Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Interview with Nick Mason, Pink Floyd drummer
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 12, 2018 18:21

Nice read. Got me to wonder if members of legacy bands can ever truly escape their past.

[www.rockcellarmagazine.com]

Re: OT: Interview with Nick Mason, Pink Floyd drummer
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 12, 2018 21:51

dmay
Nice read. Got me to wonder if members of legacy bands can ever truly escape their past.

Nicky hasn't even tried, has he? Until recently, when he formed a band to play Syd Barrett songs, he hadn't really done much of anything at all since the last time he toured with Pink Floyd, 24 years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-13 14:05 by tatters.

Re: OT: Interview with Nick Mason, Pink Floyd drummer
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 12, 2018 21:58

Its extremely hard for members of legacy bands to ever fully escape their past. I can only think of a handful of people that have, and even then its possible they are still more known for their former bands. I'm thinking Sting, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins. It seems like to fully escape it you have to divorce yourself from it when you're not in the band. You've gotta have a catalogue that rivals your past glories, and thats super hard when you're not the main songwriter. Thats why drummers like Nick Mason, or guitar players like Mick Taylor, will always be known for that one thing. And if they did solo shows where they played solo music, 90% of the audience is there to hear Mick Taylor play a Stones song. If you're a guy like Sting though, or Peter Gabriel, who was the principal songwriter, its understandable you could divorce yourself from your past if you kept the streak going. But sometimes not even then. Its not like Mick or Keith would. Same way Roger Waters and David Gilmour never could. Or Robert Plant, try as he might. The examples are endless and its super hard, and then there's also a lot of guys like Nick Mason that would never even try. I appreciate that he's out on tour doing obscure stuff, thats awesome. I think thats the best way to embrace your legacy without it seeming sad or like a money grab. Cause this is something no other member can offer these days.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2208
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home