Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Lisa Fischer interview
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 25, 2018 21:50

After 26 years with Rolling Stones, Lisa Fischer moves to centre stage

Lisa Fischer with the members of Grand Baton, from left, Thierry Arpino, JC Maillard and Aidan Carroll.
Photograph By DJENEBA ADUAYOM

IN CONCERT

What: Lisa Fischer and Grand Baton
When: Tuesday, March 27, 7:30 p.m.
Where: Royal Theatre, 805 Broughton St.
Tickets: $35.50-$55.50 at the Royal McPherson Box Office, by phone at 250-386-6121 or online at [rmts.bc.ca]

Lisa Fischer doesn’t have to wail like Robert Plant when she sings Led Zeppelin’s Immigrant Song in concert, nor does she have to coo like Mick Jagger when handling the Rolling Stones’ (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction. With a voice that can move mountains, Fischer can simply be herself.

“It’s so playful to me, and it’s so fun,” Fischer said from her home in New York. “It goes back to the mentality of singers who were interpreters. To me, that’s the most fun. You get to paint, you get to change your clothes and toss on a silly hat. You get to cry. You get to do so much stuff.”

Fischer currently leads her own band, Grand Baton, which interprets an array of hits in concert, from Robert Palmer’s Addicted to Love to the Police’s Message in a Bottle. Her set is also full of songs by Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones. Fischer was a backup singer for the Stones for 26 years.

The Brooklyn native played her last show with the Stones in Quebec on July 15, 2015, and has since focused almost exclusively on Grand Baton.
It was a tough and emotional decision for Fischer. It is clear, nearly three years later, that she still wonders how things would have turned out had she stayed.

“They have been so supportive and loving and kind to me. I miss them. I love them to the ends of the Earth.”

Part of the problem, Fischer said, was that the Rolling Stones required her to be in each city on their tours a day prior to the show. That type of commitment — three days for one show, which is totally understandable, Fischer said, given the size of the operation — didn’t leave much room for her solo career.

During her years with the group, she fitted in Grand Baton tours when she could, including a date in Victoria weeks before she left the Stones, but eventually the pluses stopped outweighing the minuses.
After a quarter-century, she figured it was time to venture out on her own.

“It got to the point where I was running myself ragged, and I felt like I wasn’t giving my best because I was so exhausted.
“It was a scary time for me, so I finally had to make a decision. I cried when I made that phone call.”

Fischer likened her exit to “leaving the nest.” Her departure was made manageable, however, by the overwhelming reaction to 2013’s 20 Feet From Stardom, an Academy Award-winning documentary about backup singers in which Fischer figured prominently.

“I think 20 Feet From Stardom opened the doors for my more complete self, after years of doing different things in different arenas,” Fischer said. The film explores the often unacknowledged role singers played in the careers of A-list acts.

Fischer spent the bulk of her early career with Tina Turner, Luther Vandross and Sting, before securing a permanent role with the Rolling Stones.

In concert with Jagger and Co., Fischer always brought down the house during Gimme Shelter, singing the part made famous by another backup singer, Merry Clayton, who also appears in 20 Feet From Stardom.
Fischer sings Gimme Shelter in concerts with Grand Baton, but delivers the song in a more contemporary, jazzy way.

“I’m learning. Every day I’m learning. Every time I do something new, I think: ‘What if I fail?’ That’s just my normal process of breaking through the moment of getting to somewhere really beautiful.”

Grand Baton, which includes Thierry Arpino, JC Maillard and Aidan Carroll, is inventive as well. “Every time we do a show, there’s certain songs we definitely repeat, but they do it differently,” Fischer said.

“They are always looking for a different little window, a little crack in the ceiling. They are always looking for ways to make me go: ‘Ooh, what was that?’

“And that makes me react differently. We’re always having this musical conversation during the whole show.”

Fischer was in Paris this month for a unique collaboration with Alonzo King’s LINES Ballet. She joined 12 dancers in a piece called The Propelled Heart, throughout which her voice was the live soundtrack.
“To be the sound for their movements and the emotions for their movements, the energy was bouncing back and forth. Every night I felt like: ‘I can’t believe I get to do this for a living.’ ”

Fischer also spent part of February performing with the Seattle Symphony. Asked if she enjoys dipping her toes into a variety of pools, Fischer let out a bold laugh.

