Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT: Country music
Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: December 17, 2011 19:34

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 17, 2011 19:38

Alot if the artists you see listed above are categorized as "Americana" now which is what you should seek out. What is considered New Country out of Nashville now is a buncha bullshit spit out by the machine just as bad as any pre-programed pop or rap. Thats not to say there is not great music in Nashville but dont listen to "Top 40" Country and expect to find it. As far as that goes I dont think theres been any real country since the late 70s.....

Date: December 17, 2011 19:50

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: December 17, 2011 19:53

rangerdave
I started off with Stones-connected artists like the Flying Burrito Brothers and Gram Parsons. Try 'Hot Burritos! Anthology 1969-1972' which features the first 3 Burritos albums in their entirety, plus outtakes etc. Both Gram Parsons' albums ('GP' and Grievous Angel')are available as a twofer, or you could spend a little more on Rhino's deluxe 'Complete Reprise Sessions'. In a similar vein are The Byrds 'Sweetheart Of The Rodeo' and The International Submarine Band's 'Safe At Home'.....

Well, Gram Parson, definitely Georgia product, so yes, GP, Flying Burritos and Emilylou Harris, Parson's sidekick basically, still singing... Here in the US, country music is so prevalent, I have always loved the all night trucking shows, all the country classics, Grand Ol' Oprah. I do think a pivotal figure is Johnny Cash though in time, Merle Haggard may have had the best.

Hank Williams will always be sort of the Elvis Presley of country though I'd say. In a way it starts with him though of course, the music existed already, the Wabash Cannonball, etc. Rockabilly is closely allied to country, maybe not Gene Vincent but Johnny Cash is called rockabilly too.

Date: December 17, 2011 20:00

Also, reruns of Hee Haw? Anywhere? Really that's not a bad venue or some other old shows, Porter Waggoner's had Dolly Parton on it before she became, ahem, Big, I mean as faar as being a star! Other old shows, Country Jamboree, Hootenany, Louisiana Hayride.

Date: December 17, 2011 20:08

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 17, 2011 21:13

Lets see:

1. Jerry Lee Lewis: Killer Country 1968 - 1978

2. Jerry Lee Lewis: Rockin' My Life Away: contains 39 & Holdin, Over The Rainbow, I Wish I was 18 Again.

3. Teatro - Willie Nelson

4. Johnny Cash - Man In Black 1955 - 1958 Boxed Set - Contains all the Sun recordings and his first sessions for Columbia

5. John Prine: Great Days

6. Ray Charles: Country Sessions Boxed set (1959 - 1986) - Contains Modern Sounds Vols 1 & 2, plus his intermittent country recordings since then.

7. Solomon Burke : Nashville

8. Kris Kristofferson - The Essential

9. Charlie Rich: Pictures & Paintings - country meets after hours jazz. A brilliant album

10. Loretta Lynn: Van Lear Rose

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 17, 2011 21:26

Good topic. The Bakersfield harmonies and arrangement of the Stones got you interested. The true country is folks like Conway Twitty and Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton and Grand ole Opry crowd. Not my cup of tea but got to check out the Dolly's version of the collective soul song "Shine". The whole record of hers it very palatable coming from a rock background.

Can't go wrong with Jimmy Reed or Flatt and Scruggs if the pickin is what gets you.

About as country as I go these days is acoustic , country bluegrass outfits like Nickel Creek. They have some beautiful harmonies and good playing. Somewhat cliche but extremely well performed. Chris T. on mandolin has become somewhat of a phenom. in the musician circles these days. Their first record is a worth the purchase price. peace.

Date: December 17, 2011 21:44

Date: December 17, 2011 21:45

Date: December 17, 2011 21:46

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 17, 2011 22:09

Rollin' Stoner

ray's great. and with a mug like that, you better be....

Date: December 17, 2011 22:24

StonesTod
Rollin' Stoner

ray's great. and with a mug like that, you better be....
lol...all those old country singers...no matter what they looked like, dressed up like there was no tommorow

Date: December 17, 2011 22:33

Yeah, in todays country market theres so much put on the posing and appearance they wouldnt have wanted to give guys like Buck, George and Lefty a chance! My friend Tommy Womack wrote a song "When Country Singers Were Ugly( Guys Like Me Had A Chance) which about sums it up nicely...

