already happened in 1998, not 2012. I'm not going to pretend to understand all of this, but it all sounds like Y2K to me. Lots of people making money off of it, and no reputable scientists are backing any of these claims.

really...1998? I've never heard that. Surely something like that is calculable with a certain degree of accuracy...I mean we're talking about an orbit, not some sort of random event.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: December 22, 2011 10:02

NoCode0680
I liked the way a NASA scientist put it on an online Q&A about this, when asked if the world would end when the Mayan calendar ends. He said "Your calendar ends every year on December 31st, has the world ever ended because of it?"
He is right. There's no proof that the Mayans thought the world would end that date in 2012. It's a load of BS from new age nuts.

Date: December 22, 2011 10:11

tonterapi
NoCode0680
He is right. There's no proof that the Mayans thought the world would end that date in 2012. It's a load of BS from new age nuts.

I agree...that is speculation.

All that they say is that the calendar ends, and a 'new age' begins, or something like that. What I've said is that 'coincidentally', the solar system crosses the equatorial plane of the Milky Way on that date. That doesn't necessarily mean anything either.

I just think it is interesting and has merit for discussion...you have to know that this is going to get very 'topical' this year.

Date: December 22, 2011 10:11

treaclefingers
NoCode0680
treaclefingers

really...1998? I've never heard that. Surely something like that is calculable with a certain degree of accuracy...I mean we're talking about an orbit, not some sort of random event.

It was mentioned in the Wikipedia article you posted, and I read some other stuff on it. The sun is so large that it takes a long time to move across any point in space. The alignment begins and ends over a period of 36 years, with 1998 being the center of it, we're already (supposedly) on the downhill side of it, the "2012 era" as it's called began 18 years before 1998 and ends 18 years after. Search 2012, equatorial alignment, and 1998 and you'll see a bunch of stuff about it, but here is the part of the Wikidpedia article where they talk about it...

"Furthermore, since the Sun is half a degree wide, it requires 36 years for it to precess across any single point. Jenkins himself notes that even given this determined location for the line of the galactic equator, its most precise convergence with the center of the Sun already occurred in 1998, and so asserts that, rather than 2012, the galactic alignment instead focuses on a multi-year period centred on 1998"

Date: December 22, 2011 10:19

The whole thing is speculation for sure...their have been catastrophic events in the history of the planet that have led to mass extinctions, being caused by anything from massive meteorites/asteroids hitting the surface, to magnetic reversals or pole shifts.

I'm not sure there are any explanations for what causes magentic reversals or pole shifts, but I believe that is where the Mayan 'theory' provided a convenient explanation.

Date: December 22, 2011 10:26

treaclefingers
The whole thing is speculation for sure...their have been catastrophic events in the history of the planet that have led to mass extinctions, being caused by anything from massive meteorites/asteroids hitting the surface, to magnetic reversals or pole shifts.

I'm not sure there are any explanations for what causes magentic reversals or pole shifts, but I believe that is where the Mayan 'theory' provided a convenient explanation.

Now, I'm reading this off the NASA site, so take it how you want it, but it says that magnetic reversals is not harmful to life. I'm guessing it could cause some problems, but it's not going to directly harm us. IF, big if, it happens again.

Here are a few tidbits they say about it.

"Another doomsday hypothesis about a geomagnetic flip plays up fears about incoming solar activity. This suggestion mistakenly assumes that a pole reversal would momentarily leave Earth without the magnetic field that protects us from solar flares and coronal mass ejections from the sun. But, while Earth's magnetic field can indeed weaken and strengthen over time, there is no indication that it has ever disappeared completely. A weaker field would certainly lead to a small increase in solar radiation on Earth – as well as a beautiful display of aurora at lower latitudes -- but nothing deadly. Moreover, even with a weakened magnetic field, Earth's thick atmosphere also offers protection against the sun's incoming particles.

The science shows that magnetic pole reversal is – in terms of geologic time scales – a common occurrence that happens gradually over millennia. While the conditions that cause polarity reversals are not entirely predictable – the north pole's movement could subtly change direction, for instance – there is nothing in the millions of years of geologic record to suggest that any of the 2012 doomsday scenarios connected to a pole reversal should be taken seriously. A reversal might, however, be good business for magnetic compass manufacturers."

Question and Answer

"Q: What is the polar shift theory? Is it true that the earth’s crust does a 180-degree rotation around the core in a matter of days if not hours?

A: A reversal in the rotation of Earth is impossible. There are slow movements of the continents (for example Antarctica was near the equator hundreds of millions of years ago), but that is irrelevant to claims of reversal of the rotational poles. However, many of the disaster websites pull a bait-and-shift to fool people. They claim a relationship between the rotation and the magnetic polarity of Earth, which does change irregularly, with a magnetic reversal taking place every 400,000 years on average. As far as we know, such a magnetic reversal doesn’t cause any harm to life on Earth. A magnetic reversal is very unlikely to happen in the next few millennia, anyway."

