Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: OT: Billy Joel Says U2 Has Additional Musicians Playing Under The Stage
Date: January 3, 2012 23:42

It is funny how U2 really gets to some people. I can't stand a lot of things yet I don't pay those things any mind. It's one thing to at least acknowledge even silently that U2 has done what they've done and blah blah record tour, money, sales, etc and the same with other bands versus the Stones.

For some it's a competition, for others it's a wonder.

How many people do Mick Jagger and the Stones piss off?

Hilarious. This place is always entertaining - and is always entertaining.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: January 20, 2012 10:30

I just watched the official 360°Tour DVD the other night.

During "Unknown Caller" Bono shouts "Terry Lawless, on the Hammond organ, underneath the stage", while the screen shows Terry L. playing that organ live, as Bono said, underneath the stage.

Nobody can blame them for "secretely using additional players", as they're not making any secret out of it.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 20, 2012 13:42

I say that Billy Joel is a tedious blubber lump trying and failing to stir the sh!t. He's probably just envious of U2's success and influence.

Posted by: JerkyLittleGIJoe ()
Date: July 14, 2013 08:07

Hey, I never thought the Stones used hidden musicians but as I was watching Live at the Max on AXSTV, you can clearly see someone playing keyboards during YCAGWYW. Mick starts down the right side of the stage and the bright spot light clearly shows the hidden player behind the black mesh. They already have Chuck And Matt Clifford on keyboards already?!. sad smiley

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: July 14, 2013 08:39

MKjan
Billy Joel Says U2 Has Additional Musicians Playing Under The Stage

As if there were any musicians at all on the stage to begin with.

Hahahaha! There definitely aren't any real musicians on a U2 concert stage and there never was. It's just a singer doing karaoke mostly.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: July 14, 2013 08:47

Even EXTRA musicians can't help U2 from sucking!

Very Overrated!

I won't even get started on Bono!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: 6s7s9s ()
Date: July 14, 2013 08:57

They got this idea from the "Andy Griffith Show" when Andy hid the tenor singer backstage and had Barney sing into a dead mic.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 14, 2013 09:16

Going to a Go Go...this is like feeding meat to lions. Best post ever on this site. Do they sleep in the hotel parking lot too?

Date: July 14, 2013 09:37

Father Ted
I say that Billy Joel is a tedious blubber lump trying and failing to stir the sh!t. He's probably just envious of U2's success and influence.

when billy joel toured full time and released albums he was much more popular in the USA then U2 ever was here. joel has outsold U2 in the states by like 30 million album

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 14, 2013 12:32

keefriffhard4life
joel has outsold U2 in the states by like 30 million album

Not by that much.

I believe you're comparing the gold & platinum certifications. Like his Greatest Hits is certified 23x platinum. Which are actually 11,5 million shipped (it's a double album).
U2 has no double albums. So there's no deduction with their sales.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 14, 2013 12:53

I used to listen to U2 in the early to mid-80s--before I found out the real music of the 80s, like PiL and Echo & The Bunnymen, and so on.

U2 only sounded innovative and fresh to middle class listeners of mainstream radio who were too naïve or restricted to find out what was really happening in music.

I wonder what "the Edge" would really sound like as a guitarist if you could take away the big facade of effects boxes and pedals he hides behind to cover up the fact that he really doesn't have anything creative to offer as a musician--he'd probably sound like that frustrated kid in his bedroom who never got past the opening chords to My Generation.

Date: July 14, 2013 13:06

BowieStone
keefriffhard4life
joel has outsold U2 in the states by like 30 million album

Not by that much.

I believe you're comparing the gold & platinum certifications. Like his Greatest Hits is certified 23x platinum. Which are actually 11,5 million shipped (it's a double album).
U2 has no double albums. So there's no deduction with their sales.

still though he was at one point much bigger then U2, at least here in the states. remember joel really only made albums from 1971-1994 and has done very little since then as he retired from pop/rock music.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: July 14, 2013 15:58

stonehearted
I wonder what "the Edge" would really sound like as a guitarist if you could take away the big facade of effects boxes and pedals he hides behind to cover up the fact that he really doesn't have anything creative to offer as a musician--he'd probably sound like that frustrated kid in his bedroom who never got past the opening chords to My Generation.

