Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: OT: Billy Joel Says U2 Has Additional Musicians Playing Under The Stage
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 17, 2011 10:04

trainarollin

All funny and true.

However, Bill never wrote "One" or "With or without you".

Date: December 17, 2011 10:36

The horse's mouth.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 17, 2011 10:37

GravityBoy

The horse's mouth.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about earlier, it's from "It Might Get Loud". At least he knows he's not a guitar god.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 17, 2011 11:13

That's a bit rich coming from a man who's ripped off Elton John wholesale.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 17, 2011 12:15

I'd prefer Chuck Leavell under the stage...or even at home.

Date: December 17, 2011 13:01

It's time to start loving U2 again. These guys have never been arrogant, seems like they have tried to be honest; they just provoke such venom in us.

Date: December 17, 2011 13:07

Palace Revolution 2000
It's time to start loving U2 again. These guys have never been arrogant, seems like they have tried to be honest; they just provoke such venom in us.

Well Bono does have borderline messianic tendencies which he tries to deflect with humour, the others are OK enough though.

I think Adam is a good no nonsense bassist, Larry is a great drummer and Edge is good at what he does which is crafting sounds.

They've written some great classic stuff that will definitely stand the test of time.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: December 17, 2011 14:07

Great, Johnny One Note is finally unmasked and found to be a charlatin.Someone should tell the clowns at Rolling Stone magazine,Johnny was in the top 5 guitarists list about 10 years ago,ahead of our beloved Keith and Mick Taylor.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: December 17, 2011 14:29

Max'sKansasCity
BILLY JOEL OUTS U2 LIVE ACT
.... The U2 camp has not commented on Joel's bombshell

Is this really a "bombshell"?... more like a firecracker.. lady finger?

People have been doing this reinfroced stage sound for years... Look at Rush, there is no way can they reproduce all those sounds in their songs with 3 people live on stage

95% of what you hear at a Rush gig is them live. There are NO additional musicians. I think last time I saw them they had a keyboard effect on a loop during one song and that was it. Geddy will play keyboards live and still get the Bass sound through foot pedals. they take huge pride in this.

U2 is a different thing altogether. When I saw them live I wasn't even convinced all the vox were live, and there were guitars and keyboards coming out of everywhere. Shit band. Always hated them. Got offered a free ticket, and it just reinforced what I always thought.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: December 17, 2011 14:38

tatters

12/16/2011

Is there more to a U2 show than just the four members of the Irish band? Billy Joel says there's more than meets the eye. During a lecture and performance this week at the University of Massachusetts-Lowell, Joel told the crowd that "Bono's gonna kill me for this..." before saying that when he attended a U2 show in New York he learned that additional musicians were underneath the stage supporting the quartet. U2's use of supporting players, not unlike Pink Floyd during the 70s, has long been rumored but never openly reported. The U2 camp has not commented on Joel's bombshell.

Maybe there's something the Stones should have considered if Mick insisted on having all those singers and horns along to better recreate the studio versions. I might not mind all the hired help if I didn't have to SEE them. Seeing all those extras for the first time in'89 put a damper on my idea of what a Stones concert should look like. I just want to see THE STONES onstage and focus on them; maybe the piano player and Bobby Keys could be allowed to be seen. Although I prefer the sound of the stripped down Stones ala '78, I'll say they do still sound pretty damn great live. I just hate when the cameras focus on the extras instead of the Stones. Good idea U2. Keep the hired help hidden and out of the way! winking smiley *much of prior post said with tongue firmly in cheek....but semi-serious. take it however you please*

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 17, 2011 14:41

tatters

12/16/2011

Is there more to a U2 show than just the four members of the Irish band? Billy Joel says there's more than meets the eye. During a lecture and performance this week at the University of Massachusetts-Lowell, Joel told the crowd that "Bono's gonna kill me for this..." before saying that when he attended a U2 show in New York he learned that additional musicians were underneath the stage supporting the quartet. U2's use of supporting players, not unlike Pink Floyd during the 70s, has long been rumored but never openly reported. The U2 camp has not commented on Joel's bombshell.

Yeah but the band is great live nevertheless. Bono sings great, the band plays great and if they use help its not because u2 sucks.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: December 17, 2011 14:47

tatters

12/16/2011

use of supporting players, not unlike Pink Floyd during the 70s

Pink Floyd never hid their supporting players.

Before 1977 they only included chick backup singers and a saxophonist.

When second guitarist Snowy White joined the live group in 1977, he stood right next to Gilmour and played solos.

For the Wall tour, the "surrogate band" was part of the show. That was the 1980s anyway.

WTF?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-17 14:49 by Zack.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 17, 2011 14:52

The use of extra musicians is of course fine, the whole let's hide them out of sight thing is wonky though.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: December 17, 2011 14:54

Oh well, great bands have used various tricks to enhance the live sound. I don't think Led Zeppelin ever did, but consider The Who. In an era when anything not actually played live was detested, Townshend insisted that tapes of his intricate synth parts be used onstage because he felt they'd be impossible for someone to recreate live and they were an essential part of the song's musical stucture. Granted, songs like Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again do need those parts. I'll forgive Townshend for using tapes just because I think he's a freaking creative wizard and those synth parts are his own work....Totally unrelated, I remember seeing Heart many years ago and was rather amused to hear a lot of keyboard parts with nobody onstage but two guitars, bass and drums. Tapes? Hidden player? Lots of bands cheat.