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: December 22, 2011 10:29

treaclefingers
I just think it is interesting and has merit for discussion...you have to know that this is going to get very 'topical' this year.
It will be topical because people find it fascinating. I can understand that. It's like the Loch Ness monster or bleeding statues of virgin Mary.

Even though most people find this fascinating and nothing more others may be scared for real about it. So it's important to know the two sides of the discussion. As I see it it's self proclaimed new age prophets vs modern day scientists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-22 10:33 by tonterapi.

Date: December 22, 2011 12:40

treaclefingers
Silver Dagger
End of the world? I don't know what I have planned for the end of the week! Definitely a good int on the way home from work tonight though! God bless you.

So your answer is, "at this point, no plans".

Of course. There was a similar armageddon prophecy about a year ago. If it's gonna happen there ain't no point worrying about it. We're all going to be for the high jump.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 22, 2011 12:49

For those who are interested, the "doom" version of the 2012 stories have their roots with an American woman called Nancy Lieder who claimed that extraterrestrials she was in contact with had told her that an undiscovered planet was inbound to the solar system and would enter the inner solar system in 2003, causing "pole shifts" and a planetwide castrophe.

Lieder pinched this idea from the late Zecharia Sitchin who had spent his entire life researching the idea that the ancient Sumerian gods were in fact an ET terrestrial race from a forgotten planet called Niburu that orbits the sun in an unusual elliptic orbit, inclined to the plane and brings it back to the inner solar system approximately every 3600 years. Sitchin's books are very interesting although movements of this undiscovered planet do not accord with our understanding of planetary mechanics - it would have been ejected from the solar system a long time ago.

Well, quelle surprise, nothing happened in 2003 and Lieder then moved the date backwards, claiming that the ETs had given her the wrong date in order to fool the governments of the world and to prevent them from interfering with her revelations.

It has been quite a moneyspinner for "new age" types but I would bet you a Some Girls box set that none of the predictions, good or bad, made by these authors happens in Dec 2012.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 22, 2011 13:12

Prognosticators are SO yesterday.....

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: December 22, 2011 13:24

at the end of year 2012, I will probably watch a bootleg dvd of the Stones tour in USA with one or two beers and will laugh at Nostradamus and company !

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: December 22, 2011 13:43

Well,l just sold my house,quit my job,and got myself a young girlfriend,and its party time for the next 12 months and then BOOM.hot smiley

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: December 22, 2011 14:39

treaclefingers

Could you please explain more in detail the thing with the plane and the milky way? You can use these photos:

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: December 22, 2011 14:48

Y2K was pure 100% man made BS....the planets lining up could very well cause something(not exactly sure just what)time will tell,but,as @#$%& up as the globe is right now nothing would surprise me....

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 22, 2011 14:56

...may the good Lord shine a light on you...

Date: December 22, 2011 15:17

midnrambler
treaclefingers

Could you please explain more in detail the thing with the plane and the milky way? You can use these photos:

This is heading to be a sticky!

Date: December 22, 2011 15:54

treaclefingers

Time is running out for this year. This is the first talk of it I've heard/read from anyone about it this year. Smart people don't go for it. Christian types certainly should not go for it since they're not supposed to believe anything else. The Rolling Stones don't care - they have music to release that we've never heard.

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: December 22, 2011 16:09

The Stones and the watchman will go out on top leaping over the moon to the tune of Jumpin Jack Flash. It will be a gas, gas, gas!

Date: December 22, 2011 16:17

I can tell you one thing I sure as Hell ain't buying anyone Christmas presents or sending out cards before December 22 next year. If things really look grim I'll do an Entwhistle and hole myself up in a hotel room with a couple of teenage crack whores and more coke than my heart can handle.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: December 22, 2011 16:23

All bullshit, check NASA or other scientific publications that debunk every speculation about this 2012 thing.
I have a calendar at home that ends on the 31 of December, should I be scared?
What is worrying is that with all of these pseudo-scientific stuff and speculation there will be some crazy people that will actually think this is happening and who knows what they'll do.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 22, 2011 16:27

stones78
What is worrying is that with all of these pseudo-scientific stuff and speculation there will be some crazy people that will actually think this is happening and who knows what they'll do.

Yeah, like that mass-suicide in San Diego when those people thought they would get on that spaceship that was traveling behind that comet ?

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: December 22, 2011 16:41

End of the world, time to finally try heroin....

ok maybe not.

Date: December 22, 2011 16:54

Edith Grove
stones78

Yeah, like that mass-suicide in San Diego when those people thought they would get on that spaceship that was traveling behind that comet ?

Heaven's Gate.

Personally I would have bailed on that scene as soon as I saw this dude was in charge...

But if that didn't do the trick I DEFINITELY would have bailed when they told me I had to go to Mexico and get castrated so I could live a chaste lifestyle.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1138
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home