Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT - R.I.P. Christopher Hitchens
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: December 16, 2011 07:25

The world will miss Christopher Hitchens. He won't miss the pain he was in here. Good luck on your voyage into the next adventure, Hitch - keep questioning.

Re: OT - R.I.P. Christopher Hitchens
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: December 16, 2011 07:30

damn, that sucks. RIP.

Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: December 16, 2011 07:49

Thanks for posting this, because this big man deserve real RIP. Thanks Christhoper for your whole approach, specially about religion! You miss to the whole world!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 16, 2011 07:52

Wow. A great, vital mind until the end. I didn't always agree with Hitch, but I always enjoyed hearing what he had to say.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 16, 2011 07:55

I know this may not seem like a nice thing to say, but the world is not any worse off with him gone.

Date: December 16, 2011 07:57

BluzDude
I know this may not seem like a nice thing to say, but the world is not any worse off with him gone.

It's not polite to speak ill of the dead, especially when we're talking about a delightful human being.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 16, 2011 07:58

Send It To me
BluzDude

It's not polite to speak ill of the dead, especially when we're talking about a delightful human being.

Not when is comes to a guy who advocated policy that could lead to the destruction of my people.

Date: December 16, 2011 08:07

BluzDude
Send It To me
BluzDude

Not when is comes to a guy who advocated policy that could lead to the destruction of my people.

I don't think Hitchens wanted any peoples destroyed. If you're talking about his opinions about Israel, I have to say that - as a (albeit very secular) Jew - I was never upset about anything he said in that regard.

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: December 16, 2011 08:22

RIP Hitch. I didn't agree with everything either, but he was one of the best.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 16, 2011 09:52

Someone always worth listening to, even if you disagreed with him. He had an amazing intellect and bore the illness that killed him with great fortitude. He will be greatly missed. RIP.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 16, 2011 12:02

Hitch was fascinating, and, though my religious orientation is Catholic, I found myself agreeing with Hitch re: Mother Teresa.

He also was on the nail re: Islamic Fascism post 9/11, and I am also fond of his travelogue along Route 66.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: December 16, 2011 15:23

R.I.P

Sad news indeed..

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: December 16, 2011 15:26

He was alternately fascinating and frustrating. Whatever was going on between that man's ears was fairly remarkable. Even when I disagreed with his views (which as almost as often as not), I always admired his intelligence and consistency in his stances.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: December 16, 2011 17:50

Very sad news indeed.
I really enjoyed reading his books and hear him debate. He was one of the greatest thinkers of modern time. Hitchens will be deeply missed.

Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: December 16, 2011 18:12

Very sad indeed!
We need more Christopher Hitchens in this crazy world of ours!
RIP Christopher Hitchens

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 16, 2011 18:44

He kept writing and some of his best work appeared in the last year.
Very brave in the face of adversity.

Date: December 16, 2011 19:04

My favorite Hitch thing is he wrote a book critical of Mother Teresa. This was so outrageous that he couldn't even get a publisher in the U.S. However, no one could dispute the actual facts in his book, they are all just so outraged anyone would dare take down the Mother Teresa myth. Whether we agree with him or not, we need voices like Hitch's to make us question sacred cows and conventional thinking.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 16, 2011 19:09

One of the best writers around. I heard him talk a couple times, and had him sign a few books after one of the talks, and he was impressive. He pointed at the paperback edition of my copy of his Clinton book NO ON LEFT TO LIE TO and said, "This includes the rape chapter." (The hardcover edition did not have that chapter.)

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 16, 2011 21:51

What made Mother Teresa so vile as a character was that she actually advocated poverty, and that she believed the poor shouldn't try and better their status. Bravo to Hitch for debunking the myth !

Date: December 16, 2011 22:25

tomcasagranda
What made Mother Teresa so vile as a character was that she actually advocated poverty, and that she believed the poor shouldn't try and better their status. Bravo to Hitch for debunking the myth !

