Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Just Play em Like On Ya Yas Boys
Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: June 1, 2018 18:21

I was watching the Sweet Summer Sun / Hyde Park show the other day and it struck me how retarded a song like Sympathy For The Devil has become over the years compared to the amazing versions heard on Get Yer Ya Yas Out. Why don't they just play it like that? 2 guitars, drums and bass. And the guitar lines they play in these current versions are just childish and un-musical compared to the perfect simple guitar lines on Ya Yas. I just don't get it. Do they not know how good they sounded on the '69 and '72 tours? Can they not remember those classic, simple guitar lines? I can't believe they're physically or mentally incapable of playing these songs properly. The guitar parts on Ya Yas are not that damn complicated. Any reasonably competent guitar player can replicate those versions, which are the best versions they've ever played "live". I just don't f@@king get it. I quit. I'm out.

Re: Just Play em Like On Ya Yas Boys
Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: June 1, 2018 18:31

Yes!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 1, 2018 18:40

Good idea...kick Ronnie,Darryl and the rest of the stage musicians out,take Bill and Taylor back...forget the last 49 years and case closed.
Easy...isn't it ?

Did I or you miss something ?

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 1, 2018 19:02

There is no need of Taylor and Bill to play the rythm and lead licks that Keith played in that time.
The other excuse is thay they are in their 70s and that we must be happy to have them doing tours and playing live
But when they were 50s they did'nt too. Anyway 89/90 ,approach was also very very great

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: June 1, 2018 19:40

shortfatfanny
Good idea...kick Ronnie,Darryl and the rest of the stage musicians out,take Bill and Taylor back...forget the last 49 years and case closed.
Easy...isn't it ?

Yeah. You definitely missed it. I'm not suggesting changing out any key players. I'm talking about the arrangements, specifically the guitar parts. They perfected the live versions of a lot of these songs back in '69 and '72 yet they act like that never even happened. These new versions sound like they were arranged by a high school garage band. Absolutely dreadful.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 1, 2018 19:57

Bands evolve, whether we like it or not. Just go play YaYas. I know I will on my commute home!

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: June 1, 2018 20:06

I think it's pretty simple: They're 75 years old. They physically can't play their catalog the way they used to.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: June 1, 2018 20:12

The Old Timers around here will say that the last time the Stones had that basic sound was in '81/'82. Even then there was a "thinness" to the sound. Even '72 has a rather thin sound.

There is just something about the raw basic power of the '69 sound and thank god it was captured and preserved forever. I don't really care about the tweaks and overdubs. Just look at the way JJF hits you in the chest.

It's a metaphor for life in a way. Things come together and really gel for a year or two and then they disappear.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 1, 2018 20:28

Let's see y'all perform in your mid-70s like you did in your mid-20s. Can't be done, though Michael Phillip gives it a noble try.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 1, 2018 20:39

You'll miss them when they're gone. What is wrong with you people????

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 1, 2018 20:43

That band no longer exists. But it left one of the most compelling and enduring examples of recorded RnR music ever. Ya-Ya's never lets me down even after all these years. It is even better now that you can assemble a complete show from the deluxe edition's extra tracks.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 1, 2018 21:02

It would've been great if in '69 they could've played em like on Rolling Stones Now!

Too have a full, rich recorded live document of those first three albums would have been perfect.

Those early live recordings don't do their early performances justice.

But alas, by '69, they could no longer play like they did in '65.

Date: June 1, 2018 21:10

stonehearted
It would've been great if in '69 they could've played em like on Rolling Stones Now!

Too have a full, rich recorded live document of those first three albums would have been perfect.

On Air was a pretty good document?

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: June 1, 2018 21:15

pmk251
That band no longer exists. But it left one of the most compelling and enduring examples of recorded RnR music ever. Ya-Ya's never lets me down even after all these years. It is even better now that you can assemble a complete show from the deluxe edition's extra tracks.

thumbs up

Date: June 1, 2018 21:28

Observant listeners have already noted that the SFTD licks still are being played today, albeit inconsistently..

Date: June 1, 2018 21:30

DandelionPowderman
stonehearted

But Ya Yas was in stereo.

Date: June 1, 2018 21:33

stonehearted
DandelionPowderman
stonehearted

The Camden-tracks, too thumbs up

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 1, 2018 23:42

Bungo
shortfatfanny
Easy...isn't it ?

Yeah. You definitely missed it. I'm not suggesting changing out any key players. I'm talking about the arrangements, specifically the guitar parts. They perfected the live versions of a lot of these songs back in '69 and '72 yet they act like that never even happened. These new versions sound like they were arranged by a high school garage band. Absolutely dreadful.

Fair enough...if you think they sound like shit you better move on...

Date: June 2, 2018 00:01

shortfatfanny
Easy...isn't it ?