“It echoes that background singer mentality of not knowing what’s coming. I’m trying to bend and mould different situations. To me, that’s a lot of fun.”

Her schedule these days stands in stark contrast to her pre-fame days, when she had more time for the careers of other artists than she had for her own.

Fischer said she is better prepared for the challenges that undoubtedly arise, and would not have wanted to be a headliner any earlier.
“The gift of maturity is a beautiful thing,” she said.

“You bump your head and you learn, and that’s always going to continue.”

[www.timescolonist.com]

Re: Lisa Fischer interview
Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: March 25, 2018 21:55

“They have been so supportive and loving and kind to me. I miss them. I love them to the ends of the Earth.”

Moving statement...

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 26, 2018 00:33

Class act always that Lisa. For very many years her cameos were a powerful highlight; no little thing when the other person up front is Jags.
She brought a lot of joy and good spirit with her every show;
even as an original fan who hasn't seen them without Bill yet, I've
enoyed her so much on so many widely distributed wonderful and HOT live performances.
So cool that The Stones community would have so much love and respect for her.
She has also been very gracious, classy and encouraging to her young replacement.
She has a genuine generous spirit and a lot of soulful talent.
And has earned and stamped a place for herself im hundreds of Stones appearances,
some deservedly legendary.
I'm glad so much of her work and presence is available on so many live Stones products.

LOVE YOU LISAhot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-26 00:36 by hopkins.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: March 26, 2018 01:08

Sorry - but saying she quit because their live performance demands left her little time for a solo career sounds like complete BS to me. They are not on the road that much and the exposure for her when they are is publicity she can't generate or buy on her own. Hate to say it but I think this story is an effort to save face after aging out of Mick's misogynistic and never-ending demands for youthfulness.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 26, 2018 01:32

Spodlumt
Sorry - but saying she quit because their live performance demands left her little time for a solo career sounds like complete BS to me. They are not on the road that much and the exposure for her when they are is publicity she can't generate or buy on her own. Hate to say it but I think this story is an effort to save face after aging out of Mick's misogynistic and never-ending demands for youthfulness.

The "Mick is the big bad misogynistic bully" narrative doesn't hold water.
Neither does the exposure theory.

"After 26 years with Rolling Stones" (plenty of time for "exposure")

“They have been so supportive and loving and kind to me. I miss them. I love them to the ends of the Earth.” (Has always rang true by all accounts)

"I think 20 Feet From Stardom opened the doors for my more complete self". (Branched out on her own soon after)

Those statements alone disprove any conspiracy theory.

The Grammy winning movie and the accolades she received was the obvious catalyst for her to finally branch out on her own. All you have to do is read her comments and look at the timing. Extremely doubtful she would conspire to lie to protect or save face when she is finally achieving success on her own. Very glad to see her make it being the main headliner. Class act.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 26, 2018 01:44

Interesting that she's only released one album of her own back in 1991.
Aside from singing Stones, Zeppelin, Robert Palmer, and Police covers, wondering if she sings anything of her own?
Also wonder if she has any plans to release another album on her own seeing that it's been over 25 years since her last...might help her career

Date: March 26, 2018 04:22

"Those statements alone disprove any conspiracy theory."

Yeah - if you believe them.

Date: March 26, 2018 04:24

PS: Doing cover versions of other people's songs doesn't really put the focus on your own work. Again - voluntarily leaving is complete BS.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: March 26, 2018 05:31

Hairball
Aside from singing Stones, Zeppelin, Robert Palmer, and Police covers, wondering if she sings anything of her own?
Also wonder if she has any plans to release another album on her own seeing that it's been over 25 years since her last...might help her career

Doesn't sound like a solo career, does it? Tim Ries, Bernard Fowler are doing gigs or releasing albums, even Boy Georgia has albums out -- more than Lisa. I don't see where she is heading with cover versions... But she is a part of the Stones legacy. And a nice person.

Date: March 26, 2018 05:32

Spodlumt
"Those statements alone disprove any conspiracy theory."

Yeah - if you believe them.

