Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
How can the Stones be So Good ...
Posted by: SomeGirlsXXX ()
Date: December 9, 2011 05:01

How do you front the greatest Rock-n-Roll band of all time, and be the greatest front man of all time, make the best music of all time; and repeatedly try and show people that you're inner self is really a ridiculous tool!

"#90 T.H.E. (The Hardest Ever), will.i.am Featuring Mick Jagger & Jennifer Lopez" (WTF!)

The Stones are my favorite band by 10 miles, but this guy really needs to get a clue. He is so lucky he wound up with Keith and the guys, and found the outlet he did. Otherwise I really think he'd be playing show tunes, after a shit career in some '90's boy band.

How do you make this song:

[www.reverbnation.com]

- and then subjugate yourself to even be in the same City as the skanky materialistic himbo, the artist formerly known as Puffy Boy Dipshit's sloppy seconds?

C'mon Mick - Have some integrity and stop embarrassing your band and your fans!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-09 13:21 by bv.

Re: How can the Stones be So Good & Mick Jagger so Gay
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 9, 2011 05:06

And some wonder why some of us get defensive about Mick....
Mick has always loved all kinds of music.
My question has always been:
How can the Stones be so diverse musically and have so many fans so musically close-minded?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 9, 2011 05:16

....yo SomeGirlsXXX...you just embarassed yourself.

Posted by: Turner ()
Date: December 9, 2011 05:16

Well, MJ has definitely released some pitiful knee slappers that make you wonder if he knows how to tell good music from bad. Even if I am not a fan of a certain genre, I can tell when an artist is putting their best effort forward...

Superheavy is manufactured drivel that should be mocked and Alfie was putrid tripe too. T.H.E. (The Hardest Ever) is indeed sub teenager stuff hardly musical at all. I could tolerate State of Shock, at least it sounded like they were having fun making it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-09 05:18 by Turner.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 9, 2011 05:20

"So Gay"? Lol how old are you?

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 9, 2011 05:20

Mick and Keith need each other, and each of them left to their own devices wouldn't do anything nearly as great as they do together.

I remember reading an interview with Keith back around the time Bridges To Babylon came out in which he said that Mick is very trendy, he's very into whatever music is happening right now, etc. And it was his job to try and reel Mick in from getting too far out there, bringing it back to being Stones appropriate, even if heavily influenced by other genres.

On the flip side I think you can say that without Mick's varied tastes, his finger always on the pulse of popular culture, etc, the Stones would just be a band that spent 50 years playing blues songs.

Mick challenges the band, but Keith keeps it somewhat in check. There's a balance. So it makes sense that when doing his own thing, Mick is going to do some un-Stones like things.

And just as you say Mick is lucky he found Keith and the boys, I think they're probably just as lucky, if not more so, to have found him. Mick can do some corny things, sure, but to me that's part of the charm. He's going to do is "acting" and make some questionable music, you just have to relax and not take things so seriously. The Stones survived Mick in Freejack, they'll survive Mick and JLo.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: December 9, 2011 05:24

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 9, 2011 05:25

Man somegirls, your posts title makes me wonder if you are even a nice person to put such closed minded and hateful message title like that. It says a lot more about you than Mick Jagger.

Posted by: Turner ()
Date: December 9, 2011 05:44

your posts title makes me wonder if you are even a nice person to put such closed minded and hateful message title like that. It says a lot more about you than Mick Jagger.
that's silly talk - was Mick closed minded and hateful when he wrote Some Girls or When the Whip Comes Down?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-09 06:48 by Turner.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: December 9, 2011 05:45

somegirls is probably the tool that punched Mick at Altamont. I hate you. I hate you.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 9, 2011 06:11

Using "Gay" as an all-purpose pejorative is stupid.

It's way below the level of discourse generally found on this site.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 9, 2011 06:18

Somegirls is completely offensive. Hope BV dumps him.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 9, 2011 06:21

Turner

that's silly talk - was Mick closed minded and hateful when he wrote Some Girls or When the Whip Comes Down?

Wait...Hold on
What is silly talk?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 9, 2011 06:24

loog droog
Really? I do wonder...

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: December 9, 2011 07:01

custom55

What a great picture - - love it! One might even say it's a gas, gas, gas!

Can anyone recall the female alter-ego names that the boys used for this picture? I know one of them was Flossie but I can't recall which one or the names of the others.....

Cheers!

Date: December 9, 2011 07:17

It's a guest shot done for friends and also to help broaden market appeal and keep him in the public eye. Ignore it if you think it's junk, but what's the harm? I understand his motivation and don't understand the big deal about him doing this track. If anything it will help the Stones, not hinder them.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 9, 2011 07:19

It's very gay to describe someone as gay. Unless they're actually gay.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 9, 2011 07:21

Please, SomeGirlsXX doesn't have to be banned. It's healthy for he/she/it to see that people do not agree with him. I have a feeling, and it's only my opinion, that the poster only likes the very narrow band of Mick from 1968-1974. The Stones were much, much more than a blues rock band. Brian was almost Oscar Wilde in his flamboyance, and just as eclectic in his pop tastes. Call him a poofter though and you probably would have got a face full of knuckles. Mick has always been inclusive. Everyone is welcome to groove with the Stones, black, gay, whatever. The Stones were lucky they all found each other. Mick is not as big without them, and vice versa. Don't hate, SomeGirlsXXX, just get a $1.50, and a six pack of beer, and we gonna dance all night..................