If you've ever seen "It Might Get Loud" he gives a little demonstration of how one of his riffs is basically just hitting two notes and letting the effects pedals do all the work. I used to kind of dislike him until I saw that movie, but he appears to be appropriately humble concerning his skills. He knows he's no guitar God, he knows that he's all effects and pedals, and much like myself he was confused why he was asked to be in the movie. He's innovative in his own way, I personally couldn't hear those two notes and say "I've got something there" and fiddle with effects until it actually sounded like something good, but I'm not sure that qualifies him for the high spots he gets on those greatest guitar player lists. But he seems like a decent fella. If he acted like he was some hot-shot player I'd probably hate him, but he knows what's up. I enjoy some U2 music, I loved Pop when I first bought it in high school, War is a good one, I just don't listen to them daily.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 14, 2013 17:39

NoCode0680
stonehearted

If you've ever seen "It Might Get Loud" he gives a little demonstration of how one of his riffs is basically just hitting two notes and letting the effects pedals do all the work. I used to kind of dislike him until I saw that movie, but he appears to be appropriately humble concerning his skills. He knows he's no guitar God, he knows that he's all effects and pedals, and much like myself he was confused why he was asked to be in the movie. He's innovative in his own way, I personally couldn't hear those two notes and say "I've got something there" and fiddle with effects until it actually sounded like something good, but I'm not sure that qualifies him for the high spots he gets on those greatest guitar player lists. But he seems like a decent fella. If he acted like he was some hot-shot player I'd probably hate him, but he knows what's up. I enjoy some U2 music, I loved Pop when I first bought it in high school, War is a good one, I just don't listen to them daily.

Pretty silly. If you try playing some of his riffs (bad, sunday, kite, bullet) you'd quickly realize the man has great talent. Plays damn good slide too...c'mon

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 14, 2013 23:38

stonesdan60
Maybe there's something the Stones should have considered if Mick insisted on having all those singers and horns along to better recreate the studio versions. I might not mind all the hired help if I didn't have to SEE them. Seeing all those extras for the first time in'89 put a damper on my idea of what a Stones concert should look like. I just want to see THE STONES onstage and focus on them; maybe the piano player and Bobby Keys could be allowed to be seen. Although I prefer the sound of the stripped down Stones ala '78, I'll say they do still sound pretty damn great live. I just hate when the cameras focus on the extras instead of the Stones. Good idea U2. Keep the hired help hidden and out of the way! winking smiley *much of prior post said with tongue firmly in cheek....but semi-serious. take it however you please*

From the 1970s on the Stones have always had their 'hired help' on stage, for example on the 1976 tour there were Ollie Brown on percussion (who did a lot of the drumming!), Billy Preston on keyboards and Ian Stewart on piano. In 1972/73 the keyboard players (Nicky Hopkins/Billy Preston) and the horn section was also on stage. Why should the y hide them? It was no big deal for me, and it is more exciting if you see the players on stage, be it the band members or the guest musicians.

Date: July 15, 2013 00:56

It's always the same... U2... Love'em or hate'em.

Great band. The Edge is a very talented guy.
You don't have to be able to play 27 notes in 2 seconds to be a great guitarist.
The man has his own style and sounds. Actually quite a unique guitarist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-15 00:58 by BowieStone.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 15, 2013 05:21

U2 is a great live band.

The Edge plays to compliment the song, not showcase his guitar skills.

Plenty of players use effect pedals, but when The Edge plays you know it's him.

He has his own sound.

He's an original, like Keith with the 5 string, open tuning rock chords.

You can go to any bar and hear rediculously good guitar players who will spend the rest of their careers playing pubs.

Why? Because they have nothing "original" to play or say.

Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton clones who can hit every note under the sun.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: July 15, 2013 05:28

Munichhilton
NoCode0680
stonehearted

Pretty silly. If you try playing some of his riffs (bad, sunday, kite, bullet) you'd quickly realize the man has great talent. Plays damn good slide too...c'mon

I can play Sunday Bloody Sunday, it's a great song but it's not that difficult. Because I'm not that great of a guitar player.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 15, 2013 05:31

beachbreak
U2 is a great live band.

The Edge plays to compliment the song, not showcase his guitar skills.

Plenty of players use effect pedals, but when The Edge plays you know it's him.

He has his own sound.

He's an original, like Keith with the 5 string, open tuning rock chords.

You can go to any bar and hear rediculously good guitar players who will spend the rest of their careers playing pubs.

Why? Because they have nothing "original" to play or say.

Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton clones who can hit every note under the sun.

That's a beyond legitimate point. There are a lot of excellent guitar players, regardless of the genre, that are out there that will never "amount" to anything ie become famous. Chances are they have jobs and make decent money and playing guitar is fun - and they're good at it. Sometimes better than ANY guitar player you've ever heard in the world regarding whatever. Hell, maybe ALL genres.

Some have stage fright but can get up on the Sunday night blues jam and play some SRV or whoever note for note and hide behind whoever or whatever.

It's one thing to be great at playing the guitar. It's a night and day difference to be able to face people town to town and get along with other people to actually play guitar.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 15, 2013 06:50

True GasLightStreet.