OK
She didn't spend 26 years with the band? confused smiley
She didn't win a Grammy and critical acclaim for the film 20 feet from Stardom? confused smiley
She hasn't consistently expressed nothing but love and mutual respect? confused smiley

Looks like you gotta get up... Pretttty early in the morning to get one by you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-26 05:33 by MisterDDDD.

Date: March 26, 2018 06:06

frenki09
Hairball

Doesn't sound like a solo career, does it? Tim Ries, Bernard Fowler are doing gigs or releasing albums, even Boy Georgia has albums out -- more than Lisa. I don't see where she is heading with cover versions... But she is a part of the Stones legacy. And a nice person.

No it doesn't, and it seems a bit odd to breakout from the restraints of being a backup singer only to be singing a bunch of covers in small clubs and theaters.
That said, I bet she could belt out a mean Zeppelin cover - I wonder which one (s) she does?

Regarding her solo album from '91, seems there were a couple of tunes from it that were somewhat successful based on this info. from wiki:

"How Can I Ease the Pain", co-written by Fischer, was her biggest pop and R&B hit, reaching number 1 on the U.S. R&B chart, while peaking just outside the top ten of the pop charts. resting at number 11. The only other single to make any sort of impact was "Save Me", which, while failing to even dent the Billboard top 40 (reaching number 74), came close to repeating the success of "How Can I Ease the Pain" on the R&B chart, peaking at number 7. The last single, the title track, was also a moderate R&B hit, reaching the top 20 and peaking at number 15".

Would be nice to see her release another studio album even if it's just a bunch of covers like the Stones did. But instead of blues covers, she could cover all the stuff she's currently doing live.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 26, 2018 13:06

Spodlumt

I agree.

<<< Their live performances left little time for her solo career ??? >>>

O please, give me a break. What, with their kind of touring schedule ??? A relatively small number of shows, and then typically a gap of at least a year, if not several ? Was 2007 to 2012 not enough of a gap in which to do something in the way of developing a solo career. Perhaps they should have stopped for ten years, instead of a paltry five ???

What horses**t !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 26, 2018 13:44

Yes these statements don't hold water, shame on that journo for trying to explain them too, having to be there for 3 days for 14 shows per year (much fewer in 2016) and flying in private jets, wow, tough! Working around that can't have been hard and the money was probably 10x (if not more) what she can make on her own.

Look at Doyle Bramhall Jr who's working the clubs day after day, he's more than happy to help out Calpton when the opportunity arises.

Not sure she got "fired" for her looks though because she looks better than she did in 2012...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 26, 2018 13:48

Showbiz is showbiz. Looks is part of it. That's how it is. Lisa was able to trade on that for a while. Now she has to depend on other qualities. Like singing. She still looks good though (for her age).

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 26, 2018 13:51

I really miss Lisa.better voice n more charisma n far more sexy. At least imo.
Jeroen

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 26, 2018 14:05

<<< aging out of Mick's misogynistic and never-ending demands for youthfulness >>>

Bang on target ! Cruel, but highly likely to be much closer to the truth !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 26, 2018 15:57

gotdablouse
Yes these statements don't hold water, shame on that journo for trying to explain them too, having to be there for 3 days for 14 shows per year (much fewer in 2016) and flying in private jets, wow, tough! Working around that can't have been hard and the money was probably 10x (if not more) what she can make on her own.

Look at Doyle Bramhall Jr who's working the clubs day after day, he's more than happy to help out Calpton when the opportunity arises.

Not sure she got "fired" for her looks though because she looks better than she did in 2012...

Supposing the fan conspiracy theory is correct (I think it's certainly possible and even likely), the article contains the statements it does because Lisa has management. Since she doesn't work for Jane Rose, her publicity angle isn't "those sons of bitches fired me" so much as a positive note about how great an experience it was and how she's building on her past accomplishments and pursuing a solo career. As to why she doesn't do an album to give her new career validity, how many copies would it sell in today's market? Who would finance the sessions? Just gigging makes sense. Sure, they could do an album cheaply and self-distribute it or go the indie route, but what good would that accomplish? She balances her private life with her gigs now. I'm not certain an album would do much other than give her product at her shows with very limited revenue.

Date: March 26, 2018 16:00

paulywaul
<<< aging out of Mick's misogynistic and never-ending demands for youthfulness >>>

Bang on target ! Cruel, but highly likely to be much closer to the truth !

