Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Have the Stones ever slammed their own albums?
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 19, 2018 10:36

I was thinking about this a while ago, about how for instance Pink Floyd (Roger Waters) has called some of their circa-1969 albums "crap", and how Black Sabbath hates the guts out of Never Say Die, even though fans mostly like it (?), which is probably mostly because they had such a lousy time making it. Rock history is full of albums being hated by their own creators.

Yet I can't really think of the Stones saying really bad things about any of their albums. Keith perhaps slammed Satanic, didn't he? Mick Taylor said GHS and IORR were worse than Exile, and Mick has downplayed the qualities of Exile because everybody else loves it so much. Bill – always speaking the "truth" with grumpy candor – never really said any of their albums were crap, did he? Charlie said he never listens to them or keeps track of them...

Maybe it's just not their style to care enough or be hostile towards their own material like some other artists?

Re: Have the Stones ever slammed their own albums?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 19, 2018 11:15

> Have the Stones ever slammed their own albums? <

Recently - a little bit .... winking smiley

[www.YouTube.com]

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 19, 2018 11:40

I remember Mick saying “Oh I hate that @#$%& album” - Think it was about TSMR. I believe it’s in the book called It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: July 19, 2018 11:53

It pissed me off seeing MJ throwing those records about

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 19, 2018 12:22

Sir Michael has always had some distance to his work. Almost as if he was ashamed of it. He doesn't care which songs were on which album. And generally doesn't like to talk about the past.
Some think this distance and indifference is cool. What makes a rock star. But I would imagine fans spending steep money on all these re-issues looking at this carelessnes with some dismay.
I mean if someone did this to their collection he would be in trouble...

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 19, 2018 12:30

Mick also said years ago he did not understand all the fuss about Exile.
Keith said it would have been a killer album if released as a single record instead of a double.

I kinda agree

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 19, 2018 12:30

JumpingKentFlash
I remember Mick saying “Oh I hate that @#$%& album” - Think it was about TSMR. I believe it’s in the book called It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll.

But he also said while being interviewed walking on a beach in the '80s that he really liked 2000 light years and 2 years later it was in the Steel Wheels/urban Jungle setlist....

Date: July 19, 2018 12:36

Stoneage
Sir Michael has always had some distance to his work. Almost as if he was ashamed of it. He doesn't care which songs were on which album. And generally doesn't like to talk about the past.
Some think this distance and indifference is cool. What makes a rock star. But I would imagine fans spending steep money on all these re-issues looking at this carelessnes with some dismay.

Stoneage, have you seen the 'Being Mick' documentary?.........There's a scene in that which I reckon completely undermines this 'cool carelessness'.......He has a room in his house where everything (outtakes etc) is stored meticulously......

Also, he remembers all the lyrics but can't remember which album the song is one - "what album is this on Bill? - BS - I'd call him out on that.......

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 19, 2018 15:43

I seem to recall Mick being dismissive of Betweem the Buttons.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 19, 2018 15:45

Mick said something to the degree of "not a very special record" about Dirty Work during his great 1995 interview with Jan Wenner.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: July 19, 2018 15:51

Doc
Mick also said years ago he did not understand all the fuss about Exile.
Keith said it would have been a killer album if released as a single record instead of a double.

I kinda agree

I remember reading interviews with Jagger in the past where he was dismissive and or luke warm to Exile on Main Street and stated something to the effect that its reputation was overblown.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: July 19, 2018 17:17

Big Al
I seem to recall Mick being dismissive of Betweem the Buttons.

Between The Buttons (is my least favorite Stones album. I didn't like n)one of it. I can't even remember doing it.

(That album) I never really liked. (Back Street Girl)'s the only decent song. The rest of it is more or less rubbish. (Connection is also) a good one, but other than that it's a terrible album. That's when I started getting otu of the pop thing and leaving all that behind.

- Mick Jagger, 1969

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-19 17:21 by stanlove.

Date: July 19, 2018 17:46

EddieByword
Stoneage

Stoneage, have you seen the 'Being Mick' documentary?.........There's a scene in that which I reckon completely undermines this 'cool carelessness'.......He has a room in his house where everything (outtakes etc) is stored meticulously......

Also, he remembers all the lyrics but can't remember which album the song is one - "what album is this on Bill? - BS - I'd call him out on that.......

Maybe, Eddie. But look at that (above) video clip for instance. What is he doing? Throwing those records around like they had no value whatsoever....
Is this good PR? I mean the poor fans pay steeply for this and probably treats the product as a holy grail. How much is that set by the way?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 19, 2018 18:02

Stoneage
EddieByword
Stoneage

Maybe, Eddie. But look at that (above) video clip for instance. What is he doing? Throwing those records around like they had no value whatsoever....
Is this good PR? I mean the poor fans pay steeply for this and probably treats the product as a holy grail. How much is that set by the way?
A lot of his cool indifference I feel is a calculated psychological mechanism.

