Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Karl Denson on Inside Out Podcast
Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: June 20, 2018 20:32

Episode 58: Karl Denson

Jun 13, 2018

[simplecast.com]

Episode Summary:

Seth and Rob help saxophonist/flautist/composer Karl Denson extend his checkout time at an Atlanta hotel while they chat with him about a variety of topics including his time with the legendary Rolling Stones. However, Karl has his own impressive career as a front man, so the trio starts by discussing this. We learn about how the musicians who would ultimately prove themselves ideal came together for his most recent release “New Ammo,” as well as his forthcoming project. We hear about his excitement to again be working with Zac Najor, someone he has known since the early days of his outstanding band, Greyboy Allstars. We also learn about Chris Stillwell, Kenneth Crouch, Seth Freeman, DJ Williams and other fantastic musicians. Denson also explains how he benefited from the work of Elvert Walltower, who helped fine tune the vocals on “New Ammo.” Then we are taken back to when Karl got “the call” from Lenny Kravitz to tell him his “name was thrown in the hat” to replace Bobby Keys in the Rolling Stones - a call which initially came in while Karl was purchasing his first-ever guitar. Cosmic. Denson tells about how the Skype calls and rehearsals would served as his initial entry into this amazing world. He tells us about the kindness and support of Stones bandmate Tim Ries (who also manages to find side gigs for some of the band members irrespective of where in the world the band is geographically) and about Ries’ own recorded work away from The Stones. Karl comes clean about how some of his own over-playing on one version of “Brown Sugar” earned him a trip to “the principal’s (Mick’s) office.” Karl gives specific examples which evidence how hard The Stones work and how they maintain a healthy combination of joy for, and commitment to what they do. Many more Stones-related subjects are discussed, including how a steak dinner in Chile with Keith Richards and Ron Wood fell together naturally…..and how Keith has a love for reading ship’s logs. Karl is sharing an upcoming festival bill with Stevie Wonder and Kendrick Lamar, and this leads this program into a discussion of each and in turn a digression about “conscious” hip/hop. Karl explains his aversion toward “music that sounds like (it’s created by people who) don’t have mothers.” Rob also goes through a bunch of Denson-related cds made by veteran taper Ira Gross and Karl shares some of his memories of each, including his memories of the themed Halloween shows which were held over a decade a go in this program’s hometown, Atlanta. Karl even explains why, “Bob Weir paid for my house” and how Jon Fishman had a prophetic moment at Hampton70.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-20 20:33 by mnewman505.

Re: Karl Denson on Inside Out Podcast
Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: June 21, 2018 15:26

Bump because there is some good Stones content here...

"Karl comes clean about how some of his own over-playing on one version of “Brown Sugar” earned him a trip to “the principal’s (Mick’s) office"

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 21, 2018 18:38

That is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: June 21, 2018 19:17

What a wonderful interview, really enjoyed to get to know Karl more

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 22, 2018 06:08

I would love to read a transcript, checked the link and don’t see one.
I prefer to read rather than listen only.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 22, 2018 06:44

Worth playing. He's very open and down to earth. Funny Bobby stories from Darryl and Tim. His take on how Chuck is the only sideman who has "sort of" the ability to offer an opinion was interesting. Keith and his love of reading ship's logs was amusing. He forgets Lisa's name, unfortunately. I liked him a lot more than I thought I would.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home