Yeah.
She was a spry 56 last time she played with the band.

Lol.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: March 26, 2018 16:08

I could understand what some call Mick's "misogynistic and never-ending demands for youthfulness", but not after having seen Lisa's replacement.

Sasha seems to be a nice person, but IMHO she's far from the "20th century" Lisa, in each domain.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: March 26, 2018 16:36

Whatever you think, I have seen her at least twice with Grand Baton and also in the Lines Ballet, Alonzo's show, twice and she is awesome.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 26, 2018 16:58

Spodlumt

Yeah, that's nonsense. They didn't play a single show for 62 months between 2007 and 2012. And from 2012 onwards it's two months work each year. More than enough time to make solo projects. In reality she was probably asked to leave the touring band because she's too old and not slim enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-26 16:59 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 26, 2018 18:33

Obviously, the reasons she gave are not the real reasons. 15 shows a year wouldn't prevent her from pursuing a solo career that she has shown no interest in since the early 90's. However, only a few people know the real reason and I don't think any of them are on the board. Maybe they wanted someone younger and slimmer, maybe there was a disagreement over pay, maybe she just got sick of being inside the Stones bubble, who knows...

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 26, 2018 18:56

laertisflash

Moving statement...

thumbs up

"Daddy came out to play last nightsmiling smiley
Dear Keith Richards, Thank you all for blessing us with your beautiful presence. You have given me so much...love,support, and wisdom. Your smile lights up my world. It always makes me feel like I've been bathed in a tropical sea full of magic and wonder. I honor your spirit, and I am thankful for your soul on this earth. Till we meet again dear heartbeat
Photo love: J. Bouquet"

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 26, 2018 20:17

corriecas
I really miss Lisa.better voice n more charisma n far more sexy. At least imo.
Jeroen

Yes she really was, she was like a Stone in the end, i was gutted when she left.

Not so keen on the new girl, i guess Lisa had her reasons for moving on, she looks good there, lost weight by the look of it.

Date: March 26, 2018 20:43

Rocky Dijon
gotdablouse

Supposing the fan conspiracy theory is correct (I think it's certainly possible and even likely), the article contains the statements it does because Lisa has management. Since she doesn't work for Jane Rose, her publicity angle isn't "those sons of bitches fired me" so much as a positive note about how great an experience it was and how she's building on her past accomplishments and pursuing a solo career. As to why she doesn't do an album to give her new career validity, how many copies would it sell in today's market? Who would finance the sessions? Just gigging makes sense. Sure, they could do an album cheaply and self-distribute it or go the indie route, but what good would that accomplish? She balances her private life with her gigs now. I'm not certain an album would do much other than give her product at her shows with very limited revenue.

You're right that it probably wouldn't make much sense financially, but I'm of the opinion it would giver her solo "career" a bit more legitimacy. Who builds a career by singing covers? There's millions of bar bands and singers who play covers that can be seen for free, so why would people want to pay extra money for what is basically a tribute act? Yes she has a great voice, but it seems that the description "former backup singer with the Stones" that's mentioned in every article/interview seems to be her strongest selling point, and without that she would probably be just another singer singing covers - albeit a very good singer. But maybe she can't get a record deal? She's not really what you could call a 'hot item' by today's standards of fame, and the fact she hasn't released anything on her own since 1991 might be detrimental when trying to get a contract.

A for why she left the band (or was she booted?), I'm not into conspiracy theories. I did enjoy her singing with the Stones for the most part, and aside from some of her ear shattering and sometimes cringeworthy solos on Gimme Shelter (that were amazing in a talent contest kind of way), she fit in well and sung with gusto and had great stage presence. That said, I thoroughly enjoy the new gal Sasha. Having seen her now several times with the Stones, she fits in well, sings absolutely great, and never goes over the top during Gimme Shelter in the same way Lisa did. For my ears, that's a big improvement, and would say she is the best replacement of any member the Stones have had to come up with in a long time - better than Karl Denson for sure (imo).