No,you're absolutely to the point. Unfotunately we don't have a time capsule spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 2, 2018 00:20

DandelionPowderman
stonehearted
DandelionPowderman
stonehearted

Yes, all four of them. smiling smiley

Be that as it may, the whole point of my post was to highlight that in '69 they could no longer play in the same way as they did around '65.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 2, 2018 00:24

I loved the way they played back in '69.........if they played the same way in 2018 they wouldn't exist anymore.

Date: June 2, 2018 00:50

stonehearted
DandelionPowderman
stonehearted
DandelionPowderman
stonehearted

Yes, all four of them. smiling smiley

Be that as it may, the whole point of my post was to highlight that in '69 they could no longer play in the same way as they did around '65.

True

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 2, 2018 00:58

It started, obviously, in 1989 with SFTD because Mick wanted them to sound like the records. Here's Keith with that as well:

Over the years, you develop a simplified road version of a song that you get used to. But this time, we thought, Let's go back and listen very carefully to the records to find what we were originally going for when we made it. All the subtleties and the half bar jumps. We thought we ought to do the songs up proud and have the things that were on the record. And once you go back and research what you did, you say, Well, the reason we did it like that is because we had these voices or because we had these horns. That's why we have the enlarged line-up. Tumbling Dice without the voices is kind of bare.

[timeisonourside.com]

Fortunately they completely changed SMU.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 2, 2018 01:01

Besides, they couldn't SOUND like that if they wanted to, regardless of playing the songs like that.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 2, 2018 01:14

They could play SFD and the other tracks live with just guitar, bass, drums and maybe a keyboard.

They could do it now just like then but at a slower pace.

That 1969 sound was very full, partly due to the cranked Ampeg stacks they used.

That sound will not be duplicated with Fender tweed amps, nor do they want it to, or they would use them or ones similar.

The songs and playing have evolved over the years into the current configuration.

They sound great now just different to back then.

I prefer the scaled back, fuller sound of '69 too, but the Stones don't (I presume).

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: June 2, 2018 01:37

SFTD on Ya Ya's is arguably their best ever "live" track. I would love to see them recreate that '69 version in a smaller venue, but the current SFTD version (especially on this tour where its improved) works well in stadiums.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 2, 2018 02:24

I can't imagine them playing the stripped down version from 1969 in today's configuration for big stadiums.
Also it's difficult to compare the drier mix from GYYYO to the mix drown in echo from Sweet Summer Sun.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 2, 2018 03:41

Bungo
I was watching the Sweet Summer Sun / Hyde Park show the other day and it struck me how retarded a song like Sympathy For The Devil has become over the years compared to the amazing versions heard on Get Yer Ya Yas Out. Why don't they just play it like that? 2 guitars, drums and bass. And the guitar lines they play in these current versions are just childish and un-musical compared to the perfect simple guitar lines on Ya Yas. I just don't get it. Do they not know how good they sounded on the '69 and '72 tours? Can they not remember those classic, simple guitar lines? I can't believe they're physically or mentally incapable of playing these songs properly. The guitar parts on Ya Yas are not that damn complicated. Any reasonably competent guitar player can replicate those versions, which are the best versions they've ever played "live". I just don't f@@king get it. I quit. I'm out.

Whoa the boys were coked up on Ya Yas and played it speed style punk rockish before there was any punk rock Ramones etc.. This was a few decades ago. This will never happen again. But we need some Ya Yas outtakes if there are any left, they prolly binned them or over wrote the tapes..

Not saying good or bad but Ya Yas is of a past time, so well past that it might as well be Frank Sinatra live at The Sands or Jack Jones.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-02 03:45 by triceratops.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 2, 2018 09:13

GasLightStreet
It started, obviously, in 1989 with SFTD because Mick wanted them to sound like the records. Here's Keith with that as well:

Over the years, you develop a simplified road version of a song that you get used to. But this time, we thought, Let's go back and listen very carefully to the records to find what we were originally going for when we made it. All the subtleties and the half bar jumps. We thought we ought to do the songs up proud and have the things that were on the record. And once you go back and research what you did, you say, Well, the reason we did it like that is because we had these voices or because we had these horns. That's why we have the enlarged line-up. Tumbling Dice without the voices is kind of bare.

[timeisonourside.com]

Fortunately they completely changed SMU.

That was a kind of novel idea back in 1989 to reconstruct the originals on stage, but it turned out to be a blueprint for all the tours ever since, one cannot talk much about 'evolvement' since 1989, but more like how well they manage in that reconstruction policy.

Compare that to what Jagger says in regards to BRUSSELS AFFAIR (while promoting it) - he sounded amused how "fast" the versions were back then. That makes an impression Mick is no any way related to the way band sounded back then. There is no absolutely way to go back...

- Doxa

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 2, 2018 13:42

3 of the 5 guys playing what you hear on ya yas are no longer with the band.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home