I think Mick is sensitive of criticism, so he "pre criticizes" his own work so that when others do, it has less of a sting because, in his own mind, he's already criticized it.

Does that make sense? I have the same sensitivity. I'll write something for work and give to someone to look over and say, "This probably sucks but take a look at it and let me know what you think" just to inoculate it from their criticism.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: July 19, 2018 18:02

I think Mick throwing the albums is more of a way to show self distance and humbleness. Maybe if he treated the records like they were made of gold it would come across as self righteous.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 19, 2018 18:31

Keith doesn't like A Bigger Bang:

"I don't know if we got the tracks in the right order or something like that. Sometimes, it can make the difference on a record, the way it flows".

And Charlie wasn't too keen on the title of ABB:

"I'm not a great lover of the title for this tour and record, but what it conjures up is fantastic, and that's what sold me".

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: July 19, 2018 19:32

EddieByword
JumpingKentFlash

But he also said while being interviewed walking on a beach in the '80s that he really liked 2000 light years and 2 years later it was in the Steel Wheels/urban Jungle setlist....

If it s the interview on the beach where a little girl interrupts asking him to sign her t-shirt, he says TSMR was a "lovely album".

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 19, 2018 19:34

I think both Mick and Keith weren't too enamoured with Undercover.

Keith also said that Goats Head fell short of the mark, and that Black & Blue was rehearsing guitar players.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 19, 2018 19:46

I have a book on the Stones by David Dalton that has a newspaper article depicted from circa 1977, in which Mick "admits" (sic) "that Black And Blue wasnt very good".

I tend to agree with him. Still there's some hot stuff on it so to speak.

And of course Brian dismissed the then recent music they put out before Beggars Banquet as 'commercial garbage' or words to that effect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-19 19:49 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 19, 2018 20:25

amazing how band members can diss so much of their own work. why make it in the first place then. many of us would love to have a tenth of what the stones have.

Date: July 19, 2018 20:43

Stoneage
EddieByword
Stoneage

Stoneage, have you seen the 'Being Mick' documentary?.........There's a scene in that which I reckon completely undermines this 'cool carelessness'.......He has a room in his house where everything (outtakes etc) is stored meticulously...............

I haven't watched that but will now.........well, maybe that's the point though, a blase act.......or.........................he's taken the John Lennon line and it's genuine..............."It's just a song".................I don't know but either way, come on Stoneage, he's not exactly being keith Moon is he?.............grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-19 21:15 by EddieByword.

Date: July 19, 2018 20:47

Harlem Shuffler
EddieByword
JumpingKentFlash

If it s the interview on the beach where a little girl interrupts asking him to sign her t-shirt, he says TSMR was a "lovely album".

I'm not sure, I don't remember a little girl but that doesn't mean there wasn't one, could be..........but even if he was sarcastic about TSMR at a point he still put 2000 LYs in.......so he must genuinely like that.....imo it was great fit too...........brave choice and really notched the Stones up a gear.........(imo.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-19 21:04 by EddieByword.

Date: July 19, 2018 21:57

I wonder who got that LP-set in the end? And if any of the vinyls survived? It's 425 Euro by the way on the RS homesite. I looked it up...

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 20, 2018 01:20

Which was the Decca compilation that the band put the ad in the paper saying something to the effect that it was below their standards? More Hot Rocks? Stoneage? No Stone Unturned? Metamorphosis?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 20, 2018 01:24

WHOOOPS …. Yeah!!!!!!!...…… it was Stoneage …..

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-22 01:23 by Rockman.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 20, 2018 01:47

In the past I thought Mick’s album opinions were primarily shaped by sales numbers. However that may not be the case today - maybe for obvious reasons.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 20, 2018 22:47

Hairball

"I don't know if we got the tracks in the right order or something like that. Sometimes, it can make the difference on a record, the way it flows".

"I'm not a great lover of the title for this tour and record, but what it conjures up is fantastic, and that's what sold me".

Keith on ABB on FaceBook today

"I had a great time with Mick putting this thing together; there's this sort of effortless Rock n' Roll friendship that comes across in the writing" Keith Richards.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 20, 2018 22:59

mtaylor
Hairball

Keith on ABB on FaceBook today

"I had a great time with Mick putting this thing together; there's this sort of effortless Rock n' Roll friendship that comes across in the writing" Keith Richards.
[www.facebook.com]

Evidently Keith is not immune to contradicting himself!

Though I suppose there's a difference in disliking the order and flow of the album vs. his positive working relationship with Mick during the process of making the album.
Hopefully they can revisit that positive vibe for the new album, but so far that remains to be seen.

Date: July 21, 2018 10:58

Rockman

Stoneage, wasn't it?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 21, 2018 12:50

Yes, with graffitti wall ala Beggars.

Nice trolling by those Decca peeps.

Edit: I see it reached number 4 in UK, A golden era indeed. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-21 12:52 by His Majesty.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1748
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home