Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11
LIVE ALBUM TALK: Love You Live
Date: January 15, 2016 13:54

LOVE YOU LIVE

Rolling Stones Records (WEA)
U.S. Release date: September 15, 1977
U.K. Release date: September 16, 1977

Track list:

Honky Tonk Women
If You Can't Rock Me / Get Off of My Cloud
Happy
Hot Stuff
Star Star
Tumbling Dice
Fingerprint File
You Gotta Move
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Mannish Boy
Crackin' Up
Little Red Rooster
Around and Around
It's Only Rock 'n Roll
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Sympathy for the Devil

What are your thoughts on this live album?

Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Love You Live
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 15, 2016 14:01

It's been said before, but I reckon the first album of this set to be the Keith album
and the second to be the Mick album.
The first disk is all groovy riffs. Mick is a bit over-acting his role as a singer,
but aren't these guitars brilliant (as well as the rythm session of course).
The Mocambo part shows us Mick as a true entertainer, relaxed but his singing is so
much better to enjoy than on the first disk. The band, of course, is doing fine, but here
Mick is the big star.
And the last side, with at the time fresh sounding war horses is how it should be done.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: January 15, 2016 14:16

side 4 is fantastic, but i would have loved to hear street fighting man instead of sympathy as last song (like in the paris 76-video)

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 15, 2016 14:17

Wow, Marcovandereijk - for me the Mocambo side is all about the guitars.
Mick is splendid too, but ... the guitars! the guitars! the guitars!

Most of this album was made under such extraordinary circumstances -
that June 6th 76 Aux Abattoirs show is the source of a lot of it, and then of course Toronto 77.
I know lots of people here are bugged by Mick's enunciation (or lack thereof) in a lot of the numbers
but that doesn't bother me at all - we all know the words, and that jazzed-up skinny little frontman cat
don't need no stinkin' consonants to keep shakin' it up as a rhythm instrument - which is what I love best about him.

Chet Flippo (love & light!) wrote one of my favourite paragraphs ever about Keith at the El Mo on March 5th:

"Keith Richards, who had no blood in his veins anymore and whose soul had been stained blacker than black
by the same spirits that anointed the legendary Robert Johnson, glowed with an internal combustion
that I'm not sure any scientist in the Western world could identify, or would want to.
As if there were any possibility that this could have been the last Rolling Stones concert ever,
Keith reached into his back pocket or somewhere for licks and notes he surely had not hit in years,
and in Jumping Jack Flash he seemed to have transcended his smack addiction
and sounded again as if he was wired directly into some pulstaing black hole in space.
He played good is what I mean to say and when Keith is on, ain't nobody can touch him."

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 15, 2016 14:26

My first Stones album, still my favorite!

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: January 15, 2016 14:33

(I know it's heavily overdubbed but still...)

Love You Live

(for me)

is the best Rolling Stones live album

the perfect mythical Rolling Stones live experience.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 15, 2016 14:39

Side 3 absolute killer but I always found the quality of the recordings on the other sides somewhat mushy.

I saw 5 of the 6 gigs at Earls Court in 76 and found them pretty exciting - but that excitement wasn't really captured on Love You Live. They would have been better putting out the whole of the El Mocambo show.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: January 15, 2016 14:41

Dear Rolling Stones!

Please release the uncut, unedited whole Mocambo !!!
(both)

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 15, 2016 14:48

agreed...please release it....El Mocambo sounds as fresh and alive today as the first time I heard it...

Date: January 15, 2016 14:50

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-15 14:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 15, 2016 14:52

Dear Rolling Stones!

Please release the uncut, unedited whole Mocambo !!!
(both)

Some of those songs are considerably better with the overdubs (Crackin' Up and Mannish Boy). But, by all means, release it! thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 15, 2016 14:55

NOW we're talkin' Live-albums!

It's Smashing from the beginning to the very end...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: CMH516 ()
Date: January 15, 2016 15:03

I always had a hard time getting by Mick's refusal to attempt to sing on sides 1,2, and 4. The mumble/ shout combo was just really bad. The musicianship, however, was awesome. Charlie is amazing.

El Mocambo just blew me away. Think back to how "plastic" and cheesy pop music was in 1977 and imagine hearing Mick's harmonica solo on Mannish Boy or Keith ripping it up on Around and Around. I vividly remember feeling "damn- real music IS still alive somewhere" after side 3 ended.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 15, 2016 15:15

It's already been said, but "El Mocambo"!!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 15, 2016 15:58

This album keeps getting better with time, the Universal release has a real nice sound to it!! Love the Tumblin' Dice intro…….

