Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - RIP Vinnie Paul - Drummer for Pantera
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 24, 2018 07:21

[Vinnie Paul Dies at age 54]

The Texas-born musician Vinnie Paul had formed Pantera in 1981 with his brother “Dimebag” Darrell Abbott.
Photograph: Will Ireland/Future/REX/Shutterstock

Re: OT - RIP Vinnie Paul - Drummer for Pantera
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 24, 2018 09:57

I should not say that but among the "big 3" (Metallica Slayer Pantera) Pantera was easily the worst band.
And now the compulsory cliché comment : "now Vinnie can jam with his brother Dime, dude!".

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 24, 2018 14:24

There is no such thing as “the big 3”.
There’s the big 4 of thrash metal (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth & Anthrax).
Pantera was a different, slowed down, kind of metal.

Vinnie Paul was a brilliant, very influential metal drummer.
The problem with Pantera, besides their fascist frontman, was that only the first half of their albums was great. Rarely a great song after song #6.

Anyway... Vinnie RIP... alongside Dimebag a massive force of early 90s metal.
I really enjoyed that.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-24 15:57 by BowieStone.

Date: June 24, 2018 14:47

BowieStone
There’s the big 4 of thrash metal (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth & Anthrax).
Pantera was a different, slowed down, kind of metal.

Vinnie Paul was a brilliant, very influential metal drummer.
The problem with Pantera, besides their fascist frontman, was that only the first half of their albums were great. Rarely a great song after song #6.

Anyway... Vinnie RIP... alongside Dimebag a massive force of early 90s metal.
I really enjoyed that.

yes I was trying to figure out what the "big 3" was and why pantera was mentioned.

as far as the bands albums I somewhat disagree. CFH and VDOP are pretty solid start to finish. FBD to me is the bands most uneven release. first 4 songs are brilliant and then there are only 3 more great songs spread out over the next 8 songs. TGSTK is my favorite release by them. the bands final album RTS imo is very solid

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 24, 2018 15:21

The Great Southern Trendkill has indeed a great song in the second half of the album (Floods). But besides that, also that album loses quality in the second half IMO.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 24, 2018 15:25

Almost impossible to imagine what he went through losing his brother the way he did...
RIP

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: June 24, 2018 15:27

dcba
I should not say that but among the "big 3" (Metallica Slayer Pantera) Pantera was easily the worst band.

Firmly disagree... Where Pantera ranks among the "big 3" you mention is arbitrary and depends on individual tastes. Those 3 bands should arguably be tied at no. 1 (they've all released their share of both brilliant as well as "filler" songs). At least Pantera had the decency to gradually improve over time (their first 4 albums are an acquired taste, but by Cowboys from Hell they'd truly developed their own style; and I love their last album, more so than all of the others before it).

Pantera wrote some truly great songs and they were highly respected by the very peers that influenced them (Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Kiss, etc.). They were even respected by non-metal artists (Madonna played the A New Level riff on guitar on one of her tours). Their Far Beyond Driven album hit #1 on Billboard when it was released...

And, getting back to Vinnie Paul, he had a truly unique sound and technique, his drumming on Far Beyond Drumming is especially stand-out.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: June 24, 2018 16:31

Glad to see people here show some love for this kind of music.
Vulgar display of power is a great record.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 24, 2018 17:05

I saw him with Pantera as support act for Judas Priest in 1991 and for a 2nd time with Hellyeah in a good show as support act for Stone Sour few years ago.

RIP Vinnie Paul

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 24, 2018 18:05

Sad. Never got to see Pantera, but CFH and VDOP are both metal classics.

Who would have thought that Phil Anselmo would outlive the Abbott brothers given his past heroin addiction?

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: June 24, 2018 20:27

Great drummer. Great loss

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 24, 2018 22:18

BowieStone

I wrote "big 3" willingly as I don't consider Megadeth worthy of an inclusion in any metal pantheon.

Date: June 24, 2018 22:32

dcba
BowieStone

I wrote "big 3" willingly as I don't consider Megadeth worthy of an inclusion in any metal pantheon.

that statement makes things worse not better

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: June 25, 2018 00:00

dcba
BowieStone

The first 4 Megadeth albums put them at the top of the genre for me.

Date: June 25, 2018 00:06

The "big four" of thrash metal has always been Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax. It was based on album sales more than anything.

Pantera started out as a glam band before changing to "groove/thrash" metal. For better or worse, Anselmo's vocal attack is still what most metal singers use to this day.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 25, 2018 01:30

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-25 01:32 by scottkeef.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 25, 2018 01:31

Kurt
Almost impossible to imagine what he went through losing his brother the way he did...
RIP

I totally agree..if that doesn't make you a candidate for PTSD I don't know what does...

Date: June 25, 2018 02:16

scottkeef
Kurt
RIP

I totally agree..if that doesn't make you a candidate for PTSD I don't know what does...
Dime's murder haunted me for a few days after it happened. I go to a lot of club shows and the idea of witnessing something like that chilled me to the bone, let alone seeing a family member murdered in cold blood.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1827
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home