Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Just My Imagination
Date: January 5, 2021 16:55

Stoneage
Ernie's sax holds the Hampton live version together. Keith is all hit and miss. Sometimes unbearable to listen to on solos. And don't forget Bill's bass.

Out of curiousity, what makes you say that? IMO, he plays brilliantly. Some insane licks in there. And the interplay with Ronnie (and Ernie) is exceptional.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: January 5, 2021 17:03

Great song,especially live 78-81.Some really great guitarplay here

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 5, 2021 19:00

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Ernie's sax holds the Hampton live version together. Keith is all hit and miss. Sometimes unbearable to listen to on solos. And don't forget Bill's bass.

Out of curiousity, what makes you say that? IMO, he plays brilliantly. Some insane licks in there. And the interplay with Ronnie (and Ernie) is exceptional.

He plays great rhythm guitar and great licks on and off. I know his idiosyncratic style so I appreciate much of his playing. It's some of his solos I have a problem with. That is where Ernie comes in and fills the gap. Keith talked a lot about Chuck Berry winging it. I think that is sometimes a good word to sum up some of Keith's solos. Sometimes off beat, un-melodic and repetitive. You're a guitar player, Dandy. Do you not hear these things? Or is there something wrong with my ears?

Date: January 5, 2021 19:18

Stoneage
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

He plays great rhythm guitar and great licks on and off. I know his idiosyncratic style so I appreciate much of his playing. It's some of his solos I have a problem with. That is where Ernie comes in and fills the gap. Keith talked a lot about Chuck Berry winging it. I think that is sometimes a good word to sum up some of Keith's solos. Sometimes off beat, un-melodic and repetitive. You're a guitar player, Dandy. Do you not hear these things? Or is there something wrong with my ears?

Had to picked out a 2017-solo I would have understood. I really love what he plays, solos included, on this particular version. It's a matter of taste, I guess.

Do you have a problem with all the Stones's guitar solos between 1962 and 1969 as well? If so, I might understand where you're coming from smiling smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 5, 2021 20:29

I like the Still Life and Shine a Light the best.Great horns on Shine a Light one

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: January 5, 2021 20:38

On the Still Life version the 8 bar "break" at about 3.10 is a goosebumps moment for me every time. The sax solo ends, and everything is stripped back to Charlie's kick drum, Bills bass groove and the 2 guitars are sheer perfection. The engineer mixed the crowd in perfectly.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 5, 2021 22:17

Great song, great cover, from a great album! ... 'nuff said.

Date: January 6, 2021 00:24

Taylor1
I like the Still Life and Shine a Light the best.Great horns on Shine a Light one

The Some Girls Live in Texas and Leeds-versions are great contenders to the Still Life rendition. Hampton is the greatest, imo.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1464
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home