Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

40 years ago today Rich Stadium (now New Era field) in Buffalo hosted the Rolling Stones
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: July 4, 2018 15:24

Wow, I can't believe it was 40 years ago today (7/4) that I caught the Rolling Stones at Rich Stadium in Buffalo, NY. Don't know how many times the Stones have played gigs on 7/4 in America. This was my second show at this venue after I saw them in 8/75 on the Tour of the Americas tour. I don't remember a lot from the 7/4 show other than I was wedged pretty tightly on the floor near the stage and it was pretty hot. I thought the Stones gave a pretty spirited performance and Mick was going for the tough, punk persona on that tour. Having seen them in 75, I was disappointed with the setlist (what no Midnight Rambler?!) My other "wow" moment was when the Stones pulled out Love In Vain from a setlist that was top heavy with Some Girls tunes. Although not quite the Mick Taylor version, I was still impressed by Jagger's vocals. My other memory was that Journey was booed by all the folks around me and Steve Perry was clearly pissed to have the task of opening before the Stones. Any other memories for others on this site who were there?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-04 15:40 by Sighunt.

Re: 40 years ago today Rich Stadium (now New Era field) in Buffalo hosted the Rolling Stones
Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: July 4, 2018 19:03

Wasn’t this the show where fans nearly rioted when it was over because they played a bunch of Some Girls and only a few other/older songs?

I recall hearing about 2”x4”s being wielded after something was destroyed.

Re: 40 years ago today Rich Stadium (now New Era field) in Buffalo hosted the Rolling Stones
Posted by: virgil ()
Date: July 5, 2018 02:10

Like Sighunt this was my second Stones concert first being Boston Garden 75.
I don’t remember the booing that Jmarko mentioned but it was a heavy Some Girls set list. They played 18 songs with 8 Some Girls ,all in a row, songs 5 thru 12.
It was exactly 90 minutes all in daylight, funny how 19 songs this tour are almost always two hours.

The Energy of the Band was awesome but I was still a little disappointed with the shorter setlist than My first show in Boston75. Which had the Lotus stage and great light show 2 1/2 hr more diverse setlist 23 songs two being Billy Preston’s. 14 of us took a 12 hour train ride from Boston the Stones ticket was 15 dollars and the train cost 75 dollars. That was a lot of money back then for an 18 year old, 3 days not a sober moment, good times.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 5, 2018 02:28

I didn't go but wasn't this where the boot either titled: "All Meat Music" or "Keep Your Motor Running" recorded?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 5, 2018 04:53

The first show at then Rich Stadium was the closer of the 1975 tour on August 8. A great bootleg from the show. I believe the band hung out at a local bar(Danny's?) for most of the afternoon getting pretty wasted until showtime.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 5, 2018 04:57

Sighunt
Wow, I can't believe it was 40 years ago today (7/4) that I caught the Rolling Stones at Rich Stadium in Buffalo, NY. Don't know how many times the Stones have played gigs on 7/4 in America. This was my second show at this venue after I saw them in 8/75 on the Tour of the Americas tour. I don't remember a lot from the 7/4 show other than I was wedged pretty tightly on the floor near the stage and it was pretty hot. I thought the Stones gave a pretty spirited performance and Mick was going for the tough, punk persona on that tour. Having seen them in 75, I was disappointed with the setlist (what no Midnight Rambler?!) My other "wow" moment was when the Stones pulled out Love In Vain from a setlist that was top heavy with Some Girls tunes. Although not quite the Mick Taylor version, I was still impressed by Jagger's vocals. My other memory was that Journey was booed by all the folks around me and Steve Perry was clearly pissed to have the task of opening before the Stones. Any other memories for others on this site who were there?

I was there. The excessive Some Girls material was kind of disappointing. The afternoon concert was a bummer too. The Stones need to be seen at night.

Date: July 5, 2018 06:23

virgil
Like Sighunt this was my second Stones concert first being Boston Garden 75.
I don’t remember the booing that Jmarko mentioned but it was a heavy Some Girls set list. They played 18 songs with 8 Some Girls ,all in a row, songs 5 thru 12.
It was exactly 90 minutes all in daylight, funny how 19 songs this tour are almost always two hours.

The Energy of the Band was awesome but I was still a little disappointed with the shorter setlist than My first show in Boston75. Which had the Lotus stage and great light show 2 1/2 hr more diverse setlist 23 songs two being Billy Preston’s. 14 of us took a 12 hour train ride from Boston the Stones ticket was 15 dollars and the train cost 75 dollars. That was a lot of money back then for an 18 year old, 3 days not a sober moment, good times.

Agreed with a lot of your assessment. After seeing them play at Rich Stadium in 1975, I thought that the 78 show was shorter and too top heavy with Some Girls tunes. Also, this was the only show I ever remember seeing where the Stones performed in the daylight. And yes, they should be showcased at night.

Date: July 6, 2018 03:28

Someone posted some nice pictures from this show a few years back, around the time of 2015 show at this stadium.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: July 6, 2018 04:15

I have a some great photos from the 78 show. Many are on my office wall

Date: July 6, 2018 06:28

black n blue

Boy, I would love to these or any other photos posted from the Buffalo 78 show that anybody may have.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 6, 2018 19:51

Sighunt
black n blue

Boy, I would love to these or any other photos posted from the Buffalo 78 show that anybody may have.

Ya, please post some of them.

Date: July 6, 2018 20:11

Did anyone besides my buddies and I purchase the Stones Tux. A local Tux store and radio station QFM-97 had tux jackets made up , there were some lite bluish ones and some yellow ones. We all purchased them and wore them on the 12 hour train ride home.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1978
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home