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 26, 2018 21:20

Bernard was able to do his Bowie tribute without it interfering with his Stones obligations. He also does other projects, as does Tim Ries and the other backup musicians. Whatever the reason she left, Lisa is a lovely, talented person who smiled and waved at me at several shows. I wish her the best in whatever she does.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 26, 2018 22:01

I’m sorry Lisa is gone, and sad about the grumbling here. She has a tremendous voice, added a lot over the years, and is lovely in every way. She was close enough to the Stones to sing at L’Wren’s memorial at Mick’s request, and Keith clearly adores her too. No disrespect to Sasha, but I miss her.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 26, 2018 22:48

The Rolling Stones have taught their hardcore fanbase to be rather cynical son of bitches in judging whatever decisions and moves by them..grinning smiley

I beg to disagree here. Yeah, I also think the official statements she states there about the Stones taking too much of her time are typical PR bullshit, but I still don't think she was shown a Trumpian gesture (a foot that is) no matter how we want to see Jagger being 'misogynist' (?!) or driven by 'demands for youthfulness'. Probably some ten to twenty years ago that explanation might ring some truth, but I think the solely pragmatism for 'do not change anything if it works fine' seems more plausible to describe the actions of Jagger & Co these days. If the image would be so important - 'we don't want to have over-weight, non-youthful-like people on stage' - they should have shown their bass player a foot yaers ago. Or never invite Taylor to do some gigs and tours with them. The image is surely important for them, but not that important any longer. Add there that I don't think all the people associated with the Rolling Stones are so 'small people' that it is unimaginable that they could leave the band by their own free will (the latter seems to a premise for many interpretations here).

I lean on thinking that it was her own decision to 'quit'. I think she came to realize by her own that she wasn't any longer suitable for the job she herself had helped to create and define when she was 25 years younger. Her latter-day 'old soul diva' role - something with which she tried to substitute or mature up the original 'hotter than hell' role - probably wasn't the one she was satisfied with - like I saw many fans also also feeling like (see the reports of her last tours here). She also seem to hint that direction in her interview here though not saying that directly (for natural reasons). Namely, probably she also recognized the 'demands' people here are projecting on Jagger. And the timing was perfect - as noted here, she was a star of the great Grammy-winning document, so that sort of new recognition surely helped the decision.

I also think that some people here have a bit old-fashionable ideas or demands for her 'solo career' or what is should be like. Like making some pop albums, hit singles of original music (something she tried once - ages ago - to realize that's not her kind of cup). She seemingly is doing something she seems to enjoy now. Having a group of interesting musicians she likes to work with and offering her a template she can fully accomplish herself and her most god-given talent: that of interpretation. And as is the norm of today - like noted here by someone - it is the live performing which defines the job description and salary these days. Every person I have heard attending to her group's concerts - that's I guess better calling them than that of 'shows' - seem to be strongly impressed (to name one - our DandelionPowderman here). Yeah, surely she always will be remembered and marketed as 'ex-Rolling Stone' as Mick Taylor or Bill Wyman is, but if that's way to collect more people to her shows, more power to that. That 'label' doesn't downplay her artistic integrity or independence, unlike singing every night "Gimme Shelter" and some background vocals and trying to act according to a role she is not any longer happy with - no matter how economically satisfying the supposed 'dream job in business' is. Yeah, probably she still will be 'twenty feet from stardom', but at least she is doing something she in this part of her career is happy with.

"She got a mind of her own, and she used it well".

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-26 23:16 by Doxa.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: March 26, 2018 23:00

Hairball
... sung with gusto and had great stage presence.

Two problems right there! She's a backing singer.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 26, 2018 23:29

Rocky Dijon wrote:
‘Supposing the fan conspiracy theory is correct (I think it's certainly possible and even likely), the article contains the statements it does because Lisa has management. Since she doesn't work for Jane Rose, her publicity angle isn't "those sons of bitches fired me" so much as a positive note about how great an experience it was and how she's building on her past accomplishments and pursuing a solo career.’

Rocky, are you saying the invisible Jane Rose has been the catalyst for the Keith and Mick WW3 and the ‘Sir’ bit, etc. / feeding poison in Keith’s ear,
she still carry’s a torch for Jagger whom *whisper whisper she once worked for?
LOL LOL

As for this topic, not touching w/ a 10 foot pole. I like both ladies, a lot.
S’all good.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1620
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home