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: December 17, 2011 23:16

Gram Parsons / Flying Burrito Brothers
Waylon Jennings
Old Crow Medicine Show
Steve Earl
Merle Haggard
New Riders of the Purple Sage
Willie Nelson (Red Headed Stranger and Phases and Stages are essential)
Jonny Cash
Hank, Hank Jr and Hank III
The Byrds - not just Sweetheart of the Rodeo but also try live at the Filmore
Everly Brothers - esp Roots
Charley Pride (if you can find it, live at Panther Hall)
David Allan Coe
George Jones
Emmylou Hrris

Those are my tips...

Date: December 17, 2011 23:23

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: December 17, 2011 23:25

<<start with jimmie rodgers and the carter family...where it began>>

Personally I'd add guys like Buell Kazee, Blind Alfred Reed and Eck Robertson for
the old stuff. Not forgetting Charlie Poole & The North Carolina Ramblers

For a Stones connection, The Singing Ranger Hank Snow is worth
checking out, as they covered his I'm Movin' On

Date: December 17, 2011 23:25

and you gotta admit...country lyrics are the best....and some of them don't even need lyrics but just the title alone tells the story, like one of my fave george jones songs: I'm Learning to Stand on My Own Two Knees

Date: December 17, 2011 23:29

Date: December 17, 2011 23:52

Willie Nelson? To all the girls I've loved with Willie Nelson? Ever hear that? Even Blue Skies, Sioux City Sue? Man, I'd much rather listen to George Straight, Yeah, Willie might be better than Garth, big consolation.

Dwight Yoakam would probably appeal to rock and roll fans in general as well.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: December 18, 2011 00:02

Miranda Lambert is a contemporary country / and country rock, while still sticking to her country roots... She is awesome...reminds me of Carlene Carter from the 80s ( June Carter Cashs daughter). She even does a great version of Dead Flowers.... "White Liar" is a must to listen to by Miranda...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 18, 2011 00:15

I just love Carlene Carter's quote - "I put the c unt in country!"

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 18, 2011 00:23

One more heart felt steel guitar chord I believe is gonna do me in...but check out Dale Watson and the Texas Two.

He'll show you around the place a bit.

[www.dalewatson.com]

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: December 18, 2011 00:29

Silver Dagger
I just love Carlene Carter's quote - "I put the c unt in country!"

eye popping smiley !! I believe her parents were in the audience when that was said! eye popping smiley

Date: December 18, 2011 00:32

Date: December 18, 2011 00:43

Date: December 18, 2011 00:47

bob r
You cant go wrong with any of these:

1) Any Johnny Cash Greatest Hits collection

2) Merle Haggard's greatest hits collection "Hag"

3) Any George Jones Greatest Hits collection

4) Anything by Willie Nelson, especially "Red Headed Stranger"

5) The Byrds 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo"

6) Loretta Lynns Greatest Hits

this plus anything by waylong jennings, dwight yoakam and david allen coe. make sure the george jones collection you get has "who's gonna fill their shoes". that song will break your heart

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 18, 2011 00:55

tatters
StonesTod

it's better to start at the beginning and work your way forward, doncha think? it gets very confusing otherwise...and some of these songs will start to sound really silly or something...or something....

I would start with country-rock. Byrds. Flying Burrito Brothers. Poco. Then I would work my way backwards from there into real country music. If you start off by listening to something from the 1920s or 1930s, it's too much of a culture shock. Same with blues. I would listen to 1950s Muddy Waters before trying to get into Robert Johnson.

I think Tatters is right on this, I didn't start with Robert Johnson or Willy Dixon first, I started with The Stones, Animals and Them and then I try to figure out where this music came from (although I didn't know this music had roots in '67), so if you want to know what country is start with the popular things from the radio and work your way back to the roots.

Date: December 18, 2011 01:20

Miranda Lambert????? Good grief.....

Date: December 18, 2011 01:35

NICOS
tatters
StonesTod

it's better to start at the beginning and work your way forward, doncha think? it gets very confusing otherwise...and some of these songs will start to sound really silly or something...or something....

I would start with country-rock. Byrds. Flying Burrito Brothers. Poco. Then I would work my way backwards from there into real country music. If you start off by listening to something from the 1920s or 1930s, it's too much of a culture shock. Same with blues. I would listen to 1950s Muddy Waters before trying to get into Robert Johnson.

I think Tatters is right on this, I didn't start with Robert Johnson or Willy Dixon first, I started with The Stones, Animals and Them and then I try to figure out where this music came from (although I didn't know this music had roots in '67), so if you want to know what country is start with the popular things from the radio and work your way back to the roots.

you people cheat. cheat, cheat, never beat....or something.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1819
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home