I agree completely. Her mission was to save souls, not to alleviate poverty or illness. Yet she was made a saint by her great PR. That's why we need people like Hitch.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 16, 2011 22:51

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 17, 2011 00:28

Excellent!

Date: December 17, 2011 03:29

Rockman

Thanks Rockman. Nice tribute.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: December 17, 2011 04:42

Have a had a little sadness in my heart all day today. The world is now a slightly less interesting place. Saw him once in the audience at a Dylan concert in D.C, just hanging out and taking it all in, in a reserved way, but in an interested way.

Also saw him debate a couple of times in recent years (post God is Not Great publication) on religion. Each time was very compelling, and he was a pitbull, but yet somehow gracious with his sparring partners. (Dinesh D'Souza and he put on a great performance, and a very civil, respectful, and interesting debate, at the Powell Symphony Hall in St. Louis back in 2008 that was a treat to attend.)

RIP, Hitch. You are missed already.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 17, 2011 05:45

You bitter f#@kers remind me of Lou Reed saying that when he and his friends learned that Jim Morrison had died they all raised their drinks in celebration, they were so thrilled he was dead. Jim Morrison was worth ten Lou Reeds. (As much as I like Lou Reed.)

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 17, 2011 07:47

Tim Tebow, the Denver Quaterback, is lauded as courageous for espousing his religious views openly. What's so courageous about that? Someone like Hitch was a lot more courageous for espousing atheism, whether you believed him or not. The world does not treat atheists kindly. You probably couldn't be elected President of the United States if you didn't swear allegience to some unseen deity. Hell, Texas is trying to rub out the memory of Thomas Jefferson in its textbooks.

What was so offensive about Hitchen's view on Israel? I find it appalling in America that you can't even criticize Israel without being called anti-semitic. Why do we have to bow to some foreign country that's no more equal to us than any other foreign country? They're not the 51st state.

Date: December 17, 2011 07:53

24FPS
Tim Tebow, the Denver Quaterback, is lauded as courageous for espousing his religious views openly. What's so courageous about that? Someone like Hitch was a lot more courageous for espousing atheism, whether you believed him or not. The world does not treat atheists kindly. You probably couldn't be elected President of the United States if you didn't swear allegience to some unseen deity. Hell, Texas is trying to rub out the memory of Thomas Jefferson in its textbooks.

What was so offensive about Hitchen's view on Israel? I find it appalling in America that you can't even criticize Israel without being called anti-semitic. Why do we have to bow to some foreign country that's no more equal to us than any other foreign country? They're not the 51st state.

+ 1 (and I'm Jewish)

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: December 17, 2011 07:55

Title5Take1
You bitter f#@kers remind me of Lou Reed saying that when he and his friends learned that Jim Morrison had died they all raised their drinks in celebration, they were so thrilled he was dead. Jim Morrison was worth ten Lou Reeds. (As much as I like Lou Reed.)

Well, now you're confusing the issue, somehow comparing those with anti-Hitch sentiment to those who also harbor anti-JM sentiment. That's like comparing apples and oranges. And your note above only serves to make me like Lou Reed even more. Remember what Mick Jagger said about Morrison? Was Jim Morrison worth five Mick Jaggers? You seem to think so. I think Morrison was worth, oh, about what I'm worth. [Which as you'll rightly point out is next to nothing.] Ya got it backwards--Lou Reed is worth at least ten Jim Morrisons, and probably more. Ha, well, IM not so HO. Anyway, as said by others here, peace.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: December 17, 2011 17:05

Title5Take1
and this is the same Lou Reed who once told a journalist that he doesn't do drugs and then 10 seconds later answered another journalist's question of "what do you spend your money on?" with "drugs". In other words, I wouldn't take what Lou says to heart.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 17, 2011 19:51

Christopher Hitchens' death degenerates into a fight over Lou Reed vs. Jim Morrison. Sigh.

And I kind of like the 'porky satyr' poem Morrison wrote as a eulogy for Brian Jones.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1776
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home