Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: OT: Billy Joel Says U2 Has Additional Musicians Playing Under The Stage
Date: December 17, 2011 20:42

Palace Revolution 2000
ok so is it effects or people under the stage?

Both.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 17, 2011 20:51

letitloose
melillo
doesnt rush use these type of effects also? the answer is yes btw

Please elaborate. When I saw Rush they pretty much handled everything as a 3 piece. they don't have hidden musicians, and last time I saw them the only "effect" was when Geddy played some keyboard line which subsequently repeated on a loop. have you seen Rush live?

You got it. RUSH is and always was a trio. To suggest otherwise is the epitome of laughing out loud. Every note coming from the stage is accounted for. The men are extreme examples of virtuosos on each of their instruments. From Taurus pedals to keyboard loops triggered by the feet, its all done by them except the lights and pyro.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 17, 2011 20:52

i read that these are the guys helping U2 out, out of sight, under the stage

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 17, 2011 20:52

Isnt the U2 tour over now? Come on Billy, next time you're gonna blow the whistle, do it before the deal is done winking smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 17, 2011 20:57

It seems to me that playing under a stage would violate OSHA regulations. Therefore, any musical assistance must originate from behind the stage.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: December 17, 2011 21:05

Yeah...........and U2 still sucks..........

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: December 17, 2011 21:23

1cdog

Welly, welly well, at least they are still a touring band and there's no bs about a tiny todger so U2 fans

are probably busy catching shows rather than bitchin' about artist they don't fancy at all.

Date: December 17, 2011 21:28

The Stones
1cdog

Welly, welly well, at least they are still a touring band and there's no bs about a tiny todger so U2 fans

are probably busy catching shows rather than bitchin' about artist they don't fancy at all.

True...and there's likely very little 'suckage' if 50 billion of it can be sold

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 17, 2011 21:29

Jah Paul
Billy's correct...U2's keyboard player under the stage is Terry Lawless.

Right on Jah! Kudos to the guys with grace playing the parts with no credit! peace.

Date: December 17, 2011 21:49

Naturalust they do get credit. This whole thing is bogus.
Even Sting had a bass player (Danny Quatrochi) on Walking On The Moon backing him on the Synch tour.

U2's 'understage' band is fully credited at the end of the movie U2 360 Live. Terry Lawless's name is followed by 'keyboards'. How is that hiding anything?
The other support musicians are credited with Audio Support or the actual instrument they are using or teching. Its in the Tour guide - its everywhere.
Any good band has 'support'. In the case of U2 they don't have anything but themselves on stage so they hide all support and teching looping and programs under the stage as there is no backstage when its 360 degrees.

If the Stones didn't want Blondie playing his acoustic onstage he would do it from backstage or behind.

This is not groundbreaking rock n roll news. I am also not a U2 fan, just a respecter of their achievements...

Damn hard to put anything anywhere but under this stage:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-17 21:54 by Munichhilton.

Date: December 17, 2011 22:00

Chris Fountain
It seems to me that playing under a stage would violate OSHA regulations. Therefore, any musical assistance must originate from behind the stage.

A stage is not a construction site ie a building.

Date: December 17, 2011 22:07

Munichhilton
Naturalust they do get credit. This whole thing is bogus.
Even Sting had a bass player (Danny Quatrochi) on Walking On The Moon backing him on the Synch tour.

U2's 'understage' band is fully credited at the end of the movie U2 360 Live. Terry Lawless's name is followed by 'keyboards'. How is that hiding anything?
The other support musicians are credited with Audio Support or the actual instrument they are using or teching. Its in the Tour guide - its everywhere.
Any good band has 'support'. In the case of U2 they don't have anything but themselves on stage so they hide all support and teching looping and programs under the stage as there is no backstage when its 360 degrees.

If the Stones didn't want Blondie playing his acoustic onstage he would do it from backstage or behind.

This is not groundbreaking rock n roll news. I am also not a U2 fan, just a respecter of their achievements...

Damn hard to put anything anywhere but under this stage:

Not to mention that as far as I'm aware U2 has never overdubbed any live recording, for a record or a video...

How come no one like Billy Joel has ever bitched up a storm that the cowbell for Honky Tonk Women is a sample of the recording ie "not real", the "percussion" for SFTD, the "harmonica" for Miss You, all on the Steel Wheels tour, yet alone the silly loop for Gimme Shelter on the Licks tour...

Date: December 17, 2011 22:11

At least the Stones have all the backing musicans visable and on stage....

Date: December 17, 2011 22:12

That's weak.

Date: December 17, 2011 22:16

No, U2 is weak!

Date: December 17, 2011 23:13

Nope.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 17, 2011 23:28

its good to be anywhere
At least the Stones have all the backing musicans visable and on stage....

Not always.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 17, 2011 23:37

Munichhilton
letitloose
melillo

Please elaborate. When I saw Rush they pretty much handled everything as a 3 piece. they don't have hidden musicians, and last time I saw them the only "effect" was when Geddy played some keyboard line which subsequently repeated on a loop. have you seen Rush live?