Could easily get the Deluxe treatment

Which side is El Mocambo?? grinning smiley

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 15, 2016 16:04

THIS:
'If You Can't Rock Me / Get Off of My Cloud'

THIS:
'Hot Stuff'

THIS:
'Fingerprint File'

That's my current trio. That's some tasty/ nasty rebel yell. 10, 10, 10.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: January 15, 2016 16:06

My favourite version of SFTD. Easily.

Love the songs from El Mocambo.

Otherwise....Mick ruins most of the songs with his antisinging.

Date: January 15, 2016 16:16

Some of the best versions ever of HTW, You Gotta Move, Hot Stuff, Fingerprint File, all the El Mocambo tracks, IORR, IYCRM / GOOMC, SFTD, Happy and Star Star. I like Mick's singing on all those tracks as well.

Great live album! Little Red Rooster, Crackin' Up, Around And Around and Mannish Boy show the Stones at their very best, imo. thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 15, 2016 16:23

DandelionPowderman
Some of the best versions ever of HTW, You Gotta Move, Hot Stuff, Fingerprint File, all the El Mocambo tracks, IORR, IYCRM / GOOMC, SFTD, Happy and Star Star. I like Mick's singing on all those tracks as well.

Great live album! Little Red Rooster, Crackin' Up, Around And Around and Mannish Boy show the Stones at their very best, imo. thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Yes DP, exactly them songs...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: z ()
Date: January 15, 2016 16:49

Come On
DandelionPowderman

Yes DP, exactly them songs...thumbs up

Yes CO, exactly yes DP...thumbs up

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: January 15, 2016 18:01

yes i like it very much
I remember I bought it in Abingdon while I was 14 years old in 1977
it's a wonderful souvenir to me.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 15, 2016 18:12

was my first stones tape in 1987, took me a while to get into it, some performances seemed a bit weak but it grew on me over time and is an important live album in the stones catalogue.

sympathy for the devil was an excellent performance as was star star and jj flash.

the album also shows how different the band had become since the early days and the brian jones era in total.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 15, 2016 18:13

I lived in Arizona for a year when I was 14 in '77/'78, and this was one of a small stack of albums I brought with me to endure the boredom - it was ingrained in my brain.

Also brought Hot Rocks, Exile, Some Girls, Hendrix's Rainbow Bridge, Cry of Love, and Electric Ladyland, Zep's Physical Graffitti and Presence, Beatles Red and Blue comps.and White album, Skynyrd Street Survivors, Johnny Winter Captured Live, Bob Marley Live, The Clash, the Sex Pistols, and Pink Floyd Animals among others.

If I was ever stuck on an island (or in Arizona again), I'd be happy to have these as my desert island discs.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: January 15, 2016 18:17

The El Mocambo side is great but nothing beats this!

It's Only Rock and Roll

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-15 18:21 by palerider22.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 15, 2016 19:18

Hairball
I lived in Arizona for a year when I was 14 in '77/'78, and this was one of a small stack of albums I brought with me to endure the boredom - it was ingrained in my brain.

Also brought Hot Rocks, Exile, Some Girls, Hendrix's Rainbow Bridge, Cry of Love, and Electric Ladyland, Zep's Physical Graffitti and Presence, Beatles Red and Blue comps.and White album, Skynyrd Street Survivors, Johnny Winter Captured Live, Bob Marley Live, The Clash, the Sex Pistols, and Pink Floyd Animals among others.

If I was ever stuck on an island (or in Arizona again), I'd be happy to have these as my desert island discs.

*Just have to say (a Friday compliment)
You are one cool dude. From one Cali Stones fan to another smileys with beer

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 15, 2016 22:36

Only side 3 is listenable, but it's very, very good.

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: January 15, 2016 22:51

Awful shit, I´m afraid.

Mick Jagger´s tendency to bark instead of singing reached it´s highest level.

Poor Ronnie Wood tries his best (which isn´t much), Keith Richards is in seventh heaven. There is not much left to save for Charles and William.

The sound (of the gutars) is as if they had just found out that there is magic box for distortion.

I don´t want to be mean...

Posted by: fela ()
Date: January 16, 2016 00:36

with sssoul
>> I know lots of people here are bugged by Mick's enunciation (or lack thereof) in a lot of the numbers
but that doesn't bother me at all - we all know the words, and that jazzed-up skinny little frontman cat
don't need no stinkin' consonants to keep shakin' it up as a rhythm instrument <<

+1

funky music..one of my top5 album and maybe the one i have most pleasure to listen to. and let's not forget this great LP sleeve ..

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 16, 2016 01:05

I love this album. Yes it has the best version of sftd.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 16, 2016 01:08

35love
Hairball

*Just have to say (a Friday compliment)
You are one cool dude. From one Cali Stones fan to another smileys with beer

I'll drink to that! drinking smiley

And you're one cool chick!

TGIF - it's been a long week - time to let it loose - Happy Friday! smileys with beer

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2013
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home