Date: December 17, 2011 14:57

pike bishop
Great, Johnny One Note is finally unmasked and found to be a charlatin.Someone should tell the clowns at Rolling Stone magazine,Johnny was in the top 5 guitarists list about 10 years ago,ahead of our beloved Keith and Mick Taylor.

what was "unmasked"? the edge doesn't go around acting like he's great and he can't help where other people rank him on some list

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 17, 2011 15:23

stonesdan60

Maybe there's something the Stones should have considered if Mick insisted on having all those singers and horns along to better recreate the studio versions. I might not mind all the hired help if I didn't have to SEE them. Seeing all those extras for the first time in'89 put a damper on my idea of what a Stones concert should look like. I just want to see THE STONES onstage and focus on them

What if Mick, Keith, Charlie, and Ronnie wore matching shirts next time so you can spot them more easily?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 17, 2011 15:27

For God's sake, take off that stupid beanie. Everyone knows you're bald under there.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 17, 2011 15:32

Max'sKansasCity
Look at Rush, there is no way can they reproduce all those sounds in their songs with 3 people live on stage.

Ha ha ha

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 17, 2011 15:33

71Tele
Was Billy Joel drunk at the time?

Hey!
That house came out of nowhere

Date: December 17, 2011 15:40

tatters

For God's sake, take off that stupid beanie. Everyone knows you're bald under there.
Hah Ha Ha! LOL

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 17, 2011 17:01

doesnt rush use these type of effects also? the answer is yes btw

Date: December 17, 2011 17:04

Palace Revolution 2000
tatters

Hah Ha Ha! LOL

ok so is it effects or people under the stage?

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: December 17, 2011 17:50

melillo
doesnt rush use these type of effects also? the answer is yes btw

Please elaborate. When I saw Rush they pretty much handled everything as a 3 piece. they don't have hidden musicians, and last time I saw them the only "effect" was when Geddy played some keyboard line which subsequently repeated on a loop. have you seen Rush live?

Date: December 17, 2011 17:53

71Tele
I have a bit of a problem with anyone over the age of 25 calling himself "The Edge", but hey, that's just me...

I don't recall exactly but I don't think he came up with his nickname.

Date: December 17, 2011 17:54

geddy uses the same type footboard as the edge from what ive seen , and for the record i love rush this is not a bashing and i dont want to start a war of words

Date: December 17, 2011 17:55

TornAndFried
Jah Paul
Billy's correct...U2's keyboard player under the stage is Terry Lawless.

Terry Lawless has been playing backing keyboards for U2 on the last 3 tours going back to 2001. He has a keyboard station set up underneath the stage and follows the band via video monitors and headphones. They have brought him up on the stage from time to time and Bono has acknowledged him by name on occasion so it's not a really big secret...just something the band prefers to keep low-key. They found it better to have a live musician adding these extra parts rather than doing it by computer so they could have more flexibility with the tempos and song arrangements. He often counts off the tempos (similar to Chuck Levell) and triggers some of the recorded backing tracks to some songs to supplement the live sound. Terry is the only additional musician that U2 uses, and I should note that Edge plays all of his onstage piano parts himself. [www.terrylawless.com]

See? No big deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-17 17:56 by WeLoveToPlayTheBlues.

Date: December 17, 2011 17:59

ok fine it is what it is, so u2 uses effects and extra musicians?

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 17, 2011 18:03

I thought that U2 used samples and loops during the shows.Bono even said so.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 17, 2011 20:27

stonesdan60
tatters

12/16/2011

Maybe there's something the Stones should have considered if Mick insisted on having all those singers and horns along to better recreate the studio versions. I might not mind all the hired help if I didn't have to SEE them. Seeing all those extras for the first time in'89 put a damper on my idea of what a Stones concert should look like. I just want to see THE STONES onstage and focus on them; maybe the piano player and Bobby Keys could be allowed to be seen. Although I prefer the sound of the stripped down Stones ala '78, I'll say they do still sound pretty damn great live. I just hate when the cameras focus on the extras instead of the Stones. Good idea U2. Keep the hired help hidden and out of the way! winking smiley *much of prior post said with tongue firmly in cheek....but semi-serious. take it however you please*

When I saw the Stones on the Steel Wheels tour for the first time along with the extra singers, horns, keyboards, etc, I didn't know what to make of it. My initial reaction was that they sold out. However, upon hearing the then "new" arrangements of songs like You Can't Always Get What You Want & Gimme Shelter with all the subtleties and nuances thrown in just like the recorded versions, I changed my own tune (so to speak). At that time, I liked the more professional sound. For me, it added something to the Stones live performances.

I was recently re-reading Bill German's Under Their Thumb and in one of the chapters, German reported that it was Jagger who wanted the Stones to play their hits to resemble the recorded versions which was more a less a business decision,rather than for artistic reasons. German summed it up aptly: "He (Jagger) learned that the way to reach the vastest audience (referring to Jagger's solo tour in 88), not just hardcore Stones freaks, was to play the hits the way people remembered them. Don't ask people to indulge the Stones' onstage idiosyncrasies, and don't assume the Stones' unpolished sound would be endearing."

Relating back to this particular thread, as music fans we know that of the several artists mentioned (Who, U2, Pink Floyd), they have produced great works in the studio that aren't easily replicated on stage without utilizing technology and/or having additional personnel to recreate said music. Haven't the Stones best studio works (Exile on Main Street,Aftermath, Let It Bleed) benefitted from additional layers (marimba, dulcimer, extra guitars, female vocalists) that have made those records classics? I guess my long winded point is, you can't have it both ways-meaning, I would rather have all the additional players on stage TO BE SEEN, rather than hidden away somewhere like you're trying to hide something or deceive your audience. Just my two cents.

Date: December 17, 2011 20:40

windmelody
I thought that U2 used samples and loops during the shows.Bono even said so.

I don't know why you still think that when it's been a fact for quite some time.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1694
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home