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: December 9, 2011 07:29

I always assumed that Mick was bisexual or "heteroflexible" or something - can I get a great big WHO CARES?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 9, 2011 07:42

I think (as Sarah Silverman put it) he means gay not in the homosexual sense, but in the really lame sense. Either way, dumb post.

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: December 9, 2011 08:24

71Tele
I think (as Sarah Silverman put it) he means gay not in the homosexual sense, but in the really lame sense. Either way, dumb post.

[m.urbandictionary.com]

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 9, 2011 08:29

I do believe the word "gay" has been rescued by today's younger people after it's hijacking by the homosexual community and it now means other things like "naff", "crap" or "rubbish" (as well as it's original meaning).

For most of it's life "gay" didn't mean homosexual. There are not exclusivity rights on the word "gay".

Some of you are behind the times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-09 08:33 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 9, 2011 09:06

The only reason to post with a title like that is to try and get people riled up.

Ignore him and he'll eventually go away.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 9, 2011 09:39

Who's gay?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 9, 2011 10:19

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="

?version=3&amp

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: December 9, 2011 10:42

loog droog

Agree 100% with your first sentence.

About 95% with the second. I find the racist, sexist, homophobic etc views occasionally posted here very concerning and not funny or clever. That is never what the Stones are about.

Yes, they have had some dodgy lyrics in their time, but a lot of that is tongue in cheek and a good way of keeping up their media hype as bad boys.

Date: December 9, 2011 10:52

SomeGirlsXXX
How do you front the greatest Rock-n-Roll band of all time, and be the greatest front man of all time, make the best music of all time; and repeatedly try and show people that you're inner self is really a ridiculous tool!

"#90 T.H.E. (The Hardest Ever), will.i.am Featuring Mick Jagger & Jennifer Lopez" (WTF!)

The Stones are my favorite band by 10 miles, but this guy really needs to get a clue. He is so lucky he wound up with Keith and the guys, and found the outlet he did. Otherwise I really think he'd be playing show tunes, after a shit career in some '90's boy band.

How do you make this song:

[www.reverbnation.com]

- and then subjugate yourself to even be in the same City as the skanky materialistic himbo, the artist formerly known as Puffy Boy Dipshit's sloppy seconds?

C'mon Mick - Have some integrity and stop embarrassing your band and your fans!

Some of the best rockers of all time are gay (Mercury, Halford). What was the question again?

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: December 9, 2011 11:03

NoCode0680
Mick and Keith need each other, and each of them left to their own devices wouldn't do anything nearly as great as they do together.

I remember reading an interview with Keith back around the time Bridges To Babylon came out in which he said that Mick is very trendy, he's very into whatever music is happening right now, etc. And it was his job to try and reel Mick in from getting too far out there, bringing it back to being Stones appropriate, even if heavily influenced by other genres.

On the flip side I think you can say that without Mick's varied tastes, his finger always on the pulse of popular culture, etc, the Stones would just be a band that spent 50 years playing blues songs.

Mick challenges the band, but Keith keeps it somewhat in check. There's a balance. So it makes sense that when doing his own thing, Mick is going to do some un-Stones like things.

And just as you say Mick is lucky he found Keith and the boys, I think they're probably just as lucky, if not more so, to have found him. Mick can do some corny things, sure, but to me that's part of the charm. He's going to do is "acting" and make some questionable music, you just have to relax and not take things so seriously. The Stones survived Mick in Freejack, they'll survive Mick and JLo.

Perfectly said. Mick can be too slick and commericial. Keith adds the required grit and rawness to the magic formula. Conversely, Keith solo is great but his music benefits from Mick's commercial leanings to balance it all out. It's the perfect rock and roll blend. The Glimmer twins magic..and the Stones themselves are a perfect example of something where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: December 9, 2011 11:25

Mick Jagger interview
[www.spinner.com]

And there was a lot of cultural changes in the attitudes towards gay people. Is that where 'When the Whip Comes Down' came from?

I guess. There was a lot of clubs, a lot of mixed clubs and so on at that time, that was the first time there had been mixed gay and straight dance nights. Normally it had been very segregated and then you started to get these mixed nights where you find yourself line dancing and that sort of thing. It was very amusing, trying to do these dances I've never been able to do very well [laughs] but I tried. That was really funny.

Did that song lead to press speculation about your personal life?

About my personal life? I don't really remember. I think everyone took it, I don't know. You're the only person that's ever asked me [laughs].

Really?

[Laughs] Nobody sort of either listened to the lyrics or just took it with a pinch of salt, put it down to the New York experience of one summer, I suppose. But it was, no, it was very much part of the burgeoning lifestyle at that moment.

Right. So, it never led to you having to field questions about, like, "Is Mick Jagger gay?"

No, I never had to, really. I think people never bothered asking me those questions. They either assumed I was straight or assumed I wasn't [laughs].

Not to be offensive but that didn't even come up with all those tabloid rumors about you and David Bowie?

[Laughs] Please don't be offensive and bring those things up. [Laughs] That wasn't 1976, I don't think.

To SomeGirlsXXX
HEY,PUT YOUR UMBRELLA UP YOUR ASS, BABY!

Date: December 9, 2011 11:28

Somewhere in this thread "Alfie" is used as an example for some lame, gay Jagger output. I want to stand up for "Alfie"; that was some great work. Not just the "Old Habits" single. but all of it.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1836
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home