It takes an incredible amount of courage to come out and play in front of thousands of people.

I think about this sometimes, you are scheduled to play at a stadium and you wake up feeling really sick, so sick you wouldn't even get out of bed to go to an office job, yet the show must go on so you take to the stage an "bring it" like the Stones have always done.

Their job is not as easy as they make it appear.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: July 15, 2013 08:04

NoCode0680
TornAndFried
I found this rare soundboard recording of U2 playing "Magnificent" on David Letterman in 2009 without all the reverb, guitar effects and electronic razzmatazz that you usually hear in the mix when they play live. Perhaps now you can understand why they employ a keyboarist to help flesh out their live sound.

I would bet that's fake. Maybe the band sounds like that, but the vocals are comically bad, and I would bet that's not really Bono's voice. I don't think Bono is one of the best vocalists ever, but he CAN sing better than that. I think somebody is having some fun with us there.

Yes, it's fake. It's not just the vocals. Listen to the drums go off rhythm and the guitar badly out of tune. grinning smiley Well done though.

Date: July 15, 2013 15:13

TimeIs
NoCode0680
TornAndFried
I found this rare soundboard recording of U2 playing "Magnificent" on David Letterman in 2009 without all the reverb, guitar effects and electronic razzmatazz that you usually hear in the mix when they play live. Perhaps now you can understand why they employ a keyboarist to help flesh out their live sound.

I would bet that's fake. Maybe the band sounds like that, but the vocals are comically bad, and I would bet that's not really Bono's voice. I don't think Bono is one of the best vocalists ever, but he CAN sing better than that. I think somebody is having some fun with us there.

Yes, it's fake. It's not just the vocals. Listen to the drums go off rhythm and the guitar badly out of tune. grinning smiley Well done though.

Obvioulsy a fake but wow, hilarious nonetheless! EVERYTHING is bad! Wow. Double kicks, the bass plays wrong notes. Not sure which was funnier, the guitar playing horribly or the horrible singing. That must've taken some work to do ha ha.

Date: July 15, 2013 15:24

I can't believe people actually think this is real.
That's even more funny than the video itself.

Date: July 15, 2013 15:28

BowieStone

You think TornAndFried was being serious? Hard to tell. Seemed tongue in cheek to me, a "rare soundboard recording" from the David Letterman show is ridiculous to begin with!

Date: July 15, 2013 15:46

GasLightStreet
BowieStone

You think TornAndFried was being serious? Hard to tell. Seemed tongue in cheek to me, a "rare soundboard recording" from the David Letterman show is ridiculous to begin with!

I can't believe people actually think TornAndFried was serious.

(Now in both cases...I win)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-15 15:47 by BowieStone.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 15, 2013 15:49

I guess this is just another take on Murphy's law: If there is a way of faking it, it will be utilized. Sooner or later. Even on singback gigs there is faking going on.
On the ESC (European Song Contest), which is singback, they have additional singers under the stage. And it's not even denied...

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 15, 2013 15:51

The last tour Red Hot Chili Peppers did with John Frusciante on guitar they had a guy behind the amps playing guitar & keyboards. I could clearly see him from where I was sitting. Worked out well for him though. He's the new guitar player now. I haven't seen them since then but it would boggle the mind if they were doing the same now. Aerosmith used to use extra musicians too. They were kind of hidden. I'd rather have that than tapes.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 15, 2013 20:12

At least (when I saw them) U2 introduced the musician hidden under the stage.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 15, 2013 21:40

beachbreak
True GasLightStreet.

It takes an incredible amount of courage to come out and play in front of thousands of people.

I think about this sometimes, you are scheduled to play at a stadium and you wake up feeling really sick, so sick you wouldn't even get out of bed to go to an office job, yet the show must go on so you take to the stage an "bring it" like the Stones have always done.

Their job is not as easy as they make it appear.

Yep, it's a dirty job and someone's gotta do it...joking aside I was thinking the same at O2/1 in November when Mick was struggling to get people into "I wanna be your man", looking back from the front of the pit, so pretty much his view, and it was...err..scary. Better not stop in your tracks and keep workin' it! Then at the foot of the catwalk on the 13th, he had tens of thousands of people going crazy in front of him...better not to stop think about it either, eh?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 16, 2013 02:55

One thing I must say: I decided at the last minute to go to the 360 tour. Paid $60 for a $30 ticket. The seat turned out to be perfect & it was the best stadium show I've ever seen. The sound was near perfect & the presentation made it feel like you weren't in a stadium but still had some spectacle. & I've seen the Stones several times in stadiums. In fact, the Stones stole the 2nd stage concept from U2. They were doing it on the Achtung Baby tour in the early 90s. Although musically they aren't the Stones, I think U2 are a fine band.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1724
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home