You got it. RUSH is and always was a trio. To suggest otherwise is the epitome of laughing out loud. Every note coming from the stage is accounted for. The men are extreme examples of virtuosos on each of their instruments. From Taurus pedals to keyboard loops triggered by the feet, its all done by them except the lights and pyro.

thats pretty much what i said

Date: December 17, 2011 23:39

Gazza said:
Not always.
Please explain.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 17, 2011 23:40

I have a group of people underneath my computer desk who bolster my posts by telling me correct spellings, interesting things to say, and colorful phrases.

Date: December 17, 2011 23:49

its good to be anywhere
Gazza said:
Not always.
Please explain.

Well, for example, they've used backing singers singing offstage at the Superbowl.

And on the occasions where Blondie has filled Keith's guitar sound out by playing the electric guitar (as opposed to playing acoustic ONSTAGE) he's tended to do it from the wings. I've personally seen it with my own eyes, on occasions where my seat has been down to the side and its been possible to witness it thanks to the angle from the seat to the side of the stage.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 17, 2011 23:52

Gazza
its good to be anywhere
Gazza said:
Not always.
Please explain.

Well, for example, they've used backing singers singing offstage at the Superbowl.

And on the occasions where Blondie has filled Keith's guitar sound out by playing the electric guitar (as opposed to playing acoustic ONSTAGE) he's tended to do it from the wings. I've personally seen it with my own eyes, on occasions where my seat has been down to the side and its been possible to witness it thanks to the angle from the seat to the side of the stage.

That is so lame Gazza...next your going to be saying Mick colours his hair.

Date: December 17, 2011 23:53

treaclefingers
Gazza
its good to be anywhere
Gazza said:
Not always.
Please explain.

That is so lame Gazza...next your going to be saying Mick colours his hair.

I wouldnt dare!!

Posted by: erikjjf ()

On the ABB tour, Blondie played electric guitar on Jumping Jack Flash, Start Me Up, Get Off Of My Cloud, Before They Make Me Run, Wanna Hold You and a few others. Mostly in full view on the main stage, unless it was during the B-stage part, or during the first couple of songs of the show (when also Lisa and Bernard were singing behind the amps).

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()

ok Bono...we'll do it we'll do it!

Date: December 17, 2011 23:57

erikjjf
On the ABB tour, Blondie played electric guitar on Jumping Jack Flash, Start Me Up, Get Off Of My Cloud, Before They Make Me Run, Wanna Hold You and a few others. Mostly in full view on the main stage, unless it was during the B-stage part, or during the first couple of songs of the show (when also Lisa and Bernard were singing behind the amps).

Thats the bit I'm referring to, Erik - yes.

Date: December 18, 2011 00:20

Gazza said:

Well, for example, they've used backing singers singing offstage at the Superbowl.And on the occasions where Blondie has filled Keith's guitar sound out by playing the electric guitar (as opposed to playing acoustic ONSTAGE) he's tended to do it from the wings. I've personally seen it with my own eyes, on occasions where my seat has been down to the side and its been possible to witness it thanks to the angle from the seat to the side of the stage.

O.K. Thanks.Those are good examples. With the exception of the one off Detroit Super Bowl gig that you mentioned, its not like the Stones are normally using hidden back up musicans through out the majority of the concert every night of the tour or anything like that. At least I've never seen them do it or heard or read about it anywhere before.

Date: December 18, 2011 00:42

melillo
Munichhilton
letitloose
melillo

thats pretty much what i said

Pretty much? Cool

Date: December 18, 2011 00:51

its good to be anywhere
Gazza said:

Well, for example, they've used backing singers singing offstage at the Superbowl.And on the occasions where Blondie has filled Keith's guitar sound out by playing the electric guitar (as opposed to playing acoustic ONSTAGE) he's tended to do it from the wings. I've personally seen it with my own eyes, on occasions where my seat has been down to the side and its been possible to witness it thanks to the angle from the seat to the side of the stage.

O.K. Thanks.Those are good examples. With the exception of the one off Detroit Super Bowl gig that you mentioned, its not like the Stones are normally using hidden back up musicans through out the majority of the concert every night of the tour or anything like that. At least I've never seen them do it or heard or read about it anywhere before.

Like erik said, its happened on the b-stage on the last tour (although he's right to correct my suggestion that Blondie DOES occasionally play electric onstage).

It has been a topic of conversation on here before (and even heated argument as some people wanted video evidence as proof - although quite why anyone would go to the trouble of filming Blondie playing guitar when Mick is running about is lost on me), but I guess it just hasnt been mentioned much publicly as its not really a major issue.

Personally, I've no major problem with it, whether its U2 or the Stones. Its not as if we're paying lots of money to watch them mime.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 18, 2011 01:27

GravityBoy

The horse's mouth.

What is he trying to say with this .......................your fans are so stupid..............I just fooled you......................confused smiley
listen to this and you know what real music is

PS
And if the Stones had people Under The Stage, it was because that passed out ..had to pee....or some groupie was waiting ...and that's is clean R&R

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home