Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Willie Nelson
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 27, 2018 22:53

Article states he was either unable or unwilling to go on with the show, but hope he's OK.

Willie Nelson Walks Off Stage at Charlotte’s Outlaw Music Fest, Show Canceled

Willie

Willie Nelson’s appearance at the Outlaw Music Festival on Saturday (5-25) at the PNC Music Pavilion in Charlotte, North Carolina was abruptly cancelled after Willie was unwilling or unable to perform. According to concertgoers, Willie Nelson walked out on stage twice, but never sang or played. During his second appearance on stage, he threw his hat out into the crowd (see video below).

Willie Nelson’s set was supposed to start at roughly 9:40 p.m. local time. By 10:25, he still had not begun his performance. The crowd was left in the dark for a while as to whether the performance would happen or not, but eventually an announcer told the crowd the show had been officially canceled. At about 11:10 Eastern time, Live Nation Carolina declared, “Due to illness, Willie Nelson was unable to play tonight at the Outlaw Music Festival at PNC Music Pavilion Charlotte. Fans are asked to please hold on to their tickets until the new date is announced.”

The Outlaw Music Festival is a multi-city festival promoted by Blackbird Presents and LiveNation. It features different performers at each stop, with Willie Nelson headlining each night. The Charlotte, North Carolina date was also scheduled to feature Sturgill Simpson, Elvis Costello & The Imposters, Brandi Carlile, and Old Crow Medicine Show. Elvis Costello and Brandi Carlile had also both canceled their performances before Saturday’s show for personal reasons. The Wild Feathers and Mitchell Lee were added to the bill.

“85 yr young Willie Nelson has just walked on and off the stage in Charlotte twice,” said one concertgoer. “The 2nd time angrily throwing his hat into the crowd. I don’t think he is coming back. I wish I had caught the hat.”

Willie Nelson has postponed, cancelled, or been unable to take the stage on numerous occasions over the past few years due to illness. However Saturday night’s episode seemed especially dramatic. So far there is no word on Willie Nelson’s condition, if something else may have caused the cancellation, or when the performance may be rescheduled. More details when they become available.

Video: Willie Nelson cancels show..

Willie

Why did Willie Nelson abruptly walk off the stage during his Charlotte show?

Country Music Hall of Famer Willie Nelson came to Charlotte's PNC Music Pavilion on Saturday night specifically to headline his Outlaw Music Festival, then left without ever playing or singing a single note — leaving fans confused, angry and disappointed.

Live Nation issued a press release after 11 p.m. Saturday night, saying, simply: "Due to illness, Willie Nelson was unable to play tonight at the Outlaw Music Festival at PNC Music Pavilion Charlotte. Fans are asked to please hold on to their tickets until the new date is announced."

Re: OT: Willie Nelson
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 27, 2018 23:47

You want to cut the guy some slack given that he's 85, but at the same time, it's not cool to ditch thousands of fans like that either.

Tough situation. I think he could have handled it with a little more grace. Maybe it's time to cut back on touring...do a residency close to home or something.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 28, 2018 00:29

Sounds like his mind was willing... but... you know... sad smiley ... man, I hope he is OK

Good vibes and positive thoughts going out to Willie, one of the greatest greats of all time, for many reasons

Date: May 28, 2018 06:56

hope he's ok

Date: May 28, 2018 08:45

If you're sick AND 85 years old, you don't perform - you listen to the doctor, imo. Get well, Willie.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: May 28, 2018 08:59

DandelionPowderman
If you're sick AND 85 years old, you don't perform - you listen to the doctor, imo. Get well, Willie.

Agree, he is still a King!
And we made that agreement Dandy, at the Status Quo concert in Oslo.
One day we travel over the pond to see him...

Get well!

TE
Oslo

Date: May 28, 2018 09:03

TE
DandelionPowderman

Agree, he is still a King!
And we made that agreement Dandy, at the Status Quo concert in Oslo.
One day we travel over the pond to see him...

Get well!

TE
Oslo

thumbs up

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 28, 2018 16:44

Maybe Trigger just needed a night off... ; )

Willie last night in DC.

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: TE ()
Date: May 28, 2018 17:11

We can hope!

Tnx Bye Bye Johnny!
Lack of "fuel" inside the bus probably.

TE
Oslo

Date: May 28, 2018 17:19

He lost his hat! Oh, wait... winking smiley

Date: May 28, 2018 18:01

It is somewhat amusing interesting to see old footage of trigger (from SNL and talk shows etc etc) and watch that hole get bigger and bigger... and now gaping... Willie really really likes that guitar and only that guitar.

Which brings up the concept of "one of a kind" sounds... and/or how certain guitars "play/sound/feel" one of a kind to a player... another will not do... it has gotta be Trigger for Willie, no matter how big that hole gets. I wonder if the hole has it's own name?

Similar to how to this day, with all the modern tech, they can not recreate a Stradivarius

Date: May 28, 2018 18:08

Good to see Willie is fine and played last night.

My old Grandpa had more vigor than anyone at 85... 92... died at 99... but some days he would come out, say he was "not up for it that day" and go back to his room... it always greatly concerned me... but then the next he was back to dancing with shopping carts.

Human bodies... sometimes they just don't wanna go, no matter what the mind says.

Posted by: TornFrayedSue ()
Date: May 28, 2018 18:39

Good to see Willie played, adore the guy and his trigger smoking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 28, 2018 18:54

bye bye johnny
Maybe Trigger just needed a night off... ; )

Willie last night in DC.

[www.instagram.com]

Thanks for the update - thumbs up - great photo.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 28, 2018 21:04

Glad to hear that he's OK.

I have to listen to Willie every day: he has a special type of a mindfulness course.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 29, 2018 00:30

Leonioid

My old Grandpa had more vigor than anyone at 85... 92... died at 99... but some days he would come out, say he was "not up for it that day" and go back to his room... it always greatly concerned me... but then the next he was back to dancing with shopping carts.

Human bodies... sometimes they just don't wanna go, no matter what the mind says.
Ah that is very true. Hell I'm almost 40 and I get like that sometimes, lol.

Great photo of Willie. Hopefully that canceled concert was just a temporary hiccup.

Date: May 29, 2018 01:38

keefriff99
Leonioid

Ah that is very true. Hell I'm almost 40 and I get like that sometimes, lol.

grinning smiley indeed... me too
what a drag it is getting feeling old... when Im still young (relatively)

Great photo of Willie. Hopefully that canceled concert was just a temporary hiccup.
Willie and Keef will outlive us all.... and still be playing... forever

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 29, 2018 02:04

Willie and Mickey Raphael at The Anthem in DC.

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 29, 2018 08:07

I go see him at least once every year or two and last year he looked more frail but otherwise he seemed fine.
I can only shake my head after seeing some reports in the media that seemed to suggest maybe he walked off stage because he was upset about something and that he looked “agitated “ as if he’s some show biz diva,it’s pathetic.
If Willie didn’t play it was because it was physically impossible,it sounds like he was sick and tried to go on anyway then realized he couldn’t at the last second.
It’s almost as if he felt he needed to give the crowd at least something so he threw his hat to them because that’s not a normal move for him.
He’s got shows booked into September with people like Van Morrison and Neil,a true road warrior,saying he’s a legend almost seems like faint praise.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 29, 2018 10:28

But a few words of excuse would have been great, wouldn't they?

Date: May 29, 2018 10:33

saltoftheearth
But a few words of excuse would have been great, wouldn't they?

It's not really usual that the artists take the stage and apologise for not being able to perform?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home